• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

English Cricket/ *The Ashes*!

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=41229.msg1238040#msg1238040 date=1293439605]
India 205 all out ... Steyn with 6 wickets ... He's just phenomenal.

I still don't think he's near how good Allan Donald was in his prime for us though ...
[/quote]

Agreed. Steyn is a very fine bowler, but Donald was lethal.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=41229.msg1238049#msg1238049 date=1293444647]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=41229.msg1238040#msg1238040 date=1293439605]
India 205 all out ... Steyn with 6 wickets ... He's just phenomenal.

I still don't think he's near how good Allan Donald was in his prime for us though ...
[/quote]

Agreed. Steyn is a very fine bowler, but Donald was lethal.
[/quote]

Donald was just a nasty human being as a bowler - who can forget that over with Atherton?

SA are 74-4 at lunch, with AB out on the last ball ... Not a good start, but will make King J happy as it should be a good one.

There's going to be a bit of blood on the flooor at Cricket Australia after this series (if not after this test).

Hilditch will go - Ponting will probably step down as Captain, but there are serious questions about Clarke's ability to step in as captain.

The Aussie press is gunning for blood.

It needs to happen and it will be good for Australian cricket in the long term. Ultimately the team Australia have now is the downside to having such a great batch of cricketeers over the last 15 years or so.

Fair play to England, their bowling in the first innings was superb and their batting determined. This is the 3rd ashes series I've seen over here and probably the best all round performance by a visiting team on Australian soil. Englands fielding has improved expotentially over the last few years.

Great days cricket on day one - day two was boring as fuck as England ground a meek Australia in to the ground - it say much for the Aussies performance when Pontings hissy fit is the mian talking point - excellent batsman - but been found out as a captain time and time again when his back is up against the wall.

I have stopped following the Ashes as of today. This is the 4th game, and i have not seen much fight and spirit in a game other than the first test and second day of third test. There has been way too much flogging the dead horse, where one side has proven way too strong for the other in any given test match. Further, Ponting and his shitty character has taken the fun out of following the game. Ryan, you do really deserve a medal.

SA vs India is interestingly poised.

India with a lead of 160+ in the third innings and 6 wickets in hand. Kallis' run out was the luck break that set up a first innings lead for India in a low scoring match. But India did deserve some luck. Dhoni has lost 14 out of the last 15 tosses. I think that has got to be a record. When you are touring, the toss does help. Anyway there is still plenty in the wicket for the bowlers, so the toss was not really that crucial in the end. Indian batsmen played well in the first innings. They were positive and quickly got the runs on board. Only Tendulkar and Sehwag got out to lose shots in both innings. That is how Sehwag plays, but Sachin could have done a bit more.

India would feel nervous about setting anything less than 300 on board. Indian bowling does not really measure up to SA's. A lot would depend on Zak and Bhaji. Sreesanth is a hit or miss bowler. Ishant Sharma has lost the plot. Good match this. I can't call it.

If you support Australia the series is torture and not worth watching. I would have loved to have been in the MCG Ryan you lucky fucker.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=41229.msg1238072#msg1238072 date=1293455001]
There's going to be a bit of blood on the flooor at Cricket Australia after this series (if not after this test).

Hilditch will go - Ponting will probably step down as Captain, but there are serious questions about Clarke's ability to step in as captain.

[/quote]

In all honesty I can't see Ponting stepping down just yet, there is no way in hell he would want his last stand as captain to be a losing Ashes side.

England all out

Siddle salvages some personal pride from the match, picking up 5 wickets.

Trott not out for 168. Lovely knock - although he could have been more adventurous today and pushed for his 200.

Game over. Ashes retained.

Happy days.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=41229.msg1238193#msg1238193 date=1293497036]
He might not have a choice.
[/quote]

They wont sack him. Who the hell is going to replace him?

Clark? Hussey? I don't know.

I thought there might be a chance that the ACB are sick of his antics, or that they need a fresh squad and a fresh start after this series, and switching an ageing Captain wouldn't be a bad way to go about it.

Hussey only has a couple of years left at best, and Clarke from all accounts does not have the support of the squad.
Don't get me wrong, I think he and half the team should be booted, I just don't see the ACB being that adventurous.

I know Cameron White has been mooted a few times, but I doubt it would happen.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=41229.msg1238284#msg1238284 date=1293541165]
Whites not good enough to hold down a test spot
[/quote]

He played what 4 tests in India? Tests where he batted at no 8 and was used as a spinner.
I think he'd have far more to offer if they played him further up the order.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=41229.msg1238285#msg1238285 date=1293541282]
Should fit right into that team then.
[/quote]

His batting average is probably higher than the first 6 combined at the moment *tongue firmly in cheek*

for fuck's sake - SA were doing so well, 60+ off 12 overs and they've just had a mini-collapse .... 83-3 after 17 overs with Smith, Peterson and Amla gone. Kallis was just dropped too.

Kallis drop may end up proving very costly for India. The wicket has become slightly easier to bat on. The sun has been shining for the better part of the day. 303 is a very reachable target, and it is also defensible at the same time. It would have been ideal to have another 50 runs on board, well this is what you've got. India needs to get Kallis and AB Devilliers out as soon as possible.

Harbhajan has been bowling well after a very very long time. He has got the straighter one and the wrong one going again, that should put some doubt in the batsmen's mind.

This is a proper contest. It's how Test Cricket should be. It is a pity the game will end in the 4th day. I prefer Tests that go the distance and still provide a cliff-hanger finish. If only India had at least one tour game, the first Test could have proved a better contest as well.

India need to worry about Kallis, AB & Boucher. The rest of the batters are not imposing (Prince is very off form, and being selected for reasons other than his cricket).

It's going to be a great finish ... 50/50 as of now.

[quote author=marquis link=topic=41229.msg1238292#msg1238292 date=1293542606]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=41229.msg1238285#msg1238285 date=1293541282]
Should fit right into that team then.
[/quote]

His batting average is probably higher than the first 6 combined at the moment *tongue firmly in cheek*
[/quote]

My batting average would get me in the Australian test team at the minute and I haven't played since the early 90's...

White's bowling is awful, but is a very useful one-day player... but a test player he is most certainjly not.

Ponting's almost captain by default at the moment, and that does hiom a great disservice, becaus he's an excellent batsman.

Clarke is vice captain by default at the moment.

If you look at state cricket level, apart from White, North & Katich captain are the most recognisable captains and their respewctive test careers are probably at an end as well.

Hussey's had a good series so far - but h'e bveen very close to the chop as well.

I suppose the only thing in Clarkes favour is that if he's doesn't have the support of the current players... it might not be an issue as a lot of them should be geting the arse from the team anyway.

Ryan if at all possible could you go to the next test too. That be great thanks.

You little bulldog charm you.

[quote author=IanTheRed link=topic=41229.msg1238494#msg1238494 date=1293580273]
http://www.vip--sport.com/vip-tv.php

Fucking quality picture, you too can see Ponting et al sulking when the Ashes come back home within the next 30 minutes!

Plus, if we can get a couple more aussies watching from SCM, we double the amount in the crowd at the MCG...
[/quote]LOL

Siddle and Haddin showing how pathetic it was for the 'driving' batsmen to go all out for less than a century on day one.
Great knocks, good fun.

Back
Top Bottom