• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Fowler vs Owen

Prefix for Poll Threads

Owen or Fowler

• Owen

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Fowler

Votes: 24 96.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nomad

Very Well-Known
Who was better?

Robbie Fowler: “I’ve always thought I was better than Michael Owen. He was quicker than me, but in every other element of being a striker, I genuinely think I was better than him."

It still makes me sad to think what Robbie might have been.
If you guys happen on time travel when you're fixing the site, can you send today's Robbie back to have a word with his 16 year-old self? Cheers.

Sorry Robbie but no you weren’t.

Where’s the poll anyhow?

Last edited:
Fowler all day long for me.

Better all round game, clinical finisher, also good with his head as well as the best left foot around.

Owen obviously also awesome, but more of a one trick pony and less clinical.

I think Robbie is right to some extent.
But there was more to Owen than just running.

He didn't say there wasn't, just that he was better at all the other parts. He's right about being better at the technical parts, just ignores the rest of it.

Fowler was much better than Owen.

That's not to say Owen wasn't good. He was very good. But Fowler in the mid 90s was exceptional.

Fowler was much better than Owen.

That's not to say Owen wasn't good. He was very good. But Fowler in the mid 90s was exceptional.
Owen at his peak was unplayable, ballon d’or worthy. There’s a reason he was the one starting regularly for England as well. Intelligence and technical flair goes with Fowler but Owen was a better striker.

Strikers are meant to be arrogant and confident, so Fowlers stance is understandable, but he has overcooked it. If you take everything into account then there wasn't much between them. They were both absolutely ridiculous at what they did.

Fowler had two or three seasons where he scored far more in the league than Owen ever did. Did Owen even get beyond 20 goals per season in the league?
Owen was consistent and his pace in the early days was frightening. But I agree completely with Fowler in that he was better in every other aspect of his game.

Fowler had two or three seasons where he scored far more in the league than Owen ever did. Did Owen even get beyond 20 goals per season in the league?
Owen was consistent and his pace in the early days was frightening. But I agree completely with Fowler in that he was better in every other aspect of his game.
Did Owen ever manage less than 10 goals in a season in the league? Owen was at his peak for a lot longer, There’s a reason why, because he played x amount of games. Robbie only managed 20+ when he featured in every game of the season, something Owen would’ve done easily and let’s not forget when Owen was starting out was the time the Prem cut from 22 team to 20.

Fowler had the advantage of Rushie mentoring too

Did Owen ever manage less than 10 goals in a season in the league? Owen was at his peak for a lot longer, There’s a reason why, because he played x amount of games. Robbie only managed 20+ when he featured in every game of the season, something Owen would’ve done easily and let’s not forget when Owen was starting out was the time the Prem cut from 22 team to 20.

I think the cut to 20 teams happened after 95 season didn't it?

If that happens I'm gonna go back to when I'm 16 and say hey dude, stop worrying about everything. When you get older you get a time machine.

Yeah, tell a 16 year old to stop worrying about consequences. The second you do that you fade to nothing like when whitey invented rock and roll.

Fowler v Owen is like Suarez v Salah. Both Fowler and Suarez were edge of the seat exciting unpredictable players due to their phenominal maveric talent. Owen and Salah also both super talented but predictable in that you just expect them to score every time and so not as exciting and they just get taken for granted. I would take the Fowlers and Suarezes every time but the Owens and Salahs are only truly appreciated after they have gone and the consistency they bring is not replaced. I'd love either of prime Fowler or Owen in our current squad!

So how does Fowler at his best compare to Suarez? Unfortunately I haven’t seen enough of the former to form an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom