• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brentford (A) - Sat 17:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klopp was a shit house today,

1) took off our best player after he just scored. WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT.
2) never once proceeded to make another sub or tactical switch,
3) neglected the fact Trent was getting arse raped by 2-3 Brentford players
4) keeping Sadio on the pitch for 90 mins

Errr....@Woland, I will answer for both of us on that first point. He did that at least a few times last season, and we collapsed in at least two of those games...oh and the player was also Curtis.

Just watched MOTD. Good game. Looked like we had the chances to win it.

They will hopefully win against some of the other rivals when they visit. Point might be 'a good point'.

2 points dropped. Absolute horror show defending all game. Attack did quite well, except for when Salah tried to take the piss with that one on one. But it's Salah, so he gets a bit of a pass for now. Disappointing. We'll drop points against City next week, so really needed to win this and we had the opportunities.

For the second goal certainly and also for the third goal, there seemed to be an overload of Brentford playes on our right side against the high ball.
Which, I assume, was a deliberate tactic by them.
Which makes sense as there is usually little change got from our centre halves so why not try to isolate our smaller right back.

Just watched our game on MOTD.

Good lord Trent was worst than I thought.....especially for the third.

He really is an average defender sorry to say, for all his greatness and ability he has going forward.

Set pieces as well were utterly diabolical.

We need someone to push him.

I think Klopp got it wrong here. You rarely see opposition players getting so many good chances and also the managed to create chaos in our defending. Hopefully we will defend better against City.

That was our worst defensive performance since Villa last year, seemed like we lost every 1v1 battle. Robbo is well and truly in a slump and needs to be dropped.

We continue to miss great chances with alarming regularlity but you can't really criticize Salah when he's got 6 goals from 7 starts this season. He's an absolute diamond, fastest ever to 100 league goals I hope he stays for a few years yet.

Yeah.

Van Dijk seems tentative still. It was only at the end, when he was pissed off, did he show urgency and power, and flatten Toney.

He should have set that tone at the start of the game.

We lost far too many 1 v 1 battles against their forwards today. Worst game I've seen them both play in a long time.

Credit to Brentford.
Yeah, that was the sum of it. Generally, our spine is outstanding in one-on-ones. Alisson is usually terrific and cleans everything in his path. He looked indecisive and just weak. Rarely do you see him like that.

Van Dijk played like he didn't expect such physicality from Brentford, and was clearly pissed off at the end.

Fabinho had a weak as fuck game. Generally he wins most of his duels.

Just a bad day for all of them. You can blame the forward line for missing chances, but they always do that. Nothing new. They did score 3, and the back line has no business conceding 3 to Brentford.

Trent just kept getting targeted and outmanned. Midfield need to do more to support

however, can’t help but feel that if Salah wasn’t so lax with the chipped finish, we’d be 3 points clear. Strange that he would be so casual given how desperate he always is to score.

For the second goal certainly and also for the third goal, there seemed to be an overload of Brentford playes on our right side against the high ball.
Which, I assume, was a deliberate tactic by them.
Which makes sense as there is usually little change got from our centre halves so why not try to isolate our smaller right back.

Yep, both the second and third goal was TAA verses 3 Brentford players competing for the cross. No surprise he didn’t win the header nor the second ball.

Credit to Brentford. Their tactics were excellent.

Trent just kept getting targeted and outmanned. Midfield need to do more to support

however, can’t help but feel that if Salah wasn’t so lax with the chipped finish, we’d be 3 points clear. Strange that he would be so casual given how desperate he always is to score.
The ball bobbled a bit, which screwed up the finish.

I think subbing Jones for Bobby cost us this, we needed Millie in CM bringing order and supporting the full backs. Yes we missed chances to win it but we also left both full backs isolated. Robbo played them onside for the first and the next two came from Trent getting targeted. Why wasn’t Hendo helping Trent out?

dodgy in many areas but hopefully a good point given our poor defensive outing.

I think subbing Jones for Bobby cost us this, we needed Millie in CM bringing order and supporting the full backs. Yes we missed chances to win it but we also left both full backs isolated. Robbo played them onside for the first and the next two came from Trent getting targeted. Why wasn’t Hendo helping Trent out?

Yep that's how I viewed it too. You don't bring a goal scorer off straight after they score either.

Backfired.

Just watched our game on MOTD.

Good lord Trent was worst than I thought.....especially for the third.[
I actually thought Brentford was collectively cleverer than Liverpool there by triple-teaming him. Again. There was a serious lack of leadership in seeing and resolving this, both from the manager and on the field. It did help that we kept losing the ball with some atrocious passing and, before we had recovered our thoughts, Brentford had got behind our defensive line. Much like at Aston Villa last season.

Oh, we also have to be the most wasteful team in Europe, right now!

Last edited:
Not sure when Klopp will wake up to the fact that Trent is a pretty awful defender.
He is when teams decide to target his area but what other options does Klopp have right now? Either switching to a 3 at the back or putting in Milner? Nothings going to change is it

I actually thought Brentford was collectively cleverer than Liverpool there by triple-teaming him. Again. There was a serious lack of leadership in seeing and resolving this, both from the manager and on the field. It did help that we kept losing the ball with some atrocious passing and, before we had recovered our thoughts, Brentford had got behind our defensive line. Much like at Aston Villa last season.

Oh, we also have to be the most wasteful team in Europe, right now!

Yep, all the goals that Brentford scored came about because they were smarter and quicker than we were.

The finish on the third goal was quality too

He is when teams decide to target his area but what other options does Klopp have right now? Either switching to a 3 at the back or putting in Milner? Nothings going to change is it
We know and everyone in the league knows that our fullbacks provide the attacking threat rather the midfielders. If the midfielders are not going to contribute with goals, they should at least provide defensive cover when fullbacks go forward. Also, after the second goal— hell even before that as there enough warnings— Matip should have been more alert to the danger lurking at that back post. I could see it each time we lost the ball and could not understand why we failed to react.

Collectively we failed to react to danger, and I blame Klopp as much as anyone (I’d have hooked Mané, too.)

But we’ll learn, we always do.

Was Jones injured when he came off or what? Was he resting him for Porto? Should have been Bobby for Jota, Milner for Jones. Strange decision that may have cost us the game
Klopp claims as the midfield was being bypassed, it was better to have another attacking threat. As I said, earlier, I’d taken off Mané rather than Jones not so much that he was blunt in attack although that's a worry but kept losing the ball with some truly dreadful passing from which we always found ourselves under pressure. And almost in the same position— fullbacks as they would further up the pitch.

Last edited:

Yes, Bobby for Jota and Millie in midfield for Jones would have been better

Yes, Bobby for Jota and Millie in midfield for Jones would have been better

Klopp explained his reasoning at the presser - he said with the way Brentford were playing the midfield was getting bypassed anyway, so he wanted to essentially divide the team into clear attacking and defensive units (4 attackers, 6 defenders) and thus catch them on the break as they poured the numbers forward, while the two holding midfielders would concentrate on mopping up second balls. According to Klopp, the tactic actually worked well as we created a lot more clear-cut chances, but we just didn’t put them away (and conceded too).

It sounds like a solid idea in theory, but for some combination of reasons the team were not able to execute it well. I also think had this been a decisive game of some sort, Klopp and the team would have found a way to shut up shop and kill the game - but here they were perhaps a bit taken by the atmosphere and tried to win by outgunning the opposition rather than being cynical and ruthless. They will learn.

Last edited:
Klopp explained his reasoning at the presser - he said with the way Brentford were playing the midfield was getting bypassed anyway, so he wanted to essentially divide the team into clear attacking and defensive units (4 attackers, 6 defenders) and thus catch them on the break as they poured the numbers forward, while the two holding midfielders would concentrate on mopping up second balls. According to Klopp, the tactic actually worked well as we created a lot more clear-cut chances, but we just didn’t put them away (and conceded too).

It sounds like a solid idea in theory, but for some combination of reasons the team were not able to execute it well. I also think had this been a decisive game of some sort, Klopp and the team would have found a way to shut up shop and kill the game - but here they were perhaps a bit taken by the atmosphere and tried to win by outgunning the opposition rather than being cynical and ruthless. They will learn.

Yeah, I can agree with him in regards to chances created.
Salah scores that colossal chance in his sleep at 2-3, but for a wobbly ball he fluffs it.
A goal there and its game over.

What surprised me was the lack of fight for all the goals conceded.
Fabinho for the first, Virgil for the second and then Alisson/Trent for the 3rd.
Just a bit switched off and half hearted.

They’ll learn, but 2 points dropped.

It was the right sub, we had two golden opportunities to go 4-2, having the four forward players made this possible, we were cutting through them much easier after the sub, we just choked with the finishing big time. If we'd have left Jones on it wouldn't have stopped us conceding the way we did, but we wouldn't have had those chances.

The reason we lost was naivety and a lack of conviction in defence, no one in the back six picked up on them overloading Trent three to one, they got their second like that, and there was a ton of warning signs before it happened that it would happen again. No one seemed to take charge of our defensive situation, Virgil wasn't at his imposing best, he's allowed an off day, but unfortunately today his off day seems to have spread to Fabinho, Matip and Allison too.

Frustrating result, but it's been a good weekend for us in the grand scheme of things.

When they overload like that 3 on 1, is there any plausible remedy other than stopping the cross? Offside trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom