• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you are aware that suggesting signings on here does not influence who Klopp or FSG will actually consider.

How does this fix the central midfield issue?
I had. The MF issue should and could be addressed in Jan, and quite cheaply too.
Douglas Luiz plus either Alex Mac Allister or Youri Tielemans.

I wonder if you are aware that suggesting signings on here does not influence who Klopp or FSG will actually consider.
Yeah I know... I just don't rate Jude as highly as others

They (FSG) obviously have to invest next season in a new midfield, but actually, I'm still not happy with the forward line, if it weren't for how bad the midfield situation is now we would be talking more about the forward line situation.

Losing Mane (and a consistent Firmino) we lost something...I can't quite put my finger on it... less aggression? less flair? less telepathy?
The old front three seemed to anticipate each other movements it was beautiful to watch at times. But our forward line now seems to play like individuals.

Diaz is a great dribbler but for some reason, Mane had higher telepathy/anticipation levels with Robertson, Firmino and Salah that we seem to lack at the moment in our system.

It could be because of the Nunez experiment. If Nunez had settled in quickly then the forward line obviously wouldn't be as bad, instead our overall attacking play this season sometimes looks clunky and predictable.

So what do we do...? Fix the midfield first and hope Nunez settles in the forward line, or buy another high-quality forward player this winter/next summer?

They (FSG) obviously have to invest next season in a new midfield, but actually, I'm still not happy with the forward line, if it weren't for how bad the midfield situation is now we would be talking more about the forward line situation.

Losing Mane (and a consistent Firmino) we lost something...I can't quite put my finger on it... less aggression? less flair? less telepathy?
The old front three seemed to anticipate each other movements it was beautiful to watch at times. But our forward line now seems to play like individuals.

Diaz is a great dribbler but for some reason, Mane had higher telepathy/anticipation levels with Robertson, Firmino and Salah that we seem to lack at the moment in our system.

It could be because of the Nunez experiment. If Nunez had settled in quickly then the forward line obviously wouldn't be as bad, instead our overall attacking play this season sometimes looks clunky and predictable.

So what do we do...? Fix the midfield first and hope Nunez settles in the forward line, or buy another high-quality forward player this winter/next summer?

Well, partly it can be fixed by time spent playing together or on the training pitch, but I do keep thinking that I want to see Diaz play in a free role mostly through the middle and perhaps bring in another LW who is more of a scorer (Shakhtar's Mudryk looks very interesting...). Love Diaz, but he is a creator and an X-factor rather than a killer and a consistent ball progressor; I think he could cause opposition huge problems playing in #10 (a bit like Ox did pre-injury) with his direct running, good link-up and ability to shoot from anywhere. It does seem the accents have shifted in our attack since Mane's departure – Salah is now creating more chances for others, Nunez is making all the runs, but no one is actually putting the ball in the net consistently.

That would be one way to solve the midfield problem – switch to a double-pivot with a disciplined midfield pair and 4 high-energy pacy attackers in front of them.

Last edited:
In 12 matches this season we have only failed to score once (vs Everton where we were profligate personified) and only failed to hit 2 or more on 4 other occasions (so hit 2 or more on 7 occasions). Scoring goals per se isn't our issue, it's our hapless defending that is costing us points/games.

There's little wrong with the attack that improving in midfield and defence wouldn't cure. No need to start messing around with formations and player position switches. Not that Klopp would anyway.

Liverpool's owners are willing to fund a big-money transfer in January if manager Jurgen Klopp and the club's recruitment team find the right player.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-liverpool-jan-signing/
I don't really know what that means, does it mean that they are willing to fund a player as long as it is less than £60mil, or are we talking Jude Bellingham type money...?

so many rumours right now, who knows..it’s tedious with them all init

What, we're not going to sign Jude "The Right Player, He's the One" Bellingham?

thumb_let-me-show-you-my-shocked-face-quitmemes-com-14212859.png

Liverpool's owners are willing to fund a big-money transfer in January if manager Jurgen Klopp and the club's recruitment team find the right player.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-liverpool-jan-signing/
I don't really know what that means, does it mean that they are willing to fund a player as long as it is less than £60mil, or are we talking Jude Bellingham type money...?
I still think we’d didn’t address the midfield because Klopp thought it was fine there and not because FSG are tight gits..

We clearly want and have been pursuing Bellingham so must be prepared to go to some lengths to sign him. I reckon we’re trying to sign him in Jan with him joining in the summer.
However, we might just get blown out the water.

In which case we need to get alternatives sorted or we’ll get desperate

I still think we’d didn’t address the midfield because Klopp thought it was fine there and not because FSG are tight gits..
They were going to go the Monaco kid but failed, Klopp had said so often we don't operate like other clubs and he would have been more adventurous with signings.
The likelihood is the CL is all we have of winning something decent 3 finals in 5 years. We should qualify from the groups if we beat Rangers and not lose to Ajax.
Jan we need IMHO 3 signings.As Melo needs to fuck-off back to Italy. Naby has already played his last game as well as Ox.
2 MF and 1 RB.

Seeing as its a loan signing I couldnt care less. End it in January and sign a midfielder.

Seeing as its a loan signing I couldnt care less. End it in January and sign a midfielder.

Apart from the 4.5m euros we paid Juve we can’t afford to.
So far the transfer supremo has signed an injured RB and CM, his luck needs to improve or we may have to make an offer that can’t refused to the old supremo who’s still available.

Apart from the 4.5m euros we paid Juve we can’t afford to.
So far the transfer supremo has signed an injured RB and CM, his luck needs to improve or we may have to make an offer that can’t refused to the old supremo who’s still available.

Don't worry about Arthur. Apparently, he is going to spend the time injured researching the history of tribes in the German Black Forest region to impress Klopp.

We are dickheads.

Ah it was posted in this thread already.

Did we keep the receipt? 2 months and about 8 minutes of football for the nonsense signing to be proven a disaster.

So we bought a massively unfit player and trained him until he broke. Lol.
What a pointless signing. Luckily the world cup will take a month off his recovery time.
Doubt he'll play though, another Ben Davies, I'm guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom