• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hillsborough: Searching For The Truth

I doubt he can be prevented from resigning, but (if he's looking to retire early) it may be possible to refuse to let him take his pension until a certain age. If his retirement is dependent on having access to his pension, that might do it.

Attorney General applies for new inquests

That was faster than I had hoped.

The next step may take a long time though, & may not even start til after the pcs investigation.

The public prosecution board is just as important imo, the fa & Sheffield wed were the direct cause of the deaths as much as the police were, if not even more so, yet keep escaping any real mention, this may bring them to justice.

Its been a long, hard fought battle and the latest developments are encouraging. The responsible parties must be brought to book (including the media) and justice must prevail.

There is an epetition to stop bettison getting his full police pension, I haven't got a link, can someone find and sticky please.

There is an epetition to stop bettison getting his full police pension, I haven't got a link, can someone find and sticky please.
I don't agree with this petition. It makes the supporters of the Justice campaign look a bit vindictive. Now the momentum is in favour of the campaigners, I think it is much better to stay dignified and let justice take its course.

I'm torn on this. In many ways I agree with Portly's post above, but it sticks in my gullet that the pension has to be paid by Merseyside.

Also Portly's post assumes that justice will be done via the judicidal process ... I accept we are now in a position much better than before, but not sure I have had my trust in the judicial system fully restored yet

I was actually told about the petition by an evertonian.

Plenty of them have signed it so far I believe.

Also Portly's post assumes that justice will be done via the judicidal process ... I accept we are now in a position much better than before, but not sure I have had my trust in the judicial system fully restored yet

As touched upon by the taw crew, it's in the governments interest to undermine the police in the public eye cos they're at loggerheads cos they're decimating their terms & conditions as they class them as public service the same as hmrc, dwp etc.

Thatcher did all she could to keep the police force on board, this government would like to privatise swathes of it & are doing, and means they will much less, if any, protection through the freemasonry links than they used to

THE KENNY DALGLISH COLUMN

Justice for the 96? Why has the FA not been brought to book?

19 Oct 2012 22:30

It has taken a long, long time for a lot of organisations to face up to what they did in 1989, says Kenny Dalglish in his latest column, and now it’s the Football Association’s turn
%22justice%22+
Right to the top: The English game's governing body ordered the match to be held at unsafe Hillsborough
AP
In the last few weeks, many welcome advances have been made in finally proving the truth of what happened at Hillsborough.
Even though they were not in power at the time, our current government has picked up the baton and handled the issue superbly.
What I want to know now is when is the FA going to face up to its responsibilities, too?
I’m not talking about the apology it made last month - an apology that was a long time coming and which took them two attempts to produce properly.
I’m talking about issues like why we have never had a full explanation of why the FA insisted the game should be played at Hillsborough.
They knew there had been problems there in the past, but still they insisted on their semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest being staged there that year.
They knew that Old Trafford was available, but they would not consent to the game being played there instead.
And they knew that Hillsborough did not have a safety certificate and yet they were still adamant the game had to be played at the stadium.
If they had not insisted that the game was played there, who knows what would have happened?
Well, the fans that died would still be alive for one thing.
That’s why I find it strange that there has not been any talk of the FA being liable to pay some form of financial penalty to the families of the dead.
And that’s why I find it strange that there has been no talk of the FA being punished for its actions.
I am not talking about punishing the people in power at the moment.
But surely, as the game’s governing body, they have to take responsibility for the way their organisation acted in the past.
It has taken a long, long time for a lot of organisations to face up to what they did in 1989 and now it’s the FA’s turn as well.
What has happened to Graham Kelly, for instance? Is there no one who can go and talk to him about why the FA acted as they did?
Kelly had become chief executive of the FA in 1989. It would be helpful to hear his explanations for the organisation’s actions.
There has, quite rightly, been a lot of talk about the accountability of the police over the tragedy. Why has nobody really mentioned the FA?
It would be very interesting for someone to sit down with Mr Kelly and make sure the FA are not involved in a big cover-up here as well. Once again, they have to face up to their responsibilities for taking the decision they took.
An apology is a beginning but the way they have behaved, they appear to think that is enough.
It isn’t.
Maybe a proper inquiry into the actions of the FA would exonerate them from blame.
Maybe it wouldn’t.
But it’s important for people to know why the FA insisted on playing an FA Cup semi-final at a stadium that did not have a safety certificate.
I believe that there will be a House of Commons debate about Hillsborough on Monday.
I am told that the role of the FA will be under scrutiny.
It is only right that it should be.

The way I've always seen what happened at Hillsborough, everything else - and I do mean everything, police failings included - is ALL the consequence of the FA's initial intransigence. Hence this may be wishful thinking, but I'm actually a bit more optimistic than you that they might now get at least partial comeuppance. I take that view because I get the impression that politicians across the political spectrum now see this as a bandwagon they need to be seen to jump on and, the longer the bandwagon keeps rolling, the more chance there is of the FA getting dragged under the wheels. I certainly hope so, because they've had FAR too easy a ride over this for far too long. Kenny is spot on, as per usual.

LIVERPOOL MP Maria Eagle was today expected to unveil a new witness with damning evidence of the South Yorkshire Police cover-up in the wake of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Ms Eagle intends to read a letter from an independent witness who was told by a mid-ranking South Yorkshire Police officer just weeks after the disaster they were “trying to concoct a story that Liverpool fans were drunk” and that was why the gate that led to the fatal crush was opened.

The witness is preparing to give a signed statement to Hillsborough Family Support Group lawyers.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/10/22/maria-eagle-mp-to-explosively-reveal-new-hillsborough-cover-up-witness-100252-32078125/#ixzz2A1nI6jqo

Follow the debate live later here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/...00/9761115.stm

some more damning information coming out of the House of Commons tonight

david bartlett@davidbartlett1
Maria Eagle reads out a letter from 1998 from John Barry who was at Hillsborough, sent to her in 2009.

Letter tells of Bettison saying we are trying to concoct a story that all the Liverpool fans were drunk...
.and we were afraid that they were going to break down the gates, so we decided to open them'.

Maria Eagle tells house that Mr Barry will give sworn statement testifying this is the truth

Hugh O'Connell@oconnellhugh
Police celebrated accidental death verdict at the original inquests with crates of wine and beer - Labour MP #Hillsborough

I still want to know whom he's shielding. There is no way on this planet that a mere Inspector would have acted as Bettison did off his own bat.

The banner idea I posted here last month made its ebut last night. It was inspired wh I was listening to Meddle , Pink Floyd. Some lad of RAWK made it and paid for it . Instead of people chipping in for the cost of the banner he is saying that people should donate to the HJC instead. He even emailed George who plays the songs at Anfield and he played the song last night about 7.30.

I cannot post a picture of the banner as on a French keyboard which is very challenging.

Lads. I give you WE CLIMBEDTHE HILL IN OUR OWN WAY.

I think its on page two.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=298338.40#lastPost

The banner idea I posted here last month made its ebut last night. It was inspired wh I was listening to Meddle , Pink Floyd. Some lad of RAWK made it and paid for it . Instead of people chipping in for the cost of the banner he is saying that people should donate to the HJC instead. He even emailed George who plays the songs at Anfield and he played the song last night about 7.30.

I cannot post a picture of the banner as on a French keyboard which is very challenging.

Lads. I give you WE CLIMBEDTHE HILL IN OUR OWN WAY.

I think its on page two.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=298338.40#lastPost

That's boss that lad, sums up the fight for justice those families have been through well too.

Back
Top Bottom