• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leicester For The Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the point perfectly because, despite your attempts to dress it up, it is a very simplistic view.

Your second line "some championships are won on a single incident" says it all. They are not. They can be decided on a single incident, but they are won over an entire season.

Try and be less patronising though eh, it's only football and opinions.
Semantics. Won / Decided, now whose being patronising. Won over an entire season is more than stating the obvious, however I'm happy to see you finally admitting that they can be decided by a single incident.

Semantics. Won / Decided, now whose being patronising. Won over an entire season is more than stating the obvious, however I'm happy to see you finally admitting that they can be decided by a single incident.

There's nothing patronising about that. There is a clear distinction between the two on this point. Happy to sub those two words for something else if it helps.

Finally admitting? I have never said otherwise. What I have said is that these moments that fans latch onto are not the sole reason for a championship win. You're arguing against that for some unknown reason, like it is some kind of falsehood. Bizarre.

There's nothing patronising about that. There is a clear distinction between the two on this point. Happy to sub those two words for something else if it helps.

Finally admitting? I have never said otherwise. What I have said is that these moments that fans latch onto are not the sole reason for a championship win. You're arguing against that for some unknown reason, like it is some kind of falsehood. Bizarre.
I've maintained the same position throughout this thread. You on the other hand are wall over the place .... flip flopper.

Luck will always be a major factor in the game, thankfully, and most teams winning big trophies need it to go all the way, I don't think many posters would argue otherwise. Even if you are Barcelona, you'll need it to swing it your way against Real and so on.

Having said that where Leicester are today and Spurs for that matter is not down to 'luck' - that's at least not how I see it. They may have been lucky in games and with certain decisions but you don't sit in the front seat of the PL in February purely on luck but you could perhaps argue that the team winning it in the end may have rode their luck a bit more than the team missing out. But it's not mainly down to luck that they are not sitting where we are and vice versa.

All this talk about luck, fluke etc. is quite frankly a lack of respect towards the Foxes achievement so far isn't it? And even more so when you look at how convincing they have looked most season.

@Judge Jules
The reason why I believe Leicester's run of form and aim at the crown is very good for the league in general mate, is down to the obvious fact that they underline that it's not all about money. We have talked a lot over the years how money has ruined the game and maybe, just maybe, this could somehow indicate that money has become less important - if you have them. And by that I mean, can you hold on to your players (which is obv also a very costly expense these days) then the gain from buying like mad men becomes less obvious compared to those 'building' teams from within, keeping squads intact.

It's been said over and over again but the combined cost of their team could only buy them one of Raheem or Sterling. It's crazy. Their team gel, they have a plan, they have got a lot of the right players in the right positions and a manager that make them perform well. They have managed to get a lot of their key players hitting form at the right time and stay clear of too many injuries. But they haven't spend big on any one player. It's not their large wallet that has taken them there.

This will inevitably mean that, at least on paper, that the next years PL seems bang open. It will give teams with lesser budgets than City, United and Chelsea a large boost of morale, knowing that it's possible to compete. That the league CAN be won on the training-ground, through clever tactics and the right, but not expensive, players. Personally I am not even sure Leicester will disappear over night either, can they keep most of their core and add a few more - maybe unheard of - players (like Amartey, who's going to be great for them) then why not?

PS Had the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge stayed fit, I am personally convinced we'd at a push only be sitting a few places higher in the table - no more. Too many things and too many players are not right at the moment, they wouldn't have changed that not even in a perfect, injury-free world. I don't believe that for a second.

A lot of good points there, Kristian - good post. I'm not convinced that the effect of Leicester winning the title would be as far-reaching or as long-lasting as you suggest, but let's hope it could turn out that way.

If anything I disagree with you more about our prospects for the season had we not had such an avalanche of injuries. You're right that we would still have had problems in some respects, but what you don't take into account is that practically every other team (Leicester being the exception) has had them too. The very fact that Leicester are up there shows what a crazy season it's been, and I maintain that with their kind of injury (or, more to the point, lack of injury) record we could have got a fair bit closer to the top four than we have. Even now we're 9th for Heaven's sake.

Luck will always be a major factor in the game, thankfully, and most teams winning big trophies need it to go all the way, I don't think many posters would argue otherwise. Even if you are Barcelona, you'll need it to swing it your way against Real and so on.

Having said that where Leicester are today and Spurs for that matter is not down to 'luck' - that's at least not how I see it. They may have been lucky in games and with certain decisions but you don't sit in the front seat of the PL in February purely on luck but you could perhaps argue that the team winning it in the end may have rode their luck a bit more than the team missing out. But it's not mainly down to luck that they are not sitting where we are and vice versa.

All this talk about luck, fluke etc. is quite frankly a lack of respect towards the Foxes achievement so far isn't it? And even more so when you look at how convincing they have looked most season.

@Judge Jules
The reason why I believe Leicester's run of form and aim at the crown is very good for the league in general mate, is down to the obvious fact that they underline that it's not all about money. We have talked a lot over the years how money has ruined the game and maybe, just maybe, this could somehow indicate that money has become less important - if you have them. And by that I mean, can you hold on to your players (which is obv also a very costly expense these days) then the gain from buying like mad men becomes less obvious compared to those 'building' teams from within, keeping squads intact.

It's been said over and over again but the combined cost of their team could only buy them one of Raheem or Sterling. It's crazy. Their team gel, they have a plan, they have got a lot of the right players in the right positions and a manager that make them perform well. They have managed to get a lot of their key players hitting form at the right time and stay clear of too many injuries. But they haven't spend big on any one player. It's not their large wallet that has taken them there.

This will inevitably mean that, at least on paper, that the next years PL seems bang open. It will give teams with lesser budgets than City, United and Chelsea a large boost of morale, knowing that it's possible to compete. That the league CAN be won on the training-ground, through clever tactics and the right, but not expensive, players. Personally I am not even sure Leicester will disappear over night either, can they keep most of their core and add a few more - maybe unheard of - players (like Amartey, who's going to be great for them) then why not?

PS Had the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge stayed fit, I am personally convinced we'd at a push only be sitting a few places higher in the table - no more. Too many things and too many players are not right at the moment, they wouldn't have changed that not even in a perfect, injury-free world. I don't believe that for a second.

OK, quick question, and this is for everyone...ready?

If it's not luck and a gigantic fluke aberration, what the *fuck* happened to Leicester last season?

Where was Mahrez and Vardy's output then? Was that all planned? Nearly get relegated, sack a manager, employ a laughable old duffer who has never won anything in 40 years, and finally THE MASTERPLAN will bear fruit! Vardy will score more than 5 goals! Mahrez will quadruple his assists! Kasper will concede half as many goals! Robert Huth will be a defensive colossus! Danny Drinkwater will be an England hopeful! Albrighton will be a wing wizard!

What amazing foresight and planning.

If it's not luck and a gigantic fluke aberration, what the *fuck* happened to Leicester last season?

Where was Mahrez and Vardy's output then? Was that all planned? Nearly get relegated, sack a manager, employ a laughable old duffer who has never won anything in 40 years, and finally THE MASTERPLAN will bear fruit! Vardy will score more than 5 goals! Mahrez will quadruple his assists! Kasper will concede half as many goals! Robert Huth will be a defensive colossus! Danny Drinkwater will be an England hopeful! Albrighton will be a wing wizard!

It's a very good question and I honestly also believe that Leicester's owner, manager and players are also quite surprised by it all. There is, as you say, an extremely gap between relegation fodder and title aspirants, especially during the course of a Season.

But, if I am going to give a feeble attempt at explaining what might have happened I'd start by highlighting the fact that Leicester is not only top of the Season they are also top if we rewind the table back to the start of 2015. Meaning that their form and their performances have actually been quite steady for more than a year now.

I reckon that under the old manager they got lot of things right in terms of personnel, and the team performed and did what they had to do, avoid relegation. Then they actually started to over-perform and became 'Springtime winners', they suddenly became the in-form team. This might have given someone inside the club hope for the new Season and they decided to keep the squad more or less intact, play the same players week in week out and get a new manager in with the 'right' ideas and perhaps a bit more charisma and authority. This is only a guess.

Ranieri has been praised for one thing in particular whenever I have read interviews from Leicester players, and that has been his faith in the players and the way they played before he came in - and especially this part makes sense - his lack of interfering. Ranieri has probably come in, very quietly, no self-portrait on the halls or anything, being all nice and gentleman like, and simply just taken control of the wheel without changing the direction and perhaps added a few fresh ideas but nothing major. And the players kept on performing like they have done for quite some time now - and have even improved as the Season has gone by. That is not by 'fluke'.

Even so, they have still been lucky in the terms of competitors imploding - like Chelsea, us and United - and teams performing under par like the slightly toothless City and to some extent also Arsenal. There is a lot of luck - and fluke involved - but it would've meant nothing had their club and their team not been in a position to gain from it all.

I believe, and maybe I am alone here, that no amount of luck in the world would've seen us be crowned Champions this Season, and by that token I incidentally also believe that Leicester have laid a far better foundation for success than us - even though none of us knew prior to the Season, despite them being the in-form team for quite some time.

PS Albrighton as you mention is on of the biggest surprise for me all Season in their team, he has been simply fantastic at times and I did NOT see that one coming. Ever.

Last edited:

Brendan there's a significant difference between the Leicester of 2014/15 and this season. The evolution started towards the end of last season and coincided with that great run they went on to avoid relegation. Firstly, Vardy was nearly always sub for the first part of the season and even when he did play he was played wide left to accommodate Nugent and Ulloa (or sometime Kramaric). Pearson obviously thought Vardy was the least potent of his strikers and only played him up front near the end of the season when Nugent got injured and Kramaric was out of form. This coincided with Mahrez becoming a regular starter as prior to that he was in-and-out of the team and usually hauled off early when he started.

On top of these two very good players finally being utilised correctly they then signed 2 excellent players this summer in Fuchs, Kante and 2 very good players in Okazaki and Huth.

Sometimes a team only needs one or two decent signings to radically change their fortunes and bring out the best in the other players. Kante has built a superb relationship with the consistent Drinkwater and Fuchs (who IMO has been the most underrated player in the EPL this season) has made Albrighton look half decent (which takes some doing).

Obviously there's luck involved too, particularly with their lack of injuries to their key players but they are a very good team with an excellent team spirit.

Obviously if this Leicester team played against a United team with Giggs, Scholes, Cantona etc; or an Arsenal team with Henry, Bergkamp, Viera; or Chelsea with Drogba, Essien, Robben they would be no where near winning the title but the standard in this league is very poor in comparison and Leicester have one of the best teams in it.

That said Albrighton, Morgan, Schmeichel and Simpson are mid-table players at best.

Yes, it's not luck anymore, it's time to start giving them the respect they have earned for this run - they've been the most consistent team in the league this season.
If they win those are the highest odds for an individual win ever. The highest for a horse was 250/1.

That lads bet can be cashed out now for £3.5 odd. If they win or draw on Saturday I reckon it's about a £5k cash out. I'd take the money!

Also they lost Cambiasso in the summer, who was the driving force, quality and leadership in the run from Xmas that kept them up. I thought his departure would mean they'd struggle.

Yeah they've had luck. But everyone does along the way. Let's face it, not many thought they'd check the score on Sat after 60 mins and see them 3 up.

In some ways the poor form and results of Chelsea and Man Utd could benefit Spurs more in the long term. They've blooded youngsters around their experienced players and look to heading towards top 4, maybe even the title. Things have aligned for them and so far they've taken advantage. Will be interesting to see how they get on against City because this is where Spurs usually bottle it.

I still fancy them to win it - if Kante, Vardy, Mahrez and Drinkwater remain fit. They have the easiest run-in and will be the least fatigued team.

Leicester (1st) : The players have now been sent on a week's rest since they don't have a game for 2 weeks. Their toughest remaining matches are Away at United, Southampton (H) and Chelsea (H). I can see 77-80 pts.

Arsenal (2nd) : 2 CL matches coming up and still in the FAC (should progress at home to Hull). They don't have many tough matches remaining but still all of those are away from home and there are 4 derby matches in there too ; Everton (A), United (A), City (A) and West Ham (A). I can see 74-77 pts.

Spurs (3rd) : 2 EL matches coming up and still in the FAC (should progress at home to Crystal Palace). They also have a lot of tough matches having, amongst others, still to play ; Arsenal (H), Chelsea (A), United (H), Stoke (A), Liverpool (A), West Ham (A), Southampton (H). I can see 72-75 pts.

City (4th) : The busiest of them all with 2 CL matches, LC final coming up and they are still in the FAC (away at Chelsea they may lose or possibly add another fixture to their list with a replay on the cards). Still have a few tough matches to test them; Arsenal (H), Stoke (H), Chelsea (A), United (H), Southampton (A), Liverpool (A). I think they'll drop the most points and I can only see 70-74 pts.

Yes I still think Leicester and Spurs are the two most likely.
Mate - did you see those matches Spurs still have to play ? Plus at least 2 EL matches (likely more) and at least 1 FAC (likely more). I think it will lake it's toll and don't think they'll get near Leicester or Arsenal.

Mate - did you see those matches Spurs still have to play ? Plus at least 2 EL matches (likely more) and at least 1 FAC (likely more). I think it will lake it's toll and don't think they'll get near Leicester or Arsenal.
They do have a tougher run-in but they probably also have the biggest squad to use from and certainly are the in-form team right now. They got very lucky with the pen but over the 90 minutes they were easily the better team.

So I am with @leftpeg here the title will be a toss up between Leicester and Spurs.

Leicester and Spurs.

That's just odd isn't it, and whom would've thought prior to the Season? When it couldn't be us I have to say I love this random and highly unexpected turn of events.

They do have a tougher run-in but they probably also have the biggest squad to use from and certainly are the in-form team right now. They got very lucky with the pen but over the 90 minutes they were easily the better team.
Really ? We must have been watching different matches. City vs Spurs : Shots 19 (4) - 6 (3 inc. penalty), Corners 7-1.

And Spurs have the biggest squad ? Just recently this forum seemed to be in agreement that they have little strength in depth and that they are only in the Top 4 because injuries have been kind to them.

Really ? We must have been watching different matches. City vs Spurs : Shots 19 (4) - 6 (3 inc. penalty), Corners 7-1.

And Spurs have the biggest squad ? Just recently this forum seemed to be in agreement that they have little strength in depth and that they are only in the Top 4 because injuries have been kind to them.
I must disagree with the forum then when it comes to Spurs and their strength of depth. They have lost Vertonghen a while back - a player that have been amazing most season and in many ways has been the Londoners answer to City's Kompany at the back.

They really haven't missed him much as Vimmer (I believe he's spelled) has just taken over effortlessly, which probably have a lot to do with their team plan and setup unless this bloke is another Dele Alli type of find.

They also recently lost their new attacking threat in N'jie and midfield dynamo Ryan Mason but others have stepped up and not only have they got quite some firepower in Kane, Son, Lamela, Alli, Chadli and Eriksen they've still also got a strong line-up to chose from in central with Carroll, Dier, Dembele and Bentaleb to pick from.

I honestly don't think that is a squad lacking strength in depth, actually rather the contrary - but we can agree they'd struggle without Kane and Eriksen, but name me a team without key-players performing that is competing for the Premiership.

They have played really well for most of the season and to say they are only in the top 4 because they have not had many injuries sounds like sour grapes to me.

The game last night
Spurs were in more or less control throughout apart from the dying 10-15 minutes. When they scored they stepped further back and handed City the initiative but to me Tottenham looked the better team despite what the shots on goal/corner stat says.

I must disagree with the forum then when it comes to Spurs and their strength of depth. They have lost Vertonghen a while back - a player that have been amazing most season and in many ways has been the Londoners answer to City's Kompany at the back.

They really haven't missed him much as Vimmer (I believe he's spelled) has just taken over effortlessly, which probably have a lot to do with their team plan and setup unless this bloke is another Dele Alli type of find.

They also recently lost their new attacking threat in N'jie and midfield dynamo Ryan Mason but others have stepped up and not only have they got quite some firepower in Kane, Son, Lamela, Alli, Chadli and Eriksen they've still also got a strong line-up to chose from in central with Carroll, Dier, Dembele and Bentaleb to pick from.

I honestly don't think that is a squad lacking strength in depth, actually rather the contrary - but we can agree they'd struggle without Kane and Eriksen, but name me a team without key-players performing that is competing for the Premiership.
I think I remember seeing Wimmer on his jersey yesterday ?

Anyway what you've named above are their first team players plus some pretty average backup players. And I don't think that saying Spurs have been ludicrously lucky with their injuries is unfair, or sour grapes, in the slightest. They are facts that can be interpreted how you wish .. most will say they have been lucky :D

Let's not forget that Spurs have a far harder remaining fixture list ... plus EL and FAC games (they'll likely get through the next round of both). In fact it seems from that table below that Leicester actually have the easiest run-in of any team in the league.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_15_at_19_20_55.png

I've since changed my mind seeing that Spurs are in contention for the title too and City with one too many hiccups at the moment. Would much rather enjoy a once in a lifetime Leicester title achievement rather than see it go to London.

Reactions: Y1

Didn't they turn it around those from Feb onwards?

I remember reading something at xmas that if the league ran from Jan-Dec they would be champions.

All the signs were there last season of a good season this year if they held onto their players.

The world has gone truly mad when you're dissapointed when West Brom equalise against Leicester.
I wish i could just pack up football and kick it out of my life.
Is there an exorcist of this type anyone know?

The world has gone truly mad when you're dissapointed when West Brom equalise against Leicester.
I wish i could just pack up football and kick it out of my life.
Is there an exorcist of this type anyone know?

Roy Hodgson did a pretty good job of expunging any love or interest I had in football for a few months, although it was largely replaced with helpless rage, so I'm not sure it was any better.

I'm now convinced that Leicester won't win the title. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've had a feeling that they would start dropping points against mid level and bottom sides.
Saw the Norwich game, they won but Norwich were better imo.
Now they dropped points against West Brom.

Nah, it won't last. Spurs look more likely to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom