• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NHL Thread

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg893901#msg893901 date=1245830493]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg893896#msg893896 date=1245829732]
I notice you didn't mention Hull. Intentional snub?

Tampa's new owners are feuding with each other now. God that franchise is going through a rough spell again. Grrr......
[/quote]

I forgot him ... what a player, though I just learned yesterday he betrayed Canada (his country of birth) to play for the US and A!

I was debating with a mate who the best American player is of all of time - and I said Modano, and he said Hull.
[/quote]

Hull's father, Bobby (Hall of Famer in his own right), used to own a farm a few miles away from the farm my mom grew up on.

Hull himself was snubbed by the Canadian world junior championship team as a teenager so he elected to play for the USA, whom he was eligible for as a result of his dual citizenship (though he was born in Belleville, ON, I believe his dad was still playing for Chicago at the time).

As for best American players, you could also argue for Leetch, Housley and maybe Mullen. I'd probably pick Hull.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=32104.msg950129#msg950129 date=1253826507]
Gretzky's out with Phoenix
[/quote]

About time.

Edmonton is playing Tampa in an exhibition game here in Winnipeg tonight but I was stuck working while all my friends are hammered drunk at the game.

They hired Tippet, who I really really liked as the Dallas head coach. Big mistake to let him go. I wonder how Crawford will do - I'm not sold on him as a coach ...

BIG TRADE:

The New Jersey Devils have won the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes, acquiring the superstar winger from the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday night.

The Devils have struggled of late, especially scoring goals. Veteran Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn't hesitate, swooping in and acquiring the biggest rental player available on this year's trade market.

In exchange, the Thrashers get rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, defenseman Johnny Oduya, prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round pick in this year's draft.

Don't think the Stars will make the playoffs this year but there's a lot of really good talent there

He turned down 12 years, $100m to stay in Atlanta. He REALLY wanted out, huh?

My boys have now lost NINE in a row... WTF???

I would be VERY surprised to see him re-sign in Jersey in the summer. Keep in mind he's unrestricted come July 1. Although I think he'll likely go elsewhere, don't be surprised if you see him sign back with the Thrashers.

In fact, none of the teams who were in the Ilya sweepstakes seemed likely to re-sign him except for Los Angeles (due to cap space and need for a marquee player). Although they weren't mentioned this year, I was almost expecting Detroit to sign him as a dark horse candidate. I thought they were going to last year but didn't.

On paper, the Thrashers got hosed in this deal but considering Kovalchuk could leave for nothing after the season I think Waddell did alright. Oduya is a very underrated defender and Cormier will be a solid top-nine forward. The swap of draft picks isn't bad either. Lamoriello did alright by getting rid of Cormier and the huge controversy hanging over his head currently, while shocking everyone and landing an offense-first goal-scorer without giving up cornerstones like Zajac (from my hometown) or Parise. Once Brodeur and a couple other vets are past it, Jersey will be in a serious rebuild so this year may be their last real shot at the Cup for a while.

Whadd: What luck you must have to support TWO teams owned by Hicks!?! Don't step under any ladders or anything...

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg1049792#msg1049792 date=1265441750]
I would be VERY surprised to see him re-sign in Jersey in the summer. Keep in mind he's unrestricted come July 1. Although I think he'll likely go elsewhere, don't be surprised if you see him sign back with the Thrashers.

In fact, none of the teams who were in the Ilya sweepstakes seemed likely to re-sign him except for Los Angeles (due to cap space and need for a marquee player). Although they weren't mentioned this year, I was almost expecting Detroit to sign him as a dark horse candidate. I thought they were going to last year but didn't.

On paper, the Thrashers got hosed in this deal but considering Kovalchuk could leave for nothing after the season I think Waddell did alright. Oduya is a very underrated defender and Cormier will be a solid top-nine forward. The swap of draft picks isn't bad either. Lamoriello did alright by getting rid of Cormier and the huge controversy hanging over his head currently, while shocking everyone and landing an offense-first goal-scorer without giving up cornerstones like Zajac (from my hometown) or Parise. Once Brodeur and a couple other vets are past it, Jersey will be in a serious rebuild so this year may be their last real shot at the Cup for a while.

Whadd: What luck you must have to support TWO teams owned by Hicks!?! Don't step under any ladders or anything...
[/quote]

You're mixing me up with LeTallec Wiz, amigo... And he actually supports THREE teams owned by Hicks, poor bastard. Having spent the first six or seven years of my American adventure in Boston, I support all things Beantown, in all sports. And the Oakland Raiders (but the less said about those twats, the better).

Irony is, that Hicks spent the late 90's and early 00's pouring good money after bad into both his teams, making the Stars champions and the Rangers contenders - I had high hopes for more of the same when he arrived at Anfield.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32104.msg1050397#msg1050397 date=1265482976]
[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=32104.msg1049792#msg1049792 date=1265441750]

[/quote]

You're mixing me up with LeTallec Wiz, amigo... And he actually supports THREE teams owned by Hicks, poor bastard. Having spent the first six or seven years of my American adventure in Boston, I support all things Beantown, in all sports. And the Oakland Raiders (but the less said about those twats, the better).

Irony is, that Hicks spent the late 90's and early 00's pouring good money after bad into both his teams, making the Stars champions and the Rangers contenders - I had high hopes for more of the same when he arrived at Anfield.
[/quote]

Oops, you're right, sorry. If I was Wizzy, Id probably just start over again when it comes to sports. ;D

Hicks did a great job with the Stars in the beginning.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=32104.msg1095502#msg1095502 date=1272533716]
Poor old ovechkin... Forever in Sidney and Evgeni's shadow :)
[/quote]

I'd been meaning to bump this thread but was too lazy.

I hate to have to admit that Crosby is the best player in the world currently. Him scoring the Olympic-winning goal nearly ruined the tournament for me despite me being Canadian. And I hate the fact that I love almost everything about his play and I can no longer call him an overrated douchebag. Just a douchebag. He is Canadian hockey's version of Wayne Rooney. Except Canada wins tournaments.

Since Tampa was in a race to the bottom this season, I'm torn on who to cheer for. Chicago has a couple of my hometown boys on it, Vancouver is the parent club to Winnipeg's minor league team, Detroit is a former fave, and I'll be in Montreal in a few days. Plus the Flyers have a couple players from around here. I'll settle for some good hockey and hope to god Pittsburgh doesn't win. Check that: hope to god Crosby doesn't win. If he gets knocked out with broken arms so he can't lift the Cup, Pittsburgh is okay with me. :p

Please do not infuriate me anymore. The Crosby bandwagon is well is high gear, being a Liverpool supporter is hard enough. El Zhar is the nail in the coffin.

I tried getting tickets to Pittsburgh-Montreal Game 4 this morning but my internet connection died briefly and I lost my place in queue. I can get single tickets right against the glass but my buddies want to sit together. So, to the sports leisure industry we go.... *sigh* I don't care if I sit with them. Infuriated right now at my internet company. Someone is getting a strip torn off them. Especially since I woke up very early to get these tickets.

I know that. I think I still have all my old Mario and Jagr posters somewhere at my parents' house. I wish I didn't hate Crosby. He's undoubtedly been the best player in the world the last year, is a complete player, a leader, a playmaker, now a goalscorer, not afraid of physical play. And yet I detest him and want to hurt him everytime I see him interviewed. And hate that my jaw is on the tongue of my sneakers every second shift he's out there. Penguins were my team as a child due to Mario but I can't cheer for them anymore even though I want to. I need help.

Stick to Evgeni then :)

I love Sidney... when Malkin didn't come over the first year and then the Pens fluked Sid in the draft, all the years of shite were worth it.

"All the years"? They weren't bad THAT long, mate. You're talking to a Lightning fan! I endured three straight 50-plus loss seasons. And then saw my team dismantled due to salary cap concerns. And have watched my marquee player go from underachiever to superstar to underachiever again.

Anyways, I'm doing the happy Halak dance today!

Fair point, and as a Detroit Lions fan also I guess the Pens haven't done too bad ;)

Today was ridiculous. The 2nd period was as if the Pens were on a 20 minute powerplay, yet got beat :(

Forgot you were a Lions fan. I'll concede the point! ::)

Still trying to get tickets for Game 4. Might know more tonight with any luck.

Game 7!!! Go Habs!

I really wanted to cancel my flight home and find tickets for tonight's game. Apparently the crowd was even more fired up.

I'm VERY worried that Boston becomes involved in BOTH times in professional sports that a team pisses away a 3-0 postseason lead...

*spinning on ground in joy like Homer Simpson* Woop woop woop woop! Woop wooop wooop wooop!

I'm already scheming about a return trip to Montreal if they make the Finals. I jumped on the right bandwagon!

(And hopefully next year Tampa will make the playoffs.)

Amazing game from the Habs tonight and Philly was impressive too. I like the Flyers but seeing a Boston-Montreal conference final would be delicious.

i would have liked to see the penguins move on but hey, the canadiens are a great story ... well done to them

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=32104.msg1104270#msg1104270 date=1273719475]
I'm VERY worried that Boston becomes involved in BOTH times in professional sports that a team pisses away a 3-0 postseason lead...
[/quote]

Philly's victory surely the greatest comeback in modern sports history. Down 3-0 in the series and down 3-0 in the deciding game. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom