• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=singlerider link=topic=44931.msg1366434#msg1366434 date=1310916657]
Park is very underrated, even by Scum fans imo
[/quote]

he's excellent.

So those who are frothing about the signing of Downing decide to believe the £20m fee and those that aren't choose to believe the lower end.

The Sunday Mirror has the cost of Henderson differently in 2 separate articles in the same edition! So frankly I'm not sure many apart from those that negotiated it know the true deal. I'm not saying don't discuss it but lets have some sort of common sense.

Value for money will be dictated by what he does or doesn't do for the club surely?

Ultimately yes, but it's legitimate to take a view at this stage. Otherwise that argument could be used to justify paying any fee, however high.

It's like with all transfer fees. The selling club and the buying club fans state the extreme that suits them, as do the fans that wanted a player against those that didn't. It's fucking daft.

You see it all the time... it wasn't 20 it was 16 rising to 18 if blah blah and then someone goes, no it was 22 in one payment.

Well just stop. a) it's crap and b) you don't know and c) it has no baring on what happens on the pitch and d) it's not your money and e) bloodfart

[quote author=Krump link=topic=44931.msg1366632#msg1366632 date=1310981858]
It's like with all transfer fees. The selling club and the buying club fans state the extreme that suits them, as do the fans that wanted a player against those that didn't. It's fucking daft.

You see it all the time... it wasn't 20 it was 16 rising to 18 if blah blah and then someone goes, no it was 22 in one payment.

Well just stop. a) it's crap and b) you don't know and c) it has no baring on what happens on the pitch and d) it's not your money and e) bloodfart

[/quote]

technically it is our money.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=44931.msg1366636#msg1366636 date=1310982173]

[/quote]

technically it is our money.
[/quote]

Excuse me? How on earth is it our money?!

Through paying for sky/season tickets/shirts etc some of our money is going on downing.

Problem with that argument is that it ceased to be our money when we bought stuff from them

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=44931.msg1366640#msg1366640 date=1310982665]
Through paying for sky/season tickets/shirts etc some of our money is going on downing.

Problem with that argument is that it ceased to be our money when we bought stuff from them
[/quote]

Exactly, it's like saying I part funded Tesco's new superstore in Bicknacre.

[/quote]

Quiffer!

mary+1.jpg

Downing has officially gotten the nr 19 jersey. So; Babel, Morientes, Peggy Arpexheadisface, Brad Friedel, Mark Kennedy and Torben Fucking Piechnik.

Lets hope you can do better than them eh!!

[quote author=Krump link=topic=44931.msg1366689#msg1366689 date=1310989037]
Sorry, am I quiffing? Am I doing it regularly? Is there an ointment or pill that I could use?
[/quote]

*puts on elbow length rubber glove*

[quote author=Buddha link=topic=44931.msg1366727#msg1366727 date=1310992358]
[quote author=Krump link=topic=44931.msg1366689#msg1366689 date=1310989037]
Sorry, am I quiffing? Am I doing it regularly? Is there an ointment or pill that I could use?
[/quote]

*puts on elbow length rubber glove*
[/quote]

Is that really you Mamma Mia ?

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=44931.msg1366707#msg1366707 date=1310990301]
Downing has officially gotten the nr 19 jersey. So; Babel, Morientes, Peggy Arpexheadisface, Brad Friedel, Mark Kennedy and Torben Fucking Piechnik.

[/quote]He is going to love wearing it the season after next

[quote author=the count link=topic=44931.msg1366742#msg1366742 date=1310993932]

[/quote]He is going to love wearing it the season after next
[/quote]

Right on!

[/quote]

Jesus H. Christ! Did he ask for that or did we force it on him? He was nnnn..nineteen at Boro I think so prob. the former.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=44931.msg1366808#msg1366808 date=1310999006]
downing's number at M'bro - 19
downing's number at Villa - 6

it's destiny I tells ya!
[/quote]Your'e right.
If we win the premiership this season then Downing has got to change to jersey number six for the following one.

Or perhaps he could have twenty in the Premiership and six in the Champs League

Gerard Houllier has backed Stewart Downing to prove his worth and succeed at Anfield after making his £20m move from Aston Villa to Liverpool.
Houllier, who left Villa Park at the end of last season on health grounds, became a huge admirer of the 26-year-old winger during his spell as manager.
"Stewart will fit in very well at Liverpool," Houllier told BBC Sport.
"I like him very much as a player and I am certain he will be a very big asset to them."
The acquisition of the former Middlesbrough player takes the Reds' spending to more than £100m since American John W Henry took control in October.
[img alt=Stewart Downing]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54068000/jpg/_54068389_downing_pool.jpg[/img] Downing volleys winner against Liverpool
Houllier, who spent six years as manager at Anfield, is convinced that even at £20m Downing will prove to be an astute signing for Kenny Dalglish's reshaped Liverpool team.
The Frenchman added: "Stewart is a very modern player. He can attack and defend and was involved in so many goals for Villa last season.
"He is one of the best crossers of a ball in the Premier League with [either his] right or left foot and is very skilful.
"He operates well on either side. I played him on the left but he also likes to play on the right, where he can cut inside and pose problems.
"He is adaptable and versatile and of course all managers appreciate that.
STEWART DOWNING FACTFILE Continue reading the main story

• [li] 1984: July - Born in Middlesbrough[/li]
    [li] 2002: April - Makes senior Boro debut v Ipswich[/li]
    [li] 2003: Oct-Dec Plays for Sunderland on loan[/li]
    [li] 2004: Feb - England Under-21 debut[/li]
    [li] 2005: Feb - Full England debut v Holland[/li]
    [li] 2008: Feb: Signs new five-year deal at Boro[/li]
    [li] 2009: Jan - Written transfer request rejected. May - Boro relegated. Signs four-year deal with Villa[/li]
    [li] 2011: July - Joins Liverpool[/li]
"Stewart is very, very professional. He takes on board everything you tell him and is very intelligent about the game.
"He picks up the details that can be so important. He has played for England but I now think he is ready to go on and confirm and consolidate his career as an international.
"As I said, he can play right or left or even behind the striker and has the versatility to fit into different systems, whether it is a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.
"I very much enjoyed working with him at Aston Villa.
"Along with Ashley Young, he really improved his game. He is a good trainer, works hard and is that modern player.
"Stewart is also a team-player and if you are under the cosh he is willing to do more than his normal job, which is a very important quality.
"As a coach or manager, Stewart is a player who never disappoints you.
"Over 10 games he will give you nine very good performances and this is why I think he will be a good signing for Liverpool."
He added: "It was disappointing that Villa couldn't keep Stewart, but when a player does not want to sign a new contract you have to get the best deal you can and then find a replacement, which is what I am sure Villa will do."

More than anything I'm excited that Downing is a reliable wide left player that will give us the real balance we've been missing since we have Riera and free Suarez to wreak havoc.

[quote author=Shelvey link=topic=44931.msg1367307#msg1367307 date=1311089654]
Ahh, the peace of mind most of use were looking for... Downing will be great for us.
[/quote]

Arf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom