• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The incredible Xabi Alonso thread 2009.

Re: Xabi Alonso will stay at Anfield, says Rafa Benitez

You're reminding me of a Shankly quote:

"Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots"

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873347#msg873347 date=1243119363]

[/quote]

i've seen enough evidence that that isn't the case, though.

So is Rafa trying to position it that Xabi wants to leave himself rather than it being Rafa's decision?

Or does Xabi genuinely want to leave?

Either way, Barry and Tevez will do. As good as Xabi is, it's not the end of the world if he goes.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=33578.msg873346#msg873346 date=1243119320]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873342#msg873342 date=1243119049]
[quote author=Avmenon link=topic=33578.msg873336#msg873336 date=1243118180]
Has this been confirmed?
[/quote]

Well since it's in the NOTW, you're obliged to comment about how it's a rag, how Bascombe no longer has any sources at LFC etc etc etc

Then cry, cos the cunt has been right on all these exclusives so far.
[/quote]

Yep, every fucking site kicks off about him when says something about the club, but there's a reason he's allowed to keep writing them. He gets it right almost every time. A LOT more times than the Echo now get it right since he left.
[/quote]

Fucking shit.

Asim better hide the razorblades from Anita.

The only way we're ever going to win 19 is to keep our best players.

This is fucking weak.

It was obvious that the Xabi and Rafa relationship was not what it should be, even before he was touting Xabi unashamedly around Europe to fund Barry last summer.

This was inevitable, as most of us really knew.

I would have sold Xabi last year, but clearly I would have been wrong, he has had a great season.

However now that push is coming to shove, almost literally, I think it will be a good deal.

If it helps us fund Tevez that is great , Barry is a very competent replacement for Xabi.

It also means we have money available for a good right back and a wide player.

Goodbye Xabi, thanks for everything , you have been a gem of a player, most of your tenure, and taken the city to your heart, good luck

regards

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=33578.msg873348#msg873348 date=1243119512]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg873347#msg873347 date=1243119363]

[/quote]

i've seen enough evidence that that isn't the case, though.
[/quote]

Give me the one liner over the evidence based conclusion any day

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33578.msg873352#msg873352 date=1243119973]
It was obvious that the Xabi and Rafa relationship was not what it should be, even before he was touting Xabi unashamedly around Europe to fund Barry last summer.

I would have sold Xabi last year, but clearly I would have been wrong, he has had a great season.

However now that push is coming to shove, almost literally, I think it will be a good deal.

If it helps us fund Tevez that is great , Barry is a very competent replacement for Xabi.

Goodbye Xabi, thanks for everything , you have been a gem of a player, most of your tenure, and taken the city to your heart, good luck

regards
[/quote]

at this point in time, we should be making a 10/15 million pound profit out of a barry/alonso swap.

Rafa can position himself however he wants. Everyone concerned know he's responsible for this, and he'll be held directly accountable if this trade-off doesn't work out.

Xabi Alonso has been our second best player in a year where we nearly took the title.

In what will be a defining year, many have commented that we needed 'the perfect summer'; selling one of our best players doesn't feature in that.

I'm genuinely gutted.

NOTW and no direct quotes other than 'a close friend'. Load of BS.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873362#msg873362 date=1243120709]
NOTW and no direct quotes other than 'a close friend'. Load of BS.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure about that Anita.

I'm not really Sheik, but it's just what I'd like to believe. Squiggles is spot on, it makes no sense, he's so key to the way we play in a season when we've seen the best of this team, why would he want to sell someone who's at the heart of it. I can't ever remember us selling a player who was at the peak of his career with us during my life time.

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873366#msg873366 date=1243120923]
why would he want to sell someone who's at the heart of it.
[/quote]

Because if you cross him you're history?

Benitez wants him gone but will only allow it if a very good price is paid which will dull the fan's anger.
There's a game of cat and mouse going on but regardless, I reckon Alonso will be gone.

So that Xabi's gone thread has been merged with this?

Well, Xabi did play well this season after being touted for sale. He was gash the season or two before this one. He upped his game and had a point to prove before he goes (if he actually goes), that was good for him, and us and eventually for the value we get as well, either he stays or goes.

No one is indispensable. However it might disrupt our next year challenge if he goes. Having said that, if can replace him with someone similar and who can contribute more goals, we will move on.

It is going to be a long summer as Anita says...

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=33578.msg873355#msg873355 date=1243120240]

regards
[/quote]

at this point in time, we should be making a 10/15 million pound profit out of a barry/alonso swap.
[/quote]

That plus the Keane money to secure Tevez.
We are left with Rafa's "pot" for this year plus around £10-£15 million in sale of deadwood to secure a right back and a wide man.

Sorry 'Neets the inevitable is going to happen

regards

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=33578.msg873368#msg873368 date=1243121168]

No one is indispensable. However it might disrupt our next year challenge if he goes. Having said that, if can replace him with someone similar and who can contribute more goals, we will move on.

[/quote]

Gareth Barry will replace him Y. The right move would be to replace Lucas with Barry which would be improving the squad no end. Replacing Alonso with Barry isn't.

And we'll be further from the title next year because of it.

And stuck with Benitez for four more years.

My credentials as a fan are going to be tested severely in the coming years

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33578.msg873370#msg873370 date=1243121214]
[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=33578.msg873355#msg873355 date=1243120240]

regards
[/quote]

[/quote]

That plus the Keane money to secure Tevez.
We are left with Rafa's "pot" for this year plus around £10-£15 million in sale of deadwood to secure a right back and a wide man.

regards
[/quote]

don't forget the centre back. i will be amazed if rafa doesn't splash out a fair wad on a hip (pia) replacement.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33578.msg873367#msg873367 date=1243121118]
[/quote]

Benitez wants him gone but will only allow it if a very good price is paid which will dull the fan's anger.
There's a game of cat and mouse going on but regardless, I reckon Alonso will be gone.
[/quote]

But that makes no sense.

If it was a disciplinary matter or 'crossing the manager' whatever, than Alonso would be sold, regardless. The £14million offers would have been enough. And if he couldn't get Barry he would have gone elsewhere.

However, this summer it seems more a case of the right money, suggesting that it isn't just a case of wanting him gone, it's a question of money. Since when have we been in the business of selling our best players for money? You need money for good players, not the other way around.

[quote author=Vlads Quiff link=topic=33578.msg873370#msg873370 date=1243121214]

regards
[/quote]

I'll be so gutted.

:(

[quote author=Anita link=topic=33578.msg873375#msg873375 date=1243121431]
[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=33578.msg873367#msg873367 date=1243121118]
[/quote]

[/quote]

But that makes no sense.

If it was a disciplinary matter or 'crossing the manager' whatever, than Alonso would be sold, regardless.
[/quote]

What? And prove that's he (Benitez) is a control freak?

Barry for Xabi is a move sideway. But if Tevez does come, it is more than adequate replacements.

However if it all goes turtle, Rafa's gone by end of next season so proving Ros & Sheik point that Rafa's a cunt.

The stupid thing is, Tevez would be a lot more effective with Xabi Alonso in the team.

We've got Dossena, Lucas, Degen, Babel and Riera all as saleable assests, because they haven't contributed enough to Liverpool football club.

And Xabi is the one being sold when he's a pillar of our side? There's no reasoning however you look at it.

Fuck you Benitez.  

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=33578.msg873380#msg873380 date=1243121556]
Barry for Xabi is a move sideway. But if Tevez does come, it is more than adequate replacements.

However if it all goes turtle, Rafa's gone by end of next season so proving Ros & Sheik point that Rafa's a cunt.
[/quote]

Errr.....I don't think I've called him a cunt mate.

Like we don't know he's a flippin control freak.

I've been so up and down with Rafa, this will be a definite down.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=33578.msg873384#msg873384 date=1243121595]
The stupid thing is, Tevez would be a lot be effective with Xabi Alonso in the team.

We've got Dossena, Lucas, Degen, Babel and Riera all as saleable assests, because they haven't contributed enough to Liverpool football club.

And Xabi is the one being sold when he's a pillar of our side? There's no reasoning however you look at it.

Fuck you Benitez.
[/quote]

Post of the thread.

Sorry Sheik. So it is only Ros.

Anita, when to comes to control freaks, there is no bigger one than Fergie and look at his team/s....

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=33578.msg873380#msg873380 date=1243121556]
Barry for Xabi is a move sideway downwards.
[/quote]

Hi everyone. I've just joined here.

From what I gather, Bascombe's source is Parry, so if this is true, it's absolutely shocking stuff for a player to be treated in this way. You do not sell your best players. Xabi has been our best player by a country mile this season.

Trust me, we'll be a hell of a lot weaker without Xabi conducting the orchestra from the centre of the pitch. Barry is a nothing player. I like to call him Mr Invisible because that's exactly what he is.

True Y1, but for the most part Fergie's had good reason to sell any of the players he has for disciplinary reasons, fights, books etc. But if Rafa wants to sell Alsono because he missed the Inter game to see his son being born, then the word Ross used for him is pretty apt.

[quote author=MaschedUp link=topic=33578.msg873393#msg873393 date=1243122045]
Hi everyone. I've just joined here.

From what I gather, Bascombe's source is Parry, so if this is true, it's absolutely shocking stuff for a player to be treated in this way. You do not sell your best players. Xabi has been our best player by a country mile this season.

Trust me, we'll be a hell of a lot weaker without Xabi conducting the orchestra from the centre of the pitch. Barry is a nothing player. I like to call him Mr Invisible because that's exactly what he is.
[/quote]

it would actually be awesome if he was invisible.

Back
Top Bottom