• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Formula 1 Thread

Stulikesdrums

Well-Known
I decided to get this thread started and to keep it going for the rest of the season and beyond.
There are a few fans of F1 and motor racing in general on the site so this is a thread to post all the latest bits and peices in.

It's not everyday an amazing driver like Alonso signs for Ferrari and it didn't even merit a thread of its own!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6857588.ece#

Felipe Massa wants Lewis Hamilton stripped of 2008 title

34g9feb.jpg

Felipe Massa demanded last night that Formula One’s authorities strip Lewis Hamilton of his World Championship as the Ferrari driver claimed he was robbed of glory by “Crashgateâ€.

The fallout from the now notorious 2008 Singapore Grand Prix continues to rain down on the sport and Hamilton, who won the world title from Massa by a point last year, would be the biggest victim if the FIA, the sport’s governing body, takes the Brazilian’s complaints seriously.

Massa argued that the title would have been his but for the artificial result in Singapore last year where Flavio Briatore, the Renault team managing director at the time, ordered Nelson Piquet Jr to crash deliberately so that Fernando Alonso, his team-mate, could leapfrog his rivals and win.

Until the Piquet crash, Massa had led the race comfortably, but he was swallowed up in the chaos of a safety car period and ended the grand prix out of the points, with Hamilton finishing third. If that deeply flawed result from Singapore had been annulled by the FIA after the Crashgate inquiry, Massa would have won the title by five points from Hamilton.

“All of what happened was robbery — but regarding the race nothing has happened, the result remains the same,†Massa said on television in Brazil. “This is not right. The robbery changed the outcome of a championship and I lost the title.â€

Briatore, with a lifetime ban, and Pat Symonds, Renault’s director of engineering who was in on the plot and has been sentenced to a five-year ban from motor racing, have paid their penalties. But Massa still has the pain of defeat to go with the fractured skull he suffered in July during qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Massa is on the way to recovery, but the bitterness of last season stays, particularly as Hamilton snatched the title away in the last seconds of the final race at the Ferrari driver’s home grand prix in Brazil. Massa pointed out that football matches with fixed results would be declared void and, even in motor racing, results achieved by cheating are scratched from the record books. But not this time.

“I have seen in football how a referee took money to throw a game and all the suspect results were annulled,†Massa said. “In Italy, Juventus were relegated. But in Formula One, they just sent Briatore home. I don’t get it and I don’t think it was right.â€

Just to add irony to Massa’s fury, the Brazilian will be partnered at Ferrari next season by Alonso, who has signed a reported £23 million-a-year deal with the team. The pair have had a rocky relationship and there will be no love lost now Massa knows that the Spaniard was the beneficiary of that “fixed†result in Singapore.

But there are no signs yet of Ferrari wanting to contest the result in Singapore and the FIA appear to have drawn a line under events, leaving Massa to stew on his own misfortune.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6857676.ece

Fernando Alonso sets sights on Michael Schumacher’s title haul

Fernando Alonso’s move from Renault to Ferrari for next season has electrified Formula One, which is licking its collective lips at the prospect of arguably the sport’s best two drivers, Alonso and Lewis Hamilton, of McLaren Mercedes, going head to head for the two most famous teams.

After Ferrari’s confirmation of the Spaniard’s three-year contract, thought to be worth £23 million a season, Alonso was ebullient and underlined that he hopes the Scuderia will be his final team, and that he has ambitions to rival Michael Schumacher’s haul of five world championships for Ferrari.

Taking a dig at Kimi Raikkonen, who is making way at Maranello for the double world champion, Alonso said: “Hopefully I can finish my career there with a lot of wins. I really think that Ferrari will be my last team. Leaving Ferrari to change teams is a step backwards. I would like to do the same as Michael, by winning many championships, but I think that it will be very difficult.â€

Ferrari have said that Alonso will not be given preferential treatment over Felipe Massa and the team-mates will compete against each other until it becomes impossible for one of them to win the title in any season. Luca di Montezemolo, the company president, said: “We needed a team player, and I think Alonso is that.â€

Raikkonen, 29, who is expected to return to McLaren to drive alongside Hamilton, has hinted that he may decide instead to retire from Formula One. Paddock-watchers, however, still believe he will end up at the Woking-based team and this could be little more than a bargaining ploy.

Three races to go....

Drivers Standings

1 Jenson Button British Brawn-Mercedes 84
2 Rubens Barrichello Brazilian Brawn-Mercedes 69
3 Sebastian Vettel German RBR-Renault 59
4 Mark Webber Australian RBR-Renault 51.5
5 Kimi Räikkönen Finnish Ferrari 40
6 Lewis Hamilton British McLaren-Mercedes 37
7 Nico Rosberg German Williams-Toyota 30.5
8 Fernando Alonso Spanish Renault 26
9 Timo Glock German Toyota 24
10 Jarno Trulli Italian Toyota 22.5
11 Felipe Massa Brazilian Ferrari 22
12 Heikki Kovalainen Finnish McLaren-Mercedes 22
13 Nick Heidfeld German BMW Sauber 12
14 Robert Kubica Polish BMW Sauber 9
15 Giancarlo Fisichella Italian Ferrari 8
16 Adrian Sutil German Force India-Mercedes 5
17 Sebastien Buemi Swiss STR-Ferrari 3
18 Sebastien Bourdais French STR-Ferrari 2

Constructor Standings

1 Brawn-Mercedes 153
2 RBR-Renault 110.5
3 Ferrari 62
4 McLaren-Mercedes 59
5 Toyota 46.5
6 Williams-Toyota 30.5
7 Renault 26
8 BMW Sauber 21
9 Force India-Mercedes 13
10 STR-Ferrari 5

Vettel on top with Button seventh

Sebastian Vettel grabbed pole for the Japanese Grand Prix with championship leader Jenson Button in seventh after a crash-strewn Suzuka qualifying session.
Toyota's Jarno Trulli will start next to Red Bull's Vettel with McLaren's Lewis Hamilton in third position.
Button's Brawn team-mate and main title rival Rubens Barrichello was fifth as drivers struggled after limited practice in Friday's rain-hit sessions.
Englishman Button now faces a fight to clinch the title in Sunday's race.
He needs to finish five points clear of Barrichello to claim the championship in Japan, with two more grands prix to come.

Vettel, third in the drivers' championship, is also mathematically in contention.
"It was a tough session for everyone, three red flags in qualifying is very unusual so I hope everyone's OK," said Button.
"I think we've got a reasonable amount of fuel on board, so yeah, it's good. I'm not looking at Sebastian really."
Vettel, who sits 10 points behind Barrichello, said: "Three races to go, it's quite a big gap, but every race has to be a chance."
Four crashes heavily interrupted a dramatic qualifying session with two of them heavy-impact accidents at high speed on a circuit where drivers had experienced little dry running after Friday's washout.
Toyota's Timo Glock was airlifted to hospital with what has been diagnosed as an "abrasion to the left upper leg", while Toro Rosso's Jaime Alguersuari was given the all-clear after a medical check-up.
Alguersuari's team-mate Sebastien Buemi and McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen were also involved in off-track incidents as they lost control over the fast, technically-challenging figure-of-eight track.
Though Glock, who qualified 14th, could be fit to race on Sunday Barrichello immediately called for Suzuka to increase the size of its run-off areas, describing their present state as "very dangerous".
Of his performance on a circuit which has not been used for a Formula 1 race since 2006, the Brazilian added: "To beat JB [Button] on the same fuel level is an aim I have reached.
"When you don't have the car to win, that's what you have to aim for. We didn't have a very competitive session."
Brawn had made a last-gasp change to the suspension on Button's car just before qualifying, but the events which followed overshadowed any technical detail.

For the first time in his nine-year career, Mark Webber sat out in qualifying after crashing at the troublesome Degner Two [Turn Nine] during the final practice session on Saturday morning, which left Red Bull unable to repair his car in time.
Webber will begin Sunday's 53-lap race from the pit lane, and the incident represents a serious blow to Red Bull's hopes of keeping the constructors' title alive as they trail Brawn by 42.5 points.
"The hill was steep and it's just become a mountain," team boss Christian Horner told BBC Sport. "It's not great in that respect."

Alguersuari, who will start in 15th, crashed at the same point where Webber lost control - the gravel trap again not doing its job fully - to trigger a red flag with 11 minutes remaining of qualifying session two.
Three minutes after it resumed it was again halted after Glock, who missed Friday practice through illness, ran wide at the final turn before careering head on into a tyre wall.
That left the remaining drivers under pressure to clock timed laps with just six minutes remaining.
And the situation intensified further when Buemi scraped along the barriers at the exit of Spoon before continuing his lap in a damaged car, rather than parking up, to spark a yellow flag for the final few seconds.
Renault's Fernando Alonso, set to start in 12th, was the most high profile victim - but he claimed some times were set when yellow caution flags were being waved, meaning drivers should slow down.
"Everybody was improving their times," he said. "I backed off. Other people didn't. We'll see what happens this afternoon."
Buemi qualified 10th, just behind Heikki Kovalainen.
McLaren's Finnish driver caused the final top-10 qualifying session to be briefly red-flagged after sliding off at Degner One.
Giancarlo Fisichella will start 16th on the grid as he continues to grapple with his relatively new drive, the Italian again failing to make it through the first qualifying session for Ferrari after three attempts.
"I was not too bad in the first and last sector, but there was three tenths missing in middle sector," he said. "It's tough but I'm [still] looking forward."

Brawn drivers drop 5 places on the grid.

Typical. I start a Formula 1 thread and then the Japanese GP is the only one this season I completely miss. I didn't even get to see the highlights of it.

HUGE win for Vettel to keep his (slim) hopes alive. It does look like Button is in control but if he continues to fuck up qualifying he is going to come under serious pressure from his rivals. It looks set for an interesting end to the season that is for sure.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6864444.ece#

Robert Kubica to join Renault next season

Robert Kubica is to join Renault next season from BMW-Sauber. The 24-year-old Polish driver will replace Fernando Alonso, the two-time world champion, who is moving to Ferrari.

"I am highly motivated and optimistic that we can be at the front of the grid next year and hopefully fighting for the world title," Kubica said.

Kubica finished third in the 2008 drivers championship after an impressive season that saw him clinch his first race win at the Canadian Grand Prix. But he has struggled with an uncompetitive car this year and is currently 14th in the standings with nine points.

Kubica had been approached by several teams, including Toyota and Williams, once BMW announced they were quitting Formula One at the end of the season.

"He is one of the most naturally talented drivers of his generation and it is great to have him next season," Bob Bell, Renault's team principal, said.

"Renault has high ambitions and hopes for the future of the team and we feel that Robert can play a big role in fulfilling them. We are very excited to have signed Robert, ever since he made his Grand Prix debut in 2006, he has been on our radar."

Romain Grosjean, who replaced Nelson Piquet Jr, is currently Renault's second driver, but his position has yet to be confirmed for next year.

"I share with Renault a strong winning mentality and feel comfortable with their friendly and open attitude," Kubica added. "I am very happy I will be joining them for the 2010 season. I feel I have a special connection with this team because in 2005 I won the World Series by Renault.

"This gave me the chance to test with the team in Barcelona, which led to my debut in Formula 1."

A sideways move for Kubica, shame really as he is a talented driver.

Would Jenson Button be a worthy world champion?

The wait goes on for Jenson Button. The title that appeared all but sewn up earlier in the season remains out of his grasp after Sebastian Vettel stormed to victory in Japan. With two races of the season remaining, Vettel trails Button by 16 points, Rubens Barrichello, Button's team-mate, is 14 behind.

The British driver is hardly displaying title-winning form, having not won a race since Turkey on June 7. Since then he has finished sixth, fifth, seventh, seventh, seventeenth, second, fifth and eighth.

The inconsistent form of his rivals has allowed him to maintain his lead at the top of the standings, but his own performances have been far from convincing. With races in Brazil and Abu Dhabi to come, Button needs six points to win the title, but he can hardly claim to have done it in style.

Would Button be a worthy world champion? Or does Vettel, or indeed Barrichello, deserve to pip him at the post?

Based on Button's early performances probably so. I bet he's real thankful that he won so many races in the beginning. I think it was a matter of consolidation for him once the season started in Europe.

I agree DHSC, the guy with the most points on the board deserves it.
I think he'll wrap it up at the next GP myself. I just have a feeling.

Felipe Massa puts future partnership at risk with broadside on Fernando Alonso

There are one or two big bulls in the Formula One paddock and some of them have very sharp horns. Among the most deceptive and dangerous is Fernando Alonso, latterly of McLaren Mercedes and Renault and now heading to Ferrari, and you bait him at your peril.

Nobody seems to have warned Felipe Massa about this, however, for yesterday the Brazilian continued what can only be described as his kamikaze approach to Formula One politics since his head injury at the end of July and his latest outburst was aimed fairly and squarely at Alonso.

Talking to local media in his home town before Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix, which he must watch from the sidelines, Massa appeared to go out of his way to provoke the man he will drive alongside at Ferrari next season. Not for the first time since he woke from an induced coma in a Budapest hospital, the Brazilian showed no respect for the normal rules of engagement between drivers.

According to him, there can be no doubt that Alonso must have known about the conspiracy in Renault to have Nelson Piquet Jr crash on purpose at last year’s Singapore Grand Prix, something that resulted in the Spaniard winning the race in highly unusual circumstances. Alonso has repeatedly denied this but Massa effectively accused his future team-mate of being part of one of the biggest cheating scandals in sport.

“In all, he is the least of the problem,†Massa was quoted as saying before going on spectacularly to contradict himself. “It was the team and Nelson — but Alonso was part of the problem. He knew. We cannot know it [but] of course he knew. [It’s an] absolute certainty.â€

The comments sent Ferrari, who are already trying to dispel the impression that Alonso and Massa could end up at each other’s throats next year, into a flurry of activity. Within hours Massa had released a statement “clarifying†his remarks but he did not deny them and he took another opportunity to remind us that he believes the conspiracy in Singapore deprived him of a World Championship.

“What I’ve said is the outcome of a hunch I’ve had and is not based on any concrete evidence,†Massa was then quoted as saying. “The FIA World Council announced that there was no indication that Fernando may have been informed of what had happened and I respect this outcome. Obviously I’m very disappointed about what transpired last year in Singapore: I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it’s time to close that chapter.â€

Then, with an admirable touch of naivety, the Brazilian added: “What is certain is that this episode will not mar in any way the relationship I’ll have with Fernando when we will be team-mates.â€

The outburst has left many a paddock sage wondering if Massa is the same man he was before he was hit on the head by a suspension spring that fractured his skull. The normally polite and sporting Ferrari driver seems to have lost his inhibitions. His lobbing of this unpinned hand grenade into the paddock comes after his criticism of Jenson Button, who, he said, could not take the pressure of trying to win the championship; his withering attack on Piquet Jr, who, he said, should not drive in Formula One again; and his claim that he was “robbed†of the title last year.

Alonso is far too experienced a Formula One politician to react in real time to a provocation of this kind but Massa’s card will have been well and truly marked for 2010. “This is just a thing for the media and nothing really worrying for me,†he said with a smile at Interlagos, before arguing that it will not affect his relationship with his new team-mate next season. “We will be very strong next year and, with Felipe, everything will be OK.â€

Coming to Massa’s aid was his countryman and fellow São Paulo resident, Rubens Barrichello, who said he had no doubt Massa was just the same as he was before events in July and that he was just a little out of the loop after several months on the sidelines. “If you are not travelling all the time with everyone and not hearing what people are talking about, you just get different ideas and you might fly on your own a little,†he said.

Seems like a ridiculous thing to do considering they will be sharing the garage next year.
Alonso is the far superior driver IMO, he is going to destroy Massa.

Barrichello top as Button suffers

Rubens Barrichello landed pole for the Brazilian Grand Prix to give his title hopes a huge boost as championship leader Jenson Button qualified 14th.
As his Brawn team-mate excelled, Button struggled in the rain and failed to get through the second session.
The third title contender, Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, did even worse and will start 16th, with team-mate Mark Webber second on the grid.
Force India's Adrian Sutil and Toyota's Jarno Trulli make up the second row.

So who is it Button or Rubens, personally i would love Rubens to win the title. He comes across as really likeable guy and this will be his last chance i reckon. Come on Rubens.

Yeah, Rubins seems a like a nice guy alright and he still has a chance of winning it, but I think Button has done enough to win it.

Wasn't there a huge controversy at the beginning of the season over some illegal part ?

Well done Jenson. England's 8th World F1 Champion. Brilliant drive, well deserved title.

Question: when was the last time an Irishman beat an Englishman to the title?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=36232.msg965153#msg965153 date=1255890457]
Wasn't there a huge controversy at the beginning of the season over some illegal part ?
[/quote]3 teams had interpreted the rules for the rear difuser differently to the other teams.
No one complained.
The cars were miles faster than the other teams.
The other teams complained.
The fia deemed the difuser to be not only legal but an exact interpretation of the rules.
The other teams copied the design.
The title was effectively gone already with only two teams in with a chance thanks to their innovative design work.

In no way did Brawn or Red Bull or Force India cheat. As im sure you know Rosco.
Mclaren last year cheated. No arguments there. Mclaren are cunts.

Well done to Jensen. Ive always found him to be quite a pleasant young man. I never thought hed be a champion, hes a bit to smooth and calculated for my liking, hes never been a balls out drive the nuts off it racer. But fair play he lucked into a superb car (christ hes had his fair share of bad luck too) and he's made the most of it.
A very worthy champion and a likeable chap.

Back
Top Bottom