• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gini is out of the bottle (he's shit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woland

6CM Addict
I saw some stat on here the other day where he'd had less touches than Ming on Tuesday. When Solanke was warming up yesterday the dude to my right said he must be coming on for Frim, and I said nah it'll be Wijnlandum, and he was like, it can't be because he isn't playing, and I was like, he is and that's why he needs to leave. Two minutes later we scored.

Discuss.

He can be fucking boss. Strong, agile, great passers-by, decent shooting.... But then he goes missing for weeks

He certainly disappears in games, most notably away from home but I think he's a good footballer.

He makes what he does look simple so maybe he goes a little unnoticed at times but I think he's very valuable.

I'd pick him over Can every time for instance.

Having said that he needs to improve his consistency to have a long term future here.

A good player up until the final third where he turns into a pussy.

I'm surprised though as he showed good confidence and great finishing for Newcastle (at home) the year they went down.

He needs to be at Anfield, next to Lallana or Coutinho, against the best sides, with Liverpool on top to actually perform and get involved.

How many more conditions do we need to put in place before we eventually conclude he isn't a very effective footballer eighty percent of the time?

He just hasn't got the right mentality to help take this club forward. He's a fair-weather, talented player who turns up when he wants. At Newcastle you can do that and get yourself relegated - not here.

I don't think he's got the mentality to be a regular starter for a club of our ambitions. He desperately needs some competition to kick him up the arse.

Last edited:
What the fuck does he actually do? I'll happily admit that my footy tactical knowledge is shit. I've been cribbing nous off @ruikbird and @dmishra for years and passing it off as my own but really. He's fucking shit.

I still think he's really good but he undoubtedly needs a grow a set of balls and start being more of an influence in games.

As someone pointed out in another thread, he has easily the best smile in the squad.

In footballing terms though I think he needs to have really great players around him in order to shine, which is another way of saying he's not particularly good.

Some poster on SCM put it very eloquently a few months ago. I am trying to paraphrase from memory.

"If you look at each player in isolation, there doesn't seem to a serious problem but as a whole there seems to be a problem".

I think that statement is bang on particularly for our midfield three of Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum. Between physical injuries, time needed to play themselves back into form, mentality issues - between the three of them we do not get an acceptable level of performance across the season if we want to compete for the league.

I saw some stat on here the other day where he'd had less touches than Ming on Tuesday.
Vs. Hoffenheim

Vs. Crystal Palace
gini.jpg

I've been saying this since this time last year. He doesn't even have that one redeeming element to his game as a strength - i.e. passing, tackling, positioning, ability to control a midfield, goalscoring. He can do a all of these to an average extent, but he's not great at anything really.

The other problem is that I don't think he's a midfielder. He spent most of his time at Newcastle playing on the wing or behind the striker. We rather stupidly bought him in this hope that he could transition into a number 8 - i.e. the heartbeat of the side. He hasn't. I know from my own personal experience when I played back in the day - I spent years as a forward or left winger. When I tried to play central midfield, the game passed me by completely. The way you approach the game is flipped on its head.

As for Gini, in a side that's lacking defensive cover and real guile and threat from midfield, he's too much of a passenger. He's great for big games at home, and that seems to be about it. Lallana or Coutinho would ideally always be the third midfielder, playing infront of Henderson and Can, unless we buy a DM, then the latter two can fight it out for the remaining slot.

Never been a fan of his. A passenger away from home and not that great at anfield either. He's just average. Definitely should be on the bench when lallana or coutinho are back in the team.

He is a bit of an enigma.

He's definitely not shit in that he's technically accomplished and clearly understands the game but that doesn't really help us if come match day he doesn't turn up.

He's supposedly started off as a #10 attacking midfielder type and though it's hard to identify the qualities that made him one - he's nowhere near the quality of someone like Coutinho or Silva for example - he does fit the #10 stereotype of drifting in and out of games. Trouble is he's not playing as a #10 rather than central midfield where drifting in and out of games is more of a problem.

Central midfield is the right place for him in an attacking team such as ours and you can see why when it's all working as it should. He can operate in congested areas, turn and pick a pass - we need these qualities.

Ultimately I think we should persist with him. We just need alternatives.

Without being able to pin-point exactly why I think he's one of the most important players in our current setup (despite his poor form at the start of the season).

Maybe it's the smile.

This is like de ja vu.. Everyone was calling him at the beginning of last season..

Wtf does Gini do, a waste of money etc..

2nd half of the season he was like our best player and most consistent too..

Everyone was saying how Boss Gini was..

I expect it will be the same again this season.

This is like de ja vu.. Everyone was calling him at the beginning of last season..

Wtf does Gini do, a waste of money etc..

2nd half of the season he was like our best player and most consistent too..

Everyone was saying how Boss Gini was..

I expect it will be the same again this season.
He's always been anonymous away from home, even last season.

Short memories. He scored some crucial goals for us last season including the beauty against Man City and the dynamite shot right on halftime in the final game against Boro when everyone else was shitting their pants.

He is out of form at the moment and didn't look right pre-season but he is a class player who rarely loses the ball in the congested traffic of centre midfield and helps to control games with short passes that don't look eye-catching but maintain possession. That's absolutely vital in the big games and he is easily the best in the side in this department compared to Henderson, Milner, Can etc who give the ball away all the fucking time.

He's not started the season well but when the side gets into a groove he will be a key component and I'm sure Klopp values his abilities a lot more than some on here.

I think you missed the bit where of his twenty two touches, twelve went to the opposition.

He's like a mannequin that moves about

I think you missed the bit where of his twenty two touches, twelve went to the opposition.

He's like a mannequin that moves about

Didn't think you were much of a stats man but if so you may need to check back on last season for an accurate guide. He's out of form, it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom