• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match - Arsenal - Sunday 4.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think its all bollox, Gabriel is a bit of a wank character in my view, and also I see Saka is learning, when he fell in the first half - its like he got shot in the eye, when he was never touched around that area.

You just used abusive words against Gabriel, and you've aggravated matters by using the specific word "wank" which is an implied reference to his genitals. So you're guilty of an aggravated breach of FA Rule E3. You're basically a racist. Just like Henderson will turn out to be in a few weeks.

You just used abusive words against Gabriel, and you've aggravated matters by using the specific word "wank" which is an implied reference to his genitals. So you're guilty of an aggravated breach of FA Rule E3. You're basically a racist. Just like Henderson will turn out to be in a few weeks.

Ok - lets turn this around, I think he has a small cock.

On a serious note - does anyone know how badly Diaz is going to be out for ?

Likely he ruptured his MCL. Might have been mild. He obviously continued playing under close supervision of our highly trained medical team. Unfortunately it didn't work out. Now it is no longer mild. I hear he left on crutches and in a knee brace. You live and you learn I guess. Oh well.

Shit or not shit, a 2 month Henderson ban for this, on top of our midfield issues, would be the cherry on top of everything.

Also, what does it do for team spirit if the captain's slagging off Brazilians when some of our best, most senior players are Brazilian. Shambles.
And you know what was said do you?

Clearly Henderson was talking about his wife’s new “haircut” when he called Gabriel a “Brazilian C**t” and I’m not sure “Yer bbq skills are shit” qualifies as a racial slur.

Jeeezzess fucking hell.

Possible offside: Saka on Martinelli goal
What happened:
Arsenal took the lead in the first minute through Gabriel Martinelli, but there was a review for offside in the buildup against Bukayo Saka (watch here.)
VAR decision: Goal stands
VAR review: A first, it seems, as the VAR was unable to make a full calibrated check on Saka's offside position.
The VAR set the kick-point on Ben White, who played the pass to Saka, and then looked to use one of the other cameras, which are all time-synced, to apply the offside lines. Technology provider Hawk-Eye has five cameras around the pitch which can be used to place the offside lines, but Saka was out of shot on all of them at the point the ball was played by White.
Bukayo Saka's trailing leg could have been offside on Arsenal's opening goal. BBC
From the tactical camera around the half-way line, which isn't calibrated for offside, there is definitely a question of offside against Saka as he's running back, specifically whether his back foot is ahead of the last defender, Trent Alexander-Arnold. But as the VAR could not apply the lines, Saka's offside position cannot be determined so the VAR has to stay with the decision on the pitch, which was onside.
This angle, a few seconds later into the move after the White's pass, shows how it is possible for a player to be off the screen to the left of the shot, if it is panned away from that area of the pitch.

Possible penalty overturn: Thiago's foul on Jesus
What happened:
In the 76th minute, Arsenal were awarded a penalty when Jesus went down under a challenge from Thiago.

VAR decision: Penalty stands

VAR review: This again comes down to the weight of the on-field decision. Once the VAR has identified contact on Jesus by Thiago, and Oliver says he saw that Jesus was kicked on his ankle, there is very little place for the VAR to go.
It is without doubt a very soft penalty, and it's highly unlikely the VAR would intervene and advise a penalty if Oliver hadn't awarded it.

Jeeezzess fucking hell.

Possible offside: Saka on Martinelli goal
What happened:
Arsenal took the lead in the first minute through Gabriel Martinelli, but there was a review for offside in the buildup against Bukayo Saka (watch here.)
VAR decision: Goal stands
VAR review: A first, it seems, as the VAR was unable to make a full calibrated check on Saka's offside position.
The VAR set the kick-point on Ben White, who played the pass to Saka, and then looked to use one of the other cameras, which are all time-synced, to apply the offside lines. Technology provider Hawk-Eye has five cameras around the pitch which can be used to place the offside lines, but Saka was out of shot on all of them at the point the ball was played by White.
Bukayo Saka's trailing leg could have been offside on Arsenal's opening goal. BBC
From the tactical camera around the half-way line, which isn't calibrated for offside, there is definitely a question of offside against Saka as he's running back, specifically whether his back foot is ahead of the last defender, Trent Alexander-Arnold. But as the VAR could not apply the lines, Saka's offside position cannot be determined so the VAR has to stay with the decision on the pitch, which was onside.
This angle, a few seconds later into the move after the White's pass, shows how it is possible for a player to be off the screen to the left of the shot, if it is panned away from that area of the pitch.
I said in the match thread at the time it was plainly offside. And it was.

Var UZ
Possible penalty overturn: Thiago's foul on Jesus
What happened:
In the 76th minute, Arsenal were awarded a penalty when Jesus went down under a challenge from Thiago.

VAR decision: Penalty stands

VAR review: This again comes down to the weight of the on-field decision. Once the VAR has identified contact on Jesus by Thiago, and Oliver says he saw that Jesus was kicked on his ankle, there is very little place for the VAR to go.
It is without doubt a very soft penalty, and it's highly unlikely the VAR would intervene and advise a penalty if Oliver hadn't awarded it.
What about the Gabriel handball?

funny was when arteta shouted to the ref and got gomez booked for taking time with a throw in - it was 2-2 at the time
in the first half arse players took more time to get the ball back into play, when they were leading

result, yellow for joe
weak ref

Var UZ

What about the Gabriel handball?

Possible penalty: Handball by Gabriel
What happened:
In the 15th minute, Diogo Jota attempted to play the ball into the area and it hit the arm of Gabriel. Referee Michael Oliver waved play on.
VAR decision: No penalty
VAR review: Arm position alone hasn't been the determining factor in a handball offence since the law was changed in the summer of 2021. A series of considerations need to be taken into account by the referee and the VAR, most importantly the position of a player's arm relative to their body movement, proximity to the ball and the speed at which is has been played. It means a player is not automatically determined to have committed a handball offence just by having their arm away from their body.
Of course, added layers of subjectivity mean less consistency -- while handball situations may seem the same it's still about how it's interpreted in the opinion of the referee, and indeed the VAR.
There's no doubt the ball hits Gabriel's arm, and that his arm is away from the body, but the VAR (Darren England) decided that it was hit at point-blank range and the defender had no chance to react. That said, we have come to expect this should be a penalty this season. Even if you can make a case for Gabriel using his arm to balance as he comes to a stop, it is still a long way from the body and creates a barrier.
Gabriel was very close to Diogo Jota when the ball was struck. BBC
This season we have come to expect a handball such as this would be penalised with a penalty kick. BBC
The purpose of VAR, however, is not to bring overall consistency of decision-making, that's impossible with a system that's applying the "clear and obvious" criteria to a referee's decision, rather than a catch-all approach. It means this can not be a penalty, and other similar incidents be a penalty -- based upon what the referee gives at the time.
But what is proximity to one referee might not be to another. When is too close, too close? Last month, VAR Stuart Attwell advised that Newcastle United should be awarded a penalty for handball by Bournemouth's Jefferson Lerma as he moved his hand to the ball.
Jefferson Lerma was penalised for handball against Newcastle United last month. BBC
But, at the Emirates, Michael Oliver decided proximity was more important. You can see from the images that Gabriel is closer to the ball that Lerma, and such decisions will always bring subjective differences.
There was a greater gap between the ball and Jefferson Lerma. Newcastle United
Gabriel appears to be close to the ball in the decision on Sunday. BBC
Let's take the penalty awarded to Brentford for handball by Newcastle's Dan Burn on Saturday. If proximity was a consideration on Gabriel, how could Burn have a penalty given against him? Most importantly, Burn's arm is in a different position to Gabriel's, way above the head and not justifiable for his body movement, even though he is jumping. Proximity would be a consideration for the VAR if the referee hadn't given the penalty, but the arm is very high in comparison to other such decisions.

I sat with a couple of Arsenal fans and they were strangely quiet throughout that game. Mid first half they thought they were going to get turned over and late second half they thought we'd draw level again. Funny how each fan base sees things differently.

After the (by now) usual calamitous start I though we'd be on the end of a drubbing but we managed to make a game of it albeit continuously managing to shoot ourselves in the back.

We need much more aggression in the middle and the return of Curtis may help us retain possession for longer in that part of the pitch. Suck it up, move on.

By the way I thought Nunez looked a threat before we ran out of steam and failed to get service to him. I expect him to succeed.
We didn't run out of steam, arsenal we poor and still led 2-1 at h/t. They came out in the 2nd half and straight away got their act together. We just the same as we were even after we scored agsinst the run of play nothing changed. Arsenal weren't great by stretch but were way better than us but after they scored the pen we didn't even look like creating even a chance

Arsenal were the better team from what I saw. Bad VAR decisions but still we were not the better team.

Replacing Trent with Aaron Wan-Bissaka is up there with replacing Klopp with Wagner.

He is a better defender than TAA and Gomez, Sorry he is a better RB and offers more going forward than Gomez.

He many not be idea but he is a step up on what we have at present. But by all means if we can bring in better I am all for that

He is a better defender than TAA and Gomez, Sorry he is a better RB and offers more going forward than Gomez.

He many not be idea but he is a step up on what we have at present. But by all means if we can bring in better I am all for that
Better in what respect?

a) Klopp's job is safe, unless we get relegated - which won't happen. I look forward to him fixing the team next year, because he'll be as hungry as he was early on and the team will have a giant chip on their shoulder (unless we somehow turn this around - and I cannot see that happening)
b) Despite the above, I'm still frustrated with Klopp ... I feel he needs to compromise some of our attacking player to ensure our defense is far more protected.
c) Salah ... Another game, another point about him. Will he ever be Salah again? Or is this due to how we've set up?
d) FSG ... Another game, another point about them. I hope for another turnaround as we did with the VvD injury year - and finishing top 4. It won't be easy though ... Man City are better than us. Arsenal are easily going to finish top 4 (happy to eat humble pie if wrong). Chelsea are investing and are ... better than us. That means we have to catch Spurs - a team that Conte will ensure can win most games 1/2-0 ... I hope we can do it, but Newcastle will invest more in the winter and Man U will get better too - so it won't be easy. We were at our peak, and they didn't invest properly. We had a great season, and CLEARLY needed midfielders and they didn't invest. Our owners way is the 'right way' imo, but in a competition against teams that will happily break rules due to the cowardice of FIFA/PL, we have to be more aggressive ...

Last edited:
a) Klopp's job is safe, unless we get relegated - which won't happen. I look forward to him fixing the team next year, because he'll be as hungry as he was early on and the team will have a giant chip on their shoulder (unless we somehow turn this around - and I cannot see that happening)
b) Despite the above, I'm still frustrated with Klopp ... I feel he needs to compromise some of our attacking player to ensure our defense is far more protected.
c) Salah ... Another game, another point about them. Will he ever be Salah again? Or is this due to how we've set up?
d) FSG ... Another game, another point about them. I hope for another turnaround as we did with the VvD injury year - and finishing top 4. It won't be easy though ... Man City are better than us. Arsenal are easily going to finish top 4 (happy to eat humble pie if wrong). Chelsea are investing and are ... better than us. That means we have to catch Spurs - a team that Conte will ensure can win most games 1/2-0 ... I hope we can do it, but Newcastle will invest more in the winter and Man U will get better too - so it won't be easy. We were at our peak, and they didn't invest properly. We had a great season, and CLEARLY needed midfielders and they didn't invest. Our owners way is the 'right way' imo, but in a competition against teams that will happily break rules due to the cowardice of FIFA/PL, we have to be more aggressive ...

If there was a Brazilian mutiny due to racism, and our spirit breaks, then relegation is not unforeseeable. Your foolish statement to the contrary has all but assured that it will come to pass in your geodesic. I for one will take the necessary steps to avoid your fate.

And, as usual, you’re entirely wrong.

We don’t need to bring in a RB because we already did in the last window - we also have another young one out performing well on loan and an even younger one coming through.

Gomez isn’t a right back, he’s a CB who can fill in temporarily if required.

I’ll tell you what is truly fucked up though - 8 games into a new season, writing off and wanting to replace the RB that has consistently been the best player in the world in that position over several seasons.

Suggesting replacing him with someone who’s inept performances in an even more disfunctional defence have got him dustbinned is not a solution - It’s not even stupid…. It’s what should been know as “a Donavan” - everyone will know what it means.

Congrats you’re now up there with “Quiffing” and going “full Dreamie” with “doing a Donavan”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom