• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Jack Lusby on X] Curtis Jones (23) has the biggest influence on a team’s xG of any player in this season’s Premier League. #LFC average 2.5 xG for and 0.8 against xG per 90 when Jones is on the pitch. An xG swing of +1.71 per 90.
The c*nts just figured that out now using stats ?
I knew that the season where he had games when VVD was out due to Pickford's assault

Yeah I have no idea what those xes and stats are supposed to mean but it's been quite obvious that we play better when he's in the side for a while

And 2hen you consider Jones has only been a consistent starter over the last 12 months, with sporadic minutes around that... It's doubly impressive

And 2hen you consider Jones has only been a consistent starter over the last 12 months, with sporadic minutes around that... It's doubly impressive
at the fact that he has to play within certain limits, sometimes i watch him now and am like thinking "come on man you can take on those 2 or 3 players marking you at the same time !!!"

I agree, wijnaldum scored 2 in that one game. Excellent point

Jones has 6 less goals than him in over 100 less appearances

Point stands
The point you made sounded as if Gini never scored. I could give other examples where he scored such as the winners against City and Chelsea, or away to Roma in a SF final but I think you know that already.

Of course Jones is going to have a better scoring ratio over a guy that played half his time as an anchor.

In the league they have the same goals to games ratio, so you could argue Jones' is only better due to his numbers recently in the cups.

The point you made sounded as if Gini never scored. I could give other examples where he scored such as the winners against City and Chelsea, or away to Roma in a SF final but I think you know that already.

Of course Jones is going to have a better scoring ratio over a guy that played half his time as an anchor.

In the league they have the same goals to games ratio, so you could argue Jones' is only better due to his numbers recently in the cups.

No no no. Gini did not play "the anchor". You're making it sound like he was the DM and nowhere near goal. He was decidedly reserved for us, either through tactics or conscious choices by him.

Im aware gini scored, but he should have scored a lot more for us, especially when you consider his international exploits, as well as his performances for Newcastle or psv

Jones is paying a similar role, where the LCM is always open for a pass and holds possession until transition is complete, either from the full backs or forwards or other mids; something he excels at. Difference is Jones off the ball movement when we're attacking is making him make those runs to attack, and he's drifting in perfectly when needed.

No no no. Gini did not play "the anchor". You're making it sound like he was the DM and nowhere near goal. He was decidedly reserved for us, either through tactics or conscious choices by him.

Im aware gini scored, but he should have scored a lot more for us, especially when you consider his international exploits, as well as his performances for Newcastle or psv

Jones is paying a similar role, where the LCM is always open for a pass and holds possession until transition is complete, either from the full backs or forwards or other mids; something he excels at. Difference is Jones off the ball movement when we're attacking is making him make those runs to attack, and he's drifting in perfectly when needed.
For a spell he did yes and it was because Klopp transitioned him to be so.....go back and read the quotes from him, in a way our whole midfield did back then......Fab was our out and out DM but Gini and Hendo would often share the responsibility of being the anchor as well. Tracking runs and wiggling out of dangerous areas in our defensive third was what he did. Gini also slotted in at CB when he was required.

If you can't see how his role here was different to when he was at his previous clubs or the national team then there isn't much else to discuss.

With Trent or now Joe providing the extra man in the middle, it allows for players like Szobo or Jones to be more involved offensively and arrive late in the penalty box.

You act like we haven't seen Jones dropping deeper in games? Jones often drifts back to help Macca. As does szob. Same as gini, when we're out of possession they drop back. Equally, when we were in possession, everyone moved forward, including gini.

I realise ginis role was different elsewhere, but that doesn't explain why he barely troubled himself to attempt efforts on goal.

It's not a problem and it's not an argument worth having. In my opinion Jones is wijnaldum with goals; so immediately a step up. The fact he's so young and can develop still is brilliant for us

It's interesting how Wijnaldum also started as a winger. Means both the players have good control of the ball and aren't easily dispossessed.
Jones is ironing out the issue of being like one of those annoying twats in school that used to want to dribble with the ball no matter what and only pass when all else failed.
He's finally releasing the ball reasonably quickly. He can and hopefully will get even better in that aspect.
He's improved far more than I thought he was capable of. He's genuinely fighting for the starting spot in midfield now which is amazing.

Curtis Jones is easily the most underrated player at this club, especially at the beginning of this season. His pressing game is immaculate, and he does so much of the unseen work off the ball for the team which makes us play so much better, I'm always glad to see him on the team sheet. It's good to see people are finally acknowledging this, it was beyond frustrating seeing people label him as invisible or poor in some of the games we've won this this season despite his positioning and pressing game being vital for us controlling the opposition in those games. Fair play to Moron too, sorry mate, it's often a kiss of death if you're championing something on here, but you've been spot on for years now, although I'm still convinced there's something sexually nefarious about your admiration for him.

Curtis Jones is easily the most underrated player at this club, especially at the beginning of this season. His pressing game is immaculate, and he does so much of the unseen work off the ball for the team which makes us play so much better, I'm always glad to see him on the team sheet. It's good to see people are finally acknowledging this, it was beyond frustrating seeing people label him as invisible or poor in some of the games we've won this this season despite his positioning and pressing game being vital for us controlling the opposition in those games. Fair play to Moron too, sorry mate, it's often a kiss of death if you're championing something on here, but you've been spot on for years now, although I'm still convinced there's something sexually nefarious about your admiration for him.
Fucking hell @Mystic !!! - you were doing so well until you bought me into the conversation !!! - when have I been wrong about players in our team ? - never I can't help some of you on here at times. @Frogfish - will go on about my views on Mac10 as DM being not so good in an earlier post but to be honest Mac10 has only being winning me with the eye test in the last few games. It remains to be seen if he manages well against a high press team/controlling, and we will find out on Saturday against Arsenal.

Oh - can I just add there is none of that "sexual" that relates to my liking of Curtis, I just think he is the best midfielder in the league, and actually make it the world. I actually mean that.

By the way folks - I honestly believe if we beat Arsenal away on Sunday - WE ARE WINNING THE LEAGUE

Jones has been really good since the turn of Dec. He wasn't that great earlier though, he was dropped to the bench numerous times. There is nothing wrong to call it what it is.

All of them took turns to turn up which is great to see. Szobo from the off, then Endo, then Curtis, now McA is easily our best midfielder. Just waiting for Graven to catch fire to bring us to the holy grail.

Jones has been really good since the turn of Dec. He wasn't that great earlier though, he was dropped to the bench numerous times. There is nothing wrong to call it what it is.

All of them took turns to turn up which is great to see. Szobo from the off, then Endo, then Curtis, now McA is easily our best midfielder. Just waiting for Graven to catch fire to bring us to the holy grail.

Sorry you are calling it all wrong - he was dropped to the bench because of constant injuries, and Klopp was probably trying to get him fit. It is no coincidence our turn of good fortune happened last season when he was given the chance to play a load of games with Trent inverting. Also that holding onto the ball to long - I never blamed him too much, especially when the only options to pass to midfield last season was Mr. & Mrs. Legless in Fabinho and Henderson.

Wijnaldum is perfect comparison for Jones. Both successfully transitioned from a wide forward/CAM to play a bespoke LCM in Klopps 4-3-3, which is pretty niche.

Jones is proving he had done it better. That's not something to be said flippantly either. Wijnaldum was very good and a key cog in the machine, but a cog is the right word. Gini let others shine around him. Jones is capable of doing that and more. Capable of the sensible ball retention, circulation stuff, but also has an eye for goal, and a drive to force the initiative, especially at the back post where he especially comes alive.

He's quicker, too, and more aggressive on the press. He's not quite as press resistant as Wijnaldum but he's not far off it there days. He can improve his attacking link-up play and incisive passes, but that really is nit-picking. He's transformation from a frustrating, cocksure, ket-fro chav, to a genuinely quality CM in 2 years (frequently curtailed by injury) is a outstanding indictment on Klopp, the coaching staff, and the man himself. Milner deserves a pat on the head, too- we all know it was Jones he was referring to

Good post.
I agree that there's certain aspects of Jones game that definitely is better, especially in offence, but as a whole Wijnaldum was better.

Wijnaldum was world class with the ball at his feet. We never complained about him holding the ball for too long, something that Jones still has a tendency to do. Gini was also quicker than Jones ( not saying that Jones is slow) and better in the air.

I agree that they are very similar in the way they play, but the main difference for me is that Jones is more of risk taker and I don't mean that in a bad way. He just takes more chances in offence and gets involved in attack more than Gini did. Some can argue that Gini was being held back by Klopp's tactics back then because he evidently scored a few goals for his national team, but I'm not totally sold on that.
Jones likes to go forward, he likes to hit the occasional "Hollywood pass", he shoots from time to time (Jones definitely has a better shot) and he isn't afraid to dribble past a few players and get into the box.
He definitely has a bright future ahead of him and I sincerely hope that our future manager also sees his potential.
I was totally wrong about him, he's more than a squad player.

Last edited:
He's done really well for himself over the last 12 months and helped the team during desperate times but for me he still frustrates on the ball, same old bad habit of holding onto the ball too long in promising positions and it ends up killing or slowing down attacks (a lot like Gini used to), I feel he could be a little less risk averse in his passing and show off his range a little more as he is capable. He needs to show on a consistent level he's as good on the ball as he is off it as his best attribute is still his pressing and stamina, he looks faster and stronger than he ever did which is a + sign. Another bad habit is being guilty of overplaying in our own penalty box, all you need to do is clear your lines, no fancy dragbacks or cruyff turns please or passing it back to Ali when there's literally a player stood on his toes.

I think hes a fantastic player. He has almost everything, and he's so hard to get the ball off. He used to hold onto the ball too long, but he's become more disciplined and more of a structural player (keeping procession and covering the gaps) due to amazing coaching and a willingness to learn.

I really hope Southgate doesn't notice.

EDIT: Someone said at half time v Chelsea that they didn't realise he was on the pitch... That person really needs to rewatch the game as he was so important in closing down the opposition, keeping the ball and keeping the shape which smothered Chelsea.

There’s not much to say that hasn’t been said. Being compared to peak Gini at such a young age speaks volumes. He has that little bit of magic, or unpredictability we require sometimes in those tight games too.

Wijnaldum is perfect comparison for Jones. Both successfully transitioned from a wide forward/CAM to play a bespoke LCM in Klopps 4-3-3, which is pretty niche.

Jones is proving he had done it better. That's not something to be said flippantly either. Wijnaldum was very good and a key cog in the machine, but a cog is the right word. Gini let others shine around him. Jones is capable of doing that and more. Capable of the sensible ball retention, circulation stuff, but also has an eye for goal, and a drive to force the initiative, especially at the back post where he especially comes alive.

He's quicker, too, and more aggressive on the press. He's not quite as press resistant as Wijnaldum but he's not far off it there days. He can improve his attacking link-up play and incisive passes, but that really is nit-picking. He's transformation from a frustrating, cocksure, ket-fro chav, to a genuinely quality CM in 2 years (frequently curtailed by injury) is a outstanding indictment on Klopp, the coaching staff, and the man himself. Milner deserves a pat on the head, too- we all know it was Jones he was referring to

Is everyone trying to get the worse out of me ? - Jones is the MOST press-resistant player in the whole of fucking Europe (probably the world) !!! - opposition team players never never take him on one for one, it's always 2 or more players that take him on, he can deal with 2 and sometimes 3 - otherwise they will go backwards to make a wall. It's been like that for him from 2 seasons ago. Go back and do your research from that Pandemic season - especially the Man City game at home when it was 1-1 and we went onto lose 1-4 - only after Jones got taken off. None of the City players attempted to take him on while he was on the pitch.

Good post.
I agree that there's certain aspects of Jones game that definitely is better, especially in offence, but as a whole Wijnaldum was better.

Wijnaldum was world class with the ball at his feet. We never complained about him holding the ball for too long, something that Jones still has a tendency to do. He was also quicker than Jones but it's not like Jones is slow and Gini was also better in the air.

I agree that they are very similar in the way they play, but the main difference for me is that Jones is more of risk taker and I don't mean that in a bad way. He just takes more chances in offence and gets involved in attack more than Gini did. Some can argue that Gini was being held back by Klopp's tactics back then because he evidently scored a few goals for his national team, but I'm not totally sold on that.
Jones likes to go forward, he likes to hit the occasional "Hollywood pass", he shoots from time to time (Jones definitely has a better shot) and he isn't afraid to dribble past a few players and get into the box.
He definitely has a bright future ahead of him and I sincerely hope that our future manager also sees his potential.
I was totally wrong about him, he's more than a squad player.
Very few players can make the progress he has over the past year (end of last season up to now) and this has to be put down to the coaching he's received as well as the player himself. He has become indispensable to the squad and definitely a midfield starter for the moment. I wonder if Thiago hadn't been injured if we'd seen the same progression as he wouldn't have had the same game time or starts.

He's always been very good. People didn't want to like him cos he looked and sounded like a twat, loads of fans were quick to jump on him for one misplaced pass because he looks like he was annoying people in his street on his BMX at four in the morning. In a very good midfield he's first pick. It's only injuries that have stopped him so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom