• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Reus delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hernandez is probably on his way out though, and Mata seem to have gone of the boil a bit since his move.
No guarantee that he'll reach those numbers again.

Utd will obviously be better and challenge for a top 4 spot. Van Gaal is probably his own biggest enemy.
He can easily fuck things up aswell with his massive bloated head.

That's the hope, but his track record is generally one of a few years of success followed by the bust-ups.

Going by that trend, it unfortunately seems that United will be back challenging for the top 4 this season. We can only hope the bust-ups happen sooner rather than later. At any rate, they're not going to be the joke like they were under Moyes last season.

That's the hope, but his track record is generally one of a few years of success followed by the bust-ups.

Going by that trend, it unfortunately seems that United will be back challenging for the top 4 this season. We can only hope the bust-ups happen sooner rather than later. At any rate, they're not going to be the joke like they were under Moyes last season.

People make predictions like this all the time, I don't know why they bother. Van Gaal has done nothing in the Premiership yet, no one knows how he himself will adapt. The point still stands, the idea that their team is "better than ours" is wide of the mark. They might have a touch more depth in attack, but we've got the better younger players, while their better players are the older ones who won't be around much longer. We've got to add again to the side so there's a way to go this Summer (for both of us), but like I said, the suggestion that they are better is wrong. It's pretty even with us having a good blend of Premiership experience and younger up and coming quality.

I don't see anyone in their team who's as young and potentially as great as Sterling or Coutinho. That's before we even throw Markovic into the equation. Aside from RVP and Rooney (who both arguably have seen their best days), their midfield and attack, including the fairly prolific but largely difficult to accommodate Hernandez, is well behind ours IMO. Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas, Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso, Sturridge is a brilliant mix of talent, most of whom have their best years ahead of them. United are still trying to find an identity again and while they might be up there again, there's still loads of work to do, regardless of how much everyone is blowing smoke up LVG's arse.

It amazes me, and I'm not really getting at you, the amount of posters we have on here who can't wait to champion United's cause and put us down in comparison.

Have anyone seen the pics of Luke Shaw in training?
What the fuck did he eat this summer??

Anyways.. it seems "fantastic" LGV has identified James McCarthy as the man to take their midfield forward.

Pffffff.

Man Utds team at present is not as good as ours no way.

Chelsea, City look the two best

Then us and Arse

Then united and spurs.

With 5 weeks of transfers to go

Have anyone seen the pics of Luke Shaw in training?
What the fuck did he eat this summer??

I think it's just a dodgy pic, cos there's other pics of him pre season looking normal. I presume his fitness is being assessed not on what body shape he is, there's skinny fuckers that blow out of their arses running for a bus, and fat boys that run marathons.

People make predictions like this all the time, I don't know why they bother. Van Gaal has done nothing in the Premiership yet, no one knows how he himself will adapt. The point still stands, the idea that their team is "better than ours" is wide of the mark. They might have a touch more depth in attack, but we've got the better younger players, while their better players are the older ones who won't be around much longer. We've got to add again to the side so there's a way to go this Summer (for both of us), but like I said, the suggestion that they are better is wrong. It's pretty even with us having a good blend of Premiership experience and younger up and coming quality.

I don't see anyone in their team who's as young and potentially as great as Sterling or Coutinho. That's before we even throw Markovic into the equation. Aside from RVP and Rooney (who both arguably have seen their best days), their midfield and attack, including the fairly prolific but largely difficult to accommodate Hernandez, is well behind ours IMO. Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas, Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe, Suso, Sturridge is a brilliant mix of talent, most of whom have their best years ahead of them. United are still trying to find an identity again and while they might be up there again, there's still loads of work to do, regardless of how much everyone is blowing smoke up LVG's arse.

It amazes me, and I'm not really getting at you, the amount of posters we have on here who can't wait to champion United's cause and put us down in comparison.
I never said their squad was better than ours. I already said our defence and midfield is well better.

Their attack is superior as things stand. I thought I did a fairly detailed comparison of our attacks in my reply to Jules earlier. That might change come the end of the transfer window - but both of us know we're talking about things as they stand.

As for the van Gaal point, I am loath to defend United, but it's just an acknowledgment of the fact that we're going to be battling them for a top 4 spot this year. This isn't an outlandish 'prediction' as you call it - just acknowledging what is a very possible scenario.

Just to add to this, have a look at the below photo, there is no way after last season are we any less of an attractive proposition than Utd.

BtyTIUZIgAA_vYo.jpg

Just to add to this, have a look at the below photo, there is no way after last season are we any less of an attractive proposition than Utd.

Nice to see us at the top but I doubt that has any influence at all on a player's decision to come to LFC or not. And that is only TV money.

Nice to see us at the top but I doubt that has any influence at all on a player's decision to come to LFC or not. And that is only TV money.
From an awareness point of view the more we are in the public eye, the more exposure we get, increased fan following, a buzz about the team etc etc, of course it assists in making us look a more attractive proposition.

Combined with some sexy football, a brilliant young manager and all the above we are streets ahead of utd

From an awareness point of view the more we are in the public eye, the more exposure we get, increased fan following, a buzz about the team etc etc, of course it assists in making us look a more attractive proposition.

Combined with some sexy football, a brilliant young manager and all the above we are streets ahead of utd

Nah. Red-tinted specs there mate.

It depends on the level of the player of course but for those top 2 tiers : -
Pros : LFC name & history, manager, style of play, some of our players (esp. SG but not for much longer), 2nd last season so in the CL next.
Cons : Location, not considered in the top 2/3 teams in the PL, Location, not a great record in the PL/CL over the past 5/6 years, Location, Not seen as a team willing to invest in the top players, Location, We don't pay as much as some clubs, weather, no beach (Crosby/Southport don't count), we don't speak Spanish, Location.

Nah. Red-tinted specs there mate.

It depends on the level of the player of course but for those top 2 tiers : -
Pros : name & history, manager is known world wide, style of play, some of our players (Rooney, RVP, Mata), in the CL every year for the past 20 bar one, won multiple leagues in that time
Cons : Location, not considered in the top 2/3 teams in the PL, Location, not a great record in the PL/CL over the past 5/6 years, Location, Not seen as a team willing to invest in the top players, Location, We don't pay as much as some clubs, weather, no beach (Crosby/Southport don't count), we don't speak Spanish, Location.

You could write the same for United with more pro's, they're at least as big a draw if not more. One year out of the CL won't change it much.

But they've struggled to get top names in the past. City, due to money, Chelsea and Arsenal, due to location, all seem to be a bigger draw. We've basically never bought an established top player from outside England(Suarez and Torres arguably are, but for me, they still had something to prove, and they used us to get to another club once established), United arguably have the same problems.

Morientes

Litmanen

Fair points, but both were on the downward end of their career. I should have said we don't do it very often, compared to the other teams.

We haven't done it this summer either, and I can't see it happening. The only credible links seem to be with players playing in England, or relative unknowns from outside of it.

You could write the same for United with more pro's, they're at least as big a draw if not more. One year out of the CL won't change it much.

But they've struggled to get top names in the past. City, due to money, Chelsea and Arsenal, due to location, all seem to be a bigger draw. We've basically never bought an established top player from outside England(Suarez and Torres arguably are, but for me, they still had something to prove, and they used us to get to another club once established), United arguably have the same problems.

Exactamundo. Morientes & Litmanen were both knocking on a bit. United definitely hold more attraction to today's top stars than we do .. but that is still not saying much because it's a tough sell for them too. £250 - 300k per week should do it though.

I get all excited (and would love to see them here) when the big names are linked with us. However in my heart I know it's not going to happen (until maybe we win the PL 3 in 5 years and knock out a couple of CLs in that time for good measure).

Fair points, but both were on the downward end of their career. I should have said we don't do it very often, compared to the other teams.

We haven't done it this summer either, and I can't see it happening. The only credible links seem to be with players playing in England, or relative unknowns from outside of it.

Riedle

Lets just say that the average age of anyone you're going to come up with is over 30?

We haven't signed a player in their prime, and the only two on the cusp of their prime were Suarez and Torres.

Morientes was leading scorer in the Champion's League the season before we bought him.

Yeah but Real didn't want him and he was at the tail end of his career. The two big signings we've made have been Torres and Suarez, then you could argue maybe about the likes of Aquilani.

The better players we've signed have been on the up from lower tier clubs, like Alonso, Suarez, Torres, Kuyt, etc. Then you've got the likes of Hyypia who was a gem, Didi who was well known but still relatively under the radar. There's a few, but we don't do what Chelsea, Arsenal and City do, in going out and buying some players who are the type that would easily attract the attention of Barca. If we go head to head for anyone like that, you know we'll lose. But that's ok, it makes it all the sweeter when we put together a side that can fuck them over.

Liverpool Transfer News: Reds pounce on Reus talks as star heads for Anfield exit

LIVERPOOL are ready to capitalise on the stalling talks between Marco Reus and Borussia Dortmund, while negotiations for centre back Daniel Agger have started with Barcelona.

30​
By Gary Jones/Published 29th July 2014
53d7c123200a6_Rodgers.jpg
SUMMER DEALS: Brendan Rodgers has his eye on signing Marco Reus from Borussia Dortmund [GETTY]
Liverpool and Manchester United are keeping tabs on Marco Reus' contract negotiations.
Reports in Germany suggest that talks between the striker and Borussia Dortmund have broken down and that Reus' £27.9m release clause remains in place.
The Premier League giants can only watch on helplessly though, as the clause can not be activated until NEXT summer and with Dortmund refusing to sell this year, United and Liverpool have to bide their time.
Barcelona are in advanced talks to sign Liverpool defender Daniel Agger.
According to Spanish newspaper SPORT, the Catalan giants are close to agreeing a fee in the region of £12m with Liverpool for the Denmark international.
The report also suggests Agger is set to sign a five-year deal and will join former Liverpool team-mate Luis Suarez at the Camp Nou.
Liverpool wrapped up the £20m signing of Southampton centre-back Dejan Lovren on Monday night, adding to the uncertainty surrounding Agger's future.

Reds legend Steve Nicol insists Brendan Rodgers must sign a new striker or face the prospect of missing out on a top four spot this season.
Nicol, who spent 13 years at Anfield, says Rodgers cannot afford to wait and will put Liverpool's chances of remaining in the top four in serious jeopardy if he does not sign a new forward to support Daniel Sturridge in attack.
The Reds were close to sealing a £8.5m deal for QPR forward Loic Remy, but pulled the plug on the transfer and are yet to comment on the specific reason why the move has been scrapped.
Livepool have splashed out £80m on SIX new signings - but one of them is going under the radar.
Rodgers moved to sign Kevin Stewart earlier this month from Premier League rivals Tottenham.
The 20-year-old has been tipped for a bright future and made the first-team bench for Spurs back in 2011 for a Europa League game.

If he's refusing to sign another contract now, & his release clause is due up next summer, then we should offer 40m now.

The prices are insane this summer, if that clause wasn't there then we'd have to pay way way over that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom