• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nuri Şahin, Part III (Agreed, pending medical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if that's a definite, but i read it in quite a few places about a £5m loan fee as well as 80k a week wages. But then again we have to realistic. We're a 8th place team, and the only way we can compete with arsenal is to offer more money.

Liverpool Guzump Arsenal For Nuri Şahin Loan

Translation
c4551345789837146-148AFE9C000005DC-918533_636x368-500x368.jpg
Liverpool are on the verge of signing Nuri Şahin on-loan from Real Madrid after fending off interest from Arsenal. Nuri Şahin looks set for a move to Anfield (Picture: Action Images) The news has come as a notable disappointment to the Gunners, who had been confident of securing a season-long loan deal for Şahin earlier this week, only to be beaten at the last minute. Arsenal had agreed terms on a transfer with both Madrid and Şahin over the weekend, and manager Arsene Wenger had even spoken to the player on the phone to reassure him his development was in safe hands. But with just the formalities to complete, Liverpool stepped in on Wednesday evening and offered a significantly better deal, which Arsenal refused to match. It is understood that the Gunners had agreed to hand over a £2 million loan fee, plus pay most of Şahin’s wages, only for Liverpool to trump that by promising a £5 million fee and to cover all salary and relocation costs. Liverpool have also promised Şahin regular playing time, and working under Jose Mourinho’s close friend Brendan Rodgers has been a pull, as the 23-year-old still harbours ambitions of making the Madrid first-team next season. The Reds are now expecting Şahin on Merseyside in the next 24 hours, with Rodgers confirming a deal is close following Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Hearts in the Europa League last night. ‘Hopefully in the next 24 hours we will get some confirmation on that. It’s quite far along,’ Rodgers told reporters. Liverpool are not expected to have an automatic option to buy Şahin next summer, but will get the first refusal if he is put up for sale. Arsenal meanwhile, will turn to other midfield options after refusing to match Liverpool’s bid, believing it not to be value for money. Check out our latest daily transfer gossip live blog

I'm not against offering more. It has worked for City, Chelsea. I know it's a pride thing; that we want players to join out of lust for the club and respect for our size, but the likes of Madrid and Barca pay big fees to get players.

The problem is spending a little too much to get the right players, that's good business, it's spending a lot to much on the wrong players. Mentioning no names. Stewart Downing.

5M loan fee ? your winding us up right ? if thats true then there must be something in that contract we dont know about , because that would have added to a significant amount in the purchase of a striker which is more essential for us.

A 5m fee for one year, is like a 20m fee for four years. Sounds about right. Although I was hoping it wouldn't be that much. Hope he's worth it.

The thing is though thats over 8m for a player thats gone in May, that's a lot of money. I just hope he's proven to be worth it. For that money he will only be worth it if we make top 4.

Glen - what's your source there? We better have some option in there ...
Its here mate http://bbc-worldnews.net/2012/08/liverpool-guzump-arsenal-for-nuri-Şahin-loan/#.UDdE4daPUdo

According to the echo there is no option to buy clause in there.

He's not necessarily gone in May. We might have a first option, we might have an agreed price, but even if we have neither of those things, it doesn't mean we can't buy him. Mascherano was the same. Adebayor was the same. There's lots of others.

Even if there is no option to buy in the contract, should he come on the market next season, we would have to be first in the line to buy anyway(assuming he has a good season and he enjoys his time here).

All kinds of things can happen during a season-long loan. The loaning club can insist on all kinds of things, but it can't control what a player thinks and feels, and, who knows, Şahin might fall in love with LFC and what Rodgers is doing here. And if he doesn't, he'll still do a great job for a few months and will be a fine role model for those who are here for the long term.

Just get the lad in first. If we've offered that fee we can afford it as for what happens next year we should worry about that next year

A 5m fee for one year, is like a 20m fee for four years. Sounds about right. Although I was hoping it wouldn't be that much. Hope he's worth it.

Only if we were to give him away for nothing after 4 years. More likely we'd get all that money back for a 27 year old.

Only if we were to give him away for nothing after 4 years. More likely we'd get all that money back for a 27 year old.

Well, if we had him on a 4 year contract, then we would be giving him away for nothing after four years.

If we have him now on a 1 year contract for 5m, we could potentially sell him on in six months for 2m or so. Although I'm not sure if the rules allow that.

£5m loan fee? Fuck me that's steep!! That smacks of the sort of deal we were doing at the end of the H&G era: expensive short-term fixes because we weren't able to invest good money in wiser, long-term, options.

He'll need to make a hell of a contribution to justify that kind of expense, if indeed that figure's right.

Read the article, that covers the wages, so instead of us paying his wages we're giving them £5m upfront, the equivalent of 70% of his wage.

Well, if we had him on a 4 year contract, then we would be giving him away for nothing after four years.

If we have him now on a 1 year contract for 5m, we could potentially sell him on in six months for 2m or so. Although I'm not sure if the rules allow that.

Yes, but that's not how things actually work and you know it. It's very rare nowadays for clubs to allow contracts of valuable players to run right to the end - the worst that usually happens is to sell out of desperation with a year to go. In reality alarm bells ring well before that point if the player shows no inclination to renew their deal.

The point is that £5m for one year is a fucking hefty chunk of cash. It's almost certainly more than Eden Hazard, say, will end up costing Chelsea a year.

No its not, its a £5m loan fee and then 80k a week wages on top.

It is understood that the Gunners had agreed to hand over a £2 million loan fee, plus pay most of Şahin’s wages, only for Liverpool to trump that by promising a £5 million fee and to cover all salary and relocation costs

It is understood that the Gunners had agreed to hand over a £2 million loan fee, plus pay most of Şahin’s wages, only for Liverpool to trump that by promising a £5 million fee and to cover all salary and relocation costs

I can't imagine we'll be paying all 120K of his salary on top of a 5 million loan fee. This article is probably wrong. There have been a lot of contradicting reports today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom