• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The incredible Xabi Alonso thread 2009.

Re: Xabi Alonso will stay at Anfield, says Rafa Benitez

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=33578.msg871369#msg871369 date=1242829169]
[quote author=singlerider link=topic=33578.msg871365#msg871365 date=1242828852]
So . . . if we're not selling Xabi, but we are still interested in buying Barry, then what the fuck is that about?

Er, hello? Priorities?

You can't whinge about not having enough money and then spunk what is likely to be a very large fee on someone who is vying for position with Xabi, Mascher and Stevie (although I'll admit, perhaps Stevie should no longer be considered CM, so perhaps that makes a little more sense).

Either way, we need to blow loads of money on a bloody good winger, as we have done since before time began(ish)* - these reports really make me wonder what the fuck is going on

* here ish is used to denote BR - Before Rafa
[/quote]

Barry is a damn good player who will cover a number of positions (LW, LB, DM, CM) instead of weakening us too much if one of the players in those positions is out. He will not cost loads of money (8M perhaps) and will be ahead of Lucas - which will keep Brendan quiet. For that last point alone he is worth the 8M.
[/quote]

He's a damn good player??! What exactly is he great at apart from passing the ball sideways and taking penalties? He's 'alright' but he's not worth chasing considering we've already got three CM's better than him. He's better than Lucas if he came to us, and that's about it. But who isn't better than Lucas that could join us this summer.

Alonso, Mascher, Barry>Lucas

That is all.

People tend to forget....

With Gerrard now technically a forward, in his new role under Benitez...we now only have 3 senior midfielders (1 of which is technically shite).

Quite Clearly Benitez see him in this position for the foreseeable future, playing behind Torres... He has even gone on to mention Gerrard will make a great striker in the latter part of his career..

So given that we are arguably low in numbers in midfield, Barry for me would be a viable option to plug that gap..

Rafa Benitez insists Liverpool do not want to sell midfield ace Xabi Alonso.

The Spain international suffers regular media speculation about his future despite having three years remaining on his contract.

Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It's very clear - Xabi has three years left and we do not want to sell him."

Alonso has enjoyed one of his finest seasons in a red shirt, scoring five goals in 46 appearances and winning Liverpoolfc.tv fans' man of the match seven times.

From the Official.

:)

Ha. Of course there's still that element of doubt, if a big offer comes in I'm sure Rafa's head will be turned especially with his beloved Barry lined up, however, he has now come out on two or three different occasions and said he doesn't want to sell him, which for now is the best thing he could be saying on the matter as far as I'm concerned.

There's a difference between 'do not want to' and 'will not' afterall.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=33578.msg873151#msg873151 date=1243091931]
There's a difference between 'do not want to' and 'will not' afterall.
[/quote]

Or 'do not want to' and 'he wants to leave'

Alonso has said in few different interviews that he doesn't want to go.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873160#msg873160 date=1243092267]
[/quote]

Yep but how many times have you seen denials in the press Anita only for what was being refuted to come about. I honestly believe Alonso will be gone in the summer.

there is no doubt he is Perez's number 1 target as soon as he is proclaimed president of Real Madrid.

they will make a big offer for Xabi Alonso, no doubt about it. they see him as the lynchpin of their new project.

we wont know until then because Benitez could accept a big offer

Yeah, imo, if Alonso leave, it'll be more of the club's acceptance of a massive offer than his personal preference to move on.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33578.msg873163#msg873163 date=1243092489]
[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873160#msg873160 date=1243092267]
[/quote]

Yep but how many times have you seen denials in the press Anita only for what was being refuted to come about. I honestly believe Alonso will be gone in the summer.
[/quote]

Yes, maybe so. But we have no reason to believe Alonso wants to leave.

We do have reason to suppose Rafa's not top of his Christmas card list though, given the shenanigans over his insistence on not travelling when his partner gave birth and Rafa's apparent willingness to sell him at that time and during the period immediately afterwards.  There's no reason to suppose Xabi doesn't love the club and the supporters, but it wouldn't be a total surprise if he were in two minds over playing for Rafa long-term.

Do you think Rafa is top of anyone's Christmas card list ?

But my point, JJ, is that all this is speculative. The only 'information', if we can call it that, is that he wants to stay. Of course he could just be opting to be a good pro and say the right thing, however, at this point I'd rather take it to mean he wants to stay.

Both Alonso and Rafa could be making comments like 'We'll see over the summer' or 'future will be decided over summer' which for Alsono wouldn't be seen as being unprofesssional. The definitive 'not going' statements are the only thing that we're getting from both parties right now. I'm happy to go with that for now, rather than made up scenarios.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873177#msg873177 date=1243093366]
Do you think Rafa is top of anyone's Christmas card list ?
[/quote]

RAFA4PM's and St. Benitez's.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873180#msg873180 date=1243093548]
But my point, JJ, is that all this is speculative. The only 'information', if we can call it that, is that he wants to stay. Of course he could just be opting to be a good pro and say the right thing, however, at this point I'd rather take it to mean he wants to stay.

Both Alonso and Rafa could be making comments like 'We'll see over the summer' or 'future will be decided over summer' which for Alsono wouldn't be seen as being unprofesssional. The definitive 'not going' statements are the only thing that we're getting from both parties right now. I'm happy to go with that for now, rather than made up scenarios.
[/quote]

By admitting there's a chance of him leaving it weakens Liverpool's hand when in negotiation with other clubs.

Or invites more bidders. Depends on how you look at it.

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 23/05/2009
XABI ALONSO has stunned Liverpool by admitting he wants to quit Anfield.

The Spanish midfielder is ready to hand in a written transfer request.

His agent Inaki Ibanez met Rafa Benitez on Friday to inform the manager of Alonso's wish to leave. And despite the Merseyside giants insisting they do not want to sell him, Alonso's stance will trigger an auction for the 27-year-old.

Real Madrid, Arsenal, Manchester City and Juventus have tried to buy Alonso in the last 12 months and Madrid will be favourites this time.

But Benitez will start the bidding at £18million and use the cash to try to sign Manchester United's Carlos Tevez.

Alonso's relationship with Benitez deteriorated during the courting of Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

A friend of Alonso said: "Xabi loves Liverpool but he doesn't feel he can stay. He has not been happy for a long time and wants to go somewhere he feels he can enjoy his football again."

Alonso joined from Real Sociedad for £10m in 2004.

Gareth Barry and Tevez for £15 Million odd for Alonso?

Sounds like Good business to me.

Fuckeroo.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=33578.msg873333#msg873333 date=1243117471]
Gareth Barry and Tevez for £15 Million odd for Alonso?

Sounds like Good business to me.
[/quote]

benitez would be getting exactly what he wanted last summer, in this scenario. alonso for barry and 5 - 10 mill in his pocket.

i'll be gutted, but i sort of admire benitez's balls :)

You might admire his balls, but he's a brainless fucker isn't he ?

[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33578.msg873336#msg873336 date=1243118180]
Has this been confirmed?
[/quote]

Well since it's in the NOTW, you're obliged to comment about how it's a rag, how Bascombe no longer has any sources at LFC etc etc etc

Then cry, cos the cunt has been right on all these exclusives so far.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873339#msg873339 date=1243118801]
You might admire his balls, but he's a brainless fucker isn't he ?

[/quote]

he's too complicated to be just brainless. i don't understand half the stuff he does, but i don't think i'd be a good manager anyway.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873342#msg873342 date=1243119049]
[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33578.msg873336#msg873336 date=1243118180]
Has this been confirmed?
[/quote]

Well since it's in the NOTW, you're obliged to comment about how it's a rag, how Bascombe no longer has any sources at LFC etc etc etc

Then cry, cos the cunt has been right on all these exclusives so far.
[/quote]

Yep, every fucking site kicks off about him when says something about the club, but there's a reason he's allowed to keep writing them. He gets it right almost every time. A LOT more times than the Echo now get it right since he left.

Back
Top Bottom