• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Falcao is available you pay the money to get him. End of.

Every pound spent on him will be easily recouped in league position, more eyeballs on TV screens, merchandise, etc...the whole enchilada.

Why do you lot even care how much Falcao cost ? Dammit its not as if it's coming out of your pockets is it ?

Buy the fecker. Loan him. Kidnap him. I don't care. Just get him wearing that red jersey asap !!!

Is he definitely fit? He had a very bad injury, so I'm wondering if we'll spend those 10M loan fee + 10M wages just for him to use this season for gaining fitness, and for Madrid to watch and decide if they sign him at the end of the seadon if they like what they see...

Humble pie time for Rojo. Interesting bit about Sporting terminating the agreement with Doyen.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1990593/marcos-rojo-back-in-sporting-training

[article]Marcos Rojo back in Sporting training

Manchester United target Marcos Rojo has apologised to Sporting Lisbon for refusing to train in an attempt to force a move.

United are interested in the Argentina international and reportedly bid 16 million pounds for the World Cup finalist, who seemed to be doing his best to secure an exit.

But the 24-year-old defender confirmed he would return to training with the Portuguese club on Monday after accepting that he was out of line, telling the club's official website: "It was a misunderstanding and I was hot-headed. I regret what happened, because I feel like I didn't act professionally.

"Now I am going to try and fix the situation. We have spoken, we have understood each other and I am back in training at the Academy."

United turned to Rojo after two of their main defensive targets -- Mats Hummels and Thomas Vermaelen -- eluded them, with Van Gaal keen to reinforce his back line following an opening day home defeat to Swansea.

The left-back has also been at the centre of a row between Sporting and sports investment company Doyen, who reportedly stood to earn 75 percent of the proceeds from his sale.

Sporting terminated the agreement with Doyen after accusing them of conspiring with other clubs to ensure bids came in for Rojo.

Regarding a potential move away from Sporting, Rojo said: "The future depends on the club... if something has to happen, then it should be positive for Sporting and for me. I want to make it clear that I am really happy at Sporting, I like how I am treated and the affection that has been shown for me.

"When I was signed, I wasn't going through a good time and the club trusted me. All I can do is thank Sporting."

And the defender also dismissed an alleged violent incident, adding: "It is all a lie and I was annoyed by how things were just made up."[/article]

Napoli are flogging Frederico Fernandez to Swansea for 7mill, he's a CB. Wonder if this will cue a move for Agger.

QPR had a higher wage bill last season than Atleti. They're just not an elite European club, like Real, Barca, Bayern and Utd, and a few others have the potential to be.
It's about pedigree too. By your definition there are prob 3 or 4 elite clubs. By anyone's standards Athletico are an elite euro club.

It's about pedigree too. By your definition there are prob 3 or 4 elite clubs. By anyone's standards Athletico are an elite euro club.

No, no they are not. Not by my standards, for a start. Or by the standards of the numerous elite players who've left them over the years in order to play for - you guessed it - elite European clubs.

I'd say there are currently three elite clubs: Barca, Real, and Bayern. Utd are very close but their current problems probably disqualify them for the present. Chelsea are now close too IMO, although could do with another 3 or 4 major trophies, including another CL, to cement that status.

Juventus are probably the next on the list, but they don't seem to go after the very biggest signings these days.

Milan, Inter, Arsenal, and Liverpool all have the potential but aren't really close at the moment.

No, no they are not. Not by my standards, for a start. Or by the standards of the numerous elite players who've left them over the years in order to play for - you guessed it - elite European clubs.

I'd say there are currently three elite clubs: Barca, Real, and Bayern. Utd are very close but their current problems probably disqualify them for the present. Chelsea are now close too IMO, although could do with another 3 or 4 major trophies, including another CL, to cement that status.

Juventus are probably the next on the list, but they don't seem to go after the very biggest signings these days.

Milan, Inter, Arsenal, and Liverpool all have the potential but aren't really close at the moment.

This has all the hallmarks of a 'world class player' circular argument. But I'm in!

Atletico are a big club with a rich history, yet are not in the elite? Chelsea are a club with fuck all history, who lucked into some money 10 years ago, yet who now stand on the cusp?

Football is about more than money for me. Atletico may currently not have the deep pockets of some but are a great club who (for me) have a higher standing in the game than the likes of Chelsea or City or Monaco or...

Players won't see it that way, mind. Players see it in ££££. Hence them leaving for the nouveau riche.

This has all the hallmarks of a 'world class player' circular argument. But I'm in!

Atletico are a big club with a rich history, yet are not in the elite? Chelsea are a club with fuck all history, who lucked into some money 10 years ago, yet who now stand on the cusp?

Football is about more than money for me. Atletico may currently not have the deep pockets of some but are a great club who (for me) have a higher standing in the game than the likes of Chelsea or City or Monaco or...

Players won't see it that way, mind. Players see it in ££££. Hence them leaving for the nouveau riche.

I would say there are 5 key criteria

Fan base
Revenue
Historical success
Current success
Budget

I'd say you have to tick 3 of those boxes to be in contention as the sort of club we're talking about, the sort of club that the best players in the world will want to be playing for in their prime. Madrid, Barca, and Bayern are the only ones I can think of who tick all five. Atletico perhaps ticks one.

@Hyena Ajax are a big club, but they're not even in the same league as these elite clubs.

I would say there are 5 key criteria

Fan base

Revenue

Historical success

Current success

Budget

That's really just a money elite then. A big budget buys you success, which increases fanbase and revenue and, hey presto, you're an elite club ticking four of your criteria. That's not a criticism, mind, just an observation. Your criteria is probably based more on reality than mine which has a touch of romanticism about it. The reality is that the 'elite' clubs today - the clubs players leave the likes of Liverpool and Atletico for - are just massively rich.

For me, clubs like Liverpool, Ajax, Atletico and Benfica are all clubs I consider to be great ones. But Chelsea? Man City? Monaco? Not for me. I'll leave that to next generation.

One thing I definitely agree with you on is the elite clubs right now; Barca, Real and Bayern. They've got the lot.

We don't disagree. You just seem to think I'm saying something that I'm not. I've got a huge amount of respect and affection for clubs like Ajax and Benfica, and would love nothing more than to see them released from the purgatory of their national circumstances, but in terms of that band of clubs the best players want to go to, or at least stay at if they're already there, they just don't figure.

And in the particular case of Atleti, I'm not sure they qualify even on a romantic's grounds. I think I remember reading that Valencia have more fans than them. And what's their record like? How many league titles have they actually won?

I'd say they're more of a Spurs or a Roma type of size.

I'm kind of with Peter on this - but I don't think his criteria holds - otherwise Glasgow Celtic could be considered European elite.

I think it's first and foremost about consistent & sustained success.

If you consistently reach the last 8 in Europe over a long period (5-10) years then you're elite.

You will have to have significant resources to do that - which may be large fanbase or rich owner.

What Athletico are- like us - is an emerging team with designs on being an elite team.

I'm kind of with Peter on this - but I don't think his criteria holds - otherwise Glasgow Celtic could be considered European elite.

I think it's first and foremost about consistent & sustained success.

If you consistently reach the last 8 in Europe over a long period (5-10) years then you're elite.

You will have to have significant resources to do that - which may be large fanbase or rich owner.

What Athletico are- like us - is an emerging team with designs on being an elite team.

I should perhaps have said that by 'success' I meant success that would be valued by any big club, so about 100 SPL titles, especially the more recent ones, doesn't really cut it.

For those unfortunate teams like Celtic and Ajax and Benfica stuck in crap leagues I'd largely look at past and current European success, therefore.

We don't disagree. You just seem to think I'm saying something that I'm not. I've got a huge amount of respect and affection for clubs like Ajax and Benfica, and would love nothing more than to see them released from the purgatory of their national circumstances, but in terms of that band of clubs the best players want to go to, or at least stay at if they're already there, they just don't figure.

And in the particular case of Atleti, I'm not sure they qualify even on a romantic's grounds. I think I remember reading that Valencia have more fans than them. And what's their record like? How many league titles have they actually won?

I'd say they're more of a Spurs or a Roma type of size.

No, but my own judgement isn't based on that, really. That's just a money thing. If Ajax, Benfica or Atletico came into oil type money, players would swiftly be queuing up to go there.

But, yeah, if an elite club is one where players want to go, no Atletico isn't one. And Chelsea, seemingly, is. Or almost is. Or whatever. So I think we do disagree there.

I guess this really is a subjective topic (which I obviously knew before I entered the thread!). I'd prefer an Ajax or a Benfica to a Monaco or a Chelsea, even if top players don't.

Maybe I just have a grudge against oil.

*sells car*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom