• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spurs vs Liverpool (15/09/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be an interesting tactical battle. By nature Pochettino is not drawn to performing tactical circus acts, he generally prefers to rely on one solid basic system with small tweaks game by game – but in recent few months due to various factors he has been forced into a lot of experiments: switching between back 3 and back 4, tinkering with Alli's and Dier's positions, trying Moura as a 2nd striker with Kane almost at #10 etc. Against Watford he had the back 3 play very narrow to combat the threat of 2 centre-forwards and this negatively affected the Spurs' own build-up.

As for Klopp, I don't think this is the right game for him to make radical changes to formation or personnel – with players coming back from an international break and still building up fitness, form and continuity are key. Spurs should be the ones to try to figure out how to defend against us. I think it's more likely they will go for a back 3 and try to catch us on the counter with Moura's pace – counterintuitively I feel they will try to target Van Dijk since he's been a little sloppy in the last couple of games. We will surely retain the usual 4-3-3 and with back 5 and front 3 picking themselves, only midfield merits any kind of discussion.

One trend I noticed lately is that Wijnaldum and Hendo generally don't play well together. Gini seems to be an introverted type who goes into his shell when paired with an over-active "cover-every-blade-of-grass" partner like Henderson. Against Leicester, he completed only 30 passes in 90 minutes, letting Hendo completely dominate the playmaking responsibilities – whereas when paired with Can last season Gini would usually be the one stringing moves together and carrying the ball and that's where he was at his best. It's interesting that Milner doesn't seem to have the same kind of negative effect on Wijnaldum, possibly because he tends to play more on the wings and Gini is quite good at filling in the gaps.

So with this in mind, it would make sense for me to select a midfield 3 with either Hendo and Gini, but not both. Milner is a 100% starter, I think, based on his early-season form and I really hope Keita can bounce back from 2 rather ordinary performances and make a statement in our first "big" game of the season. Keeping the PSG game in mind, where I would like to see Fabinho and Gini together, I would start Hendo against Spurs and let him battle it out against his England teammates and rivals like Dier. As for the front 3, I would like to see Salah and Mane, particularly Salah, to play wider in this game and try to use their threat to pin back their wing-backs, which would make Spurs' formation more like 5-3-2 and rob them of width and supply lines for Kane.

4-3-3:
---------------------Alisson--------------------
------------Gomez-----Van Dijk-------------
Trent--------------Hendo--------Robertson
-----------Milner----------Keita---------------
---Salah----------Firmino--------Mane-----

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Moreno, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Sturridge

Last edited:
.................. I would like to see Salah and Mane, particularly Salah, to play wider in this game and try to use their threat to pin back their wing-backs, which would make Spurs' formation more like 5-3-2 and rob them of width and supply lines for Kane.

4-3-3:

Absolutely agree with the team. However I don't think that playing Salah and Mane wider is necessarily a good thing vs. Spurs. Especially if they are playing 3 at the back. TAA and Robbo should keep Trippier and Davies/Rose busy (and vice versa). We want to pressure that 3 at the back, if I'm not wrong then we tend to do well against teams playing 3, it gives Salah and Mane especially more room to play / run at the defenders, rather than with a 4/5 with their FBs hanging back.

This will be an interesting tactical battle. By nature Pochettino is not drawn to performing tactical circus acts, he generally prefers to rely on one solid basic system with small tweaks game by game – but in recent few months due to various factors he has been forced into a lot of experiments: switching between back 3 and back 4, tinkering with Alli's and Dier's positions, trying Moura as a 2nd striker with Kane almost at #10 etc. Against Watford he had the back 3 play very narrow to combat the threat of 2 centre-forwards and this negatively affected the Spurs' own build-up.

As for Klopp, I don't think this is the right game for him to make radical changes to formation or personnel – with players coming back from an international break and still building up fitness, form and continuity are key. Spurs should be the ones to try to figure out how to defend against us. I think it's more likely they will go for a back 3 and try to catch us on the counter with Moura's pace – counterintuitively I feel they will try to target Van Dijk since he's been a little sloppy in the last couple of games. We will surely retain the usual 4-3-3 and with back 5 and front 3 picking themselves, only midfield merits any kind of discussion.

One trend I noticed lately is that Wijnaldum and Hendo generally don't play well together. Gini seems to be an introverted type who goes into his shell when paired with an over-active "cover-every-blade-of-grass" partner like Henderson. Against Leicester, he completed only 30 passes in 90 minutes, letting Hendo completely dominate the playmaking responsibilities – whereas when paired with Can last season Gini would usually be the one stringing moves together and carrying the ball and that's where he was at his best. It's interesting that Milner doesn't seem to have the same kind of negative effect on Wijnaldum, possibly because he tends to play more on the wings and Gini is quite good at filling in the gaps.

So with this in mind, it would make sense for me to select a midfield 3 with either Hendo and Gini, but not both. Milner is a 100% starter, I think, based on his early-season form and I really hope Keita can bounce back from 2 rather ordinary performances and make a statement in our first "big" game of the season. Keeping the PSG game in mind, where I would like to see Fabinho and Gini together, I would start Hendo against Spurs and let him battle it out against his England teammates and rivals like Dier. As for the front 3, I would like to see Salah and Mane, particularly Salah, to play wider in this game and try to use their threat to pin back their wing-backs, which would make Spurs' formation more like 5-3-2 and rob them of width and supply lines for Kane.

4-3-3:

I’m ok with that as long as Henderson, in that position, stops passing the ball back whence it comes.

I’m ok with that as long as Henderson, in that position, stops passing the ball back whence it comes.
It's a viable tactic in matches where teams sit deep to draw them out, however that shouldn't be a problem vs Spurs since their pressing stats are even more impressive than ours. This is a game where we want our technically proficient midfield / defensive players on the ball and able to withstand pressure without losing possession.

Should be made for the likes of Naby and Gini but less so Hendo. Does anyone remember how Hendo played against them last season ?

It's a viable tactic in matches where teams sit deep to draw them out, however that shouldn't be a problem vs Spurs since their pressing stats are even more impressive than ours. This is a game where we want our technically proficient midfield / defensive players on the ball and able to withstand pressure without losing possession.

Should be made for the likes of Naby and Gini but less so Hendo. Does anyone remember how Hendo played against them last season ?
Here's the match thread:
http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/index.php?threads/tottenham-v-liverpool-match-thread.109283/

Knock yourself out.

It was a shite game, Can and Lovren were fucking awful, the team was in general. Klopp set us up wrong from the word go. Let's hope he's learned his lesson and doesn't think that because we now have the added pace at the back, it somehow still affords us to gamble on a high line, when they can easily rip through us.

This won't be an easy game, regardless of their injuries, you've still got Kane, Eriksen, Moura and co.

Anyway....

-------------Allison-------------
TAA---Gomez--VVD-Robbo
--------Milner----Gini----------
--------------Keita--------------
--Shaqiri---Salah---Mane--

It was a shite game, Can and Lovren were fucking awful, the team was in general. Klopp set us up wrong from the word go. Let's hope he's learned his lesson and doesn't think that because we now have the added pace at the back, it somehow still affords us to gamble on a high line, when they can easily rip through us.

This won't be an easy game, regardless of their injuries, you've still got Kane, Eriksen, Moura and co.
If we don’t have a high line, that would destroy the way we play. So I’m almost certain we’ll play the Klopp style. We’re useless when defenders start sitting back, and our high press is there to stop players like Eriksen from doing what they want.
High risk high reward is the Klopp style, and I think we should go ahead with it.
We can’t use last year’s freak game as a reference.

Im at the train station and no trains are running. If this aint delayed it will be half empty

Agree that we'll still play a high line. However we look so much more comfortable playing a high line in possession or defending the ball since we last played spurs.

As nervous as this game makes me, it's more due to the fact it comes after an international break & as an early kick off, because I think if we'd have played them during that four game run, or during the next little run I'd have been way more confident.

It's that lack of cohesion & spark that with seem to miss after the international breaks combined with the malaise we so often show in early kick offs that is the main worry for me, rather than the fact it's spurs.

Spurs haven't started well either this season. I feel this game is as equally likely to show two swashbuckling attacking sides put on a performance as it is two sides just trying to do the bare minimum to get the points whilst trying not to lose, depending how the match starts.

No trains are running? At all?

WTF? Is it snowing in that there London or is there a terror threat or something?

If we don’t have a high line, that would destroy the way we play. So I’m almost certain we’ll play the Klopp style. We’re useless when defenders start sitting back, and our high press is there to stop players like Eriksen from doing what they want.
High risk high reward is the Klopp style, and I think we should go ahead with it.
We can’t use last year’s freak game as a reference.

That's not really what I meant. Against Spurs last season, Lovren was instructed to attack the play in front of Matip and to go and stop the first ball, which is why we kept getting exposed, because he was having one of those games where he was just too rash, diving in all over the place. We pushed really high and got repeatedly exposed because of it. Ideally, Can should have been the one sat infront of Matip and Lovren, attacking the first ball. The tactics were inexplicable. Can was awful and just taken completely out of the equation by Lovren pushing out from the back.

I know we'll play a high line, but its got to be compact when needed and well protected by the midfield not getting bypassed. If we play on the halfway line like we did last season we'll get exposed again if we lose possession. The one thing going for us is that we have pace at the back now and more technically able players (as opposed to Matip, Lovren & Moreno (and Gomez playing right back), as they were all prone to switching off and gifting possession and not really holding their positions.

We'll see, it's an interesting one either way.

I'd like today to be a scrappy 1-0 win, with a dodgy dive to win a pen in the 95th minute

You know, because I'm a cunt and fuck 'em

I'm in Majorca Spain at the moment, the match doesn't start till 13.30 here so please no one tell me the score..

Ta! [emoji6]

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino.
Subs: Mignolet, Fabinho, Henderson, Sturridge, Moreno, Shaqiri, Matip.

Poch has gone back to 433. Brought back in rose to counter salah pace. Same trick he did at old toilet to beat manure.

My main worry is wijnaldum away from home.

.........................This is a game where we want our technically proficient midfield / defensive players on the ball and able to withstand pressure without losing possession.

Should be made for the likes of Naby and Gini but less so Hendo.
Good one Klopp.

Big call going to Spurs without a DM (of sorts) though. I guess Milner and Gini will be quicker on the break in terms of turning defense into attack. Milner's been ace anyway.
Gini has played there before (this season) and he's far better, technically adept, than Hendo so that's a really positive selection by Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom