• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gerrard watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]On the potential of Tagseth…

I thought he was excellent all over the pitch. If you watch Edy closely, not only is he a wonderful passer, he has got unbelievable energy, he does all the dirty work, he gets on second balls, he runs back. He’s a quiet kid; we’re trying to get him to come out of his shell. He’s got an unbelievable future if he keeps working the way he does.

On goalscorers Coyle and McAuley…

I’m very pleased for Glen – he missed 10 days of pre-season with a foot injury. He is getting really close to 100 per cent now. You know with Glen, if people provide chances for him he’ll get goals; he is a finisher, that’s what his game’s all about. In terms of Liam Coyle, he’s top scorer! He’s showing the forward lads how to do it. I’m really pleased for him. He’s another one, similar to Edy, you don’t have to coach these players much because they just do the right things all the time. They’re professional and their attitude is spot-on. They’re the two to follow.[/article]

Last edited:
Watched the 2nd half of this, Tagseth is a class above and the only one I realistically see making it. Lewis and Williams were decent too.
On a side note, Coyle reminds me too much of Catermole.

Gerrard's starting very well, but I think he needs to knock the punditry on the head and concentrate on the job in hand. He keeps being asked about what signings are 'crucial,' what our first team zonal defending system actually is, what our first team choices should be, etc etc. He's an employee of the club, he's got his duties, and responsibilities, he needs to shut up. He's not trying to cause trouble at all, but he's naive if he thinks these weekly pronouncements aren't problematic. The manager is his boss now, he has to step back and get on with his job.

Steven Gerrard has urged Liverpool to pull out all the stops to sign Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk before the close of transfer window.

The wantaway Dutch defender handed in a transfer request with an explosive statement earlier this month , but Saints chief Ralph Krueger insisted the south-coast club have no intention of selling Van Dijk this transfer window.

However, Gerrard feels the talented centre-back is essential for Jurgen Klopp to enjoy a successful season at Liverpool this term.

Gerrard told BT Sport: "Yes [he is a necessity].

"For me, if you want to compete in the league and in the Champions League ( Van Dijk is needed).

"It’s been well documented that we need two or three signings in."

Dead right. I'm amazed the club allow him to do it. Total conflict of positions.

Is this Tagseth tied down to a contract? Exciting know that he's learning off Gerrard to. Already looks a player.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Is this Tagseth tied down to a contract? Exciting know that he's learning off Gerrard to. Already looks a player.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Think he'll only be able to sign a professional contract when he turns 17?

Btw, links to d/l for the U18 match

Last edited:
DHSSJN4XgAciM57.jpg:large

[article]Liverpool are facing a battle to sign Fortuna Sittard prospect Perr Schuurs.

Schuurs recently had trials with Liverpool, where he impressed coaching staff.

However, the Reds face stiff competition for the 17 year-old defender, where PSV, Ajax and Borussia Dortmund are all in contact. Bayern Munich are also keen.

After trials at Liverpool, Schuurs' father, Lambert, told 1Limburg: "Liverpool informed us they were very satisfied about how Perr performed there. The club are preparing a report and will share that with Fortuna Sittard. So we'll wait for now.

"I have spoken with Steven Gerrard, who is now a youth coach. He is special to Perr. That was of course very good. But he remains very calm."[/article]

Scouts from Dortmund, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City watched Jong Ajax vs Fortuna Sittard match (4-2) on Fri.

Young Norwegian, Tagseth, looking to make his mark on Merseyside.

That lad must have his age measured in African years. He seems about 25 in terms of his general demeanour. He's been interviewed recently for the club website and he seems remarkably mature. Good player, too.

CiR2f7IWgAAF61G.jpg:large

[article]Liverpool have taken a keen interest in signing Crystal Palace youngster Joseph Hungbo.

The 17-year-old burst onto the scene two years ago, scoring on his Under 18 debut – as a second-half substitute he volleyed home a late left-footed winning goal – and has progressed since.

Hungbo, who is comfortable playing on the wing or in the Number 10 role, has captained the U18 side this season as a second-year scholar, transitioning into the centre of a new 3-4-2-1 formation after mostly playing out wide last year.

His performances have not only attracted interest at club level, but also at international level. England sent scouts to keep a keen eye on his progress several times last season, although he is also eligible to play for Nigeria.

A Three Lions’ scout was in attendance at the Eagles’ U16 match against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, to keep an eye on one of the Palace players.

There is further good news for the academy as Luke Dreher put pen to paper on a new contract. His current deal was set to expire at the end of the season, but the well-regarded 18-year-old has committed his future to Palace for the foreseeable future.

Dreher spent a significant part of last season on the sidelines with injuries, and also picked up a knock during pre-season, which has kept him out of action for the opening Development Squad fixtures. A loan is possible in January, but U23 boss Richard Shaw is keen to see the midfielder get as much game time as possible.

Meanwhile, Palace continue to sound out a possible site for a new training ground. Planning permission to develop the current Copers Cope Road site was rejected, whilst it looks unlikely that they will permanently purchase the rented facility across the road at Goals due to the significant cost that would be involved.[/article]

Beale returns to the acadamy:

michaelbeale4980

‪18/09/12 was my 1st day at @lfc academy. Delighted to confirm that 18/09/17 will be the start of pt2 with this fantastic club. The task of head of coaching for the foundation phase is something that has me really excited. Skill development is an area that I am hugely passionate about and working with the youngest players gives you so much joy on a daily basis. The academy is a family and it feels great to be going "home" to work alongside both excellent people and coaches. #LFCfamily

It's good news that Michael Beale is coming back to the club to coach the six to elevens. He's an excellent coach but I always thought, when he looked after the under23s, he erred too much in the direction of skill development and tended to ignore the fact that the players were nowhere near ready to battle in a truly competitive environment. With Gerrard now pushing for a more focused and aggressive mentality at under19s level, and Beale nurturing their technique at an earlier age, there's a better sense of progression in terms of preparing players for senior football.

As for Gerrard, he'll need time and patience to learn on the job, but he's doing okay. The players clearly revere him and listen to him. They need to really push on and learn how to treat games more seriously and passionately, and it'll take a while for Gerrard's impact to be evident, but it's quite promising so far, in performances more than results. The deep-rooted systemic problem is in the design of the reserve leagues, so any coach working within that limp and listless context is facing a Canute-like challenge, but at least we've got someone there who'll try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom