1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Depression

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Dylan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

my memories of family life are littered with depressed relatives, successful suicides, failed attempts, my own bipolar scenario, mood stabilisers, anti psychotics, anti depressants, alcoholism, other addictions, tranqs, blah blah blah. if I have any advice it is to get a system of doing a lot of stuff, use all your energy well, don't give the demons space.

mwake likes this.
  2. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

The thing is - it's like any illness - it can be treated and you can get better.

I'd say I'm probably happier now than ever - the meds just act like a safety net - so when I fall I don't fall too far.

Fortunately for me, I'm not a manic depressive - mine tend to be linked to some emotional trauma that sets it off. I don't have the lows I had years ago. I can generally close the door on a demon that I know would of had me twisting and turning.

3. Avmenon

Avmenon Well-Known Member

What brought it home was one evening where I just couldn't stop crying and was just rocking on my bed. I felt the lowest I've ever felt and although I've never contemplated suicide, I felt that things would be easier if I were dead. Total self doubt, total self loathing.

I understand this all too well.

John, you'll get through this..we all will...I dont know how the end will be, but I know we'll keep fighting.

As for me, i'm taking it one day at a time.

Just keep going i guess (thanks Sean)

4. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Well-Known Member

Some really good posts in this thread and I just want to say you're all top, top people from what I see day in day out on the board.

And while Im not claiming to be an expert on depression in general, if any of you have questions about the medications, please feel free to PM me or Facebook message me. I will do my best to provide good, honest answers.

My best wishes with you all.

5. Spionkop69

Spionkop69 Get the cretins out! Member

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=47687.msg1433607#msg1433607 date=1322447792]
    What brought it home was one evening where I just couldn't stop crying and was just rocking on my bed. I felt the lowest I've ever felt and although I've never contemplated suicide, I felt that things would be easier if I were dead. Total self doubt, total self loathing.

John, you'll get through this..we all will...I dont know how the end will be, but I know we'll keep fighting.

[/quote]

Avvy, I know that your health system is different to ours. But if you haven't already, then please go and see a doc and get him to prescribe you some medication. At the very least you will know if it can help and give you some days when you can function.

I was ceasing to function on the things that gave me enjoyment above all else, like my work, LFC and my family. Since taking them I at least can function to a higher level and that's helped me "come out" and address the wider issue - my depression.

Its a little bit simplistic but before the pills, I couldn't be bothered with going to a game and I could have gone to many and was asked to. Since taking the pills, I've started wanting to go and actually going again. This is in turn has picked up other things. Don't get me wrong LFC is not the be all and end all, but its the little steps.

They help you cope with the day to day and then you can put yourself in a place where you can deal with the wider issues - ie beating this illness. My bout continues because yet again I can't sleep and insomnia is a fucking torture.

But I am glad that Dylan has started this thread as its giving me an anonymous (well almost) place to put my feelings. When I went into GC and saw this thread I was about to start one about Collymore's tweet which was in my first post.

So again, thanks Dylan. It clearly doesn't discriminate on political leaning either!!!

6. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Well-Known Member

One point I want to make about antidepressant medication is that it is usually just one part of the solution, along with counselling and the support of loved ones. Also, not everyone benefits from medication (most studies show that approx 70% benefit) and that it occasionally takes trials of two or more medications to find the one that is appropriate for an individual. And even among medications within the same class they may have different side effect profiles so it is important to be very open and forthwith with your care provider to ensure that they help you select the right one for you. And often people feel there is a stigma with taking medication but there really isnt. It is a tool like any other, and can be a valuable tool to help overcome an insidious illness. Medication is not a silver bullet but it can help you get into a position to battle the illness yourself.

mwake likes this.
  7. Spionkop69

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=47687.msg1433630#msg1433630 date=1322457410]
    One point I want to make about antidepressant medication is that it is usually just one part of the solution, along with counselling and the support of loved ones. Also, not everyone benefits from medication (most studies show that approx 70% benefit) and that it occasionally takes trials of two or more medications to find the one that is appropriate for an individual. And even among medications within the same class they may have different side effect profiles so it is important to be very open and forthwith with your care provider to ensure that they help you select the right one for you. And often people feel there is a stigma with taking medication but there really isnt. It is a tool like any other, and can be a valuable tool to help overcome an insidious illness. Medication is not a silver bullet but it can help you get into a position to battle the illness yourself.
    [/quote]
    Spot on.

8. Dylan

Dylan Active Member

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=47687.msg1433630#msg1433630 date=1322457410]
    [/quote]

Agreed. I take citalopram but the first meds i was prescribed made me feel physically awful.

9. Y1

Y1 Splash Member

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=47687.msg1433607#msg1433607 date=1322447792]

[/quote]

Sorry to hear this Avvy. Hope you get personal support as Dark says, apart from medications.

10. Dylan

Dylan Active Member

I think it's really important more people understand more about depression. A number of people have commented in the Gary Speed thread about how he couldnhave done such a thing to his wife and kids.

Once you've been diagnosed with depression, doctors and counsellors ask everytime they see you if you've had any thoughts aboutnself-harm or taking your own life. The first few times I was asked, I said I hadn't.

But then at one of my sessions with my counsellor, she told me about risk-taking which is very common amongst people with depression. You think you're invincible (nothing to lose?) and start taking risks you wouldn't usually take. Your mind blocks everything else out - the risk itself, the danger or hurt you're exposing your loved ones to, everything goes and you plough in with taking your risk.

This struck a chord for me because a few days prior, I was driving at night on an open motorway...not a car to be seen ahead or behind...and i just decided to see how fast i could go. Believe me, i was absolutely flying. Then all of a sudden i realised if i flipped the car, i was a deadman, no chance of surviving at the speed i was going. I got one hell of a fright.

When i told my counsellor she said this was very common and one of the risks they always look out for. With many suicides, the person involved perhaps hasn't tried to take their own life, they've just tried to see how far they can go and then something has gone wrong and they've suffered a terrible accident.

Either way, the experts say that at the point of suicide, the last thing on the person's mind is their family...so it's not so selfish afterall.

11. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

distressing to read so many of you struggling with this horrible affliction. i only know John in person, but i guess nothing sums up depression more neatly than seeing him write that he genuinely fears he's unlikeable etc. of all people!

incidentally, i've always despaired at the attitude plenty of people still have of looking down on those who are driven to suicide - 'coward's way out' etc. seems such a cruel and shallow response.

xx

12. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

If it helps, I suffered terribly for years but haven't for a long time. You can get better.

13. Jürgen4PM

Jürgen4PM Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with you lads.

Stevie mate: I hope the many beatings i've dished out to you don't play any part ;)

14. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=47687.msg1433631#msg1433631 date=1322458099]
    [/quote]
    Spot on.
    [/quote]

Yes it is. A (happily now recovered) mate of mine took Prozac for the first three months of his illness, somewhat unwillingly at first because of its reputation (we had to work on him a bit, albeit carefully, to consult his doctor) but it was exactly what he needed to give him a bit of stability and help him start the recovery process.

15. Spionkop69

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47687.msg1433706#msg1433706 date=1322474384]
    [quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=47687.msg1433631#msg1433631 date=1322458099]
    [/quote]
    Spot on.
    [/quote]

Yes it is. A (happily now recovered) mate of mine took Prozac for the first three months of his illness, somewhat unwillingly at first because of its reputation (we had to work on him a bit, albeit carefully, to consult his doctor) but it was exactly what he needed to give him a bit of stability and help him start the recovery process.
    [/quote]

I am taking CItalopram on a relatively low dosage and the first few weeks were tough as there were some side effects that have now gone. But its only a crutch. The next stage, which is where I'm at is understanding the triggers and then managing the emotions, thoughts and behaviours that follow. Effectively re thinking my approach when the triggers come up.

I look at it as a reconditioning of stuff that is deeply conditioned inside me. I don't want to end up completely different, just manage those destructive triggers that can come on for any number of reasons and block them out or re route them into positive thoughts, emotions and behaviours.

Dylan said about the castrophising of events and that's something I do a lot. I do it because I work on the theory that if I can deal with the worst case then everything will be alright, but I can't deal with worst case scenarios all the time and allow it to consume me. There are other negative behaviours I have too and the first course is teaching me the theory behind it. Some of it is so obvious to me its like sucking eggs, but if that were really the case why was I not already doing it? Therein lies the issue to overcome.

16. Dave

Dave Very Active Member

Is medication really the answer?? Is it a stop gap?? Or do some people stay on the tablets forever because if they stop taking the medication the depression comes back??

17. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

I had a lot of depression in my family, and suffer from anxiety and sleeplessness myself, though thankfully not depression. The thing is, I did have shit to get anxious about I suppose, even if my body was overreacting to it. Anyway, I think it is pretty brave of everyone to divulge their inner-demons, and I'd also say, on the positive front, it probably signals that there is much less stigma attached to these things now. Loads of us are a wee bitty mental as it turns out, and most of these sane bastards are dicks anyway.

18. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=47687.msg1433674#msg1433674 date=1322469258]

incidentally, i've always despaired at the attitude plenty of people still have of looking down on those who are driven to suicide - 'coward's way out' etc. seems such a cruel and shallow response.

xx
    [/quote]

Yes, I agree with you there. Those people are essentially saying that they are stronger so would obviously be able to deal with the problems easily, but I'm sure in a lot of cases they would have no idea how the person who was driven to suicide would have been feeling.

Having said that, there may be reasons why some have that kind of attitude.

On the thread as a whole, my heart goes out to those of you suffering from this. I have personally had some experience of this, though certainly mildly in comparison. Its a dreadful condition though and one that is still hugely misunderstood by many.

I mean, how many other illnesses are you just expected to 'sort yourself out', 'pull yourself together' or at best 'well take these pills'? And only too often when people are signed off work with depression it is met with a roll of the eyes and referred to as "depression". People wouldn't do that for other things would they - 'oh, x will be off for a while. He claims he has "cancer". Typical'.

19. SaintGeorge67

SaintGeorge67 Well-Known Member

The problem Is an awful lot of people do blag it. I'm not saying that's te case here obviously, but I see it happen all the time in our place, until their sick pay runs out, when they return better than ever.

20. Spionkop69

[quote author=Richey link=topic=47687.msg1433728#msg1433728 date=1322478440]
    [quote author=peterhague link=topic=47687.msg1433674#msg1433674 date=1322469258]

xx
    [/quote]

Yes, I agree with you there. Those people are essentially saying that they are stronger so would obviously be able to deal with the problems easily, but I'm sure in a lot of cases they would have no idea how the person who was driven to suicide would have been feeling.

Having said that, there may be reasons why some have that kind of attitude.

On the thread as a whole, my heart goes out to those of you suffering from this. I have personally had some experience of this, though certainly mildly in comparison. Its a dreadful condition though and one that is still hugely misunderstood by many.

I mean, how many other illnesses are you just expected to 'sort yourself out', 'pull yourself together' or at best 'well take these pills'? And only too often when people are signed off work with depression it is met with a roll of the eyes and referred to as "depression". People wouldn't do that for other things would they - 'oh, x will be off for a while. He claims he has "cancer". Typical'.
    [/quote]

I remember laughing at a Ricky Gervais stand up (yeah I know) where he mocked people with ME. His punchline throughout was "its not a disease". I laughed because I thought it was true. But frankly, I'd reckon that ME has its causes rooted in depression.

And I'll also freely admit that I used to have that attitude towards people who claimed they were depressed. Ignorant fool that I was!