• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Reus delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have flashbacks of watching that FA cup final when Cantona scored at my mates house. It was a united stronghold, his dad screamed in my face when they scored... I was 12.

I can't even imagine dealing with that shit regularly
1-4 at old Trafford. One of the best days in my life. Too bad they won the league that season.

I still have flashbacks of watching that FA cup final when Cantona scored at my mates house. It was a united stronghold, his dad screamed in my face when they scored... I was 12.

I can't even imagine dealing with that shit regularly

The year before, I went to watch Everton play them in the final and win, with my mates who were Evertonian's. I was made up for them because my Dad's an Evertonian. The following year I watched us in that game with the same Evertonian's, while getting the piss took out of me once Cantona scored and they inevitably won. So yeah, Everton get no sympathy or mild encouragement from me anymore.

Seems as not everyone is 100% familiar with just how good Marco is, maybe someone should make a new thread called "The Reus Identity"

The year before, I went to watch Everton play them in the final and win, with my mates who were Evertonian's. I was made up for them because my Dad's an Evertonian. The following year I watched us in that game with the same Evertonian's, while getting the piss took out of me once Cantona scored and they inevitably won. So yeah, Everton get no sympathy or mild encouragement from me anymore.

Not cool. That's jealousy for you.

Whilst their a bigger club (we're hardly small), whether their team is better than ours is very debatable, and they also have no champions league football. To same we have no chance in hell of competing with them is just bullshit, we very much have the upper hand, and they'd have to counteract that fact with money.

Debatable? It's rubbish, and - judging by what he's been saying in the papers - Mad Louie himself would agree with that.

They're not a better team than us. They have Van Gaal and might attract a couple of big players, but we've just bought a few big players of our own to add to our already good squad. They have Rooney (who's fat and past it) and RVP (who's on his way to being past it).

Better me arse.

I think United probably have a slightly bigger draw among foreign players, due to recent history and their foreign manager. But neither of us really do have a great record in attracting big players.

It's money that gets foreign players into this league.

They've just paid marquee level money for a young unproven left back who's got one career assist and a midfielder who's massively overrated. Our fans would be spitting feathers if we'd done that

I think they do have a better team. Our back line might be better but I think their attack is a lot better than ours.

Van Persie's got one season (if that) left in him at that level, Rooney's peaked, Welbeck's good but not outstanding and Hernandez is an excellent sub but gets lost in the rush when he plays from the start. Apart from that, spot on.

Van Persie's got one season (if that) left in him at that level, Rooney's peaked, Welbeck's good but not outstanding and Hernandez is an excellent sub but gets lost in the rush when he plays from the start. Apart from that, spot on.

Suppose Mata could be half decent

As it stands, our best team vs theirs:

Mignolet ------------------------- De Gea

Johnson -------------------------- Rafael
Lovren ----------------------------- Jones
Skrtel ------------------------------- Evans
Enrique ---------------------------- Shaw

Gerrard ---------------------------- Carrick
Henderson ------------------------ Herrera

Lallana ----------------------------- Rooney
Coutinho -------------------------- Mata
Sterling ---------------------------- Valencia

Sturridge -------------------------- Van Persie

I think we've done a good job filling out our midfield options (though we could really do with a proper game controlling CM), and Lovren will really strengthen our defence.

But the attack without Suarez now looks very thin.

United's attackers were lacklustre last season, but you can't underestimate how much Moyes fucked their morale over.

On their day, RvP and Rooney are absolutely brilliant - at a level approaching Suarez. They might not reach that level again, but they'll be much much better than under Moyes.

And Mata in his two years at Chelsea was even more productive than Suarez. Hernandez and Welbeck are not world beaters, but very solid players as well.

Without Moyes, that's very much a top 4 (if not better) attack. And better than ours as things stand.

As it stands, our best team vs theirs:

Mignolet ------------(draw, not impressed by either)------------- De Gea

Johnson -------------------------- Rafael
Lovren ----------------------------- Jones
Skrtel ------------------------------- Evans
Enrique ---------------------------- Shaw

Gerrard ---------------------------- Carrick
Henderson -----------(draw, not seen enough of Herrera)------------- Herrera

Lallana ----------------------------- Rooney
Coutinho -------------------------- Mata
Sterling ---------------------------- Valencia

Sturridge ------------(draw)-------------- Van Persie

6-2, 3 draws. Fuck their team.

I think we've done a good job filling out our midfield options (though we could really do with a proper game controlling CM), and Lovren will really strengthen our defence.

United's attackers were lacklustre last season, but you can't underestimate how much Moyes fucked their morale over.

On their day, RvP and Rooney are absolutely brilliant - at a level approaching Suarez. They might not reach that level again, but they'll be much much better than under Moyes.

And Mata in his two years at Chelsea was even more productive than Suarez. Hernandez and Welbeck are not world beaters, but very solid players as well.

Without Moyes, that's very much a top 4 (if not better) attack. And better than ours as things stand.

Finally.

They've just paid marquee level money for a young unproven left back who's got one career assist and a midfielder who's massively overrated. Our fans would be spitting feathers if we'd done that

It's amazing from the other side of the fence though isn't it? If we'd have done it, we'd be wasting money. They do it and all we get is "why weren't we in for them", while the money we have spent gets relatively mooted response.

I'm inclined to agree with dmish.

I think there isn't a great deal in it when you look at both teams on paper (though I'd rather have ours) but last season proved that a team that looks good on paper may not prove to be quite as good on the pitch and vice versa. I expect Van Gaal to get a lot more out of that team.

I think United probably have a slightly bigger draw among foreign players, due to recent history and their foreign manager. But neither of us really do have a great record in attracting big players.

It's money that gets foreign players into this league.

It's just as much location as money IMHO. Chelsea/Arsenal and even Spurs don't have an issue attracting top quality players whereas we (and even United) struggle. Unless of course you're prepared to pay them x10 their worth a la City (and possibly United too it now seems - love to see what's going to happen in that squad when they get back to Carrington. Knock Knock - Mr LvG I want a raise in line with Shaw, Knock Knock - Mr LvG I want a raise in line with Shaw,Knock Knock - Mr LvG I want a raise in line with Shaw, etc. etc.).

I don't agree. To me our attack doesn't look thin at all. It's unproven, but that's a very different matter (one which will affect ManU as well when their comings and goings have been completed), and IMHO it has at least as good a chance of outshining theirs as vice versa. Not sure I understand what you're getting at with regard to Mata - more productive than Suarez by what criterion?

I don't agree. To me our attack doesn't look thin at all. It's unproven, but that's a very different matter (one which will affect ManU as well when their comings and goings have been completed), and IMHO it has at least as good a chance of outshining theirs as vice versa. Not sure I understand what you're getting at with regard to Mata - more productive than Suarez by what criterion?
Mata's Chelsea stats:

2011-12 - 12 goals, 20 assists
2012-13 - 20 goals, 28 assists

That's a goal involvement rate of 40 per season. Higher than Suarez's at Liverpool.

As for our attack not being thin, I find that baffling. Assuming Borini leaves, we have two strikers at the club - Sturridge and Lambert, one of whom is injury prone, and the other 32 and hardly top class.

United have 4 - van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck - 3 of whom are proven goalscorers at the top level.

In the AM/winger category, we have good depth of course - Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho and Markovic. That's a very solid bunch of options, and a few of those will hopefully be world class in 2 years.

But United have equally good depth, although the quality is a bit varying (from crap to world class) - Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, Young and Valencia is excellent strength in depth. You may discount Young and Valencia, but Mata atm is far ahead of Lallana and Kagawa and Januzaj are comparable talentwise to Coutinho and Sterling (though I'd prefer our pair).

On the whole, their attack is better on paper. There isn't a question about it in my mind. The question is whether the Moyes effect will continue to linger.

Of course this might all change come the end of the transfer window.

Let's agree to differ, for a variety of reasons.

I'll be very surprised indeed if we don't sign another striker whether or not Borini goes, and I don't agree with your summary of either Sturridge (who's had his share of knocks but falls some way short of being "injury prone" for my money) or Lambert, who IMO doesn't deserve a "hardly top class" dismissal, being an intelligent and versatile player who took to international football immediately when he got his chance. I assume you're including Hernandez in the "proven goalscorer" category, but I don't share that view either - he's a talented player who can be dangerous on his day but has failed to establish himself up front for them even when they've been short otherwise.

In midfield I actually wouldn't discount Valencia, who's a decent footballer (Young could be, but he's a big-time Charlie who frequently can't be @rsed). However, while I like Mata and was sorry the Mancs got him, I don't see him as that far ahead of Lallana. I do however see Sterling as being far ahead of the other players with whom you compare him above (including Coutinho at this point TBF, though I think he's a major talent in the making).

Not pressing further, but just on the Hernandez 'proven goalscorer' thing, here are his goalscoring stats:

2010-11 - 21
2011-12 - 12
2012-13 - 18
2013-14 - 10

For a third or fourth choice striker, I can't think of anyone in the league with a better scoring record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom