• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=robinhood link=topic=46182.msg1388863#msg1388863 date=1314473098]
He had a decent game today, but decent isn't exceptional. He's somehow convinced everybody that if he isn't shit, he's worthy of lots of praise.

I'd drop him before Adam when Gerrard comes back, no question.
[/quote]

Decent? DECENT?!

You're on smack

Get off the smack

You're gonna die on that shit

Yeah sorry Robin, mate, but that's a terrible post.

I wouldn't say it was his best game for us, however. He's played better than that, and against better teams than Bolton. Man Utd and Chelsea come to mind.

Fair do's I think today was his best game for us and is in my top three.
I could caveat that by saying something like one swallow does not make a summer, but I won't ....oops ;)
regards

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=46182.msg1388867#msg1388867 date=1314473219]
[quote author=robinhood link=topic=46182.msg1388863#msg1388863 date=1314473098]
He had a decent game today, but decent isn't exceptional. He's somehow convinced everybody that if he isn't shit, he's worthy of lots of praise.

I'd drop him before Adam when Gerrard comes back, no question.
[/quote]

it's not going to happen, there is no way on this earth gerrard and adam have the defensive disipline to play without a holding midfielder. we'd get over run.
[/quote]

Tht's not true, Gerrard showed a few very disciplined performances at CM after Kenny arrived. Everybody was saying he was shit, but somehow Lucas pottering around and getting five or six interceptions makes him some sort of super being.

Lucas was decent today, but not exceptional.

Adam created one and scored one, and played some beautiful balls and he hardly gets any praise.

There's some weird, brainwashed, Lucas shite going on here. Sorry.

Probably one of the best performances I've seen from him. Read somewhere that he already has the most tackles in the league this season.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=46182.msg1388905#msg1388905 date=1314474786]
Probably one of the best performances I've seen from him. Read somewhere that he already has the most tackles in the league this season.
[/quote]

Fair play to the lad. He stuck at it when it wasnt going well for him and hes becoming/is a top player now. One of the first names on Kennys teamsheet I reckon.

[quote author=Halmeister link=topic=46182.msg1388849#msg1388849 date=1314472697]
[quote author=RolandG link=topic=46182.msg1388832#msg1388832 date=1314472261]
Lucas is continuing to confound all his critics and just keeps putting in performances. Onward and upward!
[/quote]

He rightfully had his critics in the past, I don't think he's confounding anybody now. Everybody can see what he brings to the team these days. If people still slate him (and I was one of his detractors) it's because they're too stubborn to revise their opinion.
[/quote]
I was one of Lucas' biggest critics because he was average. He is continuing to improve and is more composed on the ball. His tackling has improved and he is much stronger.

He still has his detractors who are too stubborn to recognise his improvement. My cousin is one of them but today he turned the corner by paying Lucas a compliment. I'm pretty sure he turned blue after that.

Lucas was almost impassable. Won most of the tackles. Stop plenty of Bolton's play. Completed most of his passes. Did not notice he did any heading. What more does anyone want. And I am no fan of his.

That was easily one of his best performances today but last week Nasri breezed past him like wasnt there and ran 50 yards unopposed to have a strike on goal, he can still be ropey as fuck sometimes, the difference is those games are getting fewer and the games where he snaps into tackles and keeps things ticking over are getting more frequent

Still not sure how we balance out the midfield when Mereiles and Gerrard are fit as they are our two best midfielders but neither really plays in an anchor role in the centre.

[quote author=RedStar link=topic=46182.msg1389104#msg1389104 date=1314517913]
That was easily one of his best performances today but last week Nasri breezed past him like wasnt there and ran 50 yards unopposed to have a strike on goal, he can still be ropey as fuck sometimes, the difference is those games are getting fewer and the games where he snaps into tackles and keeps things ticking over are getting more frequent

Still not sure how we balance out the midfield when Mereiles and Gerrard are fit as they are our two best midfielders but neither really plays in an anchor role in the centre.
[/quote]

nasri running past him was poor, take him out and take the card, he was no where near being last man.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=46182.msg1389107#msg1389107 date=1314518081]

[/quote]

nasri running past him was poor, take him out and take the card, he was no where near being last man.
[/quote]

As I said to you last time Neil - he tried.

Nasri is a nippy little fucker, and he totally wrong-footed him. Had he got closer, he would have taken him out, but by that point he was already gone.

To be honest, getting skinned by Nasri isn't something to be hugely shamed by, he's a good player, it happens

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=46182.msg1389109#msg1389109 date=1314518765]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=46182.msg1389107#msg1389107 date=1314518081]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nasri is a nippy little fucker, and he totally wrong-footed him. Had he got closer, he would have taken him out, but by that point he was already gone.

To be honest, getting skinned by Nasri isn't something to be hugely shamed by, he's a good player, it happens
[/quote]

25m player skins 6m not-originally-a-defensive-mid shocker

hes improving in leaps and bounds.

[quote author=singlerider link=topic=46182.msg1389109#msg1389109 date=1314518765]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed he is but Lucas sold himself too easily and the real problem was the position he did it in, he was too high up the pitch as the holding mid with acres of space for Nasri to run into behind him. Hes come on leaps and bounds but he can still be very basics mistakes

Fantastic performance from Lucas yesterday. He deserves the credit. In fact all our midfielders played well yesterday.

[quote author=RedStar link=topic=46182.msg1389121#msg1389121 date=1314520722]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed he is but Lucas sold himself too easily and the real problem was the position he did it in, he was too high up the pitch as the holding mid with acres of space for Nasri to run into behind him. Hes come on leaps and bounds but he can still be very basics mistakes
[/quote]

Well, now that's a fair enough point.

Had Mascher done the same, he probably (or at least possibly) would have had the pace to get back and get a second bite at him. Lucas was out of that race before it had begun

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agger was equally culpable, probably worse so because he was closer to him and had the time to make the challenge, Lucas just got turned when Nasri was on the break.

Every player makes mistakes and putting Lucas under the microscope is convenient because it serves peoples agenda. Lucas may not be the eye catching Brazilian with the skill and flair associated with his nationality but he gets about and does his job effectively. He has the winning mentality and attitude that every Liverpool player should have.

It is galling that that amidst all the positives both on and off field that there are members who still concentrate on the inconsequential. If you have legitimate gripes worth discussing then let's do that but for fuck sake give credit where its due. The evidence is there for all to see. Lucas is twice the player he was 2 seasons ago and is comfortably improving all the time in his performances, confidence and stature. If Gerrard can recognize that from close up, its hard to argue with our captain!

Get behind the lad and support him. He has earned his respect the hard way, through his performances. He was player of the season for a reason.

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=46182.msg1389151#msg1389151 date=1314523664]
Every player makes mistakes and putting Lucas under the microscope is convenient because it serves peoples agenda. Lucas may not be the eye catching Brazilian with the skill and flair associated with his nationality but he gets about and does his job effectively. He has the winning mentality and attitude that every Liverpool player should have.

It is galling that that amidst all the positives both on and off field that there are members who still concentrate on the inconsequential. If you have legitimate gripes worth discussing then let's do that but for fuck sake give credit where its due. The evidence is there for all to see. Lucas is twice the player he was 2 seasons ago and is comfortably improving all the time in his performances, confidence and stature. If Gerrard can recognize that from close up, its hard to argue with our captain!

Get behind the lad and support him. He has earned his respect the hard way, through his performances. He was player of the season for a reason.
[/quote]

Thus endeth the thread. Top post.

So even though he was superb yesterday it's the mistake he made a week ago against Arsenal that's the really important thing ? Hilarious

Lucas had a brilliant game as a DM. He was effective at breaking up play at crucial juncture and not doing something silly in possession. It is very endearing that he has showed tremendous attitude to improve every season he has been with us. But i read a comment above that he ran the midfield show and another that he is born winner or something like that...thats just silly, and it's the kind of hyperbole that gets people started on how he is getting unusually high praise for being better than ordinary.

Physically, he has come on a lot. He is no longer shoved aside easily. He is more confident in supporting the attack and makes himself available for a pass when the players ahead of him are under pressure. He still lacks that little burst of pace that someone like Maschernao or Makalele had to be a top class player in the DM role, and he gets shown up for it every once in a while. He also is not capable of control the tempo of the game when the opposition have an attacking spell, as we evidenced against Sunderland. There is nothing wrong in pointing that out. I don't see how he is exempted from all criticism.

I still see him as the first name to make way when Gerrard returns, but it's a good thing he has improved cuz we will need him to cover for Gerrard (Probably frequently).

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=46182.msg1389170#msg1389170 date=1314529165]
I still see him as the first name to make way when Gerrard returns, but it's a good thing he has improved cuz we will need him to cover for Gerrard (Probably frequently).
[/quote]

interesting, I see him as the last name to make way when gerrard returns.

Exempted from criticism ? You have got to be fucking kidding me. And he bossed the midfield yesterday

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=46182.msg1389173#msg1389173 date=1314529412]
Exempted from criticism ? You have got to be fucking kidding me.
[/quote]

So even though he was superb yesterday it's the mistake he made a week ago against Arsenal that's the really important thing ?

If someone is not allowed to bring up a mistake he made in the previous game (hey it's not my point...i didn't even see the Arsenal game), is it not being exempted from criticism?

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=46182.msg1389175#msg1389175 date=1314529688]

If someone is not allowed to bring up a mistake he made in the previous game (hey it's not my point...i didn't even see the Arsenal game), is it not being exempted from criticism?
[/quote]

Did I say people were not allowed to criticise him? No I didn't so stop talking shite. You said he was exempt from criticism - the reality is it's the complete opposite. He's targeted for criticism

the true test for lucas is putting in a dominant performance when we are under the cosh. that's what seperates the good holding midfielders (which lucas is) from the great holding midfielders.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=46182.msg1389178#msg1389178 date=1314530133]
[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=46182.msg1389175#msg1389175 date=1314529688]

[/quote]

Did I say people were not allowed to criticise him? No I didn't so stop talking shite. You said he was exempt from criticism - the reality is it's the complete opposite. He's targeted for criticism
[/quote]

Where? Please quote....i seem to have missed them.

Everybody has said he had a terrific game? Almost every sane person acknowledges the improvement he has made.

You are just making up a ghost argument, because people were audacious enough to bring up areas where he needs to improve? Such as his positioning for a DM, and consistency etc...

Are you saying he is the finished article, as it is.......if so i beg to differ.

You have been constantly playing the victim card where Lucas is concerned, even if it is to counter the excessive criticism he received in the past, it is just as annoying when people who are trying to make a rational judgement are attacked with it.

All I'm saying is that I find it strange that when the lad has a blinder of a game people feel the need to pick up on every little mistake he makes. I just wonder why other players don't receive the amount of detailed analytical criticism that Lucas does. It's an agenda that bores the fuck out of me. As such, I can't be arsed carrying on this conversation further.

Fuck me. Nobody said 'Wow, Lucas is the best holding midfielder ever, Didi was never that good!' did they?

If they did I fucking missed it.

What they said is that he played exceptionally well in yesterdays game. Against Bolton. Not against Arsenal the match before, or any other match you may care to think of, but that particular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom