• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NHL Thread

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
It's late, and there aren't many of us fans on the site but hey, well done to Martin Bordeur ...

NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—With the final seconds ticking off the clock, Martin Brodeur saw the shot leave the stick of Chicago forward Troy Brouwer, kicked out his right pad and watched the puck head to the corner.

Within seconds, the buzzer sounded and Brodeur stood alone as the NHL’s winningest goaltender with 552 career victories. Childhood idol and Hall of Famer Patrick Roy was now behind him.

“It was an exciting night,†Brodeur said after making 30 saves in the Devils’ 3-2 win over the Blackhawks on Tuesday night. “I’m happy that it’s done and over with. It’s been chaotic, the last few days. It was an awesome night. It was a great reception from the fans.â€

The end was a fitting tribute for the 36-year-old Brodeur. He leapt into the air and pumped the right hand that held his stick in exclamation as a sellout crowd once again roared “Mart-tee, Mart-tee.â€

He was immediately surrounded by teammates in a celebration that seemed akin to winning the Stanley Cup.

Instead of hoisting the trophy, Brodeur took out a pair of scissors and cut the net.

“It’s definitely harder than I thought,†Brodeur quipped. “These basketball players, it’s only a little net. This was a big net. I had help from a couple of my teammates.â€

While other Devils finished the job of cutting down the net, Brodeur took a victory lap around the ice, high-fiving his coaches as he passed the bench.

The victory came in Brodeur’s 987th game of a 15-year career played entirely with the Devils.

During that tenure, the likable Brodeur has led the Devils to three Stanley Cup titles and won the Vezina Trophy four times as the league’s top goalie.

Now he holds the wins record, and another could soon fall. He is within four shutouts of passing Terry Sawchuk (103) for the NHL record, and he has a chance to push his win total well beyond 600.

“If this continues being fun, I’l stick around for a long time,†Brodeur said.

Love Marty B - A legend.

We actually share the same birthday. And I mean we really do... Same year and everything.

I love how the Bruins are playing this season, but I don't think they'll go very deep this summer - Very young and quite inexperienced.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Bruins will be out in the first round, depending on their opponents.

Brodeur's achievements are amazing, even with consideration of the team he plays for and the style they play.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg828916#msg828916 date=1237705367]
I hope the Stars get the 8 seed, I think we can beat the Wings ...
[/quote]
I hope so too ... and the Red Wings sweep them out - send Mr Hicks home early.

[quote author=Baldrick link=topic=32104.msg829852#msg829852 date=1237775645]
[/quote]
[/quote]

you want him to have more money or less? :)

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg829861#msg829861 date=1237786890]
[quote author=Baldrick link=topic=32104.msg829852#msg829852 date=1237775645]
[/quote]
[/quote]

you want him to have more money or less? :)
[/quote]
I want him out.

[/quote]

I hate to make an obvious prediction but Wings will make at least the conference finals again. Dallas would stand no chance. Turco has played poorly against Detroit throughout his career. Wings are looking a bit soft lately but the goaltending will sort out before the playoffs. Osgood is too mentally strong to let his occasional error-strewn games derail that team. Too much strength in depth.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg828826#msg828826 date=1237673860]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32104.msg851188#msg851188 date=1240452925]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg828826#msg828826 date=1237673860]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?
[/quote]

I was dead on right about Osgood though. I saw a lot of pundits pick Columbus as the big upset of the first round. Oops.

I'll get back about next picks tomorrow probably. I thought Boston, at the time I made that prediction, was ripe for the picking seeing as they were in a slide at the time and I was expecting them to play a streaking team playing their way into the playoffs (like Carolina or the Rangers). They turned it around though and played marvellously. Having an absolutely dismal Montreal as an opponent didn't hurt either.

interesting piece in espn.com comparing Montreal (&Roy) vs Nordiques ('92) to Rangers (&Lundquist) vs Capitals ('09) ... Rangers outshot 199-49 in 4 games and are up 3-1 ... craaaazy

big upset in the west in the 1st round ...

anaheim (8) beats san jose (1, president trophy winners) in 6 games ...

NEWARK, N.J. -- The Carolina Hurricanes stole their first-round series from the New Jersey Devils with one of the greatest last-minute comebacks in NHL history.

Jussi Jokinen and Eric Staal scored in a 48-second span late in the third period as the Hurricanes stunned the Devils 4-3 in Game 7 of their Eastern Conference series.

"This is as sweet as it comes," said goaltender Cam Ward, who kept the Hurricanes in the game in the final 25 minutes with at least a half-dozen outstanding saves with his team trailing 3-2. "What a finish. It's hard to believe right now just because we were down 3-2 with only 2 minutes to go. How quickly things can change. That's why you never give up and play until the final buzzer."

It was the second shocking loss for the Devils in the series. They lost Game 4 on a goal by Jokinen with 0.2 seconds to play.

This time they gave away the series in the final 1:20.

Ducks n' Wings are knotted up at 1-1.

"The Series" (Pengs vs Caps) is 2-0 in favor of the Caps, who took a hattrick from Mr. MVP to win 4-3.

Ovechkin is amazing. Absolutely love his ability and passion.

Forgot to make my predictions before the series started, but for what it's worth I'm picking Washington, Detroit, Boston, and Chicago.

Really torn about who to cheer in the Chicago/Vancouver series. Vancouver's minor league affiliate is my hometown team (Manitoba Moose) and so there's a certain level of attachment to players such as Burrows who I have watch develop for a while and Vigneault is the former coach of the Moose. On the other hand, Jonathon Toews grew up just a few minutes away from my house and Cam Barker is also a Winnipegger. Cheering Chicago out of Toews admiration.

(On a similar note, I had a really great summer hockey team a few years back. My goaltender is the Flyers third-string, my centreman is in the Carolina farm system last I heard. Oh, and I was faced with the task of defending against Nigel Dawes, now with the Coyotes.)

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg851233#msg851233 date=1240473043]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?
[/quote]

I thought Boston, at the time I made that prediction, was ripe for the picking seeing as they were in a slide at the time and I was expecting them to play a streaking team playing their way into the playoffs (like Carolina or the Rangers).
[/quote]

Yup. Guess you'd like to know what stocks I'm interested in? *vindicated*

Woot for Chicago! Hopefully Washington can pull it out 'cause I want to see Crosby cry.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg865131#msg865131 date=1242146444]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg851233#msg851233 date=1240473043]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?
[/quote]

I thought Boston, at the time I made that prediction, was ripe for the picking seeing as they were in a slide at the time and I was expecting them to play a streaking team playing their way into the playoffs (like Carolina or the Rangers).
[/quote]

Woot for Chicago! Hopefully Washington can pull it out 'cause I want to see Crosby cry.
[/quote]

Oh, come on mate...

Basically, unless the Bruins win the Cup, you're vindicated, is that it?

Oh, and it's not over yet, unless they made the series the best of 5 whilst I slept last night. You never know... I have a feeling that there's some pissed off Bruins raring to go tonight, angry that Mr. Sucker-punch didn't get suspended for that chickshit move.

We'll see.

Boston has tied series with Carolina, 3-3

Anaheim is leading Detroit in Game 6 2-1 with 2 minutes to go ...

EDIT: Anaheim has won 2-1 ... Series also knotted at 3

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32104.msg865143#msg865143 date=1242147376]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg865131#msg865131 date=1242146444]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, come on mate...

Oh, and it's not over yet, unless they made the series the best of 5 whilst I slept last night. You never know... I have a feeling that there's some pissed off Bruins raring to go tonight, angry that Mr. Sucker-punch didn't get suspended for that chickshit move.

We'll see.
[/quote]

I was looking pretty vindicated because I said a month ago that Carolina would take them down. Yet to be completed but still very possible.

I only actually care about the Caps and Hawks right now. Nothing against the Bruins, I just saw them falling early. Might not happen?

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg865488#msg865488 date=1242197510]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32104.msg865143#msg865143 date=1242147376]

[/quote]

Errrrr... Ok.

Any investment advice?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, come on mate...

We'll see.
[/quote]

I was looking pretty vindicated because I said a month ago that Carolina would take them down. Yet to be completed but still very possible.

I only actually care about the Caps and Hawks right now. Nothing against the Bruins, I just saw them falling early. Might not happen?
[/quote]

Oh, they're still very capable of losing game 7. I doubt them, because they're so new to the playoffs (or at least going deep into them...). And if Washington comes out of the other matchup, I think they'll reach the Finals, regardless of who wins our game 7.

But when did you forcast Carolina beating Boston? I remember you claiming Boston would go out in the first round, but didn't say who exactly would beat them.

The post where I responded to your stock market quip, which I quoted (and highlighted Carolina) in my recent post. I thought Boston would go down in the first round if they played Carolina or New York. They were fortunate to get Montreal but were also impressively dominant in their own in that series as well. (And, to contradict myself, after seeing Boston in such fine form in the first round, I predicted they'd beat Carolina in the second round. Meh, whatever. :) )

I'm hoping desperately for a Washington - Chicago final. So very hoping. Anything else that happens in other series is just window dressing.

You're a funny bugger, mate.

You forecast Boston going out in the first round, and when they don't, you say "well, they didn't play somebody who could beat them, did they?"

Then you claim vindication in a series that's still not over yet, based on an amended version of the originally (woefully incorrect) prediction.

I like you. :)

I was pretty drunk when I posted that vindication post. Thought Carolina had eliminated them already. Oops.

I'm normally a fair bit more on the ball, esp. re: hockey but brain cramped pretty badly.

Pens, with Crosby's 11th and 12th goals of the postseason, hammer Washington 6-2 ... I hope they win the Cup, they won't but hey.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Memo to the Bruins forwards: In overtime, when you're in on a 3 on 2, SHOOT THE FUCKING PUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom