• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Priorities for Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue Toure at his pomp was a bit of a beast, though I agree with the point.

There is more of an emphasis on technical ability from all players now, with their physicality being less important.

However, I understand the gripes, and I have the same gripes myself. My issue being that while our players are becoming more technique-based, we have lost some of the edge of years gone by that came through aggression and mentality. Our players now are resembling the spineless fannies that used to find themselves at Arsenal. A bit of mental and physical toughness would be nice.

I'd argue Toure at his pomp was a bit of a beast, though I agree with the point.

There is more of an emphasis on technical ability from all players now, with their physicality being less important.

However, I understand the gripes, and I have the same gripes myself. My issue being that while our players are becoming more technique-based, we have lost some of the edge of years gone by that came through aggression and mentality. Our players now are resembling the spineless fannies that used to find themselves at Arsenal. A bit of mental and physical toughness would be nice.

It's cos the days of a flat line of midfielders are over.

No side plays in 3 lines anymore.

It's cos the days of a flat line of midfielders are over.

No side plays in 3 lines anymore.

True. And while that is true, it also doesn't rule out what I'm saying. We seem to have a squad of mentally weak players. Over the course of the last ten years at least, we have lost several key figures that would give us a bit of a mental, aggressive edge and would back that up with physicality. Obviously, I'm not calling for us to go out and buy a load of yard dogs, but what we need is someone who is physically, as well as mentally, tough. Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho are all technically good players, but it's their mental and physical attributes that come under fire when our backs are against the wall. I'd like to think that is what the OP about a "monster of a cm" was referring to.

Of course the days of 442 and the box-to-box midfielder are dead, but we still need someone that bit of gumption and determination and aggression that that type of player would command. At the moment we seem to have a core of players who are nice, tippy tappy, technically capable, tactically astute players, but nevertheless they are players that lack the mentality and the fortitude to really drive us forward. The teams above us have that.

True. And while that is true, it also doesn't rule out what I'm saying. We seem to have a squad of mentally weak players. Over the course of the last ten years at least, we have lost several key figures that would give us a bit of a mental, aggressive edge and would back that up with physicality. Obviously, I'm not calling for us to go out and buy a load of yard dogs, but what we need is someone who is physically, as well as mentally, tough. Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho are all technically good players, but it's their mental and physical attributes that come under fire when our backs are against the wall. I'd like to think that is what the OP about a "monster of a cm" was referring to.

Of course the days of 442 and the box-to-box midfielder are dead, but we still need someone that bit of gumption and determination and aggression that that type of player would command. At the moment we seem to have a core of players who are nice, tippy tappy, technically capable, tactically astute players, but nevertheless they are players that lack the mentality and the fortitude to really drive us forward. The teams above us have that.

Not disagreeing with any of that. I was getting at that in some thread a week or so back about "little things"... We've got no winners in the side.

You don't need a beast, you need someone who can stand up and be counted. Xabi and Didi weren't particuarly physical - but they stood up when it counted, and didn't take shit from anybody.

Henderson hides too often for my liking, and Joe Allen looks like he might cry anytime. We could certainly do with a proper CM who can influence games on a regular basis, and not be physically bullied.

The old "we need new CM's" argument gets fuck all support from me at the best of times, and even less so in a season when our five strikers have contributed 14 goals between them, and our defence has just just come off the back of conceding another 4 goals.

So let's keep Lucas and Allen and get rid of everyone else?

I feel that's an overly complex way of having your arguments in favour of both proven wrong again

We need one or two top class attackers / goalscorers.

Everything else is secondary.

We will sign some players. Some will leave. We will win some matches. Lose some. And the teams with the most money and the highest wage bills will win the league.

I haven't seen any of the "big" team being linked with Lewis Cook of Leeds yet but it's only a matter of time and I'm sure he's already on their radars. He's just turned 18 and looks like just the sort of player we're looking for; tenacious CM'er who reads the game very well and is comfortable in possession. I'm hoping we're keeping tabs on him (he's out injured at the moment) because he could become a top player.

Leeds had a dodgy start to the season and their upturn in form coincided with Cook's promotion to the first team, and their recent dip in form has coincided with his injury.

The old "we need new CM's" argument gets fuck all support from me at the best of times, and even less so in a season when our five strikers have contributed 14 goals between them, and our defence has just just come off the back of conceding another 4 goals.
Given your previous post rightly pointed out that no-one plays in 3 straight lines any more, I can't see how you can then lurch into Hodgson-speak that the midfield has nothing to do with the defence or the attack.

Our problem is that we don't dominate teams and our possession against the best sides is poor. I will argue all day long that 2 more technically skilled players in centre midfield would transform this side, we have good attacking midfielders, we have pace and we have strength at the back but we don't have the right link play.

Mediocre team buys Torres. We score goals for fun and win lots of games.
Mediocre team goes out to buy Suarez.
We score goals for fun and win lots of games.
Mediocre team goes out to buy _________.

It really isn't rocket science.

We will sign some players. Some will leave. We will win some matches. Lose some. And the teams with the most money and the highest wage bills will win the league.

I think we've a 1 in 10 chance to win it. City, Chelsea and United should win it probably 8 times out of ten.

We need to be ready to pounce when they falter - last season in the last quarter of the season Sturridge was injured and Suarez had an 8 game goalless streak. That was our chance.

Except we don't have Gerrard to set them up.

Maybe if mediocre team goes out to buy world class centre midfielder and striker then score goals etc..

All of a sudden we need a rocket scientist to find them

This "beast of a centre mid" myth has been around for longer than the premier league.

There are none. Well, none at any of the top 4 clubs anyway. Matic maybe, who else is there after that? Here's the top 5 CM pairings (outside of ours) in the league:

Matic & Fabregas.
Coquelin & Cazorla
Herrera & Carrick
Fernando & Toure
Mason & Bentaleb

The most 'beastless' set of midfielders I ever did see.

"No bullshit winners in the engine room". Where are you living, 1973?

So Chelsea have a proper DM in Matic and are likely to win the league.
Barca have a proper one in Busquets and are likely to win theirs.
Juve have a proper one in Vidal and are going to win theirs.
PSG have one in Motta and are going to win their league.

Alonso?
Kross?

Regardless of how you define modern football the central dynamics are obviously crucial for any team.

Matic/fabregas is a good example of great balance. At least until Fabregas got his usual mid-season block.

Overall this season I think we had a few moments of balance with Lucas/Hendo and that was it.

I absolutely think we need to look at DM/CM this window.

Obviously we need to look at a striker as well.

Yup. If we can get in about £40m by selling Lucas, Johnson, Ming, Alberto, Aspas, Lambert, Borini, Enrique etc and spend about that amount on one "Superstar" signing. Then whatever extra the board give Rodgers (maybe about £30m if we don't get CL football) we sign 3 potential "bargains" e.g. Ings, Milner, Cech etc.

Yup. If we can get in about £40m by selling Lucas, Johnson, Ming, Alberto, Aspas, Lambert, Borini, Enrique etc and spend about that amount on one "Superstar" signing. Then whatever extra the board give Rodgers (maybe about £30m if we don't get CL football) we sign 3 potential "bargains" e.g. Ings, Milner, Cech etc.

We don't do Superstars any more. We guess at a good player's potential. We've been very astute/lucky with Torres/Suarez/Coutinho so long may it continue but don't think we are going to attract, or spend big on, the top players out there.

Out : Gerrard, Balotelli, Toure (I would prefer to keep him but it seems maybe BR does not agree), Johnson, Alberto, Aspas, Lambert, Borini, Enrique, anyone else I've forgotten not mentioned below.

Next Season (where addressing our lack of goals and strengthening our chronically weak midfield, must be the top priorities) :

GK : Cech, Ming

FBs : Flanno (RB/LB), Moreno, Manquillo (worth another season on loan), NEW LB or RB

CBs : Skrtel, Sakho, Ilori, Lovren (I'd sell him but his contract, and the fact we probably can't attract a good buyer, means he'll stay), NEW CB

CM : Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Can, NEW DM, NEW CM

WCM / #10 : Coutinho, Sterling (he is not a striker), Ibe, Markovic, Lallana

Forwards : Sturridge, Firmino (can play here and as AM), Origi, NEW ST.

I would let Allen go too if we had a good enough offer but he's a BR favourite and won't be going anywhere. Any squad padding to come from the U21 and not loanees or short term/cheap imports.

The fact we still need at least 7 players is diabolical and a terrible indictment of our scouting network / transfer policy but still an absolute necessity. Without a few exciting new faces, along the lines of Firmino, Lacazette, Benzema etc. we are not going to make an impact at the top of the table and should resign ourselves to fighting Spurs and Southampton for 5th again.

So Chelsea have a proper DM in Matic and are likely to win the league.
Barca have a proper one in Busquets and are likely to win theirs.
Juve have a proper one in Vidal and are going to win theirs.
PSG have one in Motta and are going to win their league.

I don't think BR will ever buy one. Even that cuntflap Wenger brought Flamini back on a free when he realised what we all know – all the technique, speed and fl;air in the world wont help you if the opposition can walk into your back four because they get no protection. This team could be challenging for the title if it had a Didi/Mascher type say in front of the back four. Especially when you play with full backs bombing on, even more important.
Part of the problem is that even brilliant tackles get players booked these days. Load of shite.

Out : Gerrard, Balotelli, Toure (I would prefer to keep him but it seems maybe BR does not agree), Johnson, Alberto, Aspas, Lambert, Borini, Enrique, anyone else I've forgotten not mentioned below.

Next Season (where addressing our lack of goals and strengthening our chronically weak midfield, must be the top priorities) :

GK : Cech, Ming

FBs : Flanno (RB/LB), Moreno, Manquillo (worth another season on loan), NEW LB or RB

CBs : Skrtel, Sakho, Ilori, Lovren (I'd sell him but his contract, and the fact we probably can't attract a good buyer, means he'll stay), NEW CB

CM : Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Can, NEW DM, NEW CM

WCM / #10 : Coutinho, Sterling (he is not a striker), Ibe, Markovic, Lallana

Forwards : Sturridge, Firmino (can play here and as AM), Origi, NEW ST.

I would let Allen go too if we had a good enough offer but he's a BR favourite and won't be going anywhere. Any squad padding to come from the U21 and not loanees or short term/cheap imports.

The fact we still need at least 7 players is diabolical and a terrible indictment of our scouting network / transfer policy but still an absolute necessity. Without a few exciting new faces, along the lines of Firmino, Lacazette, Benzema etc. we are not going to make an impact at the top of the table and should resign ourselves to fighting Spurs and Southampton for 5th again.

So we only need a world-class keeper, LB, CB DM and CM and a couple of top-class strikers and we'll be fine? Excellent.

So we only need a world-class keeper, LB, CB DM and CM and a couple of top-class strikers and we'll be fine? Excellent.

Thank you for adding 'World Class' ... I didn't realise I had forgotten that.

For someone who is always beating the 'We are Liverpool, we exist to win trophies' drum, I would be very interested to see what you want to see happen in terms of In/Outs to get us to that point.

Thank you for adding 'World Class' ... I didn't realise I had forgotten that.

For someone who is always beating the 'We are Liverpool, we exist to win trophies' drum, I would be very interested to see what you want to see happen in terms of In/Outs to get us to that point.

Why is every reply on here taken as a personal assault? I was JOKING!
We are always those players away from winnin gthe title. And we will never get them as long as Chelski and ManShitty and the scum and the arse all attract better players. Christ, even when we do get one who's any good they can't wait to fuck off.

Why is every reply on here taken as a personal assault? I was JOKING!
We are always those players away from winnin gthe title. And we will never get them as long as Chelski and ManShitty and the scum and the arse all attract better players. Christ, even when we do get one who's any good they can't wait to fuck off.

Ah ! Well that would be because without body language or tonal indicators (and smilies) it's not always easy to identify intent :D

However right you may be (and you are) with your second paragraph, we can get close, and even win it, as last season demonstrated. We had it but dropped the ball, it wasn't taken from us. It's a pity we took such a step back this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom