• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Reus delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendan Rodgers close to signing Reus.

Bt0aC8yIUAAMXD5.jpg

If he's refusing to sign another contract now, & his release clause is due up next summer, then we should offer 40m now.

The prices are insane this summer, if that clause wasn't there then we'd have to pay way way over that amount.
What about the +£2? (I was going to say £1 but that didn't work)

Why don't we just bid for him? what is there to lose by offering the 35/40m and seeing what they say?

We tried with Sanchez so that proves we at least had some interest in an elite attacking player.

Why don't we just bid for him? what is there to lose by offering the 35/40m and seeing what they say?

We tried with Sanchez so that proves we at least had some interest in an elite attacking player.
Who says we haven't.
Everyone's a know all in transfer Windows....

[article= Metro]Liverpool could sign Borussia Dortmund attacker Marco Reus for just £19.8million after new details about his release clause were leaked.

The Reds are said to be leading the race for Germany international Reus, who has rejected a new contract at Dortmund and looks set to leave.

His release clause, which comes into effect next summer, was thought to be worth £27million, but Bild says interested clubs have now been alerted that it is actually as low as £19.8million.

That means that Liverpool could sign the 25-year-old for less than £20million, if they successfully fend off interest from other clubs.

Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have both been linked with Reus, while Barcelona are also known to have a fleeting interest.

However, with all three already well stocked with midfielders and with Reus said to be looking for a big project at his next club, Liverpool will firmly be in the race.
[/article]

You have just to love these release clauses, eh? So who let on that it actually does exists at the moment and not next season (never mind its value)?

You have just to love these release clauses, eh? So who let on that it actually does exists at the moment and not next season (never mind its value)?

I only read that the value is lower, not that it is already in effect.

Matters not though as it is media bollocks and the point still remains; why would one of the best players in the world choose to come to us currently. He'll either go to BM now or wait a year and go to BM / RM or Barca

IMO that underrates the attraction of coming to a team which plays as we're playing under Brendan, has just got back in the CL and is looking to re-establish one of the most illustrious dynasties in the history of football. It isn't so hard to imagine that top players could be attracted by such a prospect. Suarez was.

IMO that underrates the attraction of coming to a team which plays as we're playing under Brendan, has just got back in the CL and is looking to re-establish one of the most illustrious dynasties in the history of football. It isn't so hard to imagine that top players could be attracted by such a prospect. Suarez was.

I actually think this is correct. We're a very exciting "project", as lots of foreign players like to say. However, it's very rare that a top player will take this into consideration when making what could be described as a sideways move. Unfortunately, money and reputation come into it far more often these days, with us not being top of the tree in either of those factors any more. However, you'd like to think a player like Reus, or whoever, would take a chance at being part of such an exciting prospect, but sadly it happens less and less these days.

Quite. Money, reputation and where the Mrs wants to live, appaz, if Suarez and Sanchez are anything to go off.

To be honest, the exciting project line is probably doesn't convince you much when you're playing for Dortmund under Klopp anyway.

To be honest, the exciting project line is probably doesn't convince you much when you're playing for Dortmund under Klopp anyway.

Maybe, maybe not. He's an excellent manager and they're doing well, but I wonder if even he thinks they have the potential we've got.

Maybe, maybe not. He's an excellent manager and they're doing well, but I wonder if even he thinks they have the potential we've got.

Dortmund have recently won the league and appeared in a CL final.

They look unlikely to enjoy similar levels of success in the near future but I think it's fair to say that someone like Reus wouldn't look at Liverpool and be wowed by the possibilities. We're a risk when you consider where we've been for the last few years.

Dortmund have recently won the league and appeared in a CL final.

They look unlikely to enjoy similar levels of success in the near future but I think it's fair to say that someone like Reus wouldn't look at Liverpool and be wowed by the possibilities. We're a risk when you consider where we've been for the last few years.

We are, but I'm more confident than you that the situation could appeal to him. It's actually that element of uncertainty which could make him a hero if he turns out to be the special signing who lights the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom