• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lallana

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not. There's a very real argument to be had about Lallana's quality. You're entitled to your opinion about that, but when a majority of your fellow fans don't share it you might be well advised to wonder why.

It is a pointless argument, Sterling and Sturridge are both streets ahead of Lallana...

Lallana is a good player and will never be anything more than that but he isn't near the level of Sturridge or Sterling and never will be. I haven't seen anyone say he is as good as those two so the majority of my fellow fans don't share it.

I would say most people are split on Lallana, there are those who love him and those that don't. Probably in the same way as Allen although that Allen love is dwindling, will it be the same for Lallana, who knows. I actually hope he does well and gets to the same level as Sturridge and Sterling as it will bode well for us.

Your argument was that there is a lack of talent if Lallana starts for England. I pointed out Sterling and Sturridge also starts for England meaning you are implying their quality is also 'Lallana' level.

If you're gonna be all pissy about it then its not worth the discussion.

I like Lallana, though he is not a world beater in terms of his talent is a very decent option to have..

He is huge improvement on Allen, who imho, needs to be shipped out asap...

Your argument was that there is a lack of talent if Lallana starts for England. I pointed out Sterling and Sturridge also starts for England meaning you are implying their quality is also 'Lallana' level.

If you're gonna be all pissy about it then its not worth the discussion.

There is a lack of talent in english football, I think we can agree on that.

Lallana is of average quality, imo. Therefore if he starts for England it shows this lack of quality, you said well Studge and Sterling start so what are you saying about them to which I replied they are better players than Lallana. I don't see how I am getting pissy?

I wasn't implying that every player who plays for England is average, just a lot of them.

Sterling's streets ahead of most players but even he's had his off days this season, and the question whether the Studge is streets ahead of Lallana isn't anything like as clear - apart from anything else they play in different positions, so you're comparing apples with oranges. Even the comparison with Sterling only makes any sense because he's so versatile he can fill in anywhere.

As for the views of other fans on Lallana, why guess when there's evidence? A player who was merely the kind of slightly higher quality workhorse you claim Lallana to be wouldn't have got as high as he has on Morse's MOTM table.

Lallana's a good player, anyone can see that.

I did say at the time I felt we overpaid, but he's got lots of quality and seems to be linking up well with Countinho and Sterling, it takes time to incorporate some players but he's getting there. As Ryan pointed out, he looks like a player who will replace some of what we lost with Suarez, in terms of hunting for the ball in attack and using his excellent control to get us out of trouble AND to set up breaks. He's getting there - he'll push on when we have a striker for him and Coutinho to feed.

The whole argument against him seems to be settling on the fee rather than his actual talent, anyone with eyes who enjoys watching the game can see his quality. Forget the fee, the market and our own financial clout at the time helped dictate the fee. People might say similar about Milner, he's a good player and has contributed heavily to what City have achieved, he might not be as pleasing on the eye as some players, but his end product is always there. Lallana's got alot more natural ability, if he can keep up the same level of hunger that he's shown lately then things will fall into place for him and us.

Sterling's streets ahead of most players but even he's had his off days this season, and the question whether the Studge is streets ahead of Lallana isn't anything like as clear - apart from anything else they play in different positions, so you're comparing apples with oranges. Even the comparison with Sterling only makes any sense because he's so versatile he can fill in anywhere.

As for the views of other fans on Lallana, why guess when there's evidence? A player who was merely the kind of slightly higher quality workhorse you claim Lallana to be wouldn't have got as high as he has on Morse's MOTM table.

Where is Morse's MOTM table as I can't find it, would actually like to see it. My argument to that would be that compared to last season all of our players have dropped their performances massively this season.

I disagree that you can't compare players because they don't play in the same position. We both agree that Sterling is class and streets ahead of Lallana I would say Sturridge is too because he has all the attributes, he scores, creates, has pace and vision, scores vital goals all highly valuable things, I would say Sturridge is a man for the occasion as well, when we need a goal he will get you one.

Lallana is a good player, nothing more, he is technically good, works hard - my issue with him is that I am not sure what he offers above having good technique and working hard, he isn't a defence splitter with passes, he isn't a beat a man with pace or skill, he won't run beyond. The above three things are all what we need.

Lallana's a good player, anyone can see that.

I did say at the time I felt we overpaid, but he's got lots of quality and seems to be linking up well with Countinho and Sterling, it takes time to incorporate some players but he's getting there. As Ryan pointed out, he looks like a player who will replace some of what we lost with Suarez, in terms of hunting for the ball in attack and using his excellent control to get us out of trouble AND to set up breaks. He's getting there - he'll push on when we have a striker for him and Coutinho to feed.

The whole argument against him seems to be settling on the fee rather than his actual talent, anyone with eyes who enjoys watching the game can see his quality. Forget the fee, the market and our own financial clout at the time helped dictate the fee. People might say similar about Milner, he's a good player and has contributed heavily to what City have achieved, he might not be as pleasing on the eye as some players, but his end product is always there. Lallana's got alot more natural ability, if he can keep up the same level of hunger that he's shown lately then things will fall into place for him and us.

I agree, I have said he has quality but not as good as some people think. You could be right, maybe when Sturridge is back and fit the front four of Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana will combine all the attributes of them all into a get attacking force which on paper it should be, the pace of sturridge and sterling, the guile and trickery of Coutinho and the hunger and control of Lallana.

Mark, you know what you could be right that sub-consciously I am using the inflated fee to expect more....

There is a lack of talent in english football, I think we can agree on that.

Lallana is of average quality, imo. Therefore if he starts for England it shows this lack of quality, you said well Studge and Sterling start so what are you saying about them to which I replied they are better players than Lallana. I don't see how I am getting pissy?

I wasn't implying that every player who plays for England is average, just a lot of them.
Ah, you see the England team as a hallmark for being a quality player, the best the country can offer.

I don't, I read your sentence as if playing for England was a sign of poor quality.

Dahuge: you'll find a thread called "Morse's Player of the Season" on the Main Forum list. The table's there and on it you'll find Lallana in third, only one point behind Coutinho in second, though both are some way behind Sterling at the top.

We'll have to agree to differ about Lallana-v-the Studge (whom I also like BTW) for a number of reasons. One: Lallana has as much vision and creates at least as much as the Studge does. Two: the Studge plays up top, so it's not reasonable to expect Lallana (or anybody else playing further back) to get as many goals - doing so is just trying to create an artificial stick to beat Lallana with. Three: Lallana not only can but does beat players with sheer skill. Nobody in the squad, not even Sterling, is better at playing his way out of a tight corner.

Dahuge: you'll find a thread called "Morse's Player of the Season" on the Main Forum list. The table's there and on it you'll find Lallana in third, only one point behind Coutinho in second, though both are some way behind Sterling at the top.

We'll have to agree to differ about Lallana-v-the Studge (whom I also like BTW) for a number of reasons. One: Lallana has as much vision and creates at least as much as the Studge does. Two: the Studge plays up top, so it's not reasonable to expect Lallana (or anybody else playing further back) to get as many goals - doing so is just trying to create an artificial stick to beat Lallana with. Three: Lallana not only can but does beat players with sheer skill. Nobody in the squad, not even Sterling, is better at playing his way out of a tight corner.

Will check that out, was looking in completely the wrong place...

Fair enough, BTW I wasn't using Sturridge's goals in comparison to Lallana as I agree that would be unfair. Maybe I expect too much from Lallana, to me he doesn't seem to create much or maybe he only does it when it is "on" not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I agree his close control is good and in tight spots he is accomplished, he just is missing something for me. But I take you point son board, as I said in reply to Mark's post maybe because of the price tag I am expecting too much, I'll try to look at him without prejudice tonight.

Will check that out, was looking in completely the wrong place...

Fair enough, BTW I wasn't using Sturridge's goals in comparison to Lallana as I agree that would be unfair. Maybe I expect too much from Lallana, to me he doesn't seem to create much or maybe he only does it when it is "on" not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I agree his close control is good and in tight spots he is accomplished, he just is missing something for me. But I take you point son board, as I said in reply to Mark's post maybe because of the price tag I am expecting too much, I'll try to look at him without prejudice tonight.

@Dahuge - how'd that work out while watching him tonight?

He was excellent and, IMO, a whisker behind Coutinho for MOM.

@Modo

Quite good tonight.

Yes and that's why he's my 2nd player after Coutinho for MOM.
Lallana's first half was a bit average but after that fluke goal he really stepped it up and that 2nd goal was sublime.
He needs to keep it up, that's what he was bought to do. The fee might be weighing him down a bit but he's in his prime and therefore needs to be more prominent for us.
So yeah, he did really well today, I hope he keeps it up. It's a step in the right direction.

It's not that I want to be harsh but the keeper hit him with the ball. That was abysmal from Fabianski who could easily have cleared it in the opposite direction.
Of course he did well to pressure the keeper.
You are gonna love him in the end. It will be purely cheesy Hollywood love for the beardy Cruyff turny fucker.

Yes and that's why he's my 2nd player after Coutinho for MOM.
Lallana's first half was a bit average but after that fluke goal he really stepped it up and that 2nd goal was sublime.
He needs to keep it up, that's what he was bought to do. The fee might be weighing him down a bit but he's in his prime and therefore needs to be more prominent for us.
So yeah, he did really well today, I hope he keeps it up. It's a step in the right direction.

The only ones the fee is weighing down. Are down minded people like yourself His talent has always been shown 25m is nothing for a player like this his value to us has just begun to rise he will be worth 38m in July if he remains uninjured. That should be our biggest worry,

The only ones the fee is weighing down. Are down minded people like yourself His talent has always been shown 25m is nothing for a player like this his value to us has just begun to rise he will be worth 38m in July if he remains uninjured. That should be our biggest worry,
Getting schooled by Jason is like a badge of honour.

You know what fucking credit to lallana tonight worked his bollocks off and got what he deserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom