• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NHL Thread

Amazing night of hockey! My heart goes out to the Bruins and Ducks cause they went out in heartbreakers. Congrats to Detroit and Carolina though, they earned it!

Great game from Detroit today. So much experience and discipline.

Picks: Detroit and Carolina. (I'm hoping for Chicago - Pittsburgh though, with Crosby crying after losing game 7.)

Well, Detroit's experience and composure is, unsurprisingly showing through. Hope Chicago can make a good series of it but I think the Wings just have a bit too much for them.

so a repeat of last year's finals?

I hope Crosby and Co. stifle 'em if they get there - it's better for hockey that Pitt wins.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg871076#msg871076 date=1242811081]
so a repeat of last year's finals?

I hope Crosby and Co. stifle 'em if they get there - it's better for hockey that Pitt wins.
[/quote]

It's better for my satisfaction if they don't.

Truthfully I'm still pulling for Chicago but they're not in an enviable position at all right now.

Major update needed here.

Red Wings just beat the Penguins 3-1 to lead 2-0 in the Stanley Cup.

Fucking hell, I didn't know Lidstrom was 39.

For all the (deserved) hype over Crosby and Ovechkin, Lidstrom is the best player in the NHL right now.

Detroit has too much for the Pens and while I hope Sid and Co. can make a series of it (simply for entertainment sake), I don't see anyway that the Cup doesn't go back to Hockeytown.

On a side note, the girl I'm dating now is a big Pens fan and loves Crosby and I've been loving rubbing her face in it. Told her I need to get a new Wings Stanley Cup banner 'cause mine will be missing another victory soon... heh.

Also, talk is that the NHL will be instituting an annual award for the best general manager in the league. It's a shame they didn't do this years ago because Ken Holland would have his name on it a few times. Don't care if Detroit has always had a healthy budget, money is no guarantee of success (cf. Toronto, New York). The signings and especially draft quality in that franchise is simply too good to be believed.

Pens & Wings are tied at 2-2 after Crosby/Malkin lead Pens to 4-2 win in game 4.

COME ON PENS!!!!!!!

Well, we've got a series. (And I've got a girl rubbing my face in it... God I don't know if I can handle Sidney getting the Cup. She'll be insufferable.)

"theonion" said:
Detroit and Pittsburgh Both Trying to Lose

DETROIT/PITTSBURGH—As the Stanley Cup Finals continue, Penguins and Red Wings fans alike are urging their teams to spare their beleaguered cities the expense of a championship victory.

"We are extremely proud of our Red Wings, and we know they could certainly come through for us, but we beg them: Please don't make us throw an expensive and wasteful championship parade," said Detroit mayor and former NBA great Dave Bing, who wore a Penguins jersey as he spoke to reporters Wednesday of how he had done his civic duty in the turbulent 1960s and '70s by not winning an NBA championship with the Pistons. "The Western Conference championship is all our city can afford at this time."

Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl also spoke on Wednesday, telling the media that his city was "devastated" Tuesday when the Penguins won Game 3 of the finals after a financially promising 0-2 start.

"The Steelers' championship parade cost us roughly $6.5 million in street closures, float rental, security expenditures, and sanitation overtime—not to mention the incalculable loss of man-hours for our struggling local businesses," Ravenstahl said. "Pittsburgh can't afford to forget how the four Super Bowl parades we had in the 1970s were followed by mill closures, layoffs, and a decade-long recession. Let's go Wings!"

The first two games, both played in Detroit's aging, dilapidated Joe Louis Arena, went poorly for the home team as the Wings were unable to keep themselves from scoring. After the stalemate of the opening faceoff, which saw both teams remaining absolutely motionless for several minutes and refusing to touch the dropped puck until referees threatened to declare a double-forfeit, the players struggled valiantly to score on themselves and defend the opposing net in a contest that ended in triumph for the Penguins, who lost 1-3.

Game 2 was a virtual repeat, with the added ignominy of former hometown favorite and Michigan native Justin Abdelkader scoring the second of his first two NHL goals, putting the game away for the Red Wings and inching Detroit closer to Stanley Cup victory and economic collapse.

"I did everything I could, but Sidney Crosby just refuses to not lay down and die," said Detroit netminder Chris Osgood, who allowed only one goal in each of the first two games and took personal responsibility for the victories. "I tried scooping the puck in, I tried gloving it past myself, I used the stick, but it kept going off the post. The fans gave me hell, and they're right—I'll never forgive myself if we win the Cup and they have to close a bunch of schools."

Game 3 is being called a possible turning point, a dominant performance by the Penguins that has left a once-hopeful Pittsburgh staring at the dreaded prospect of not only a monstrously expensive come-from-behind victory in the series, but also the cost of hosting yet more games if the Cup Finals drag on.

Analysts were quick to dissect the sudden change in momentum. "They did everything they could, really—no real forechecking, Fleury went down on his back a lot, and they dressed defenseman Hall Gill. Hal Gill sucks. At one point they even tried to draw a penalty by putting six guys on the ice for 20 seconds, but the refs were letting them play, and the Wings just underwhelmed them," said Bloomberg financial analyst Hamilton Kublin. "Pittsburgh has to do a better job of neutralizing Crosby, Malkin, and Gonchar, or they'll win the championship and the city won't be able to keep the lights on."

"A Red Wings victory would be a big boost to civic pride, but the resulting celebrations would be a fatal blow to the city budget," Detroit City Council president Ken Cockerel, Jr. said. "I intend to ask Washington for a bailout in which they send Alexander Ovechkin to Pittsburgh for the length of the series. Whatever happens, I know Detroit will be rooting for the Penguins from here on out."

Mayors Bing and Ravenstahl have met publicly to discuss the series and wish each other luck, though neither seems willing to budge on the terms of the traditional mayor's bet they agreed to before Game 1, which states that the winning city will grant the losing city 5,000 full-time jobs in the manufacturing and technology sectors

;D

YEE! So it's going down to the wire!

I'm a little upset because the Manitoba Moose, my local team and farm club of the Canucks are in their pivotal game 6 of the Calder Cup on Friday at the same time as Game 7 between Detroit and Pittsburgh. Don't know if I should go cheer the Moose on in person or if I should be watching the Stanley Cup get decided on television.

Slightly off topic, but how long do people think the Pens can keep both Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh?

I always felt Crosby may move to New York or Montreal at some point, though I guess living with Mario Lemieux will be a big influence.

Malkin I don't know....

I may be worrying over nothing (hopefully).

They'll be able to keep them as long as the salary cap doesn't shrink too drastically and as long as the team is successful. So about another three years. If the team remains successful for that amount of time, too many of the secondary players will have earned big contracts that will exceed Pittsburgh's cap space. One of the superstars will go (probably Malkin) and the team will be in the hunt for the lottery draft to choose first overall.

Cf. Tampa Bay post-2004.

Congrats to the Pens. They came out with a lot of jump today and I've never seen Detroit play such a poor game. Fleury was astounding in the nets.

My girl didn't rub it in too bad about the Pens winning but she was well made up about it.

the new era begins in Pittsburgh ... move over Mario and Jagr, time for Malkin & Crosby.

Congrats to the Pens ...

On another note, if what Draper alleges about Crosby and not shaking hands - it's pathetic.

What's he said? The Red Wings fans were booing because the Pens were taking too long celebrating... seems like sour grapes to me.

I liked it when Malkin cut short his interview to cheer when Mario got hold of the cup!

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg887549#msg887549 date=1244924170]
that crosby didn't shake lidstrom's hand ... which is the 'tradition' when ending any playoff series.
[/quote]

If true, that is certainly poor form. On the other hand, it does sound like Crosby wasn't intentionally trying to snub Lidstrom but was negligent in getting in line in time.

I notice you didn't mention Hull. Intentional snub?

Tampa's new owners are feuding with each other now. God that franchise is going through a rough spell again. Grrr......

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg893896#msg893896 date=1245829732]
I notice you didn't mention Hull. Intentional snub?

Tampa's new owners are feuding with each other now. God that franchise is going through a rough spell again. Grrr......
[/quote]

I forgot him ... what a player, though I just learned yesterday he betrayed Canada (his country of birth) to play for the US and A!

I was debating with a mate who the best American player is of all of time - and I said Modano, and he said Hull.

Back
Top Bottom