• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Find us value in the transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want someone with a fancy name I can't pronounce. Ever since Kenny came back I've been able to pronounce the name of every player we've bought on the very first try.
Gene, can you say Eriksen? It's a tough one right? I bet you say Ericsson or something.

Johnson and De jong would both improve our first team instantly.
De jongs a horrible bastard, just what we need.
I think in just that we would massively improve:
Reina
Johnson
Agger
Skrtel
Enrique

Lucas
De Jong

Gerrard
Suarez
Johnson

Carroll

Adam Johnson definitely yes, De Jong for cheap okay, but a bit meh.

Other way round for me. De Jong is the kind of player we've needed, at least as an option, ever since Mascher went. I like Johnson's ability to play effectively on either wing when he's on his game, but "effectively" is the key word. Consistency hasn't exactly been Johnson's middle name.

That's probably a function of never getting consistent playing time though. I do think Johnson is a very talented footballer, though the arrogant smug cunt look really pisses me off. I don't know if I'll be able to warm to him as a Liverpool player.

Actually, I'll probably manage if he's good.

Going on Kenny's penchant for model professionals, Henderson, Downing, Carroll, etc I would be surprised if we were in for Johnson based on his reputation.

I just don't see what you see in Adam Johnson.
Overrated player, well at least here.
As a squad player, no problem.
A starter? Hell no!
Another player who wouldn't suit Suarez.

Just because we spunked away £20m on Downing, possible spunked away another £16m on Henderson and overpaid (by about £15m) on Carroll should not mean we shy away from signing British talent. The talent is there we just need to make sure we have the right people choosing who we sign.

sorry mate, that logic applies to the likes of wigan and west brom - however, we are looking to compete and be the best in europe and the epl which usually means spending in excess of 10-15 m on players - at that price range britsh players are woefully overvalued. The last british player in that price range who was worth the money spent on was probably rooney.

sorry mate, that logic applies to the likes of wigan and west brom - however, we are looking to compete and be the best in europe and the epl which usually means spending in excess of 10-15 m on players - at that price range britsh players are woefully overvalued. The last british player in that price range who was worth the money spent on was probably rooney.

Over the years we've picked up many superb players from the lower leagues (Keegan, Clemence, Neal, Toshack, Rob Jones, Joey Jones, Hansen, Lawrenson etc). Just because we haven't done it for at least 15 years and other top teams seem to have stopped too doesn't mean the pool of talent isn't there.

The problem is that the top teams don't tend to sniff around the bottom 2 divisions; they wait until these players are snapped up by Championship teams, then prove themselves at that level, and then they make their move....by which time their value has soared and it becomes a risky investment.

Matt Phillips, who played last night for Blackpool, is a good example. He looked awesome as an 18 year old at Wycombe and Blackpool signed him for £300,000. If Blackpool don't get promoted and we were to try and sign him he'd cost us at least £6m which would be a risk. For a £300,000 investment we could have loaned him out for a season or two and if it didn't work out we'd get most of our money back anyway.

For the record, IMO Phillips will be a Premier League star in the next season or two (with or without Blackpool) and we are crying out for a player like him.

There is plently more talent down there and it's criminally just going to waste.

Kenny if yer reading this give me a shout..........I'll work for expense only!

Pesam, as a man who knows lower leagues well. Thoughts on redmond for brum and zaha for palace?

Pesam, as a man who knows lower leagues well. Thoughts on redmond for brum and zaha for palace?
For the money that would be quoted for either of them I think it would be too risky, I think Phillips is better than both of them though and he might be a bit cheaper.

I think Phillips will play for England, I think Zaha could prove to be one of those annoying players with undoubted quality but little end product. I've only seen Redmond 3 times and he's looked good but at this stage I've no idea whether or not he's top level material.

A friend of mine who is a Derby Co fan, has been telling me about their CM Jeff Hendrick. He thinks he is a great prospect. Anyone know anything about him?

Pesam?

A friend of mine who is a Derby Co fan, has been telling me about their CM Jeff Hendrick. He thinks he is a great prospect. Anyone know anything about him?

Pesam?
He was excellent at the start of the season when he played CM with Bryson who is more attack-minded. The problem is that Clough (Derby manager) doesn't seem to know his best CM line-up and messed things up which led to their mid-season slump in form.

Hendrick reminds be a bit of Didi Hamann they way he patrols the midfield and gives simple passes, keeping the play moving and snuffing out nascent opposition attacks. The problem is that they have another young CM James Bailey who plays a similar role.

When Bailey cam back from injury Clough tried to play him, Hendrick and Bryson which didn't work. Also, Hendrick & Bailey doesn't work too well either as the team lacks Bryson's creativity.

Clough has to accept it's Bailey OR Hendrick NOT both.

I think Hendrick will make it to the Premier League one day soon but because he's a DM'er I'd need to watch him a few more times as it's quite a bit harder to spot the potentially great DM'ers than it is to spot the potential AM'ers.

Also on A Derby related point..............It's ridiculous that they continue to waste Jamie Ward's talents by playing him wide left. He's a cracking talent but needs to play up front, ideally with a tall target man.

For the money that would be quoted for either of them I think it would be too risky, I think Phillips is better than both of them though and he might be a bit cheaper.

I think Phillips will play for England, I think Zaha could prove to be one of those annoying players with undoubted quality but little end product. I've only seen Redmond 3 times and he's looked good but at this stage I've no idea whether or not he's top level material.
I thought Phillips declared for Scotland?

I don't know much about the lower leagues except that Will Buckley is better than Downing.
Anyway, I just want to say that playing in the lower leagues and being good enough for the premiership, doesn't make you good enough for Liverpool.
Wasnt it Taarabt who was voted best player in the championship last season. What happened there?

I don't know much about the lower leagues except that Will Buckley is better than Downing.
Anyway, I just want to say that playing in the lower leagues and being good enough for the premiership, doesn't make you good enough for Liverpool.
Wasnt it Taarabt who was voted best player in the championship last season. What happened there?
Hes got a twat of an attitude and didn't like it when barton arrived and became the "star" player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom