• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES... 2009

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg905029#msg905029 date=1247494915]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg905022#msg905022 date=1247494228]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg905013#msg905013 date=1247493150]
"Id be tempted to move Pieterson up and hope that the added responsibility of opening will make him pack in the silly shit".

Are you being serious Oncy?
[/quote]Yes.
[/quote]

Ok.

Well thankfully that will never happen, seeing as it would be crazy and a waste of Englands best batsman.
[/quote]I didnt say it would happen did i? I said 'I'd be tempted' and i would.
Glad we had this chat.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg905143#msg905143 date=1247508791]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg905029#msg905029 date=1247494915]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=33622.msg905022#msg905022 date=1247494228]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg905013#msg905013 date=1247493150]
"Id be tempted to move Pieterson up and hope that the added responsibility of opening will make him pack in the silly shit".

Are you being serious Oncy?
[/quote]Yes.
[/quote]

Ok.

Well thankfully that will never happen, seeing as it would be crazy and a waste of Englands best batsman.
[/quote]I didnt say it would happen did i? I said 'I'd be tempted' and i would.
Glad we had this chat.
[/quote]

I never said you did, i just stated that thankfully it will never happen (mainly because it would be crazy to do so). We've been 2 down on numerous occasions for very few runs and KP still bats the same way as he always does. I just don't see how opening the batting would suddenly change him, all the frontline batters should bat responsibly regardless of when they come in.

I don't get why you're so down on KP.What more do you expect from him? He's on his way to being one of the all time great batsman and all of his stats match up to nearly any other player.

Average of over 50.
16 tons
Great conversion rate from 50 to 100
Fantastic to watch
More often than not he produces the goods when England really needs him

Yet when he gets out occasionally playing a daft shot, you're saying to threaten him with the chop him or putting him in to open would sort it out?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg904777#msg904777 date=1247443657]
England got away with fucking muder there. Hark at all these people clamouring for paper to cover the cracks; 'Harmison in for Monty, we need pace!'

Bigger picture folks. You were outplayed, outthought, outfought, and you only just got what you were looking for - not to lose.

The defining moment of the whole test was the last bout of play at the end of day one; England scoring for fun, tails up, the Australians body langauge shot to pieces, and all teh ascendancy with the hosts. The tourists were on the ropes, and what does Strauss do? Sends in a nightwatchman and irrevocably shifts the momentum. You could just see Strauss' thinking - 'Christ, look what we've got here, lets not give it away'. Instead of piling on the pressure and looking to win the game, he took the opportunity of not losing. Not in one million years would Ponting have backed off like that.

For me, england have too many weaknesses. So if you take Panesar out, that leaves you with Swann as your spin option for Lords. How many wickets did he take over the last 5 days exactly? How many wickets did Freddie 'would everyone please look at me I just took a wicket!' Flintoff have by the end of the test? KP? Alastair fucking Cook?

You can be happy with the efforts of Anderson, Collingwood, and Prior. That's yer lot.

Australia on the other hand have the best bowler on the field in Hilfenhaus, have Hauritz taking wickets of top-order batsmen, could have scored 1000 runs in one innings if they'd wanted, have the far FAR better captain, and did all this after losing the fucking toss.

This is Australia's Ashes to lose.
[/quote]

So if bringing Harmison in for Monty is papering over the cracks and only Anderson, Collingwood and Prior emerge with any credit, what would you do Ryan? Make 8 changes, including the captain? The fact is that since Nasser's days as captain, England have been at their best when there's been stability in the squad - when the batters don't think they're out of the side for one bad test. The batting line up in this test was probably as good as we have right now. Similarly, if Flintoff's fit, the bowling would be ok with an on-form Harmison in for an out of form Monty. Plus, we won't need two spinners at Lords. England don't often play well there, but when we have, it's been when we've had a pace-dominated attack. Australia totally dominated this match but England don't need to panic just yet.

I would be surprised if England win the Lord's test, as we haven't beaten the Aussies there since 1930-something.

Plus the fact that they showed at Cardiff that they aren't a bunch of inexperienced no-hopers as had been suggested!

I would settle for another draw. :)

I'd settle for it, but I'm hopeful. On the question of games at Lord's, records are there to be broken, and overall I think we can play a good deal better than we did in the First Test whereas I'm not convinced the Australians can.

Bring it on.

any streams for this lads as I would like to keep an eye on it while watching the Open

bloody good start by us, so far.

Johnson is having a mare and getting biatched slapped everywhere.

[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=33622.msg906978#msg906978 date=1247752398]
Cook out for 95. Eng are 196-1
[/quote]

he must be pissed, still better than getting out in 60s and 70s like he normally would

good run rate, we could be 400 at close

This is england we will collapse now too something stupid like 278 for 5.

Obviously I hope we don't.

[quote author=Dahuge link=topic=33622.msg906986#msg906986 date=1247753218]
This is england we will collapse now too something stupid like 278 for 5.

Obviously I hope we don't.
[/quote]

317 for 5 now...nearly

I think England may be in a stronger position than people think. We all have Cardiff in our minds, but that wicket offered very little to the bowlers which enabled the Aussies to score 600+. As the ball is swinging, Anderson and Onions should pick up a few wickets.

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33622.msg905171#msg905171 date=1247510748]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33622.msg904777#msg904777 date=1247443657]
England got away with fucking muder there. Hark at all these people clamouring for paper to cover the cracks; 'Harmison in for Monty, we need pace!'

Bigger picture folks. You were outplayed, outthought, outfought, and you only just got what you were looking for - not to lose.

The defining moment of the whole test was the last bout of play at the end of day one; England scoring for fun, tails up, the Australians body langauge shot to pieces, and all teh ascendancy with the hosts. The tourists were on the ropes, and what does Strauss do? Sends in a nightwatchman and irrevocably shifts the momentum. You could just see Strauss' thinking - 'Christ, look what we've got here, lets not give it away'. Instead of piling on the pressure and looking to win the game, he took the opportunity of not losing. Not in one million years would Ponting have backed off like that.

For me, england have too many weaknesses. So if you take Panesar out, that leaves you with Swann as your spin option for Lords. How many wickets did he take over the last 5 days exactly? How many wickets did Freddie 'would everyone please look at me I just took a wicket!' Flintoff have by the end of the test? KP? Alastair fucking Cook?

You can be happy with the efforts of Anderson, Collingwood, and Prior. That's yer lot.

Australia on the other hand have the best bowler on the field in Hilfenhaus, have Hauritz taking wickets of top-order batsmen, could have scored 1000 runs in one innings if they'd wanted, have the far FAR better captain, and did all this after losing the fucking toss.

This is Australia's Ashes to lose.
[/quote]

So if bringing Harmison in for Monty is papering over the cracks and only Anderson, Collingwood and Prior emerge with any credit, what would you do Ryan? Make 8 changes, including the captain? The fact is that since Nasser's days as captain, England have been at their best when there's been stability in the squad - when the batters don't think they're out of the side for one bad test. The batting line up in this test was probably as good as we have right now. Similarly, if Flintoff's fit, the bowling would be ok with an on-form Harmison in for an out of form Monty. Plus, we won't need two spinners at Lords. England don't often play well there, but when we have, it's been when we've had a pace-dominated attack. Australia totally dominated this match but England don't need to panic just yet.
[/quote]

Been away for a few days so just seeing this now Peggy.

I wasn't advocating wholesale changes mate, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I was responding tto all of those who'd watched the first test unfold and them jumped up with "Monty out, Harmy in" as their quickfix. It's painfully obvious that a change in the bowling attack is akin to lipstick on a pig.

England were totally outclassed in just about every department, and to try and now win this Series is going to take a shift in thought, attack, and captaincy that goes way beyond taking out a spinner for the unpredictable Harmison.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=33622.msg907097#msg907097 date=1247773693]
So whats the predictions then? 400?

Warne was superb in the commentary box today.
[/quote]

Yeah, he was good. But then so are just about all of them, I love listening to Holding, Hussein's excellent as the '3rd Man' analyser, and Bumble's fantastic too.

I think the tailend can frustrate again. the pitch isn't doing that much, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get to 450.

That said, the Australians will get to 550. I suppose it all depends how quickly they do that, and wthether they can force more than a draw out of this, cos that's the way it looks like going.

I forecast the Australians won't get 550 in their first innings! Anderson and Onions will skittle the buggers out for a modest total. :)

Back
Top Bottom