• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best passer we've ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Just reading the Xabi's story, and then remembered some of those passes he made. Though I was very very young, I remembered some of Jan Molbys passes. Stevie G, could also hit a 50-yard pass too. Its not always the long overhead pass, but we had players like Beardsley who could do quick short intricate passes. I don't think we've had anyone as good as Xavi and Iniesta but who has?

Redknapp was bloody good early on. He did get the unfortunate nickname of 'The Crab' in his later years though.

Souness wasn't principally known for his passing game but his short passing in particular was very good indeed.

Barnes in his latter days did just that. Unfortunately, it was sideways. I am sorry to speak ill of a legend, injuries took a toll on him and he adapted his game.
Latter days, yes. Late 80s Barnes was an assist God.

Poulsen wern't bad like

In all seriousness, Xabi Stevie and Coutinho produced some of the best I've ever seen at the club.

I seem to remember Gerrard being pretty good at the odd cross field diagonal ball.

You know what really annoyed me about Xabi's passing, he used the same technique when he was shooting too.

Great player though. I remember his debut against Bolton where I don't think he misplaced a single pass.

He did the same with dead ball kicks. His corners were surprisingly poor, his freekicks weren't much better (not consistently anyway), when he was picked to take the peno in normal time in Istanbul my jaw hit the floor, and we all know what happened - though of course his skill and intelligence then enabled him to redeem himself.

But yes, what a Rolls Royce of a player at his best.

He did the same with dead ball kicks. His corners were surprisingly poor, his freekicks weren't much better (not consistently anyway), when he was picked to take the peno in normal time in Istanbul my jaw hit the floor, and we all know what happened - though of course his skill and intelligence then enabled him to redeem himself.

But yes, what a Rolls Royce of a player at his best.

It's strange though I always had an expectation something good would happen when he was taking a free kick or corner.

I suspect most of us did, for a while anyway, precisely because he was such a fine, cultured, intelligent player. .

Xabi's laser-guided long passes made me smile with wonderment over and over again. He was an astounding player.

Jan Molby - The original Pass Master

</endofthread>
Yes. Molby was great. Epitomized by the double-winning season, and that Cup Final. Ronnie Whelan was also very good. Less range than Molby, but would pick apart a defense with the timing of his passes.

Yes. Molby was great. Epitomized by the double-winning season, and that Cup Final. Ronnie Whelan was also very good. Less range than Molby, but would pick apart a defense with the timing of his passes.
Don’t know about now, but up till 10 years or so ago, Molby used to play in Liverpool legend sides, and even though he’d only ever be walking with his massive gut, his passes we’re still unbelievably sublime.

I remember seeing him for the reserves mid-eighties. Eager young players buzzing around, lots of energy, and Molby in the middle, strolling around like a benevolent uncle, a class apart.

Its between Molby and Alonso, and I would give it to Molby because he had more vision in his game, so he would play more killer passes than Xabi.

Haven’t read the thread but if any answer doesn’t start and finish with Jan Molby then you haven’t done your research.

Genius

Don't really remember him doing much when he was here.

Jari spent far too short a time here. We looked better for his presence almost every game he played (the one exception being a match at Chelsea when the whole side played like a bunch of puppets with their strings cut) and he went on to play CL football for Ajax after he left LFC. GH treated the guy abominably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom