• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mo Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
That link in Binny's vid to the 'Inside Anfield' 4 - 0 thumping of Arsenal was really ace as well. Loved watching that. :)

I did not expect him to be this good. Pace combined with some measure of footballing intelligence is such an asset in our league. Even Djibril Cisse scored 19 goals in 2005-2006 season which he started quite often on the right wing.

It is also an effective defensive tactic too. When we are under the pressure our midfielders can ping the ball into the other half towards the wings and Mane, Salah are off. It just puts the fear into the opposition in playing a high line.

Bit backhanded that Ibro, he's done as well as any new player I can remember. Mane has the benefit of a season under his belt. They're both gonna be a real handful for opponents.
I'm just not yet sold on him. He's missed some absolute sitters which irks me because against a United/Chelsea, you're not going to get as many chances.

I'm just not yet sold on him. He's missed some absolute sitters which irks me because against a United/Chelsea, you're not going to get as many chances.

Yeah, that was the story of last season for us against a few teams, I think we're spreading the goals quite well now though, but there is always that worry that in games where chances are few and far between, we might struggle to be clinical enough. Hopefully we've got enough now to make teams worried where the threat will come from, that we'll be a nightmare to cope with.

Yeah, that was the story of last season for us against a few teams, I think we're spreading the goals quite well now though, but there is always that worry that in games where chances are few and far between, we might struggle to be clinical enough. Hopefully we've got enough now to make teams worried where the threat will come from, that we'll be a nightmare to cope with.
What I like about the squad now (when everyone is fit) is we can sub Salah/Mane off and bring on a AOC/Coutinho/Can/Lallana/Sturridge, whereas last year the bench was full of kids.

The only issue is the (lack of) cover at centre back, which I fear will cost us.

Even great players miss sitters. Not all players get themselves in positions to get chances with such regularity. I think there is every chance he'll start to relax a bit more in front of goal too. He's come here with a bit to prove in this league, and desperate to justify himself in the prem. He makes us more dangerous just by being on the pitch and giving defences something to think about other than Mane's pace, but he'll get his share too. That assist for Studge was sumptuous too. He's not just a kick and run merchant, he's got plenty about him.

Was very worried when we bought him as I thought he would be too light weight and not up to the pace and physicality of the league after Italy but he was been very good so far.

Long long way to go but considering what we paid and the fact he has pace, skill and seems to get into the right areas to score it bodes well.

I'm happy with him thus far but cautiously optimistic

I think it was quite smart of the club / supporters to give him the player of the month ahead of Mane, who i believe deserved it ahead of Salah basis their performances. Will help him settle down and get over some of the nerves he will be feeling keeping in mind his previous stint with Chelsea PL

Was very worried when we bought him as I thought he would be too light weight and not up to the pace and physicality of the league after Italy but he was been very good so far.

Long long way to go but considering what we paid and the fact he has pace, skill and seems to get into the right areas to score it bodes well.

I'm happy with him thus far but cautiously optimistic

A cautiously optimistic dream believer?

Er, sure.

I think it was quite smart of the club / supporters to give him the player of the month ahead of Mane, who i believe deserved it ahead of Salah basis their performances. Will help him settle down and get over some of the nerves he will be feeling keeping in mind his previous stint with Chelsea PL
I think it was the Egyptians who voted like crazy. The support Salah has in Egypt is unreal. This is a country that thinks Mido is footballing royalty. Salah is basically a God. Egypt is mad for football. Pretty sure it won't be the last public vote he wins

I think it was the Egyptians who voted like crazy. The support Salah has in Egypt is unreal. This is a country that thinks Mido is footballing royalty. Salah is basically a God. Egypt is mad for football. Pretty sure it won't be the last public vote he wins
So Salah is going to be player of the month from now on. Haha. That will go down well.

I wonder what would happen to the player of the month competition if the Indian origin kid makes it to the 1st team.

Nothing...Indians aren't that mad about football...

Anyway he's English

Football is huge in certain states of India i.e. Bengal, Goa etc. The population of these two states combined should be close to 100m. Would be interesting to see if he opts to represent India when he gets to that stage.

When Solanke first came to my attention his name reminded me of that Worcs.and England cricketer Vikram Solanki and I wondered whether he was Indian in origin. I was actually quite disappointed he turned out not be. What a market to tap into.

Vikram Solanki was an opening batsmen if i recall correctly? Quite talented & stylish in his batting, but could never establish himself even though it was post Artherton when England were in need of a couple of good openers.

When Solanke first came to my attention his name reminded me of that Worcs.and England cricketer Vikram Solanki and I wondered whether he was Indian in origin. I was actually quite disappointed he turned out not be. What a market to tap into.

I think his Mum is English but of Indian descent. Or something.

Vikram Solanki was an opening batsmen if i recall correctly? Quite talented & stylish in his batting, but could never establish himself even though it was post Artherton when England were in need of a couple of good openers.

Yep, that's the one. Skippered Worcs.for a while but then moved to Surrey (I think it was) to see his career out.

Nothing...Indians aren't that mad about football...

Anyway he's English

You clearly haven't been to India. In general, people in India are passionate about football. You will be surprised at the premier league, CL, FA cup, Carling cup coverage in India. Tons of fans in most major urban areas in India follow the premier league. In states like Bengal, Goa, Kerala - the entire state is mad about football. Like proper mad. Take a train ride through Kerala at any point and you will see atleast 2 football matches going on.

For example, the East Bengal Mohun Bagan derby in Kolkata regularly gets more than 100000 people in attendance. I think the highest recorded was 130000. Tons of passion associated with such clubs with social implications. I think East Bengal fans are mainly descendants from Bangladeshi refugees and Mohun Bagan fans are traditional Kolkattans or something to that effect. For example, one of my colleagues here in the US is from Kolkatta and a big time East Bengal. He assured me that one of the certainties he has in his life is that there is zero chance of any of his kids, grand kids, great grandkids of supporting Mohun Bagan. When I M Vijayan (India's greatest ever footballer and darling of Kerala) quit Kerala police and moved to Mohun Bagan, he became the "Michael Owen" of Kerala.

I did not have cable TV in my house till 1996 and had only the national TV channel Doordarshan(DD). So I did not have access to PL. The only football I watched was Indian football and international football. I have fond memories of watching Federation cup knockout featuring the Kerala Police golden generation - Pappachan, Vijayan, Sathyan- battling Salgaocar, FC Dempo, JCT Mills, Mohun Bagan, East Bengal. The quality of football was obviously lower but the intensity and passion in the stands matched up with anyone. Currently I am in the US and do not have access to these tournaments. But if I end up going back to India, I will most likely cut down the time I spend on watching the premier league and follow Kerala Police FC attempting to reclaim there golden years.

Finally, India has a population of 1.3 billion. Even if only 10% of the population follow football, that is still a lot of fans.

And if India at any point starts producing players good enough to play in Europe, I will most likely become as unbiased as @Kay Age El in promoting them in LFC related transfer threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom