• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling has rejected a second contract offer from Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see where Sterling is coming from in regards to demanding more money.

Odegaard has achieved absolute fuck all when it comes to club football at yet he is 17 & earning a reported 50k per week.

When you look at that & then compare it to Sterling's breakout season + English NT regular + 1 WC campaign ... I can see why he thinks the reported 75k p/w offer is low.

They're going to make a big fuss and drag this on for months. Then the day after the summer transfer window closes after signing fuck all they will announce both Hendo and Sterling resigning so that we will be ever so pleased.

As I've mentioned previously, signing up Coutinho was crucial given that the negotiations here haven't been smooth. With Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge all signed up till at least 2019, we should not be caught out too badly should things really look hopeless and we're compelled to sell him in the summer. Gerrard's and Aldridge's statements about needing to sign Sterling aren't helping the club as it puts the weight of inking the deal (or the blame for the delay) all on the club; Carra has come out against Sterling's agent(s) before that though.

There's another important deal to be done (arguably more important if we can't break the impasse with Sterling's camp soon) and that's the contract for Ibe. If I'm not wrong, he signed his first professional contract with us around the end of 2012. If it's a 4.5-year deal, it will run out at the same time as Sterling's. Hope we aren't taking our eye off this one, as he's another one of those to add to the list who can help cushion Sterling's departure (if it happens).
Now's a great time to be offering a long term deal to Ibe, as it'll be relatively cheap.
Should have got Sterling to sign a 6 year deal last time round.

To only offer 70k is myopic, so is the outstanding for a young player comment from Rodgers.

We're not paying him for what he's done already, contracts aren't a reward.

Sterling is pissing me off. Club saying he has turned down second deal. Who does he think he is. 8 goals this season does not warrant you top earner status. He is 20 FFS. Footy players are twats these days. Sell him. Liverpool bigger than him.

FSG are obviously keeping a very beady eye on what we offer and, though there's an obvious risk involved, in principle I reckon they're right to do so. We aren't yet at the stage where we can do a ManUre and offer a player - any player - Monopoly wages without a second thought to the knock-on effects that might have throughout the club's wage structure. We may yet end up giving Sterling more than we currently want to, but IMO the club are right not just to fold straight away on this.

Sterling is pissing me off. Club saying he has turned down second deal. Who does he think he is. 8 goals this season does not warrant you top earner status. He is 20 FFS. Footy players are twats these days. Sell him. Liverpool bigger than him.

What if you change "8 goals this season" with 2nd top goalscorer (1st from open play)?

And at 20 years old he's become so crucial to his team that before his mini break he'd played more minutes than anyone else in the league (I think that was said anyways).

His age and all the footy players today stuff is irrelevant. The facts are that he is a top tier talent who is currently indispensable to his club and playing in the richest league in the world. His people know they're in a very strong position to get a great contract for him.

We have placed Sterling as our most important player this season, so he should be paid as such, despite his age.

He's also worth about 50m, so again, we should pay him as if he's worth that.

We should be offering at least 100k, and tying him to as long a deal as possible.

FSG are obviously keeping a very beady eye on what we offer and, though there's an obvious risk involved, in principle I reckon they're right to do so. We aren't yet at the stage where we can do a ManUre and offer a player - any player - Monopoly wages without a second thought to the knock-on effects that might have throughout the club's wage structure. We may yet end up giving Sterling more than we currently want to, but IMO the club are right not just to fold straight away on this.

Yea. We really shouldn't be seen as a pushover with wages or we'll have the likes of Mignolet at the door for a wage increase because he has played well for a fortnight.

The owners are in town and will be at the game tonight. Maybe this is on the agenda.
Losing him is a no go. Cant happen.

All contracts are incentive based anyway. So if he starts on 85-90k now he could end up with much more if certain goals are reached. As a 20 year old kid, should it matter if you've got 85 or 110k now?

His agents sound like right cunts tbh.

As a 20 year old kid, should it matter if you've got 85 or 110k now?

His agents sound like right cunts tbh.

Obviously you'd refuse an extra 25k?

Of course it matters how much he's getting, he's got a relatively short career, that could end at any second, he has every right to try and get as much as he can, because if we don't pay it, someone else will.

Obviously you'd refuse an extra 25k?

Of course it matters how much he's getting, he's got a relatively short career, that could end at any second, he has every right to try and get as much as he can, because if we don't pay it, someone else will.

That's not the point though is it? His agents are already getting him twice what he earns today.
No one knows what his contract will be like if those incentives are met.

Of course his agents will try and squeeze out the extra they can get and he deserves a big fat contract.
You just hope he doesn't loose focus on what's best for his career.

You can't be serious....

No, I'm never serious when it comes to what could be best for a players career vs more money.
He deserves a big fat contract and we cant lose him. I'd pay him 100k a week no problem.

Its more the way this is handled by his agents.
That said its not being handled very well by the club either. We seem to do all our negotiations in the media.

I think it's fair enough for agents to be tough and push for as much as they can get - that's their job - but when they start playing games it's another matter. Remember when Owen's agent dragged out negotiations and then - mid-season - suddenly announced he was going on 'sabbatical,' leaving the club in the dark? This is starting to sound uncomfortably similar, with Raheem's agent further complicating matters by letting it be known he's leaving one company to set up his own agency. That shouldn't be relevant at all when a deal is supposedly as advanced as this one. He's now just taking the piss.

If he'd been given a good offer, there would be no stories in the media.

And Brendan wouldn't be out singing about the incredible offer we've made to the young player.

I love how we throw money at shit signings like it's monopoly money, then start to become 'prudent' when dealing with a good player.

Jon Lester is a Cub because of shit like this

We have placed Sterling as our most important player this season, so he should be paid as such, despite his age.

He's also worth about 50m, so again, we should pay him as if he's worth that.

We should be offering at least 100k, and tying him to as long a deal as possible.

Sounds like we are - £100k plus further incentives:

Tony Barrett
Last updated at 12:01AM, February 10 2015

Liverpool have reached deadlock in their attempt to agree the terms on a new contract with Raheem Sterling, with Brendan Rodgers urging the young England star’s representatives to accept the “wonderful deal” offered.

After negotiations over the past four months failed to yield an agreement, Rodgers laid bare Liverpool’s stance yesterday with a warning to Sterling’s agent, Aidy Ward, that they would not pay more than they believe any player is worth and nor would they allow the winger’s development to be “sabotaged” by giving him “too much too young”.

Although Liverpool have offered almost to treble Sterling’s basic weekly wage from £35,000 to about £100,000 with further earnings being performance-related, the 20-year-old’s camp believe that their client’s growing status for club and country is worthy of greater financial recognition and are seeking about £120,000 per week.

That has left the parties at a stalemate, raising the possibility that Sterling’s contract will not be resolved before the end of this season, by which time he will have entered the final two years of his present deal. Rodgers, whose comments followed a meeting with John W. Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, believes Sterling should remove all uncertainty by accepting Liverpool’s offer.

“In the case of Raheem, he has been offered a wonderful deal for a young player who is still developing,” the Liverpool manager said. “He has made some great strides in these last couple of years and will get rewarded for that. Hopefully his representatives can find agreement with the club.

“But we are certainly not a club that is going to give out way, way above what a player is worth at a certain time of his career. It is not a case of giving any player, and I am talking generally here rather than just Raheem, what they want. We want to reward our best talents, they are a big part of our future and we are confident that will all be handled and resolved soon.

“For me in general, not just about Raheem, generically it is very important that young players have something to strive for. If they get too much too young, then it can really sabotage their development for me. That is obviously the job of the football club and why we communicate a lot with the players and their advisers.”

"For me in general, not just about Raheem, generically it is very important that young players have something to strive for. If they get too much too young, then it can really sabotage their development for me."

Yeah, because earning 2 million quid a year right now must really be keeping his fucking feet on the fucking ground you stupid fucking prick.

"For me in general, not just about Raheem, generically it is very important that young players have something to strive for. If they get too much too young, then it can really sabotage their development for me."

Yeah, because earning 2 million quid a year right now must really be keeping his fucking feet on the fucking ground you stupid fucking prick.
I did immediately think "if I was earning 80k a week I'm not sure an extra 20k a week would be the thing that made me go off the rails..."

I'd have probably been dead within a month, found in a hotel room surrounded by loads of beak, pills & women.

I'm not sure if we can afford to keep him and his agent long term. He's tripling his money every couple if years and signing 4yr deals. So we give him say 120k now, by the time he's 25-26 we'll be fucked.
I think he could be a really good player, and he's a rapid tricky little player, but for me, for end product, he's a long way from the big leagues just at the moment, but I'm hoping that comes soon.

What about when he's 22 and 24 because it seems to me like he signs a 4.5 year contract but wants to renegotiate after 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom