• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If there's any Justice in the World? Lemar to be our Man?

Keita doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Salah = one first teamer
Robertson = squad filler (although he looks better than expected)

So that leaves one first teamer & three squad fillers. In 30 odd hours of the window, & not accounting for replacing anyone we let go. It's not just unlikely, it's damn near impossible.
Jesus, you want 6 squaddies and 2 first teamers? Christ on a bike, 8 players? I think the yoof players coming through are the squaddies we need for the most part (as well as the likes of Ings coming back from injury- he's like a new signing!) We'll sign 2 players with at least 1 first teamer before the end of the window. The Firm has said as much.

Keita doesn't count for obvious reasons.

Salah = one first teamer
Robertson = squad filler (although he looks better than expected)

So that leaves one first teamer & three squad fillers. In 30 odd hours of the window, & not accounting for replacing anyone we let go. It's not just unlikely, it's damn near impossible.
Have to update the figures: both Moreno and Milner are like new signings and there's Solanke too (supposedly to be blooded in U23 squad first though). :p

No bid made for the ox yet.

Appaz our officials are in Monaco to get Lemar £75m plus Origi loan. Doubt we'll go any higher given we want VVD, unless Coutinho is set to leave.

What sort of wage structure allows a mediocre centre back to earn 100k a week ?

I was talking more about upper limits of wages offered, and total wages paid annually.

What we actually pay the players within that structure is another matter. Let's not forget that Lucas was getting £80,000 a fucking week.

But our biggest wages are usually around £100,000 - 120,000, and reserved for the longest-serving, senior and/or top players at the club, like Sturridge, Henderson, Mane, Firmino, Salah, Milner etc.

We might pay Coutinho or a Suarez £200,000, but the wages offered by the Arabs are almost always going to blow us away.

Solanke...

Admittedly I had forgotten about solanke, which is bad cos I think the lad is going to set the league on fire this year.

Regardless of that & the rest of this debate though, we're going to get in nowhere near the numbers we need to bolster the squad for a full season of domestic & European footy at the intensity Klopp demands.

We are going to be overly reliant on young & unproven players.

Having four or five squad players come in would simply mean we train them & bed them into the side later on.

However, even assuming you're correct, that just means we should have bought the players we needed earlier in the window. Bolstering the squad numbers isn't dependant on players leaving so shouldn't have to be delayed.

Anyway, pass that kool aid lad.

But 4 or 5 squad players doesn't make sense? Those we have already. We need 1 or 2 pushing for starters plsce

If the ideal scenario comes about, we sign VVD, Lemar, and Oxlade, plus the Solanke you missed, surely thats you contented?

A lot more content. To be fully pleased I'd like squad players of average quality to replace any we let go as well, like Sakho etc. My estimate of six players in was based on our squad last season & the increase in games we have this season. To bring six in & lose four wouldn't help much with that.

I do however know that such expectations are unrealistic given our stupidly high wage bill.

Admittedly I had forgotten about solanke, which is bad cos I think the lad is going to set the league on fire this year.

Regardless of that & the rest of this debate though, we're going to get in nowhere near the numbers we need to bolster the squad for a full season of domestic & European footy at the intensity Klopp demands.

We are going to be overly reliant on young & unproven players.

Who have played well whenever given the opportunity.

The only place the young players worry me is CM and CB. I think we may have sufficient depth in CM (with Lemar and/or Ox also providing options there). CB is the main worry for me and it seems like VVD or bust.

After yesterday's high, pretty disappointed Indy Kaila isn't joining the meeting in France to live tweet the discussion tbh.

Who have played well whenever given the opportunity.

The only place the young players worry me is CM and CB. I think we may have sufficient depth in CM (with Lemar and/or Ox also providing options there). CB is the main worry for me and it seems like VVD or bust.

Young players often play well in some games. They are rarely consistent enough to help a side to any real degree of success.

I don't understand all this focus on our attack when its our defence that need a lot more work. I wish we were showing the same urgency with getting a CB.

Indeed. There's been so much centred on VVD, when the likes of Harry Maguire could have been bought weeks ago for £17m.

Even if we sign VVD, I'd have bought him anyway. I like the cut if his jib.

Young players often play well in some games. They are rarely consistent enough to help a side to any real degree of success.
Consistency is an issue, but does not improve without experience. But, this can be accommodated with "options". Sterling and Flannagan each contributed well to our run in 2013/14, in spite of their youth.

I really do not want squaddies just to provide depth. We have the most productive Academy in decades and need to provide a path for those players to shine. The current Real Madrid side is the model, rather than Chelsea, City or United. Combine youth and experience and develop players that will play for the next decade - and with some loyalty too.

A lot more content. To be fully pleased I'd like squad players of average quality to replace any we let go as well, like Sakho etc. My estimate of six players in was based on our squad last season & the increase in games we have this season. To bring six in & lose four wouldn't help much with that.

I do however know that such expectations are unrealistic given our stupidly high wage bill.

If we sign VVD then we have Sakho's replacement in the squad already - Lovren. But then it's not like Sakho has actually been in the squad for the last year.

Robertson has replaced Lucas and Milner - replacing Milner at LB and allowing him to replace Lucas in midfield. You could also argue that Gomez now offers Lucas' CB cover.

Salah/Mané have replaced Coutinho in the wide position, clearly the planning was for him to move centrally possibly to take Lallana's spot.

Keita for Gini, although that's a year away. If the rumours are true, then you'd have to assume that Oxlade-Chamberlain is being looked at for a CM spot.

We have enough depth now at RB also with the emergence of TAA and the return to fitness of Gomez, possibly reducing Clyne to second choice.

Why sign squad players of average quality, when we can push current first teamers back into the squad and replace them in the 'best 11' with better quality?

CB is the only position we look really thin on quality when everyone is fit and clearly we can always do better in goal.

to be frank , I think Moreno becoming half competent is the biggest win from the summer

If we sign VVD then we have Sakho's replacement in the squad already - Lovren. But then it's not like Sakho has actually been in the squad for the last year.

Robertson has replaced Lucas and Milner - replacing Milner at LB and allowing him to replace Lucas in midfield. You could also argue that Gomez now offers Lucas' CB cover.

Salah/Mané have replaced Coutinho in the wide position, clearly the planning was for him to move centrally possibly to take Lallana's spot.

Keita for Gini, although that's a year away. If the rumours are true, then you'd have to assume that Oxlade-Chamberlain is being looked at for a CM spot.

We have enough depth now at RB also with the emergence of TAA and the return to fitness of Gomez, possibly reducing Clyne to second choice.

Why sign squad players of average quality, when we can push current first teamers back into the squad and replace them in the 'best 11' with better quality?

CB is the only position we look really thin on quality when everyone is fit and clearly we can always do better in goal.

Come on. Full back looks strong on both sides, as you say, but at CB we don't even have a good enough pair of first-choice options, and as for the midfield, we have three fit and available but no real cover for Henderson.

As for up front, what would we do if Mane or Salah get injured or require a rest? Sturridge is hardly reliable either

We're very, very short on genuine squad depth and quality, as the bench against Arsenal showed

to be frank , I think Moreno becoming half competent is the biggest win from the summer

As one of the last remaining Moreno fans (Klopp excepted) I was delighted with his performance against Arsenal

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's proven nothing at all really and even on a Sunday was close to yet another classic Moreno fuckup in the box

Barca are in contact with him now, do they not realise they're directly sabotaging any chance they have of signing Coutinho by preventing us from signing his replacement?

Barca are in contact with him now, do they not realise they're directly sabotaging any chance they have of signing Coutinho by preventing us from signing his replacement?

But they been told to fuck off regarding Coutinho. Maybe they got that message by now.

Back
Top Bottom