• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its somewhere in between isnt it, he hasnt been very good but he hasnt been that bad either.
You can find all types of useless statistics, that he still hasnt lost a league game as a Liverpool player, that he loses the ball the least of the central midfielders or that he creates the most chances, but none are really relevant.
All in all he has been injury prone and invisible in to many games.
But the talent is there and he is a lot different then our other midfieders and has qualities that we need.
Thats one of the key things to a great squad isnt it, having different player profiles and qualities to complement each other and letting Klopp set up his team from game to game and type of opponent.

All in all, he hasnt been good enough but has showed at times what he can do. Next season will be make or break for him I guess. So its all about consistency and staying fit.

Against West Ham one of the journos reported that Klopp and Lijnders were gesturing and shouting at him to move in certain areas more than a few times, and he didnt do it. A few minutes later he was subbed.
If he continues that trend, I guess Klopp will sell earlier than after next season.
Big few months ahead for him.
Hope he makes it, as when he’s on he’s a great player to watch. That triple nut meg against Bournemouth comes to mind.

If it wasn't for Fred he might be the worst £50m midfielder ever signed.
Pogba, Di Maria, Ndombele, James - plenty of big money failures. In this market, 50 million failures will be nothing uncommon soon.

In any case, while he's been underwhelming, he's hardly been some unqualified bust. If we were to sell him, we'd get about 40 million easily.

It's weird cos he was bought with a plan. But basically yeah if he wasn't perma crocked he'd be good but he is so he's not gonna make it

Pogba, Di Maria, Ndombele, James - plenty of big money failures. In this market, 50 million failures will be nothing uncommon soon.

In any case, while he's been underwhelming, he's hardly been some unqualified bust. If we were to sell him, we'd get about 40 million easily.

From who ?

Eriksen is the same age, way better, and only sold for 17m

But our midfield has arguably improved through losing its most creative and skilful player in Coutinho.

Has it though? Maybe we have more physicality and a bigger engine, but we lost about 13 goals and 7 assists a season. By contrast, on average, Henderson has 1 goal and 3 assists per season, Wijnaldum has about 3 goals and 0 assists, and Fabinho has about 2 goals and 2 assists. In others words, by those two key metrics, Coutinho did more than the rest of what’s left combined. Yes, I know, it’s not the best metrics by which midfielders should be judged, but to say that him leaving improved our midfield is a stretch.

Coutinho leaving made our defense better no doubt.

We still could use a lock picker like KDB. I think Keita was supposed to help out with that without compromising on our midfield defensive ability. So far he has not lived up to that billing other than a couple of very good performances against lower-level premier league teams.

Goals and assists mean fuck all in our midfield, it is not their job.

Mmm, it's arguable that Klopp would like a bit more creativity from his midfield though, otherwise why would he have bought players like Keita and Shaqiri, and tried hard to bring in the likes of Fekir and Teixeira?

It is a bit weird that our centre half is always shorter odds to score first than our midfielders, no matter who plays. But look at the results

Basically agree with what’s been said. There’s a player in there, he looks like he could be fantastic, just not here.

He’s too shy, not dominating games, perma-injured, and just not good enough.

I’d get rid.

We are currently over relying on our fullbacks to make things happen for our strikers. That isn't good because one of our two fullbacks are unique, Trent. When he is off his game, or being pinned back, we suffer in goal creation. Atletico Madrid game came to mind. So Keita is needed to do the creative work, or any of our midfielders. Henderson is a workhorse, and so is Wijnaldum. But Keita's inability to stay fit enough to perform at the top level stopped Klopp from trusting him to take on teams like Atletico Madrid. So we need those "silky midfielders", and I trust the ones we get would run through brick wall for us, why? Because if not, I don't think Klopp would have brought him into the team. Every single one of our players willing to die for the team today, even when Coutinho was part of us.

Our fullbakcs is definately part of our gameplan, but I am not sure we are over relying on them. I think we have adjusted our game well and given them freedom to play an important attacking role. But that would never been working if the midfielders didn't do their job protecting the areas they leave open.

We were known for struggling to break down deeplying defences. We needed that extra spark from Coutinho as we tried to break down through the middle. After adjusting we are using the fullbacks to double up on flanks and are more going around tight defences rather than trying to walk through them. Hence, the fullbacks are expected to be part of an attacking line. But all this relies on us winning the ball back through a lot of defensive movement and pressure from midfield. They are exceptional good at that. So the unique Trent is just as much a result of how we play with being allowed to develop that role based on a hard working Henderson covering for him. It is not him alone, this is very much a teameffort.

I think it is working well. We break down tight defences better coming wide than trying to force it through the middle. But pointing in single players is not fair. We have to remember that even Milner was very efficient as fullback in same system. We need to find the right players to do the fullback job, that is correct, but they are having very interesting roles based on the hard work done by those central (including Firmino who very often sacrifice himself on running back winning back the ball, leaving the fullbacks able to push further up the field).

We were known for struggling to break down deeplying defences. We needed that extra spark from Coutinho as we tried to break down through the middle. After adjusting we are using the fullbacks to double up on flanks and are more going around tight defences rather than trying to walk through them.

This is the theoretical Coutinho described above - but the reality is he's not a player who helped or even thrived against deep lying defences apart from the occasional long distance shot.

His best work was always done in quick counter attacks.

The problem for us with reliance on our fullbacks is there are not many who can do what they do. We're succeeding a lot of because how good they are as opposed to how good the system allows them to be.

It does put them in a position to make lots of attacking contributions but that would just expose more limited fullbacks.
For example if Glen Johnson was playing right back instead of TAA we'd be way worse off - his passing and crossing were not half as good. We'd be talking about how many good opportunities he fucks up.

I think we need some dynamism in that midfield and on a good day Keita represents that.

But even if we were to get rid of Keita who in world football could we sign that has similar skillset, someone able to dribble like an attacking mid but also defend like a defensive midfielder? There's not many of those types around.

I think we need some dynamism in that midfield and on a good day Keita represents that.

But even if we were to get rid of Keita who in world football could we sign that has similar skillset, someone able to dribble like an attacking mid but also defend like a defensive midfielder? There's not many of those types around.

Starting from the bottom of the table:

Norwich - Cantwell
Watford - Docourre - not the best dribbler but good at what he does
West Ham - Anderson - dunno if he could defend but he's dead good anyway so I'll let him off. Rice is a more obvious choice for someone who can do both but I think he's a nob
Aston Villa - Grealish
Bournemouth - Oh shit we already own him
Brighton - I don't know any Brighton players
Newcastle - Longstaff. I'd have said Shelvey but I'm being half serious for once
Palace - Milivojevic - bit limited going forward but whatever
Southampton - there's about four of them. No wonder we buy all their players
Everton - Gomes or even that Davies
Burnley - Fuck Burnley
Arsenal - Guendouzi
Wolves - Moutinho
Sheff Utd - dunno enough about them individually
Spurs - difficult one... Sissoko?
Utd - Pogba
Chelsea - Jorghino
Leicester - take your pick
Citeh - same

West Ham - Anderson - dunno if he could defend but he's dead good anyway so I'll let him off. Rice is a more obvious choice for someone who can do both but I think he's a nob

He sounds exactly like Joe Cole but less intelligent, I instantly hated him as soon as he opened his mouth.

yeah same. He's meant to be the next big thing in English midfield talent but he's also a total remtard

Norwich - Cantwell
Aston Villa - Grealish
Newcastle - Longstaff. I'd have said Shelvey but I'm being half serious for once
Burnley - Fuck Burnley
Arsenal - Guendouzi
Wolves - Moutinho
Utd - Pogba
Chelsea - Jorghino
Citeh - same

Corrections:
Norwich: Add Buendia
West Ham: Anderson more of a winger and Rice is more comfortable further down he pitch. I'd say Lanzini would be the best fit.
Spurs: I'd go Dele Alli.
Chelsea: Nope, not Jorginho. It's Mason Mount. I'd possibly play Willian there.

The obvious doubts are his mentality and body. For the price we've paid it is concerning that we've invested significant resources into him and whilst we're not reliant on him, we were hoping he would take our midfield to a different level. In reality it's only Chamberlain who is doing that when he's actually fit and firing.

Keita seems like he could do with time with the sports psychologist and 1-1 Klopp time to get him fired up more. He seems a bit timid and meek.

On the positive side, there's no doubting his natural ability. He is a very gifted and unique CM, capable of playing from box to box. I'm sure Klopp has a pretty detailed plan in place to get the best out of him for next season. He's not the sort to invest heavily and not try everything to make it work.

If he doesn't deliver next season then my hopes will start to fade but until then he deserves a bit of patience.

The obvious doubts are his mentality and body. For the price we've paid it is concerning that we've invested significant resources into him and whilst we're not reliant on him, we were hoping he would take our midfield to a different level. In reality it's only Chamberlain who is doing that when he's actually fit and firing.

Keita seems like he could do with time with the sports psychologist and 1-1 Klopp time to get him fired up more. He seems a bit timid and meek.

On the positive side, there's no doubting his natural ability. He is a very gifted and unique CM, capable of playing from box to box. I'm sure Klopp has a pretty detailed plan in place to get the best out of him for next season. He's not the sort to invest heavily and not try everything to make it work.

If he doesn't deliver next season then my hopes will start to fade but until then he deserves a bit of patience.
We know what Klopps plan us for Keita... buy his mate Tim so that he feels more confident in our team and is able to get out of his shell.

Norwich - Cantwell
Aston Villa - Grealish
Burnley - Fuck Burnley
Arsenal - Guendouzi
Wolves - Moutinho
Utd - Pogba
Chelsea - Jorghino
Citeh - same

Fucking Tom Davies?! Are you fucking serious? Richarlison, obviously

I am outraged. And you've fucked up Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham and Palace too

(EDIT: oh. Midfielders. Right.

You've still fucked up Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham though)

Reactions: dee
a) I didn't spend any time thinking about it, it's not gonna be accurate, it's just a list of players who could probs do much the same job as Keita, some of them better
b) I'm not really arsed, I just thought we'd bought a superstar, everyone did, but this stupid list shows what we've actually got is a pretty average premier league player

Hey, I'm a huge fan of stupid lists, I used to do them all the time when we had loads of shit players

(OK, it was usually 'players better than Lucas')

a) I didn't spend any time thinking about it, it's not gonna be accurate, it's just a list of players who could probs do much the same job as Keita, some of them better
b) I'm not really arsed, I just thought we'd bought a superstar, everyone did, but this stupid list shows what we've actually got is a pretty average premier league player
Great list actually, some of those players I've considered. Watfords Dacorure looks like a good one i do like him although sometimes he comes off as the French Carlton Palmer lol

As for Keita the weight of being compared to a cross between Kante and Coutinho seems to much, if he can stay fit and improve like Gini then maybe he'll be alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom