• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gini is out of the bottle (he's shit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so much the stats. He just doesn't seem to do anything. Covers ground I suppose.

Alarm bells always ring louder when a Liverpool footballer tends to split opinion, and his advocates say things like:

"He's the glue in the team, he holds it all together"

"He's great at ball retention and controlling the game"

"He does so much unseen work that most people (apart from clever ones who "know football") don't appreciate"

and then start quacking away with " I TOLD YOU ALL HE WAS ACE!" when he comes out of a period of playing totally shite, to score a goal, before disappearing again.

He has had a very poor start for sure. His passing has been inaccurate. Not sure how he can be that far off the pace, but again it is early in the season, and I expect him to get better and better.

Didn't think you were much of a stats man but if so you may need to check back on last season for an accurate guide. He's out of form, it happens.
He'll definitely be on the bench once coutinho is back in the team. Hendo and Can will provide the protection to allow coutinho to burst forward.

He is a bit of an enigma.

He's definitely not shit in that he's technically accomplished and clearly understands the game but that doesn't really help us if come match day he doesn't turn up.

He's supposedly started off as a #10 attacking midfielder type and though it's hard to identify the qualities that made him one - he's nowhere near the quality of someone like Coutinho or Silva for example - he does fit the #10 stereotype of drifting in and out of games. Trouble is he's not playing as a #10 rather than central midfield where drifting in and out of games is more of a problem.

Central midfield is the right place for him in an attacking team such as ours and you can see why when it's all working as it should. He can operate in congested areas, turn and pick a pass - we need these qualities.

Ultimately I think we should persist with him. We just need alternatives.
This for me too. He's a good player. I've no problems dropping him / rotating him when we have other options (Coutinho / Lallana) though. I'd continue to play him in the big games at home anyway.

Alarm bells always ring louder when a Liverpool footballer tends to split opinion, and his advocates say things like:

"He does so much unseen work that most people (apart from clever ones who "know football") don't appreciate"

and then start quacking away with " I TOLD YOU ALL HE WAS ACE!" when he comes out of a period of playing totally shite, to score a goal, before disappearing again.

Heh, this is true. The LFC 'intellectual' twitterati have already started with the condescending angle if you criticize him i.e. 'If you don't see what he brings to the side, you know nothing about football.'

I even saw someone compare him to Ronny Whelan

He's a decent player, but obviously not one capable of dominating games. We've known this for a while, so I'm not sure what this thread is about. I also suspect he's in poor form at the moment.

He had 6 goals and 11 assists from central midfield last season. Those stats have some value.

He's certainly not the completely useless footballer this thread is making him out to be.

Heh, this is true. The LFC 'intellectual' twitterati have already started with the condescending angle if you criticize him i.e. 'If you don't see what he brings to the side, you know nothing about football.'

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT

And it's soooo predictable that you would seize on a thread like this with your condescending claptrap.

I think he can improve his game, become more influential etc. but I also think he's a key influence for us and been so for a while.

For starters without him we could easily look pedestrian in midfield, as the likes of Can, Milner and Henderson are different types of players. Gini got quick feet and when on song also quick thinking to boot. This gives you an edge especially in a team setup like us, where there are often very little time and room to linger in. Everything is moving at pace under Klopp, whether it's in attack or when we are trying to regain possession, and I think I've seen more than enough signs to feel certain that Wijnaldum is tailor made for a role in such a dynamic setup.

He's got his flaws, obviously, but he is a player actually capable of thriving under such hectic circumstances. His stats from the weekend was very poor but when you are often in possession in congested areas under a lot of pressure your stats, when compared to a midfielder passing sideways or backwards in a defensive-minded team, will always kinda suck.

I am probably one of Wijnaldum's biggest fans on here it has to be said, I just really like him a footballer..

And his smile gives us all hope.

Wijnaldum has had less touches of the ball in 3 games this season, than Robertson has had in one match.

Yeah but Robertson is good. You can't go comparing him to good players, that isn't fair
Wijnaldum is a goal-scoring midfielder that is also a creative force as well as a Marathon-man.

I can understand if some of you have grown accustomed to more stationary midfielders and therefore compare him to them, but you shouldn't and you can't.

Thing is, there are not too many obviously box-to-box midfielders like Wijnaldum around that will not only run for 90 minutes but whom are also capable of winning you games, either through goals or assists. They are increasing in numbers mind you, as they are becoming more and more vital to the game as more managers prefer very dynamic players, with iron lungs, that can defend AND attack both in the final third and in defence.

Wijnaldum may not be the best around at what he does, but when he's on form he do it very well, and is one of the first names on the team sheet. For me at least (and for Klopp it seems).

Btw, 6 goals and 9 assists in 33 games last season is a better end-product than most central midfielders we've had through the team for many years.

Wijnaldum is a goal-scoring midfielder that is also a creative force as well as a Marathon-man.

I can understand if some of you have grown accustomed to more stationary midfielders and therefore compare him to them, but you shouldn't and you can't.

Thing is, there are not too many obviously box-to-box midfielders like Wijnaldum around that will not only run for 90 minutes but whom are also capable of winning you games, either through goals or assists. They are increasing in numbers mind you, as they are becoming more and more vital to the game as more managers prefer very dynamic players, with iron lungs, that can defend AND attack both in the final third and in defence.

Wijnaldum may not be the best around at what he does, but when he's on form he do it very well, and is one of the first names on the team sheet. For me at least (and for Klopp it seems).

Btw, 6 goals and 9 assists in 33 games last season is a better end-product than most central midfielders we've had through the team for many years.
He certainly has his moments. Point is he's been very shit so far this season. As has Firmino.

He certainly has his moments. Point is he's been very shit so far this season. As has Firmino.
But 'so far this season' is what, 3 games that actually counts? Whereas we've won 2 and drawn one mind you.

I don't think any of them has hit top form yet, but I also don't think Firmino has been shit. Yeah he struggled out wide, he always does, but has otherwise looked a threat, has scored, has setup teammates and had a few very decent efforts from distance as well.

Sometimes I do think some of the criticism on here is a tad unfair.

Every year when the Cl and EL qualifiers are played we always fancy the Norwegian teams to perform ok as they are in form in the mid of their season, while the other teams haven't got going yet. Rosenborg challenging Celtic in the CL qualifier, and beating Ajax away in the first leg of EL qualifier has got nothing to do with them being equally good as these teams. It has all to do with these teams being so early in their seasons so their players are still trying to find the right balance for players that probably have so much hard training behind them that they don't are in form just yet.

I don't say Gini will start dominating games regurarly, but he and Firmino who is also mentioned (which I think has started allright) have a style of play involving a lot of hard work and lot of km's covered every game. They will probably feel lighter and play better in the weeks to come. It is a balance between freshness and fitness. And Pre season is all about building fitness to last a whole season.

Gini is Gini. He will be useful in plenty of games. We can't have only those Coutinho style players. We need some watercarriers as well, and Gini will play plenty, help the team Control games and be involved in plenty attacking football this Autumn. Not too much worries about him even if he has opened the season on a low gear.

This is like de ja vu.. Everyone was calling him at the beginning of last season..

Wtf does Gini do, a waste of money etc..

2nd half of the season he was like our best player and most consistent too..

Everyone was saying how Boss Gini was..

I expect it will be the same again this season.

I'm not sure there's much to gloat about there, if he's only good for half a season. If he's great in the second half of this season, people will rightly point at his lack of consistency.

Worried about him. I thought he was a good un but he's looked useless. We were warned though, he looks like Socrates when we're winning 4-0, like having Stephen Hawking in midfield in a tight game.

But 'so far this season' is what, 3 games that actually counts? Whereas we've won 2 and drawn one mind you.

I don't think any of them has hit top form yet, but I also don't think Firmino has been shit. Yeah he struggled out wide, he always does, but has otherwise looked a threat, has scored, has setup teammates and had a few very decent efforts from distance as well.

Sometimes I do think some of the criticism on here is a tad unfair.

I agree an excessive amount of whinging going on.

Firmino is a really good player IMO and Wijnaldum is nifty as well, we are not at the races yet but nonetheless if it were not for a shitty line call we would have 100% record against two tough opponents for us and the 4th best team in Germany who hadn't lost at home since the season before last.

Yeah... we didn't buy Van dijk.... and Barca have annoyed us... but for God's sake... calm down eh...

I reckon we are gonna win the league, yes I have been saying that for nearly 30 years since we last did it but.... Guaranteed victory.

I've been wandering this since about last October. He isn't good enough at present to be a starting 11 player.

He's a good player on his day (when he doesn't have to travel!) I didn't get what the fuck he was about until the first Chelsea game last year, then I spotted how effective he was in his quiet way in that game and he kept that up for as long as I could be bothered to watch him.

But he's been utter garbage this year so far, makes me wonder what effect not having Lallana in the midfield is having on him. If it isn't just form and his game really is this fragile, then he's just not good enough, the midfield as a whole has stuttered a bit this year but he's shown nothing.

I think thats a fair comparison.
Id say if we stuck Whelan in our midfield today you wouldnt see a great increase in productivity. And at the same time we wouldnt be any worse off.

Ha. Reminds me of the time someone told Shanks that a decentish midfield player called Tony Currie, who played for Sheffield United, was better than Shanks' idol Tom Finney. "Aye", Shanks growled, "but Tom Finney's 52."

Both he and Emre looked unleashed in this game. Maybe as a trio, Hendo Gini & Emre are starting to work out how they need to divide up different roles. My criticisms in previous games have been the games between DM and the forwards, with all three largely holding back. In this game they switched well who was going forwards, but always had at least one of them breaking up to join the attack.

Granted it was against a team who suddenly needed 4 goals to progress, but it was a promising performance from all of these 3 as a trio. Gini played some excellent passes and was unlucky not to score himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom