• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Reinforcements" in January...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season yes. Agreed. But one swallow doesn't make a summer.

12/13 - 3 goals, 4 assists in the league, so far.
11/12 - 8 goals, 8 assists in the league.
10/11 - 9 goals, 7 assists in the league.

Just imagine how good he'll be with Suarez.

Wenger has already said he's not letting him go in january and that he would rather let him go on a free in the summer.
That's Wengers view on the matter, the board might be rather more considered and realistic in their thoughts on the matter.

Re the Sturridge thing, clearly what happened was the clubs had agreed a loan deal, and Sturridge a willingness to come, he thought about it a bit and not unreasonably told both clubs he would go but only on a permanent deal. We did not have time and or 15m at hand and also had Ayres in charge, so it did not get done.
Vlads Verdict: People worry to much about players perceived shortcomings in personality, if we took any notice of that we would not have Luis. Sign Sturridge and don't fuck it up this time Mr Ayre.

regards

I like Rossi, but 2 very serious knee injuries is not good.

Bony is 23 and probably available for 8 mill.
Sign.

Dries Mertens will be expencive but is also the type of player we need.
Sign.

Rossi would be a risk so a loan signing with a fixed price purchase close at the end of the season would be ideal.

The problem with asking for players like Bony and Mertens is the amount of money required as you point out and whether we'll be able to attract them ahead of the likes of Chelsea.

I like Rossi, but 2 very serious knee injuries is not good.

Bony is 23 and probably available for 8 mill.
Sign.

Dries Mertens will be expencive but is also the type of player we need.
Sign.
These 2 along with Tadic and we are sorted .

His two previous season have been very good.
This year has started even better.

Rossi would be a risk so a loan signing with a fixed price purchase close at the end of the season would be ideal.

The problem with asking for players like Bony and Mertens is the amount of money required as you point out and whether we'll be able to attract them ahead of the likes of Chelsea.

I suppose the one thing that does go in our favour is potential playing time. Competition at the likes of City and Chelsea is tough

yeah i thought he was injured:

Giuseppe Rossi's agent says he could leave Villarreal in January despite being sidelined with a knee injury

By Nadia Carminati. Last Updated: November 14, 2012 5:32pm

• Share:​
Giuseppe_2623878.jpg

Giuseppe Rossi: Could still leave Villarreal in January, despite being injured, according to his agent

The agent of Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi has revealed the striker could leave the club in January but concedes he would be risky signing as he is still four months away from fitness.
The 25-year-old sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury in October 2011 and was initially expected to be out for six months.
However, he suffered another cruciate injury to the same knee last April that will keep him out until the spring.
Villarreal
spacer.gif
were relegated from La Liga
spacer.gif
in May and speculation has linked Rossi
spacer.gif
with a move away from El Madrigal ever since, with a return to Serie A his most likely destination.

His agent, Federico Pastorello, revealed that Rossi will not be fully recovered until March, meaning any club who tries to sign him in January will be taking a gamble on his fitness.
However, he also stated his confidence that the Italy international will return better than ever and therefore - in his eyes - is a risk well worth taking.
"Giuseppe is really charged. Whoever bets on him in January will do so with risk because he will be only fit again in March," Pastorello told Sky Italia.
"But it would be an investment based on the future. I'm sure in 2014 he will be the regular forward of the Italian National team.
"We stay calm, then we see what happens in January."

Broken, but potentially world class. I'd only sign him if he was a) cheap and b) accompanied by another good striker

Walcott has 9 goals and 6 assists in all competitons this season. How he has only started 3 league games I don't know

It's not a coincidence that he gets a lot of his goals and assists late in games after he's come off the bench.

He's quick, and is invariably coming up against tired full-backs. It's a clear tactic from Wenger which is working well. Unfortunately everyone see's it as a 'Wenger's rebuking him for not singing a contract blah blah blah'.

Daniel Sturridge in Liverpool's sights as Brendan Rodgers looks to bolster Anfield club's firepower

Liverpool have asked Chelsea about the availability of striker Daniel Sturridge, paving the way for a £15 million January transfer.

sturridge_2403650b.jpg

Striking impression: Daniel Sturridge (right) is a top target for Liverpool Photo: GETTY IMAGES

11:00PM GMT 19 Nov 2012

Brendan Rodgers is desperate for more ammunition to support Luis Suárez, and he has decided Sturridge fits the bill as he looks to correct the errors of the last transfer window.
The Merseyside club have opened talks early in an effort to secure a swift deal when business reopens on Jan 1. They are prepared to make a formal bid after exploring numerous options to ensure Rodgers is not left without a striker for the second half of the season.
Chelsea are likely to accept an offer as high as £15 million and if they sell Sturridge will seek to replace him with a fresh approach for Bayer Levekusen’s Andre Schurrle.
Liverpool tried to sign Sturridge last summer, but that was only on the basis of a season’s loan. Up until the final stages of the last transfer window, the club were still in negotiations but Chelsea rejected a temporary proposal. They were only interested in as much as £15 million to make the move permanent.
At that time, Rodgers was not entirely convinced he should spend so much on the 23 year-old, who joined Chelsea for just £3.5 million. He was not willing to take a deadline day gamble in August, but the Liverpool manager has reassessed the situation in the last few months.
RELATED ARTICLES
Sturridge also evidently fits the profile of Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, who have consistently made known their preference for signing players of international pedigree at a younger age.
One of the concerns Rodgers harboured last August was the former Manchester City striker publicly stated preference to play in a central role. Rodgers will hope to convince him the fluidity of his attacking formation will suit his game.
Since moving to Stamford Bridge in 2009, Sturridge has been unable to make himself a permanent fixture of the starting line-up under numerous managers.
After seeming to impress Andre Villas-Boas at the start of last season, he was relegated to the bench again when Roberto Di Matteo took over.
Sturridge has made no secret of his frustrations in west London since then and only last week he made it known how desperate he was to play more regularly — something which eludes him at Chelsea.
“It is difficult to judge me as a player and say my goalscoring record is this or that when I do not play regularly,” said Sturridge. “Not playing regularly is the most difficult thing for anyone to handle.”
Sturridge was first considered by Liverpool as a potential recruit two years ago when Fernando Torres moved to Chelsea.
He was mentioned in a possible swap deal in January 2010, but Liverpool decided they wanted a £50 million straight cash deal instead.
Liverpool return to action in the Europa League on Thursday with Rodgers having little option but to use Suárez against Young Boys of Switzerland.
Rodgers will be buoyed by the return of luckless midfielder Lucas, who is back in training and expected to rejoin the squad.
Lucas missed most of last season with a cruciate knee injury, and then suffered a serious thigh strain on his Anfield comeback against Manchester City in August.

how much is Andre Schurrle going to cost ? would we not be better off going for him ?

Is Sturridge worth 15m ? Well i should probably ask , for 15 m could we not find better ?

Sturridge yes please with Suarez wide left and Sterling wide right.

Why would you move the league's top goalscorer out of position to accomodate someone who has scored a grand total of 2 goals this season, and has never proven himself as a number 9 in his entire career?

alot of people are championing this idea of moving Suarez out wide . I guess it came from belief that he wasn't a natural striker or finisher . Well he's scoring all types of goals now and also plays a similar position for Uraguay so i would worry about changing too much . Just keep him doing what he's doing .

alot of people are championing this idea of moving Suarez out wide . I guess it came from belief that he wasn't a natural striker or finisher . Well he's scoring all types of goals now and also plays a similar position for Uraguay so i would worry about changing too much . Just keep him doing what he's doing .

I could understand the argument of moving Suarez out wide if:

- he wasn't banging in the fucking goals
- we were bringing in a top drawer number 9 to replace him

Neither are happening.

It's a retarded idea to move Suarez out wide to accommodate another striker. Have these people watched Liverpool this season? Watched Suarez's movement this season?
He torments defenses by going all over the pitch and doing his thing. To suggest we restrict his playing area is incomprehensible right now.

Why would you move the league's top goalscorer out of position to accomodate someone who has scored a grand total of 2 goals this season, and has never proven himself as a number 9 in his entire career?

I think he's better running at players from wide with Sturrudge always looked a more central striker to me. Suarez often gets overcrowded in the middle when on the ball a problem he wouldn't face as much out wide and lets face it playinh him anywhere he would be a goal threat.

I'm sure Sturridge would be same.

And did Sturridge not play up top for Bolton?

It's a retarded idea to move Suarez out wide to accommodate another striker. Have these people watched Liverpool this season? Watched Suarez's movement this season?
He torments defenses by going all over the pitch and doing his thing. To suggest we restrict his playing area is incomprehensible right now.

I don't think it would restrict him at all and I think he does alot of his damage from wide positions because as you say yourself he goes all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom