• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling Deal Complete: 49 million (44 + 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two phrases that will ensure that, while you might not endear yourself to the media, you'll avoid most of their attempts to make you look like a twat. One is: 'It's none of my business'. The other is: 'It's none of your business'.

He is fighting for his credibility and rumours circulating that he was the reason behind Sterling leaving, Rodgers obviously felt he needed to quash. Rightly or wrongly.

Yeah, but put the club first and keep that shit brief and matter of fact.

Do we really need to be saying how fantastic I
he is and how we've developed him into an international?

I agree with others, it makes us sound small-time.

Everyone knows how he and Ward have carried on, he's not fantastic and great, we've developed a top class player and had a club we like to think of as a rival (in our delusions) take him off our hands with a thanks very much.

Is it nit-picking? Absolutely, but the club and Rodgers are in a very delicate position at the moment and they can and should be doing better when it comes to the simple stuff at least.

The are very few players who have left us that i haven't then regarded as the enemy. It all depends on how you performed while you were with us and the manner of your departure. Needless to say Sterling is now dead to me.
For others it's quite the opposite. The likes of Kuyt, Luis Garcia, Fowler,Bellamy, Hamann and Barnes I've got nothing but affection for. Maybe it's because they treated the club with respect before and after they left.
Whereas there are plenty of players who i wish only bad luck on. Torres,Mascherano,Suarez,Collymore,Owen,Diouf, all acted like a cunt either to get a transfer away from us or bad mouthed us when they had left. Also anyone who after they have left appears in the a paper under the headline 'My Anfield Hell' they can fuck off too.

I think times were different then. Very few players left us for 'better things'. Most if not all in our glory days went after they were deemed surplus to requirements and we'd had their best years out of them. And this was backed up by our continued success. Souness and Keegan went because the money they were offered was life-changing at the time. Now players leave us regularly for 'better things' because we are a stepping stone to those 'better things'. It sucks balls.

Yeah, but put the club first and keep that shit brief and matter of fact.

Do we really need to be saying how fantastic I
he is and how we've developed him into an international?

I agree with others, it makes us sound small-time.

Everyone knows how he and Ward have carried on, he's not fantastic and great, we've developed a top class player and had a club we like to think of as a rival (in our delusions) take him off our hands with a thanks very much.

Is it nit-picking? Absolutely, but the club and Rodgers are in a very delicate position at the moment and they can and should be doing better when it comes to the simple stuff at least.

I pretty much agree. But I also see why Rodgers felt like he had to make it clear Sterling didn't leave because of him. As I say, rightly or wrongly.

I pretty much agree. But I also see why Rodgers felt like he had to make it clear Sterling didn't leave because of him. As I say, rightly or wrongly.

You do that with an off-the-record briefing, which then comes out as 'sources close to Rodgers' or 'club insiders'. That way the manager can be seen to rise above it in his interviews whilst making sure whatever he wants out there gets out there.

You do that with an off-the-record briefing, which then comes out as 'sources close to Rodgers' or 'club insiders'. That way the manager can be seen to rise above it in his interviews whilst making sure whatever he wants out there gets out there.

Yep, agreed.

But Rodgers is an egomaniac.

People really do read too much into his interviews, there's always going to be something there if you look for it. We handled it in a dignified way, he maybe tried to stress too hard that there wasn't an issue, but people are seriously, unsurprisingly, blowing it out of proportion.

It's getting really fucking boring now.

marky mark, I disagree. I don't want my manager to be friends with him after he was done. I want the manager to get the boot in, in a classy way. Like with Fernando.

Way too nice, and I don't want to hear the word "relationship" in a discussion of our selling of Sterling.

marky mark, I disagree. I don't want my manager to be friends with him after he was done. I want the manager to get the boot in, in a classy way. Like with Fernando.

Way too nice, and I don't want to hear the word "relationship" in a discussion of our selling of Sterling.

So what do we do? Sound bitter about it? Everything is a bit civilised now, because he (Sterling) knew there would be a backlash from our fans (even more so), it's all just play at the minute. He says nice things about us, we say adios and get on with things. It'll come out, he'll have a few digs about how big a club City are etc (he already has actually, a few days back) and we'll retaliate with snide stuff.

I agree Rodgers doesn't always get it right, he tries too hard. But guess what, that's what happens when people are dissecting his comments and putting digs in at every opportunity, he can't do right for doing wrong, so he tries hard to get his point across, too hard.

And for all this bullshit about the press not being his friend (which his critics on here have suggested a few times), he's had a fairly easy ride from them. For how much they supposedly hate him, they were all on the story about him going to City a few months back and how City were wanting a young promising manager to take over, they were all backing him. I don't see many hacks calling us stupid for sticking with him.

People have agenda's and paint things how they want to paint it, whatever suits their relative stance. So I guess people will say the same of me. Look around, the people ripping into his comments today are Macca, Ryan etc. Not exactly a coincidence that they are two of his biggest critics, it's the same elsewhere in other threads, Jono, Sean, two more of his biggest detractors, constantly searching for an angle to shoot him down from.

It's like when that Moo guy posted earlier in the Summer about wanting us to start the season shite and be on the ropes by October so we can get shut of him. Then these guys are posting in threads about "what we've become". They should take a look in the fucking mirror.

I tend to side with Mark, a manager will never win a lot of the time, but Keni is also right. He's more likely to get it right if he keeps a few rules in mind.

Drop all personal shit.
Speak as a representative of the club and not an individual.
Defend the club when required and remain dignified and private where possible.
Ignore small time accusations and digs.

So what do we do? Sound bitter about it? Everything is a bit civilised now, because he (Sterling) knew there would be a backlash from our fans (even more so), it's all just play at the minute. He says nice things about us, we say adios and get on with things. It'll come out, he'll have a few digs about how big a club City are etc (he already has actually, a few days back) and we'll retaliate with snide stuff.

I agree Rodgers doesn't always get it right, he tries too hard. But guess what, that's what happens when people are dissecting his comments and putting digs in at every opportunity, he can't do right for doing wrong, so he tries hard to get his point across, too hard.

And for all this bullshit about the press not being his friend (which his critics on here have suggested a few times), he's had a fairly easy ride from them. For how much they supposedly hate him, they were all on the story about him going to City a few months back and how City were wanting a young promising manager to take over, they were all backing him. I don't see many hacks calling us stupid for sticking with him.

People have agenda's and paint things how they want to paint it, whatever suits their relative stance. So I guess people will say the same of me. Look around, the people ripping into his comments today are Macca, Ryan etc. Not exactly a coincidence that they are two of his biggest critics, it's the same elsewhere in other threads, Jono, Sean, two more of his biggest detractors, constantly searching for an angle to shoot him down from.

It's like when that Moo guy posted earlier in the Summer about wanting us to start the season shite and be on the ropes by October so we can get shut of him. Then these guys are posting in threads about "what we've become". They should take a look in the fucking mirror.

I just don't want to hear br has a great relationship with the kid. I'd rather hear he was very disappointed in how he handled himself; he was an arse, and he should be dead to us. thats my final word.

I just don't want to hear br has a great relationship with the kid. I'd rather hear he was very disappointed in how he handled himself; he was an arse, and he should be dead to us. thats my final word.

Have you thought about not listening or switching off?

I don't access the Pressers as it's always about journos trying to get under the skin and therefore always irritating at some level.

Wait for the games and then fulminate or adore depending on the result.

Raheem Sterling regrets manner of Liverpool exit

Last Updated: 18/07/15 12:50pm

Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4zMDoxOjA4MTs5wR

Raheem Sterling told Fox Sports in Australia that he is unhappy with how his exit from Liverpool was handled.
Raheem Sterling says he is disappointed with how he left Liverpool.
The England international completed a £49m move to Manchester City this week but was criticised for the way the transfer came about.
Sterling rejected a contract extension with Liverpool and he and his agent Aidy Ward publicly stated the player's desire not to sign a new deal at Anfield.

As City's interest emerged, Sterling then missed two days of pre-season training due to illness and reportedly told Reds boss Brendan Rodgers he didn't want to play for him or go on the club's pre-season tour.
"I was a bit disappointed how I left," Sterling said ahead of Man City's friendly with Melbourne City.
"That was the main problem I've had with the situation - how I've left it with Liverpool.
"I'm good with everyone at the football club, the manager, the players and I wish them well for the new season.
"But it was really disappointing how it did finish off."
raheem-sterling-manchester-city_3325263.jpg

Sterling completed his Man City move this week (Pic courtesy of City TV)
However, Sterling says he was determined to join City as soon as he knew they were targeting him.
The 20-year-old linked up with his new team-mates on their pre-season tour in Australia and is adamant he's made the right move.
"From the first moment I heard City were interested in me [I wanted to join], purely because of the direction the football club is going in," he said.
"I've met all my team-mates now and it's been a really good few days, they've made me feel welcome and I'm really happy to be here. I think I made the right decision."
raheem-sterling-man-city_3326657.jpg

Raheem Sterling watched Manchester City beat Melbourne City 1-0
Sterling is also confident he will be able to cope with the pressure his large price tag will bring - and has his heart set on winning trophies in his first season with City.
"As a footballer playing in the Premier League for such big clubs you're always going to have pressure but you just have to deal with that and take it in your stride," he said.
"I've got my own personal goals - assist ambitions - and hopefully doing really well for this football club and trying to get trophies."

It's a continuation of those cringemaking "thanks" he offered everybody at LFC when he finally got his way, and bears the hoofprints of that fat waster Ward, trying somehow to salvage something from the PR wreckage resulting from the way the two of them have handled the whole business.

I ended up feeling sorry for Torres because he clearly knew he'd made a horrendous mistake as soon as he left, and I don't believe much of what was said about the way Masher went because a lot of it came from that gibbering old liar Hodgson. This little guttersnipe is worse than either of them IMO.

I think the tour of Australia is going to remove any illusions he had that this would all be over once the deal went through. We have a massive following over here and he is going to get endless abuse. Its going to continue right through the season once he gets back to England too, hes put a target on his back now and hes going to have a very hard time living it down. He doesnt strike me as the Ronaldo/Suarez type that genuinely dont give a fuck if people like them, I think he will struggle with it. I can see him needing another one of his holidays to Jamaica by November

I watched his first interview with man city TV or whatever it was as it was on the beeb.

Ive got to say out of all of the footballers I've heard speak, he sounded the most neanderthal like. He could barely string a sentence together. Im sure I'd seen him interview at aleast the standard footballer level but maybe not.

It's still on the bbc sport site, check it out..

I watched his first interview with man city TV or whatever it was as it was on the beeb.

Ive got to say out of all of the footballers I've heard speak, he sounded the most neanderthal like. He could barely string a sentence together. Im sure I'd seen him interview at aleast the standard footballer level but maybe not.

It's still on the bbc sport site, check it out..
I was going to post it on here the other day because I thought the exact same, it was absolutely dire, painful and cringe worthy to watch. The bit about his mum thinking he looked good in blue was the icing, doesn't sound there should be much wrong with him saying that, but it was so cringe worthy watching it, the kid clearly has zero media skills.

I was going to post it on here the other day because I thought the exact same, it was absolutely dire, painful and cringe worthy to watch. The bit about his mum thinking he looked good in blue was the icing, doesn't sound there should be much wrong with him saying that, but it was so cringe worthy watching it, the kid clearly has zero media skills.
He's certainly not a natural in front of the camera.

You would've thought they schooled him a little before they started filming.

Leaving to win trophies at 20 is a bit cowardly and only an idiot who has no beleif in himself will actually beleive that at that age.

He can get fucked...i dont give a shit about him now...but he really is a thick twat isnt he?

Have you thought about not listening or switching off?

I don't access the Pressers as it's always about journos trying to get under the skin and therefore always irritating at some level.

Wait for the games and then fulminate or adore depending on the result.

I don't watch them. I just go by the accounts here :)

I think RedStar makes a good point - all my footy mates (even Chavs) think Sterling is the biggest cunt and went way too far. He's going to be amongst the most hated players in the game (until other fans forget and move on). How will he deal with that? Will Pellegrini shield him? If he doesn't take a week long vacation like Rodgers let him, how will he deal with the longer schedule? He's in for a tough time.

A few good games and it will be forgotten.

I doubt it - many fans see what he did as what's wrong with the game ... Why will they care if he plays well? They booed him against Ireland, they booed him in Australia ... He's got a tough road ahead me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom