• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nuri Şahin, Part III (Agreed, pending medical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘When we knew of his availability, our task was to wrestle away the momentum of him joining Arsenal,’ added Rodgers.

‘As you can imagine that’s very difficult because Arsenal are a wonderful club and play a style of football suited to his qualities. But we’ve been able to persuade him to come here. He’s a very clever guy, he’s done a lot of homework on myself as a manager and the club itself.

‘I promise players three things. The first is my communication. I won’t bluff players, I’ll be totally honest and open with them.

‘The second is that they’ll become better, that the quality of work will improve them as players. And thirdly I promise ambition. I want to be the very very best I possibly can. I grew from nothing into something through sheer ambition and work and determination.’

Yeah, that's Germans for you. In fact, that's much of Europe for you. We're a bit shit at languages on the whole, aren't we.

Yeah, that's Germans for you. In fact, that's much of Europe for you. We're a bit shit at languages on the whole, aren't we.
We expect everyone to speak English...

Given its the business language... Tis lazy of us though..

Wenger has explained his reasons behind making a last-minute U-turn on the move to sign Nuri Şahin.

Real Madrid’s Turkey midfielder looked certain to join Arsenal on a season-long loan before Wenger decided against signing the 23-year-old, who has had a medical at Liverpool.

The financial outlay Arsenal were required to make was a key reason behind the decision to pull the plug on a deal, but Wenger also added: ‘He (Şahin) wouldn’t necessarily be a replacement for Song because Şahin isn’t a defensive midfielder.

‘We have (Jack) Wilshere coming back quicker and he is a similar type of player. I see Şahin more in the attacking department — not in a deep midfield role.

‘If you look at the numbers you will see that Song was more of an offensive player than a defensive one.

‘We have (Mikel) Arteta who can play deeper — the kind of (Andrea) Pirlo role — we have (Abou) Diaby, who is a very strong defensive player.

‘And of course, Şahin wants to play. He wants to join a club where he will play (every week). We have nine midfielders and they all need a chance to play.’

Wenger will go into the final week of the transfer window on the look-out for defensive midfielder and a versatile defender.

But there is one player in particular Wenger wishes he could have signed this summer.

‘The one player I would like to have signed? Eden Hazard,’ revealed Wenger.

‘We would have considered him, yes, because we were on the case a long time but there was such a competition for him.

‘Manchester City and Chelsea, they fly a bit higher in the sky.

‘We tried to sign him two years ago, we were in touch with Lille but they never wanted to sell him.

‘They had a clause and they decided only this year to sell. He was a very young boy, he is still a very young boy.

‘He is a guy who has something special, as you have seen already.’

Hold on. Hasn't Arsene contradicted himself by saying He (Şahin) wouldn’t necessarily be a replacement for Şahin isn’t a defensive midfielder at the beginning then saying Song was more of an offensive player than a defensive one ?

I've got something serious I'd like to say to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger in regards to the Şahin transfer:

2402896o.gif

Hold on. Hasn't Arsene contradicted himself by saying He (Şahin) wouldn’t necessarily be a replacement for Şahin isn’t a defensive midfielder at the beginning then saying Song was more of an offensive player than a defensive one ?

Wenger's entire existence is a contradiction.

"The challenge was to wrestle the momentum from Arsenal" Love love love this.

he's a fighter, this Norn Iron manager (quel Surprise!)

Sounds like we've virtually guaranteed this guy a starting berth. Let's hope he earns it.

Nor should he. As much as I like Lucas and really think Allen is superb, Şahin is ahead of both of them. You don't leave Real to sit on the bench.

Owen left Real to sit on the bench? Are you sure you've read that right? He joined real, just to sit on the bench. He left Real and played for Newcastle.

Rodgers said: “If we can get top players in here, once we’re striving to get back to where the club belongs, then it’s a great boost. It will be brilliant for the supporters because there’s been a lot of trauma here in the last few years.

“What they want to see is a winning team on the field and this is a player who comes in with great pedigree and hopefully will fit into our culture and style.”

And what would he do if a player didn’t buy into his ethos?

“I’ll just take out my guitar and sing some Irish songs!” he laughed. That would be one for the cameras.

“It’s a great opportunity to bring in a top technician,’’ he observed of the Turkish international. “He’s a master technician and that’s something important, that I’ve got players who can cope with the game.

“I will always carry more midfielders than probably most. I will try to carry five or six central midfielders because we always play with three. That’s the key part of our team. We have to command the game, dictate the tempo of the game and need to ensure that area is as fresh as we possibly can.”

I can't nail down precisely why, but this deal reminds me of Mascherano. I think this lad is going to be a wee bit special, and I hope that if he is we can give him a good reason to stay at the end of the season.

I'm sure he'll be offered blow jobs & reach arounds aplenty on here to stay if he's good.

This is the first time I saw him speak. I tried to watch the body language and read between the lines to the best of my limited ability. Judging on this interview, he seems:

a) VERY ambitious. I was a bit surprised to see that. He wants to get to the very top. Now I understand why he decided to leave Borussia for Real, despite all the risks of such a move.
b) Very smart. He does his own research, and makes his own decisions.
c) I think in the end he did choose us over Arsenal, although he was conflicted about it for a while. But he feels sure about his choice now and has no regrets.
d) He looks up to Xabi
e) He is eager to prove a point to Mourinho and prove himself in England.

I can see that us not playing in the CL was a huge disadvantage for us in his eyes. He wants to be on the big stage. Fortunately he felt genuine ambition coming from our manager and owners, if he didn't, he would never come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom