• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling Deal Complete: 49 million (44 + 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar thing happened last summer when people (on here) were justifying the £25 million lallana transfer by stating we had **only** paid 17 million up front.

He'll be at City for at least 3 seasons and will play for them at least 100 times.

He moved because they are challenging for trophies. And they definitely will be for the foreseeable future. So he'll be there for the foreseeable future.

He doesn't strike me as a malcontent. Just a guy who wants medals and is prepared to go wherever to get them.

...which made him a malcontent at LFC when they didn't come fast enough to satisfy his vanity. A £180,000 weekly wage from Citeh won't have made his choice any harder either. He may well be there for at least 3 seasons, but his racking up 100 games I'm a lot less sure about.

Similar thing happened last summer when people (on here) were justifying the £25 million lallana transfer by stating we had **only** paid 17 million up front.

Well that made more sense - there's not much he's going to do to make any add-ons viable. That's why, as I said back in the day when everyone thought add-ons were absolutely brilliant, there's no point in them unless they involve a young kid who has it all still to do.

Did anyone think add-ons were absolutely brilliant? I think people include add ons to trick themselves into thinking the total transfer fee is better than once thought.

I agree that add ons are fairly pointless for already established player though.

Were the add ons the tipping point for some people?

They make fuck all difference in the grand scheme of things. If the difference between 47.5m (which we'll definitely get) and 50m was the difference between whether you were happy with deal then.... well I don't really know what to say.

We got at minimum about 15m more than hes worth either way.

It's like complaining that when Kate Beckinsale gave you head, she didn't tickle your balls too.

We're the add ons the tipping point for some people?

I would rather the 4 million than have it tied up in hypothetical add ons. We don't actually know the official add ons here so I can't comment on the Sterling deal.

I'd rather add ons that trigger if/when a players plays x amount of games. An add on that isn't tied to his club winning but limited to individual goals. I doubt the buying club are willing to offer basic add ons but once again I'm not privy to the contract so don't know really.

People seem to be ignoring the fact that there was only one bidder. The club's choice was either to keep him with all attendant baggage or get the best possible fee in a one horse race. They did pretty well in monetary terms in my opinion.

The concerns about how this deal might make us look to the rest of football certainly seem to have been off beam. As far as I can tell, everybody who's commented has said we got the better end of the bargain.

...which made him a malcontent at LFC when they didn't come fast enough to satisfy his vanity. A £180,000 weekly wage from Citeh won't have made his choice any harder either. He may well be there for at least 3 seasons, but his racking up 100 games I'm a lot less sure about.

The add-ons are tied to the STARTS, not simply games, correct? That's the problem, it a team like City even star players who are in their prime don't get to start every game and Sterling is still young and somewhat inconsistent.

Then, we'll see I guess. I think Sterling will be at City for years. And do very well for them.

And I don't think he's a malcontent. But I guess we'll see on that front, too.

Rodgers on Sterling's exit

Sterling thanked Rodgers in a statement released upon joining City and the Liverpool boss took the chance to insist rumours of a rift between the two were false, describing Sterling as a "wonderful" player to work with.

“There were lots of reports about him and I not speaking, and falling out and that's never been further than the truth,” Rodgers added.

“This is a kid I put into the team at 17 years of age. A wonderful talent and from that point on, him and I worked together very closely. There was obviously stories going about towards the end but it's done with now.

“We were texting each other yesterday. Our communication is fine. We had a long chat about his journey before we left on the Sunday in the office. I thought by the time we got back he would probably be gone. He was a wonderful young kid for me.”

Rodgers handed Sterling his first competitive start at the beginning of the 2012/13 season. The Jamaican-born England international would go on to make 123 appearances and score 29 goals for the Reds.

“We can all hold our heads up high at Liverpool knowing that we put absolutely everything into him and his development,” said Rodgers.
“He came out of the youth team and became a fully-fledged international footballer.

“The supporters gave him all the support and nurtured him through. He decided to move on. Now he's a Manchester City player and we'll focus on the players we have here.”

Hopefully the few pressers so far are the standard for Rodgers. Less talking and more to the point.

FB_IMG_1437068496580.jpg

They make fuck all difference in the grand scheme of things. If the difference between 47.5m (which we'll definitely get) and 50m was the difference between whether you were happy with deal then.... well I don't really know what to say.

It's like complaining that when Kate Beckinsale gave you head, she didn't tickle your balls too.
Really? She did for me.

Sorry for your troubles

Depends on whether she did that whole gagging and choking deep throaty thing or not though

Rodgers on Sterling's exit

“We can all hold our heads up high at Liverpool knowing that we put absolutely everything into him and his development,” said Rodgers.
“He came out of the youth team and became a fully-fledged international footballer.

I dunno why but that entire article, especially that line, really irritates me.

Yep. Like he's saying come here to the future stars but also we'll let you go for fat stacks if we get a good offer
Well at least that might mean the best prospects in the world might want to join us.
We can always change their opinion in the future by actually winning stuff.

let's be honest, whatever he says he'll get a shoeing. What were his alternatives?

"We did everything we could to make him stay" - I'm sure there will be those who beg to differ

"Sterling and his agent have been a disgrace" - he'd be called classless

"I'm sorry to see him go, the money is good for an emerging 20 year old though" - we'd be accused of lacking ambition.

No offense, but it's the same posters looking to have a go as soon as he opens his mouth, that much has been obvious for weeks when you were all going on about him not saying anything over the Summer, like you were all fucking itching to jump on him. It'll be the same when the season starts, can't wait for the first ball to be kicked so you can slate him if we get beat.

Sad times.

You can probably read that in the way you want. Dont agree about it being a small time club mind.

It can also mean that we give youth a chance if you're good enough.
In those 3 years Raheem went from a youth player to an England starter.
As a young player I'd be quite impressed by that.

The texting part shouldnt be mentioned. Rodgers and Sterlings future relationship means fuck all for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom