• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been noted that we stand off and allow shots at Alisson more than any other top team, mostly because he's fucking brilliant, and also to avoid unlucky deflections. I'm also sure this has something to do shots in certain areas having low probability of going in, and we're prepared to accept the rare occasion they do go in, like Inter's goal in the 2nd leg.
That is exactly how someone from the club (Pep?) described our tactics. It gives the keeper a clear view of the ball from foot to goal, without any deflections. It takes guts which means most other teams wouldn't dare try it.

That is something we do to good effect, but usually it happens when the defender positions himself to block the widest angle and force the attacker to try and beat the keeper through the narrowest route to goal. Basically offering then the lowest percentage shot.

That's not what happened v Palace. Zaha was able to shoot across Allison into the open side of the goal, thats the area the covering defender is meant to screen.

Think VVD is still the best defender around, also I think it was Nat that played Zaha on, and not VVD. Think he is fine.

The issue is Fab, he is really not up to it, and we played a very high line the other night with Nat has VVD's partner, which was a mistake if there ever was one.

Nah - despite the delusional members on here, we are fucked because of our midfield - all our problems come from them:

1) Not responsive enough to cover the defenders
2) Not passing quickly enough to the forward line before they are overcrowded with opposition players.
3) Just generally shit, slow and sometimes too old.

Klopp's system demands that the engine room is active, dynamic, and lots of energy, something none of them are really - yes Elliot adds a bit of energy, but he is going to play further up front.

Wait - so it’s all Fabibho’s fault now-after 2 games???

That is something we do to good effect, but usually it happens when the defender positions himself to block the widest angle and force the attacker to try and beat the keeper through the narrowest route to goal. Basically offering then the lowest percentage shot.

That's not what happened v Palace. Zaha was able to shoot across Allison into the open side of the goal, thats the area the covering defender is meant to screen.
Well that would mean he's further across - offering the opportunity to the attacker to wrong foot him, cut inside and have the whole goal at his mercy. Since I'm not au fait with exactly what the correct positioning should be I think I'll play it safe and side with Carra's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom