• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Reinforcements" in January...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it DOES restrict him.
Look how much work our wide players are doing in our own half while Suarez buzzes around close to the halfway line, ready for a counter attack.
Him going out wide for our attacks have nothing to do with it.
Putting him wide means he'll be required to do the dirty work. Why would you want the hottest striker in the league to suddenly be put in a position where he's guaranteed to score less goals?

Alright straw poll;

Who thinks paying 15M for Daniel Sturridge and sticking him up front and moving Luis Suarez out to the left to accommodate him is something we should do?

I was in fact arguing for moving Suarez out wide earlier in the season. But now I would probably keep him where he is.

Doesn't mean he can't be effective out wide as well. I suspect when he is in such good form, he would score goals from any attacking position. But, like Ryan pointed out, unless we are bringing someone like Cavani in January, it's not worth the risk to start messing with something that's been working so well.

As for Sturridge, I am with RedZepellin. If it's a winger we're after, why not buy a real winger/striker like Schurrle instead a striker that's going to need to be convinced to play out wide? Bayer rejected a 16 million pound bid for Schurrle, but they would probably sell for around 18-20 million. Especially if Chelsea buy Falcao instead (which looks very likely).

I've never been a fan of Sturridge and I'd only move Suarez if we got a world class striker.

But it DOES restrict him.
Look how much work our wide players are doing in our own half while Suarez buzzes around close to the halfway line, ready for a counter attack.
Him going out wide for our attacks have nothing to do with it.
Putting him wide means he'll be required to do the dirty work. Why would you want the hottest striker in the league to suddenly be put in a position where he's guaranteed to score less goals?

That's a fair point but I think Sturridge would do a more thn capable job up top of scoring goals and linking play, while 2 wide men of Suarez and Sterling would hugely outweight Sterling and Borini/Enrique/Assadi/Suso/Downing/Anyone else.

What we would take away from Suarez up top we would get back double for the team. Sturridge has said a number of times he wants to play central and not out wide so bringing him in and sticking him out wide makes little sense.

I was in fact arguing for moving Suarez out wide earlier in the season. But now I would probably keep him where he is.

Doesn't mean he can't be effective out wide as well. I suspect when he is in such good form, he would score goals from any attacking position. But, like Ryan pointed out, unless we are bringing someone like Cavani in January, it's not worth the risk to start messing with something that's been working so well.

As for Sturridge, I am with RedZepellin. If it's a winger we're after, why not buy a real winger/striker like Schurrle instead a striker that's going to need to be convinced to play out wide? Bayer rejected a 16 million pound bid for Schurrle, but they would probably sell for around 18-20 million. Especially if Chelsea buy Falcao instead (which looks very likely).

As a front 6 we haven't been working well at all. And the point is we are trying to improve that because the days that Suarez has an off game or only get 1 goal we usually lose or draw. We need to improve our attacking as a team even if this means taking away from Suarez a little because right now our league position he can't do it all on his own.

That's a fair point but I think Sturridge would do a more thn capable job up top of scoring goals and linking play, while 2 wide men of Suarez and Sterling would hugely outweight Sterling and Borini/Enrique/Assadi/Suso/Downing/Anyone else.

What we would take away from Suarez up top we would get back double for the team. Sturridge has said a number of times he wants to play central and not out wide so bringing him in and sticking him out wide makes little sense.
Who's the better striker? Suarez or Sturridge?
Why not keep the best striker in the league in his most effective position and simply buy better wide forwards?
Why buy an inferior striker just to put the superior one out of position?

They will swap positions during the game anyway so meh.

We'd be overpaying if we spend 15M on Sturridge. He's not worth that right now.

Once again you'd have to say we can get better value for money outside of England.

While Suarez is on his goal scoring spree, he should continue to play in the centre. However, let's remember also that he was scoring a goal every 10 or more shots before Everton, and in the 1.5 seasons he had under Kenny. So we have to be careful in understanding if he's really turned it around, or just in a purple patch right now.

So in case it's just a flash in the pan, I'd still prefer we went out and got a good central striker who can pull out wide if needed, so we could play him or Suarez in the middle depending on form and availability.

Not convinced that Sturridge or Walcott are answers in the middle - I think they're overestimating themselves as central strikers and will find matching up day-in day-out against tall, imposing, physical centrebacks showering them with attention a lot different to bursting into space behind fullbacks. They're good players for upgrading our wide right spot though.

Sturridge has been playing wide for Chelsea and is wasted out there.
When he went to Bolton he was played centrally and was excellent.

Moving Suarez is retarded, so I'd rather buy a goalscoring left forward to accomodate him, like Mertens.
Then buying someone like Bony who doesnt expect to be a first teamer right away for the striker role.

Keep Suarez where he is (whatever position that maybe, he is almost everywhere in front!) and if Sturridge does come and will disturb Suarez's effectiveness, why buy? No, our team must be built around Suarez.

I'm not against us adding Sturridge to the squad however question what he has done for Chelsea to warrant the 15m fee quoted this morning when he cost them 3.5m.

Suarez is on fire right now. Moving him out wide is just retarded. That's the mistake slur ginsoak made with Rooney. He was scoring goals for fun but because he could play other positions he started shifting him around and he's never been the same striker since. Suarez likes it in the middle. It gives him the freedom to roam around without having to focus on tracking back and just try and hurt teams. Lets leave him there.

Anyway Rodgers said he wants players to play off Suarez, so that says to me he's planning on keeping Suarez in the middle.

I'm not against us adding Sturridge to the squad however question what he has done for Chelsea to warrant the 15m fee quoted this morning when he cost them 3.5m.
Plus he has 18 months left on his contract.

simply put, our fluid attacking front 3 doesn't mean if we buy a front man suarez will be moved. Sturridge could easily drift in

When he was 3.5 he was potential, and most 3.5 players moving to a big club fail. His situation is derisked 4/1.

The 3.5 was because of the free transfer though. He would have cost a shitload if he was still under contract

I'd like Zaha he has amazing skills and now finally has an end product to his skills. Would be worth the £20m IMO.

I'd much rather have walcott to be honest, unless sturridge would be content in waiting around until suarez is rested/banned

So Dreamy, just to highlight that this isn't a 'You Vs Me' issue - I offered up your 'Sturridge for 15M to take Suarez's position' idea to the site for their thoughts.

Not one person on this site thought it was a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom