• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Modo link=topic=44931.msg1366003#msg1366003 date=1310829411]
Yes it is.
“This city has two great teams - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.”
[/quote]
Man Utd recently hijacked this quote!?

Kuyt, 30, is delighted Liverpool have got back to ‘winging’ ways with the arrival of wideman Downing from Aston Villa.

He added: “He did very well for Villa last season and I believe he was their best player.

“When I arrived we had two very good players who could play in the same position and we are getting back there. There is more rivalry.”

LIVERPOOL’s big new £19million ­summer signing Stewart Downing has been hailed as “Every manager’s dream”.

The glowing verdict on Stewart Downing, 26, comes from former England boss Steve McClaren, who worked with the Liverpool-bound winger during his five-year reign as Middlesbrough manager.

There?were plenty of?raised eyebrows on Merseyside last week when the Reds agreed to meet Aston Villa’s huge asking price for the England ace after having an ­initial £15m bid rejected.

But while their supporters are bombarding club forums and websites claiming Downing is a waste of money, McClaren is ­adamant Kop counterpart Kenny Dalglish is adding real quality to the ranks.

The Nottingham Forest boss, who picked Downing 11 times for England, said: “He’s not one of those players where you pay for the ­personality. Stewart just likes to go out and get on with his job.

His assets are his left foot, his work rate and professional attitude. He will play wherever you ask him – and he makes and scores goals.

“He’s been an underappreciated player – unless you are the ­manager of his club, because he’s every manager’s dream.

“He got a lot of criticism, ­especially early on in his career, with people saying he wasn’t a top player, he couldn’t do this and couldn’t do that.

“But, while I was at ­Middlesbrough, Stewart was ­consistently our most productive player in terms of assists and those crosses from the left.

“Now he’s developed that same ability from the right side too.

“He has progressed as a player. He is more complete and flexible, which is the key to being a top player. This is ­absolutely why big clubs have become ­interested in him.”

Meanwhile, former Villa star Colin Gibson says Downing should not be labelled a traitor for turning his back on Villa for Liverpool.

He was Villa’s Player of the Year last season and, having regained his England place, the winger asked for a transfer last week when Liverpool came in for him.

Gibson left Villa for Manchester United in the mid-1980s after then chairman Doug Ellis pushed through the deal.

And Gibson said: “It will be a loss for Villa as he is a quality player but it was always going to be a problem when he decided he wanted to leave. I’m sure Downing is of the opinion that he has had to take that opportunity now ­rather than later, so I don’t blame Stewart at all.

“I’m told he is a very nice lad and I’m sure he believes that he is going to a club that is bigger and better than Aston Villa.

“Liverpool haven’t performed particularly well over the last two or three years but under Kenny they might just have a resurgence.

“I can’t blame Stewart at all because, unfortunately, with the way Aston Villa is at the moment it seems more like a stepping stone club.

“Players who haven’t moved direct to one of the big clubs have come to Villa, proved they can play in the league and moved on to, what they perceive, bigger clubs.

“Now I would like to see all the money from the Young and Downing transfers ­reinvested into the squad.”

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=44931.msg1366172#msg1366172 date=1310850841]
[quote author=Farkmaster link=topic=44931.msg1365798#msg1365798 date=1310796476]
There's always only one place to go, the best most lucrative place at that particular point in time.
[/quote]FYI Farky, Spurs and Arsenal had bid for Downing at the same time as us and at the last minute Manchester United put a bid in. Downing didnt even want to talk to them, and given the relative offers you would imagine he has chosen us on merit, not on financial gain.
Ive not been massively keen on this transfer especially not for huge money, but the one thing i would say is that im 100% that Downing wanted to be here and only here.
Maybe because his father is a fan, dunno really but he DID turn down Arsenal, Manchester and Spurs to come to us.
[/quote]

I'd love to believe that's true, but I'm struggling to. Where did you hear that?

It came from the same person who said we were interested in downing way back in march, & who said the fee was agreed more than 24 hours before it was announced.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=44931.msg1366257#msg1366257 date=1310891314]
I thought the scum might bid for Downing, they've only got about 150 wingers.
[/quote]

Not sure about that, mate. Young and Nani I'll give you but Giggs is more of a CM these days, it remains to be seen whether Valencia can get back to what he was before, and Obertan is cr@p.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=44931.msg1366264#msg1366264 date=1310892571]
[/quote]

Not sure about that, mate. Young and Nani I'll give you but Giggs is more of a CM these days, it remains to be seen whether Valencia can get back to what he was before, and Obertan is cr@p.
[/quote]

Well of course i was over egging it mate, but could you see Fergie wanting Downing for £16-£20mil when he already has Young, Nani, Valencia (who i thought came back very well personally), Park and Giggs (if need be) to pick from?

I could be wrong but i'd be amazed if this rumour is true.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=44931.msg1366282#msg1366282 date=1310893933]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=44931.msg1366264#msg1366264 date=1310892571]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well of course i was over egging it mate, but could you see Fergie wanting Downing for £16-£20mil when he already has Young, Nani, Valencia (who i thought came back very well personally), Park and Giggs (if need be) to pick from?

I could be wrong but i'd be amazed if this rumour is true.
[/quote]

Exackerly.

And none of you think he'd stick his oar in with a high bid to both piss kenny off & try to make us pay more? I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.

It's a win win for him, if they accept his bid & downing agrees to talk to him then he's potentially scuppered our move yet can offer low wages or shit conditions to scrap the deal, & our fans turn on downing. If they don't accept they may still use it to try to force us to up our bid, again potentially scuppering the deal.

The villa forum does make for some hilarious reading, first Downings a hero, then when he's linked to us he's an incredibly loyal person who'd never leave, now he's an absolute twat that spat in the face of every villa fan, all this whilst going from player of the season to some shite footie player who isn't fit to lace youngster boots

[quote author=Lewy link=topic=44931.msg1366296#msg1366296 date=1310895267]
The villa forum does make for some hilarious reading, first Downings a hero, then when he's linked to us he's an incredibly loyal person who'd never leave, now he's an absolute twat that spat in the face of every villa fan, all this whilst going from player of the season to some shite footie player who isn't fit to lace youngster boots
[/quote]

a bit like us during the torres debacle

[quote author=Lewy link=topic=44931.msg1366296#msg1366296 date=1310895267]
[/quote]

TBF I remember some fucking awful comments about Gerrard during that Chelsea saga. Loads of people were making excuses for Torres too, using the form is temporary class is permanent argument, then as soon as he left he's crocked & will never be the same player again.

Revisionism & hypocrisy are the right of the modern football fan.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=44931.msg1366295#msg1366295 date=1310895113]
And none of you think he'd stick his oar in with a high bid to both piss kenny off & try to make us pay more? I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.

It's a win win for him, if they accept his bid & downing agrees to talk to him then he's potentially scuppered our move yet can offer low wages or shit conditions to scrap the deal, & our fans turn on downing. If they don't accept they may still use it to try to force us to up our bid, again potentially scuppering the deal.
[/quote]

Why didn't he bid for Doni, Henderson and Adam then?

I've no idea, maybe he feels the downing deal is more important? If he did it to every single deal it'd become obvious to the target & the club & wouldn't have any effect. But if you think Utd targeting players we are is new you're sadly mistaken. Under houllier & rafa he did it a fair bit too, fucking up some deals in the process.

Sorry FFF i think its bollocks personally.

If it does happen to be true, i'm sure Downing/LFC won't keep it to themselves for too long.

Out of interest which deals did Fergie apparently fuck up for us whilst Rafa was our manager?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=44931.msg1366300#msg1366300 date=1310895612]
[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=44931.msg1366295#msg1366295 date=1310895113]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he did at the very least make some rumbling around the Adam deal.

[quote author=Mystic link=topic=44931.msg1366308#msg1366308 date=1310896774]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=44931.msg1366300#msg1366300 date=1310895612]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he did at the very least make some rumbling around the Adam deal.
[/quote]

Yeah i seem to remember some paper talk of them being interested (as were another 5-6 clubs) but i can't recall any bid being reported.

He made a point in January of saying he was worth 10m when we were bidding 8m. That's sticking his oar in.

As for players he fucked up for us, Barry is one that springs to mind.

He was an absolute cunt over Adam back in January. He made comments after they played Blackpool (and when it was widely reported we'd had a bid rejected) that "his corners are worth £10m alone", this when Blackpool were insistent that we pay £10m.

I don't know whether there's any truth in the Downing story, but don't underestimate the cuntishness of Slur.

[/quote]

[/quote]

you forgot Bebe

Oh i wouldn't disagree with regards to Fergie sticking his oar in like he did about Adams (thats a given), but actually making an official bid for a player that he has no intentions of signing.........na.

I don't buy it either but if he can stick his oar in to fuck up another clubs deal, he will. Regards a bid anyway, the point about him trying to derail the deal is neither here nor there, it doesn't alter the fact that they might have bid or been interested.

After taking into account the options Fergie has to play out wide, do you think he was even slightly interested mark?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=44931.msg1366317#msg1366317 date=1310898012]
After taking into account the options Fergie has to play out wide, do you think he was even interested mark?
[/quote]

Interested in improving the team?

Nani is reportedly not in the good books and we all know there's no chance of a reprieve once that happens, Valencia plays on the right and is injury prone, Giggs often plays in the middle these days and Park remains a rotated player (if an underrated one, 28 apps last year and 8 goals!). Young is versatile and can play wide or upfront so I think there's room for another yeah.

managers being interested in a player doensn't automatically make that player good and managers not being interested in a player doesn't automatically make that player poor.

I remember 3 seasons ago alonso was on the open market and NO ONE came in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom