• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Everton (a) post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Klopp is wedded to a 4-3-3 with a false 9 and two wide forwards. You take one of those wide forwards out of the equation, and our attack loses a significant amount of its potency.

It does look like Minamino will be a nice understudy for the false 9 role to Firmino, but there's really nobody in the squad who can deputise for Mane or Salah. Origi is pretty agricultural out wide, Shaqiri is perma-injured, and Elliott is a kid.

The idea behind Werner would've been to have some flexibility in formation i.e. switching to a 4-2-3-1 formation, and retaining pace up front even in the absence of Mane and Salah.

Klopp & Edwards need to think hard about bringing another pacy attacker in this summer. If that means selling Shaq, Wilson and Grujic, so be it. We can't challenge for much longer relying on just 2 pacy attackers in the entire squad.

I could easily be wrong but wasn't his Dortmund team more 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3? If so seems strange he's so completely wedded to 4-3-3.

I think we have to give credit to Ancelotti. I wrote when he was first appointed that for someone used to working with the likes of Nesta, Maldini and Cafu, he's in for a shock when his best defender is Michael Keane. Well, he proved me wrong by coming in and actually teaching Everton how to defend with calmness and organization. We've drawn at Goodison plenty of times under Klopp, but this was perhaps the best defensive performance by them out of all of these fixtures – none of the running around bug-eyed, trying to injure our players, hoofing and hoping to nick something from a set-piece – here they actually stuck to a plan that worked for the most part, not dissimilarly to how Carlo's Napoli's played against us. We pressed and pressed, but couldn't find a breakthrough and near the end Lovren almost gifted them all 3 points. All in all, draw was a fair result.

I could easily be wrong but wasn't his Dortmund team more 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3? If so seems strange he's so completely wedded to 4-3-3.

I wouldn't say he's completely wedded to 4-3-3 – we've played something like 4-2-2-2 or 4-4-2 quite a lot. We destroyed Everton 5:2 last time out using a 4-2-3-1 with Origi up top and Lallana and Shaq interchanging at #10 – something I was hoping to see from Firmino and Taki more.

This. Klopp is wedded to a 4-3-3 with a false 9 and two wide forwards. You take one of those wide forwards out of the equation, and our attack loses a significant amount of its potency.

It does look like Minamino will be a nice understudy for the false 9 role to Firmino, but there's really nobody in the squad who can deputise for Mane or Salah. Origi is pretty agricultural out wide, Shaqiri is perma-injured, and Elliott is a kid.

The idea behind Werner would've been to have some flexibility in formation i.e. switching to a 4-2-3-1 formation, and retaining pace up front even in the absence of Mane and Salah.

Klopp & Edwards need to think hard about bringing another pacy attacker in this summer. If that means selling Shaq, Wilson and Grujic, so be it. We can't challenge for much longer relying on just 2 pacy attackers in the entire squad.

Also when our fullbacks are not functioning at their usual superhuman level, we do lose a bit of creativity. TAA was a bit rusty yesterday. Milner and Gomez were pretty good but we definitely missed that extra attacking aggression and thrust which Robbo provides.

I think we have to give credit to Ancelotti. I wrote when he was first appointed that for someone used to working with the likes of Nesta, Maldini and Cafu, he's in for a shock when his best defender is Michael Keane. Well, he proved me wrong by coming in and actually teaching Everton how to defend with calmness and organization. We've drawn at Goodison plenty of times under Klopp, but this was perhaps the best defensive performance by them out of all of these fixtures – none of the running around bug-eyed, trying to injure our players, hoofing and hoping to nick something from a set-piece – here they actually stuck to a plan that worked for the most part, not dissimilarly to how Carlo's Napoli's played against us. We pressed and pressed, but couldn't find a breakthrough and near the end Lovren almost gifted them all 3 points. All in all, draw was a fair result.

It wasnt the same level of aggression from Everton but there were alot of tactical fouls around the box to stop us when they didnt have 9 mine behind the ball. It was very cynical. Unfortunately Trent just didnt look anything close to sharp enough and our set pieces were mostly wasted. Closest we cam was Fabinhos effort right at the end after another cynical hack on Ox breaking towards the box.

It is not just the last game. Liverpool does not play well since before this Covid -19 started. Our one time famous front three is not performing well lately. We also lack a play-maker, who can direct all passes and create situations. Firmino obviously can not fulfill that role. Someone like Kai Havertz must be signed this summer.

I wouldn't say he's completely wedded to 4-3-3 – we've played something like 4-2-2-2 or 4-4-2 quite a lot. We destroyed Everton 5:2 last time out using a 4-2-3-1 with Origi up top and Lallana and Shaq interchanging at #10 – something I was hoping to see from Firmino and Taki more.

I absolutely agree. 4-2-3-1 is the best choice for Klopp with Origi up front , Ox playing just behind him and Mane and Minamino on the wings. Fabinho and Henderson as a defensive tandem. I think that can work better for us.

Wow! Maybe you should partner with that MAGA twat in the other thread - get rid of Firmino up front & Gomez at the back. I guess you probably think we should swap Alisson for De Gea

I absolutely agree. 4-2-3-1 is the best choice for Klopp with Origi up front , Ox playing just behind him and Mane and Minamino on the wings. Fabinho and Henderson as a defensive tandem. I think that can work better for us.

That's not quite what I said though – for one thing, I don't think Minamino should be on the wing.

On a related note, I'm curious why Klopp persists in playing 4-3-3 against Ancelotti every single time (as far as I remember) – he must be convinced it ought to work against the Italian's 4-4-2, but we've struggled to create chances against Carlo's set-up every time. Minamino's early substitution and a slew of other changes suggests Klopp is second-guessing himself somewhat in trying to find a solution that has so far eluded him.

Last edited:
That's not what I said though – for one thing, I don't think Minamino should be on the wing.

On a related note, I'm curious why Klopp persists in playing 4-3-3 against Ancelotti every single time (as far as I remember) – he must be convinced it ought to work against the Italian's 4-4-2, but we've struggled to create chances against Carlo's set-up every time. Minamino's early substitution and a slew of other changes suggests Klopp is second-guessing himself somewhat in trying to find a solution that has so far eluded him.
I think Klopp is more than happy to get a draw at Goodison & Old Trafford every season tbh. If both teams nullify each other he doesn't seem to give a fuck.

TBF Ferguson did the same at Anfield for about ten fucking years. Happy just to stop us scoring & if they scored somehow then all the better.

You're right. I don't think Klopp is a tactically inflexible manager, though he has a clear preference for the 4-3-3 with the present squad.

He did go to a 4-2-3-1 several times last season, with Salah up front. And as Rurik has pointed out, he's played a 4-2-2-2 occasionally as well this season.

I just don't think he has enough options in attack to be that tactically flexible, especially when one of Salah or Mane are out. Shaqiri's absence is a big problem too, because he used to be able to play well on the right in a 4-2-3-1 with Origi up top.

If we add another top quality pacy attacker, I think you'd find a lot more tinkering from Klopp. We need to become a more unpredictable team.

City have shown you can re-start without looking like you've been pumped full of valium for a couple of months. I really don't want to see us lose a chunk of our lead as we stagger to the finishing line. It's just one game, but we need to play like the champions-elect we are from now on. That game was so dire it's hard to forget.

City have shown you can re-start without looking like you've been pumped full of valium for a couple of months. I really don't want to see us lose a chunk of our lead as we stagger to the finishing line. It's just one game, but we need to play like the champions-elect we are from now on. That game was so dire it's hard to forget.
Tbf I can only think of the late Mane goal in any Goodison derby under klopp. And even that was shit until then.

I wouldn't overreact based on one performance.

I don't think we've been particularly exciting for many games this season, we just defend well and patiently wait for a chance. We played far more exciting football last season. I can't see us changing this style without some change in personnel.

Not that I'm bothered

I think Klopp is more than happy to get a draw at Goodison & Old Trafford every season tbh. If both teams nullify each other he doesn't seem to give a fuck.

TBF Ferguson did the same at Anfield for about ten fucking years. Happy just to stop us scoring & if they scored somehow then all the better.
hmmm - thats (almost) word for word what Neil Atkinson said on the Anfield Wrap ;)

I’d love to have it in the bag before playing them. See if they do a guard of honour.

Avoid the disaster of losing to Palace and City.

Luckily even in that case we will have Villa and Brighton and Burnley to limp over the line.

Yep. That's cos I listened to him, & thought, "Fuck me, he's right you know" & went & checked previous Goodison derby matches. They were all dogshit.
As well as most matches at the skip or against the skanks. I agree that Klopp seems to give up on these these fixtures. Think back to when Man U had three injury-forced substitutions and we still played as if against galactico-filled Real Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom