• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Junior Hoilett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all.

Not even remotely close to being one. We're one of the most wasteful clubs in the Premiership.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47359.msg1463484#msg1463484 date=1326451146]
Harsh in the extreme and I'm far from being 'arry's biggest fan. He added Modric and Adebayor who've more or less transformed them and made them contenders (at least for the CL places anyway). He might have added shite but he's also brought in players that have brought them to the fore. He's also been the one who's brought Bale on as a player, you could argue that would have happened anyway, but he's been the manager and got the best from him.

As for the players listed, well they were the stepping stones, it's easy to say now they were failures, they helped Spurs maintain a healthy squad with depth and variation, which has enabled them to climb to where they are now. Defoe hasn't been a failure, he's had his purple patches but that's what's got them the points during those spells.
[/quote]

Modric was already there. Adebayor - good deal, but he'll be gone soon

I don't think it's harsh at all, what people routinely attribute to managerial greatness is more often than not just a product of overspending.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47359.msg1463489#msg1463489 date=1326451331]
Not at all.

Not even remotely close to being one. We're one of the most wasteful clubs in the Premiership.
[/quote]

Yep. It seems to have been going on forever now. I know we have bought good players and every manager has his hits and misses, but ours decisions are just baffling at times. Carroll didn't make any sense at all other than buying because we 'had' to. We may aswell have just tried to get Bellamy again and made do until the Summer for all of big Andy's impact.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47359.msg1463489#msg1463489 date=1326451331]
Not at all.

[/quote]

really? we utilise virtually every player in our squad and I would have thought outside the 'stars' the rest of the squad is on relatively low wages.

As i said, we aren't in for him:

The boss is not anticipating there to be much transfer activity at Anfield this month, though there is the opportunity for the Reds to bring in new faces should they wish to do so.

Dalglish told reporters at Melwood: "We've got an option to be active if we want to be active, but we said at the outset that we'd be quiet.

"It's work in progress for us. We'll just keep doing what we're doing, and the boys will keep working as hard as they can, and we'll see where we go.

"If we needed somebody to bolster up, we could do it - but I said right at the outset, we don't.

"We're not really chasing after anybody that we want to bring in in January. We've been happy with what they (the players) have done since August."

He added: "I don't think it is unusual when we said at the start we would not be very busy. I think it's unusual when people try to invent things, get it horribly wrong and then ask us to justify it.

"We said right at the outset, if anything there will be very little (transfer activity). It's a wee bit disrespectful to us after trying to be honest and saying there might not be much, that we get accused of not being active."

I think the more successful you are, the more you have to overspend to get the players you want though. There are very few examples of top teams getting bargains. Most of Spurs' bargains came before they "hit the big time".

There are examples though, and hopefully we'll get one or two of them, they generally come from South America or somewhere where we don't get to see much football from.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47359.msg1463490#msg1463490 date=1326451374]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47359.msg1463484#msg1463484 date=1326451146]
Harsh in the extreme and I'm far from being 'arry's biggest fan. He added Modric and Adebayor who've more or less transformed them and made them contenders (at least for the CL places anyway). He might have added shite but he's also brought in players that have brought them to the fore. He's also been the one who's brought Bale on as a player, you could argue that would have happened anyway, but he's been the manager and got the best from him.

As for the players listed, well they were the stepping stones, it's easy to say now they were failures, they helped Spurs maintain a healthy squad with depth and variation, which has enabled them to climb to where they are now. Defoe hasn't been a failure, he's had his purple patches but that's what's got them the points during those spells.
[/quote]

Modric was already there. Adebayor - good deal, but he'll be gone soon

I don't think it's harsh at all, what people routinely attribute to managerial greatness is more often than not just a product of overspending.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I don't think he's a great manager at all. I just think he's done some of the basics well, he's always had pace in key areas and on the bench. I agree re Adebayor, but in the interim he's done the job for them this season and been the difference for me. They'll get found out against the big teams, they always do and Harry will get bored soon or his baggage will become too much for the Spurs hierarchy to carry.

Cheers for the replies all.

The missing piece was obviously a bit tongue in cheek but I am actually of the opinion that we're not far of a very capable team.

I'd love for us to improve our squad depth with great talents, like Hoilett obviously seems to be, but won't he demand a transfer in the area of £20M? Then you'd have to expect not only a major talent but also one who'd be capable of stepping directly into our starting XI.

As Mark said mind we really need another pacy player albeit I actually think Downing falls into that bracket as well despite his others short-comings so far.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47359.msg1463495#msg1463495 date=1326451606]
I think the more successful you are, the more you have to overspend to get the players you want though. There are very few examples of top teams getting bargains. Most of Spurs' bargains came before they "hit the big time".

There are examples though, and hopefully we'll get one or two of them, they generally come from South America or somewhere where we don't get to see much football from.
[/quote]

I don't think you have to necessarily overspend. You might have to spend big but the key is spending well. Look at United. They might not always buy superstars but they buy the players that fit their mentality and the way they play. We try too often to fit square pegs into round holes, the fans can see it every time. It's frustrating.

I mean that if United, or City are in for a player, they'll pay more than they're worth. More than they would be if the player was going to Villa or someone. You pay a premium for being a big club.

I think it's key to have a good youth system. if you are blood young players then all the money you save with regards to buying someone for that position you can pour into quality players. our problem is in the last 10 years there have been precious few quality youth coming into the team so every penny of the transfer budget has had to be used to fill all the positions in the team. imagine if carroll and henderson had come through the youth we'd be millions better off and that money could be used in other areas.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=47359.msg1463430#msg1463430 date=1326447685]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=47359.msg1463411#msg1463411 date=1326446209]
[quote author=Pesam link=topic=47359.msg1463397#msg1463397 date=1326443373]
[quote author=refugee link=topic=47359.msg1463369#msg1463369 date=1326424376]
[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47359.msg1463285#msg1463285 date=1326406348]
I really don't know why people are getting so excited about this lad. I really don't think he's as good as some are making out.
[/quote]

Me neither mate.
[/quote]

From the bits I've seen of him, he lacks the pace of a Walcott or a Lennon but has better end product. He is quicker than those annoyingly slow wide men like Bentley, Brunt, Gamst Pedersen - so potentially an exciting signing; speedy(ish) with decent end product.
[/quote]

If you were Kenny would you sign him?
[/quote]

Y'see if I were Kenny I'd have been in favour of signing Downing but for no more than £10m i.e. he's a decent squad player. In that every player has a price, yes I'd be in favour of signing him but for no more than £8m (I'd risk £12m but with his contract down to 6 months we don't have to).
[/quote]

Well seeing as you're the 2nd best scout we have on here and i can't make up my mind on this lad, i'll go along with your opinion on this one.

[quote author=Ossi link=topic=47359.msg1463453#msg1463453 date=1326449348]
We could have had Johnson from City for less than £20m (instead of Downing), couldn't we?
[/quote]

Wait, what ?

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463494#msg1463494 date=1326451599]
[/quote]

You still believe your mate from Sky Sports then?

Awful lot of rumours from people who know their stuff that says otherwise.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=47359.msg1463543#msg1463543 date=1326456308]
[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463494#msg1463494 date=1326451599]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dunno, Sky sports chat ALOT of shite. Twitter is just full of shite though. So yeah, not spoken to him since the other day when he still said he doesn't think we've been touch.

So yeah, I'll stay with it, until he calls a Budha and tells me we're defo signing Tevez and Ronaldo or something.

Apperantly Bolton are closest to agreeing a fee, we on the other hand are dicking about as usual with our low offer tactics.

If he's available for 7-8 mill, you'd have to question how we conduct these negotiations. For a player of his talent 7-8 mill is a bargain and a no brainer. Why fuck it up over a mill or 2...

Or why not tell him to hold out until the summer if he really wants to play for us? Save £7m or £8m and get him when his contracts finished?

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=47359.msg1463691#msg1463691 date=1326469877]
Apperantly Bolton are closest to agreeing a fee, we on the other hand are dicking about as usual with our low offer tactics.

If he's available for 7-8 mill, you'd have to question how we conduct these negotiations. For a player of his talent 7-8 mill is a bargain and a no brainer. Why fuck it up over a mill or 2...
[/quote]

You have considered that were not even in for him though, yeah?

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463700#msg1463700 date=1326470304]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think everyone has considered that possibility unless they have you on ignore.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=47359.msg1463701#msg1463701 date=1326470382]
[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463700#msg1463700 date=1326470304]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think everyone has considered that possibility unless they have you on ignore.
[/quote]

Haha, so true.

I hope we sign him, the sole reason for this is for a slap down on Hardcastle. (Nothing personal)

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think I've ever wanted us to sign a player more than I do Hoilett. And I've not really seen him play.

nuclear_bomb.jpe

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463550#msg1463550 date=1326457174]
[quote author=Hansern link=topic=47359.msg1463543#msg1463543 date=1326456308]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dunno, Sky sports chat ALOT of shite. Twitter is just full of shite though. So yeah, not spoken to him since the other day when he still said he doesn't think we've been touch.

So yeah, I'll stay with it, until he calls a Budha and tells me we're defo signing Tevez and Ronaldo or something.
[/quote]

For fucks sake - FOR THE LAST TIME - I never once posted that we were signing Neymar. A mate (who's been right about some stuff in the past) e-mailed me to say we were one of a few big clubs actively pitching/negotiating for him. No more.

Obviously, he was probably having a giggle at my expense.

I'm going to seriously knock the fucking teeth out of anyone who carries on with this shit once I work out to punch through an internet screen. Just imagine the depths of repressed anger in a Buddha waiting to knock some of you cunts out. Imagine.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463713#msg1463713 date=1326471020]
How do I see how many people are ignoring me?
[/quote]

Check how many people are answering you. The rest are ignoring you.

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=47359.msg1463756#msg1463756 date=1326473153]
[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47359.msg1463713#msg1463713 date=1326471020]
How do I see how many people are ignoring me?
[/quote]

Check how many people are answering you. The rest are ignoring you.
[/quote]

Congrats, youre part of a very elite group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom