• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I want ‘Angel’ De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get is why Citeh aren't in for him. You'd think a CB would be high on their agenda... Must have someone else lined up already

.......I just look at City who have a solid base this last season, take Laporte out, Stones in. Take ottamendi out. Kompany in. All 4 CBs you'd argue pretty solid, and wouldn't suffer too much whichever was playing.
You think that their 4 CBs are better and more reliable than VvD, Matip, Gomez and Lovren and we've got 'Hoover' too) ? I don't. Stones has had a few injuries, and Ottamendi & Kompany, if I remember correctly and it's more a bit early to start saying Gomez is injury prone because of one serious injury and a setback during recovery.

Kompany was on his last legs, Ottamendi is as prone to mistakes as Lovren, and over the season VvD & Matip were clearly better than Laporte & Stones. Didn't we actually conceded a goal less than them in the PL too?

Where do we need to upgrade as a priority ? Wherever it is that's where the money should go. Henry has said we'll invest strongly again, Klopp that we'll be more reserved. It'll likely be somewhere in the middle as far as spending goes, regardless of what we get from sales, so if we are looking at £100m (wild guesstimate) then please let that stretch to be on a player to compete with our front 3, a backup LB (and we're going to need a backup GK unless Kelleher is it) and a midfielder in the v.d. Beek mould (basing that entirely on the 13 mins of his season's highlights in the video posted) !

The only reason City won't be in for him is because they'll have had enough of his bullshit agent with all the Yaya crap every season. To be fair, Raiola being involved is a great reason not to sign any player. Send them all to Manure and have them crying for a move or a pay rise after six months

What I don't get is why Citeh aren't in for him. You'd think a CB would be high on their agenda... Must have someone else lined up already
Probably don't want to buy anyone expensive at the moment ... keeping a low profile, and waiting for us, and other clubs to spend big and they then in the middlenof it all spend 50-60M on a player and no one notices in the media coz Liverpool and all the others have spent loads. Bit like the Layering phase of Money Laundering.

Probably don't want to buy anyone expensive at the moment ... keeping a low profile, and waiting for us, and other clubs to spend big and they then in the middlenof it all spend 50-60M on a player and no one notices in the media coz Liverpool and all the others have spent loads. Bit like the Layering phase of Money Laundering.

This almost guarantees that City will spend about £100m on a player this summer

You think that their 4 CBs are better and more reliable than VvD, Matip, Gomez and Lovren and we've got 'Hoover' too) ? I don't. Stones has had a few injuries, and Ottamendi & Kompany, if I remember correctly and it's more a bit early to start saying Gomez is injury prone because of one serious injury and a setback during recovery.

Kompany was on his last legs, Ottamendi is as prone to mistakes as Lovren, and over the season VvD & Matip were clearly better than Laporte & Stones. Didn't we actually conceded a goal less than them in the PL too?

You're forgetting that we had Virgil fit in the league all season. My point is you can take one of them (city's defenders) out and another in and they dont seem to suffer to much

Take virgil out our team, and all of a sudden we are a nervous wreck (think how we thought the Bayern game might go, luckily it was at home). Albeit not as much with the big yellow wall behind. You're forgetting how well we play with Matip and Lovren in the same side from previous seasons. Just yuck!

Matip would win the most improved player award, but it was only half a season. I hope the consistency continues, but is it a guarantee?

Stop banging on about Hoever as CB, he's at least 3 years off being a first choice CB. RB yes, CB not yet.

Gomez has had 3 serious injuries in 3 seasons.

Kompany was on his last legs I agree, yet look what he achieved as his swan song. About 7 clean sheets in 8 and a worldie to break out hearts. That's what I mean about depth chart. We dont have that.

I get priorities in other areas, however if there is one thing that Klopp has shown, is that he'll only buy the right players if they are available, regardless of position. He's not afraid to wait 2 or 3 transfer windows to get his man, even if it's in a position we aren't necessarily crying out for an upgrade. .

Personally I think we need a back up LB and another midfielder too especially a creative one. I'd like to see Wilson and Brewster given chances too next year. Wilson has the trickery to make it at the top and now has the experience.

I do get why people would like de Beek over de Ligt.

We might/probably will - end up with neither.

Last edited:
Take virgil out our team, and all of a sudden we are a nervous wreck (think how we thought the Bayern game might go, luckily it was at home).

How we thought the Bayern game, without Virgil, might go and how it did go (clean sheet, excellent defending) are two entirely different things ... most likely down to the fact that "we" thought wrong.

What I love is how we've set a reference point for prices that is going to mean every club that needs a cb, and there are loads, will pay tons.

But we bought the best one, by a mile.

At least one club is going to pay 40 million for a dogshit cb (not talking about de ligt) and their fans will justify it pointing at what vvd has done for us, and it will be hilarious.

How we thought the Bayern game, without Virgil, might go and how it did go (clean sheet, excellent defending) are two entirely different things ... most likely down to the fact that "we" thought wrong.
Right.. but that's a one off. Can we expect it to be replicated?

You're forgetting that we had Virgil fit in the league all season. My point is you can take one of them (city's defenders) out and another in and they dont seem to suffer to much

Matip would win the most improved player award, but it was only half a season. I hope the consistency continues, but is it a guarantee?

You need to start looking at some stats. And there are no guarantees, even for City's players. Laporte is considered by some way the best City CB (and like VvD played nearly every game, starting 35 and 1 as sub) but Matip, Lovren and Gomez all come close to his defensive stats (converted to percentages) i.e. blocks, tackles won, clearances, headers won and so on. Needless to say VvD is a street ahead of him. You can check them here : https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Take virgil out our team, and all of a sudden we are a nervous wreck (think how we thought the Bayern game might go, luckily it was at home). Albeit not as much with the big yellow wall behind. You're forgetting how well we play with Matip and Lovren in the same side from previous seasons. Just yuck!

Well Tom has already trashed this opinion so I'll say no more other than it's exactly what I was going to say !

Stop banging on about Hoever as CB, he's at least 3 years off being a first choice CB. RB yes, CB not yet.
Don't be ridiculous. You're banging on about De Ligt who's only 19 as a starter CB despite his experience. Hoever is 17. He stood in very well for us and I'm happy to have him as 5th CB which would likely never see him start in the PL or CL but see him playing in the LC or possibly early rounds FAC.

Gomez has had 3 serious injuries in 3 seasons.
And none of them related. Bad luck or a trend remains to be seen.

Kompany was on his last legs I agree, yet look what he achieved as his swan song. About 7 clean sheets in 8 and a worldie to break out hearts. That's what I mean about depth chart. We dont have that.
HIs stats don't match up to Matip, Lovren or Gomez. Again you are firing off wild shots.

It's often the same shit on 6CM, City's players clearly must be a lot better than ours (despite the team having an inferior defensive record and the defenders inferior stats).

You need to start looking at some stats. And there are no guarantees, even for City's players. Laporte is considered by some way the best City CB (and like VvD played nearly every game, starting 35 and 1 as sub) but Matip, Lovren and Gomez all come close to his defensive stats (converted to percentages) i.e. blocks, tackles won, clearances, headers won and so on. Needless to say VvD is a street ahead of him. You can check them here : https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Well Tom has already trashed this opinion so I'll say no more other than it's exactly what I was going to say !

Don't be ridiculous. You're banging on about De Ligt who's only 19 as a starter CB despite his experience. Hoever is 17. He stood in very well for us and I'm happy to have him as 5th CB which would likely never see him start in the PL or CL but see him playing in the LC or possibly early rounds FAC.

And none of them related. Bad luck or a trend remains to be seen.

HIs stats don't match up to Matip, Lovren or Gomez. Again you are firing off wild shots.

It's often the same shit on 6CM, City's players clearly must be a lot better than ours (despite the team having an inferior defensive record and the defenders inferior stats).

You clearly have an opinion, which you are entitled to. But stats mean fuck all sometimes.

Tackles won per 90 minutes, you actually want as low as possible, while clean sheets obviously as high as possible. Tackle % high as possible etc etc.

On their own stats can be misleading, you can spin them how you want to spin them.

So dont bring stats into the debate.

You just need to look the stature of De Ligt vs Hoever to see which one is ready for the premier league.

Right.. but that's a one off. Can we expect it to be replicated?
Why not ? Please don't use stats from a couple of seasons ago to support your theory, because that assumes Klopp had made no progress with the team, players or pairings. Surely recent form (1/3 or 1/2 a season ?) is enough.

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern
Matip & Fabinho : 0 shots on target and our attacking stats bettered theirs by a ratio of 2:1

We lost 2-1 to Wolves (Lovren & Fabinho) but then again had only 1 first team player starting (Fabinho) and of course even he was playing out of position.

We lost 1-2 to CFC in the LC. We had 3 first teamers starting, they had six and they finished the game with 7 vs our 3).

BTW VvD started every one of our 5 losses in the CL and PL. Which just goes to prove that it's not just the CBs but the whole team that has improved defensively with Becker now awesome, Fabinho now established and Robbo & TAA coming on leaps and bounds.

You clearly have an opinion, which you are entitled to. But stats mean fuck all sometimes.

Tackles won per 90 minutes, you actually want as low as possible, while clean sheets obviously as high as possible. Tackle % high as possible etc etc.

On their own stats can be misleading, you can spin them how you want to spin them.

So dont bring stats into the debate.

You just need to look the stature of De Ligt vs Hoever to see which one is ready for the premier league.
I said Hoever is good enough for our #5 and specifically said he would be unlikely to start a match (in fact more like #6 because Fabinho is ahead of him). And for that I have no problem.

Low number of tackles depends on the tactics and opposition. Maybe, with no change in tactics, you would you have preferred a low number of tackles vs. Spurs then ?

That's OK if you wish to dismiss a whole season's stats because you find they don't support your theory, which they clearly don't.

Guys, this De Ligt fella, does he not remind you of that overgrown type that is likely to get proper fat in the next few years. I dont like the look of him, he reminds of the type that walks around with skid marks in his pants.
Bahahaha. Yes.

Another clanger from this lad costs a goal. I've watched this lad twice and he's been shit twice.

Gives a peno away in pure clumsiness and then megged. No way this lad is ready.

That was terrible from De Ligt. Won't be able demand the money he's asking for now. Impossible.

Ajax is trying to sell snake oil here.
I am just astounded at the price been quoted. I know you all say the little darling is only 19 BUT all i can say is I dont give a shit ...75M ? Fuck Off, he still fucked up in that CL semi final. For that money, you need to be pretty flawless, and all i see are faulta, and arrogance, over confidence, and potential skid marks if you take his pants off.

Any ideas as to why the England supporters are booing Virgil van Dijk every time he is on the ball?

I know they are thick as fuck but there must be some reason other than that he is very good.

Any ideas as to why the England supporters are booing Virgil van Dijk every time he is on the ball?

I know they are thick as fuck but there must be some reason other than that he is very good.
They like the rest of the world are just scared of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom