• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Find us value in the transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.
his signing gave me the worst cassandra complex of my life. it was just too surreal to be true. 20 mill for a player i wouldn't have been arsed buying for 5.
I expected him to be poo, but not 0 assists 0 goals poo.
Anyway, he's English and we can sell him. If anyone offers £10 Million we should bite their hand off.

I wonder in how many posts we've managed to mention transfer fees this season? 110 385 maybe??

What happened happened, lets move forward and sign the right players now. You cant change the past regardless.

Raiding relegated teams. We need world class talents. From the above mentioned I'd happily take Hoilett because he's free.

We've never raided relegated teams before.

We should've done that time Ipswich were demoted in 2001/02 (Darren Bent),
Sunderland in 2002/03 (Kevin Phillips),
West Ham 2002/03 (David James, Glen Johnson, Carrick, Joe Cole, Defoe, Kanoute)
Leeds Utd 2003/04 (Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Mark Viduka),
Wolves 2003/04 (Lescott),
Crystal Palace 2004/05 (Andy Johnson, Routledge),
Norwich City 2004/05 (Robert Green, Dean Ashton),
Southampton 2004/05 (Antti Niemi, Peter Crouch, Kenwyne Jones),
West Brom 2005/06 (Zoltan Gera, Curtis Davies),
Sheffield United 2006/07 (Jagielka)
Charlton Ath. 2006/07 (Darren Bent)
Watford 2006/07 (Mariappa, Ashley Young)
Birmingham 2007/08 (Sebastian Larsson)
Reading 2007/08 (Kevin Doyle, Shane Long)
Newcastle 2008/09 (Shay Given, Tim Krul, Fabio Coloccini, Jose Enrique, James Milner, N'Zogbia, Jonas, Andy Carroll)
Middlesbrough 2008/09 (Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson)
Portsmouth 2009/10 (Marc Wilson, Nadir Belhadj, Kevin Prince-Boateng)
Birmingham City 2010/11 (Sebastian Larsson)
Blackpool 2010/11 (Matt Phillips and Charlie seemed decent at the time)
West Ham 2010/11 (Demba Ba, Scott Parker, Mark Noble, James Tomkins)

...and when is the last time we got a world class player? Mascherano was playing in a team flirting with relegation. We recruited Torres from Atletico Madrid after they finished 7th in La Liga and we got Xabi from Real Sociedad who finished 15th the year we signed him.

Lass Diarra would represent great value in my eyes. Surely to be shown the door at madrid, he's a class act as we all know and he would provide great competition for Lucas to get him back up to what he was before he got injured. His signing would allow us to move on players that just arent up to it and move players that need more experience out on loan. Hes still only 27 and has league title experience in more than one country. He'd provide steel and a winning mentality. We'd surely get him for less than 10 million? I'd be hoping we'll be in for him!

Villareal were also relegated today, not necessarily saying we should sign them but there are a few decent players there: Musacchio, Marcos Senna, Nilmar, Giuseppe Rossi (long-term injury though......so that means we're definitely going for him).

Edit: Just seen John's thread

Is there anyone on the forum who can defend this signing?

Think Richey was bleating on about his **talents** a few weeks ago.....
The signing could be defended because he's a decent squad player but the fee can never be defended. If he had cost us £8m it would have been ok.

The signing could be defended because he's a decent squad player but the fee can never be defended. If he had cost us £8m it would have been ok.

Agree with this, the taw podcast said something similar, that if he'd be sitting on the bench & cost 8m we'd be happy.

He's a short term cheap squad player who villa shafted us for, rafa was right when he wouldn't be held to ransom over Barry. We should've done the same over Downing.

Lass Diarra would represent great value in my eyes. Surely to be shown the door at madrid, he's a class act as we all know and he would provide great competition for Lucas to get him back up to what he was before he got injured. His signing would allow us to move on players that just arent up to it and move players that need more experience out on loan. Hes still only 27 and has league title experience in more than one country. He'd provide steel and a winning mentality. We'd surely get him for less than 10 million? I'd be hoping we'll be in for him!

Real would try and stiff us on the fee, but if there's a sensible deal to be done I think Lasagne Diarrhoea would be an excellent signing.

Our scouting network will still be in place. The question now is whom they'll be reporting to, and I don't really have a scooby who that might be.

Personally I don't think our scouts has been good enough for quite some time now.

I mean we've even had a Danish scout connected a few years and yet we've still missed out on the real gems on the Danish market. Christian Eriksen, Nicolai Boilesen, Victor Fischer and Simon Kjær to mention a few whom were all sold for peanuts (~ £1M) before playing one minute in the best Danish League.

Now another obvious talent in Christian Nørgaard has left Denmark for Hamburg SV without having played many minutes for Lyngby in Superligaen.

We did buy however Nikolaj Køhlert who was a completely unknown and not anywhere near the level of the talents above.

I'm not fooling myself to believe that we'll always get the top talent around I just wonder why we are seemingly not more thorough in our scouting. And the above examples are only from Denmark, so what about the rest of the countries we are looking into? I mean it's not exaclty loooking like we've moved on the right Hungarians, Swedes, Germans or even Spaniards for that instance. (Apart from Suso perhaps).

Personally I don't think our scouts has been good enough for quite some time now.

I mean we've even had a Danish scout connected a few years and yet we've still missed out on the real gems on the Danish market. Christian Eriksen, Nicolai Boilesen, Victor Fischer and Simon Kjær to mention a few whom were all sold for peanuts (~ £1M) before playing one minute in the best Danish League.

Now another obvious talent in Christian Nørgaard has left Denmark for Hamburg SV without having played many minutes for Lyngby in Superligaen.

We did buy however Nikolaj Køhlert who was a completely unknown and not anywhere near the level of the talents above.

I'm not fooling myself to believe that we'll always get the top talent around I just wonder why we are seemingly not more thorough in our scouting. And the above examples are only from Denmark, so what about the rest of the countries we are looking into? I mean it's not exaclty loooking like we've moved on the right Hungarians, Swedes, Germans or even Spaniards for that instance. (Apart from Suso perhaps).

You've signed half of them for your Xpert Eleven team. We could never compete with that. ;)

Nick Powell is on SKY1 now in the Crewe v Southend game. Watch out also for Bilel Mohsni who is a CB but playing RM in this game.........he's way too good for this level.

Haven't seen this confirmed elsewhere yet, but...

Sir Alex Ferguson has sealed a £4million deal for England Under-18 international Nick Powell as he turns to young talent to secure Manchester United's future.

The manager struck a deal with League Two Crewe for the forward, who has scored 15 goals this season and will feature in next week's League Two play-off at Wembley.

Tipped as the best player to emerge from Dario Gradi's famous Crewe academy, which has uncovered the likes of Dean Ashton, David Platt and Danny Murphy, Powell is poised to earn full recognition before the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Ferguson, who personally checked out the youngster at Gresty Road, has also been linked with £7m-rated Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa and Moussa Dembele of Fulham as he prepares for life after Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

I spoke to a Crewe supporter that was speaking about him as though he's a forward. Can play as a #10 or out wide.

Are you comparing him to the latter day Stevie G who plays in an advanced central role?

I spoke to a Crewe supporter that was speaking about him as though he's a forward. Can play as a #10 or out wide.

Are you comparing him to the latter day Stevie G who plays in an advanced central role?
Over the last 4 or 5 months he has been utilised as an out-and-out forward but I'm still not convinced it's his best role and his perfromance in the 2 games against Southend (in the Div 2 play offs) re-confirmed my line of thought.

Earlier in the season he was playing a similar role to SG when he played off Torres and he looked more effective IMO.

I think the reason they've changed his role is because they now play Leitch-Smith up front who, although is an excellent talent, is very lightweight and needs a partner. Previously he was playing behind Shaun Miller (another very good forward) who is more able to play the lone striker than Leitch-Smith.

He's only just 18 so it's hard to pigeon-hole him at this stage but my instinct tells me he'll end up being an attacking midfielder in the SG role rahter than an out-and-out striker.

Bump

I find it interesting to look back at threads like this to see how certain players have progressed or disappeared off the face of the Earth and I have to say there have been some gems mentioned. These are the type of players who could be suggested again for the 'This new striker in January' thread, albeit with an increased valuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom