• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brentford (A) - Sat 17:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they overload like that 3 on 1, is there any plausible remedy other than stopping the cross? Offside trap?
I think if you recognize it as a tactic you can go three at the back. If Konate came on for Jones, it could also have fixed it

So playing attack and defend encouraged end to end stuff. Rafa would've shored it up on 3-2 but Rafa never won the league. I think it was the right game plan and we were opening them up at will but they just got lucky in that we missed sitters. In fairness they deserved something out of the game.

Lots of teams will play it long against us, maybe JK should be a bit more flexible. Could've brough Joe Gomez on and played 3 at the back. Mane off Joe on. But look on the bright side.Top of the pile and Jones knocked one in. Can see Mane rested V Porto.

I didn't see any reason to change it other than telling Jones to help TAA out more.

Anyways just heard the Brentford fans were singing 'we pay your benefits' which I'm happy about because instead of seeing them as a plucky underdog who I want to do well they can officially get fucked like every other side.

I didn't see any reason to change it other than telling Jones to help TAA out more.

Anyways just heard the Brentford fans were singing 'we pay your benefits' which I'm happy about because instead of seeing them as a plucky underdog who I want to do well they can officially get fucked like every other side.

Yeah, I was happy to see them come up, but they were singing that, "you're not singing anymore", and the hilarious "you're shit... ahhhh!" during every goal kick. Hope they get relegated and tumble down the leagues. I'm just surprised they didn't have a brass band churning out self preservation society and vindaloo for 90 minutes.

So playing attack and defend encouraged end to end stuff. Rafa would've shored it up on 3-2 but Rafa never won the league. I think it was the right game plan and we were opening them up at will but they just got lucky in that we missed sitters. In fairness they deserved something out of the game.

Lots of teams will play it long against us, maybe JK should be a bit more flexible. Could've brough Joe Gomez on and played 3 at the back. Mane off Joe on. But look on the bright side.Top of the pile and Jones knocked one in. Can see Mane rested V Porto.

Top of the pile for now.... Brighton wins Monday and they go top.. Brighton top!! who would have thunk it :D

Could we be seeing another Leicester city 2015/16 here
Wonder if I can still get 500/1 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top of the pile for now.... Brighton wins Monday and they go top.. Brighton top!! who would have thunk it :D

Could we be seeing another Leicester city 2015/16 here
Wonder if I can still get 500/1 :rolleyes:
You mean like when Sothampton were top this time last season? Or, in fact, almost every season when an 'unexpected' team is top after 5 or 6 games only to end up lower mid table come the end.

You mean like when Sothampton were top this time last season? Or, in fact, almost every season when an 'unexpected' team is top after 5 or 6 games only to end up lower mid table come the end.

Yes, that. But, it would mean so much to to the seagull fans to be top, even for few days. Spent several years growing up in Brighton within earshot of the old Goldstone Ground. Hope they win.

Crystal Palace are going to go all out to stop Brighton.
Got to say I am quite fond of both teams.

All that and he was abysmal.

Do you think he's a good defender? He's an outstanding player, but he's repeatedly targetted for a reason, he lets players past him too easily and gets caught on the far post too often.

Maybe this wasn't the game to pick, because he wasn't well protected, but there have been plenty of other games where he's struggled in one-on-ones and goals and chances repeatedly stem from his side. Robbo hasn't been great for a year or so, but generally defensively not much comes down his side.

I don't know what the answer is, but everyone has seemed to be pretending this isn't an issue for years now. It's a shame the stats don't reflect the amount of times he's skipped past, bypassed and/or positionally suspect.

Do you think he's a good defender? He's an outstanding player, but he's repeatedly targetted for a reason, he lets players past him too easily and gets caught on the far post too often.

Maybe this wasn't the game to pick, because he wasn't well protected, but there have been plenty of other games where he's struggled in one-on-ones and goals and chances repeatedly stem from his side. Robbo hasn't been great for a year or so, but generally defensively not much comes down his side.

I don't know what the answer is, but everyone has seemed to be pretending this isn't an issue for years now. It's a shame the stats don't reflect the amount of times he's skipped past, bypassed and/or positionally suspect.

I totally agree. I'm not sure why it's worked out for him before. I think it's a mentality thing. He was never this bad at defending. Maybe he's just too focused on attacking?
Until he sorts himself out, Klopp needs to either have Milner on the pitch to babysit him or pull Henderson further back to do the same.

If I'm being honest, I can't understand why Klopp didn't get Milner or another defender on, to protect the lead.

Last edited:
We know and everyone in the league knows that our fullbacks provide the attacking threat rather the midfielders. If the midfielders are not going to contribute with goals, they should at least provide defensive cover when fullbacks go forward. Also, after the second goal— hell even before that as there enough warnings— Matip should have been more alert to the danger lurking at that back post. I could see it each time we lost the ball and could not understand why we failed to react.

Collectively we failed to react to danger, and I blame Klopp as much as anyone (I’d have hooked Mané, too.)

But we’ll learn, we always do.

To be fair our midfield provided 2 assists and a goal out of 3 goals

Yes, that. But, it would mean so much to to the seagull fans to be top, even for few days. Spent several years growing up in Brighton within earshot of the old Goldstone Ground. Hope they win.
Yep, all my neighbours down here are Seagull fans. Potter looks like a very good manager.

Tonight won't be easy, Palace will die in a ditch rather than let Brighton go top with a win.

As said below your post I would be happy for them even if it was for a couple of days.
It could have been worst had Utd beat Villa.So it's all good

Crystal Palace are going to go all out to stop Brighton.
Got to say I am quite fond of both teams.
I've never known why that fixture is classed as a derby,

I'm really ok with Brighton getting top spot after tonight...They're finally getting the results their football play deserves.

Trent isn't great when it comes to one on ones...let's be honest...Milner showed the previous week how to handle Zaha with ease. Trent had always had this as a weakness, I don't know why he gets bamboozled so easily compared to others. Wan basaka is Trent's opposite he rarely gets beaten 1 vs 1 but obviously can't attack as well as Trent

We had conceded 1 goal prior to the game on Saturday. Lets not go overboard regarding Trent and that he's an issue for us.
He's one of the best right backs in the World. His defending has gotten better, and will continue to improve. I'd rather have him in our team then someone like Wan Bissaka that looks like he is allergic to the grass in the oppositions half and once he's there he cant fucking see anything or move.

Fabinho and Matip struggled, which exposes Trent even more. This isnt an issue at all imho.

Have I stumbled into a parallel universe where Mark and Modo agree with each other and even like each other's posts?
Nope it's really true, they even snapchat and send all sorts of eyebrow raising emojis to 1 another.

I actually heard from a little birdy Modo's invited him over for his stagdo next weekend.

Some people are world class with the ball, others are world class without the ball. Some are both. I'd say we're blessed to have Trent and focusing on his deficiencies is poor unless we actually expect him to be unbeatable in defence? Some people just lack realism for a footballer. Nobody can be perfect in every aspect of what they do.

Still can't get my head around Fabinho not clearing the ball away for their first goal (I think)

Still can't get my head around Fabinho not clearing the ball away for their first goal (I think)

It was an awkward one because he was running towards goal and didn't know what was behind him, but he could have done better trah.

As for those stats above, that's all well and good, but there's the eye test. Van Dijk was shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom