• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer Silly Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, please don't be true. Signing another Italian player, whoever the heck it may be, would be the ultimate triumph of hope over experience.

I can't help liking Moreno but I can't disagree with that overall. Serie A players are not the answer tho'. We need a better defender but it has to be the right one.

VNL would be my first choice as our new left back but he would cost a fortune, probably around £35m-40m.

Ludwig Augustinsson could be a cheaper option. Plays for FCK and probably the best Scandinavian left back at the moment.

I can't help liking Moreno but I can't disagree with that overall. Serie A players are not the answer tho'. We need a better defender but it has to be the right one.
As much as I agree that we've been extremely unlucky with our Italians over the past years I think it's a bit irrational using that logic to tar them all with the same brush - I mean come on, not long ago Italian defenders were continuously the toughest, the most elegant and overall best around.

The Italian defense during the Euros looked really solid and I personally quite liked the look of De Sciglio and at the mooted price would be a welcome addition in my book.

As much as I agree that we've been extremely unlucky with our Italians over the past years I think it's a bit irrational using that logic to tar them all with the same brush - I mean come on, not long ago Italian defenders were continuously the toughest, the most elegant and overall best around.

The Italian defense during the Euros looked really solid and I personally quite liked the look of De Sciglio and at the mooted price would be a welcome addition in my book.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I hear you, gentlemen, and normally I'd agree with that line of thinking, but not this time. Regardless of their individual quality and their performances elsewhere, Italian players have failed completely and consistently at LFC over quite a few years, so I don't accept it makes sense to ignore such an established pattern.

VNL would be my first choice as our new left back but he would cost a fortune, probably around £35m-40m.

Ludwig Augustinsson could be a cheaper option. Plays for FCK and probably the best Scandinavian left back at the moment.
Nice shout. West Ham have recently had a bid on him rejected (£3M or thereabouts) and I agree, he's a really good type with no obvious weaknesses - but I'd be tempted to only call him the 2nd best in all of Scandinavia on the LB position right now as Riza Durmisi, now at Real Betis, is marginally better overall. wink wink

It would take a large bet (relatively) to lure Ludwig away from Copenhagen at this stage as they are hopeful to secure a place in the Champions League group stages and very well might do so as I think it's probably their best squad ever right now. They've even got a player in Thomas Delaney that is turning into more or less everything we all hoped Lucas would be. Great heart, loads of passion, hardworking, no-nonsense, intelligent, goal-scoring, box-to-box type that's also great in the air. A real leader on the pitch that always goes forward, always keeping his head up.

I hear you, gentlemen, and normally I'd agree with that line of thinking, but not this time. Regardless of their individual quality and their performances elsewhere, Italian players have failed completely and consistently at LFC over quite a few years, so I don't accept it makes sense to ignore such an established pattern.
Fair enough and who knows their might be some truth in it, maybe the pasta around Anfield has turned sour or the Pellegrino's outdated? Do you even have well hung Prosciutto in your stores?

I don't think any of our recent Italians have arrived with a reputation/history that have made them more than fifty-fifty to succeed. Apart from the much hyped Aquilani they were all either cheap bets (Dossena/Borini) or expensive bets (Balotelli). Had we bought Totti or Baggio or Nesta or Chiellini or Del Piero it would've been different I am sure.

Ricardo Rodriguez is still at Wolfsburg. He'd be my first choice. Looks like Hector wants to stay at Koln.

Fair enough and who knows their might be some truth in it, maybe the pasta around Anfield has turned sour or the Pellegrino's outdated? Do you even have well hung Prosciutto in your stores?

I don't think any of our recent Italians have arrived with a reputation/history that have made them more than fifty-fifty to succeed. Apart from the much hyped Aquilani they were all either cheap bets (Dossena/Borini) or expensive bets (Balotelli). Had we bought Totti or Baggio or Nesta or Chiellini or Del Piero it would've been different I am sure.

Well, I'm afraid I'm not. If just one of those players - who all had decent reps before they arrived, tho' Aquilani was a sicknote - had managed to have a halfway decent time with us, I might have been tempted to keep hope alive, but every last one of them has been a washout.

I agree with you about Delaney. Excellent scouting by FCK.

Maybe we could do a deal and loan him out to them until they are knocked out of the CL. LA that is.

Well, I'm afraid I'm not. If just one of those players - who all had decent reps before they arrived, tho' Aquilani was a sicknote - had managed to have a halfway decent time with us, I might have been tempted to keep hope alive, but every last one of them has been a washout.

He wasn't really a sicknote. If he had played more games then we would have been forced to pay Roma more money so we invented a reason to not play him.

I agree with you about Delaney. Excellent scouting by FCK.

Maybe we could do a deal and loan him out to them until they are knocked out of the CL. LA that is.
Delaney's always been at FC Copenhagen dude, since he was a kid.

As much as I like Ludwig I am not sure he'd be strong enough to go in from day one and make a difference why I'd be a bit worried if he was our only alternative to the highly erratic Moreno. I do rate him though so it's not a completely bad idea just don't know if he's already good enough to make the grade is all.

De Sciglio looked good because he wasn't asked to attack.

Augustinsson isn't even first choice for Sweden.
However, I'd take him as backup for Moreno's replacement.

Delaney's always been at FC Copenhagen dude, since he was a kid.

As much as I like Ludwig I am not sure he'd be strong enough to go in from day one and make a difference why I'd be a bit worried if he was our only alternative to the highly erratic Moreno. I do rate him though so it's not a completely bad idea just don't know if he's already good enough to make the grade is all.

Actually just back from a holiday were we also visited Denmark. Watched a couple of FCK games on telly while I was there and was impressed with Delaney. Good player.

And not just LFC. I went in search of Italian players' records in the PL. Shocking, terrifying even. The Mail has an article - from maybe 30 players only 4-5 have been even partly 'hits'. But I'd still bite your hand off for De Scigliio.

And not just LFC. I went in search of Italian players' records in the PL. Shocking, terrifying even. The Mail has an article - from maybe 30 players only 4-5 have been even partly 'hits'. But I'd still bite your hand off for De Scigliio.

I think the main reason is that only very few of the best Italian players have played in the PL. Almost all of the ones that did it was a big success. The best ones don't have a problem making the change between the Italian tactical style to the PL style.

Italians don't travel well. Bit like their armies

So the only successful Italians were at Chelsea? Or maybe that grey haired one at Boro who used to pull his shirt over his head?

That's convinced me, I'm with JJ ... NO ITALIANS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom