• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lavezzi is apparently there too, strangely.

It's a link that won't go away but he's 29 and in his last 10 seasons has only scored double figures four times . The most he got was 12 last season . I wouldn't be too excited if we got him .

I hope something concrete comes out regarding Falcao soon, one way or another. It's dragging on enough now to actually get me thinking it could happen.

£75m from here in two weeks, unlikely who knows it could happen :)

I think Rojo will be a solid addition to the squad can play as CB and also provides cover for Shaw at LB.

Seems to me that with the delay and disruption caused by the change in manager, that Van Gaal has potentially caused a huge amount of damage to Utd's chances of building a great squad. Not to mention that his stupid insistence on 3-5-2 will mean that many of the players he signs (Rojo a prime example) aren't even going to be particularly useful in a couple of years' time once he's fucked off. If you'd kept Moyes you might be lining up

De Gea

Rafael
Benatia
Jones
Shaw

Cuadrado
Kroos
Vidal
Di Maria

Rooney
Van Persie

But by sacking him and getting Van Gaal you're instead going into the season with the shittest Utd side in 25 years.

What a bunch of fucking tossers you cunts have got running your fucking scum club.

How much have Sporting and Porto made in transfer dealings over the last decade?

Hard to say, with all the 3rd party arrangements. Sporting is/was also in some financial difficulty, and with the state of their economy, things don't get better. Posted an article on this last week somewhere.

I used to think they made a lot, but once you factor in the fact that they don't own 100% of most of these guys they sell, they probably don't make as much as we think. Take Rojo for example. Before Sporting supposedly cancelled their arrangement with Doyen Sports, they were reported to own just 25% of his economic rights. So that's 4m euros if he goes for 20m euros.

Even if they own 100% of his rights now, they'd have had to pay Doyen a hefty amount to buy back the other 75% of his rights (interest included, obviously). With the story back then of them pushing for a 15/16m euro sale, I assume Sporting have had to pay them something close to 12m to buy back his rights. Sporting makes a 8m profit from this deal if it goes through - still good money of course, considering their initial outlay, but just not as much as the headline numbers.

No, no they are not. Not by my standards, for a start. Or by the standards of the numerous elite players who've left them over the years in order to play for - you guessed it - elite European clubs.

I'd say there are currently three elite clubs: Barca, Real, and Bayern. Utd are very close but their current problems probably disqualify them for the present. Chelsea are now close too IMO, although could do with another 3 or 4 major trophies, including another CL, to cement that status.

Juventus are probably the next on the list, but they don't seem to go after the very biggest signings these days.

Milan, Inter, Arsenal, and Liverpool all have the potential but aren't really close at the moment.
I think where we disagree is on how many clubs are elite.you've adopted an overtly exclusive definition IMO, restricting it to 3 or 4 clubs. Athletico are the third most successful team in arguably the best league in the world. Recently they have had success in Europe and home (beyond) after a period of turmoil. But even by your own standards they tick the boxes of current/historical success and fan base. They still attract some of the best players in the world, sure they lose them to bigger clubs, but apart from real and barca, most clubs suffer this fate.

But by sacking him and getting Van Gaal you're instead going into the season with the shittest Utd side in 25 years.

What a bunch of fucking tossers you cunts have got running your fucking scum club.

Lol I'd love to see Cuadrado / Kroos / Di Maria play for Moyes....

Ha! Yeah, PSG have blown everyone out of the water on that one. I think you need to spend about 75 mill or something to "win " that one.

Rojo is a good addition but a long way from the quality needed imho.

Hang on .. if United only need to spend £130m then we're still in it too ;)

Does it come with an automatic CL spot for 2015/16 ?

Seems to me that with the delay and disruption caused by the change in manager, that Van Gaal has potentially caused a huge amount of damage to Utd's chances of building a great squad. Not to mention that his stupid insistence on 3-5-2 will mean that many of the players he signs (Rojo a prime example) aren't even going to be particularly useful in a couple of years' time once he's fucked off. If you'd kept Moyes you might be lining up

De Gea

Rafael
Benatia
Jones
Shaw

Cuadrado
Kroos
Vidal
Di Maria

Rooney
Van Persie

What a load of rubbish.

As demonstrated by the Herrera and Shaw deals if deals were there to be done early then they would have been done

The only one of those players that has actually moved so far is Kroos and once RM there was only ever one likely destination.

All the others are still on the market so not really missed yet. No idea whether we are in for all, any or none of them we will just have to wait and see.

No question, changing managers has set us back a few months in terms of transfers. But I would rather that than retaining Moyes who would set us back years.

What a load of rubbish.

As demonstrated by the Herrera and Shaw deals if deals were there to be done early then they would have been done

The only one of those players that has actually moved so far is Kroos and once RM there was only ever one likely destination.

All the others are still on the market so not really missed yet. No idea whether we are in for all, any or none of them we will just have to wait and see.

No question, changing managers has set us back a few months in terms of transfers. But I would rather that than retaining Moyes who would set us back years.
Ah now, Mr Hague may have exaggerated the players Sir Moyes would have signed, but you have to hand it to him for his final sentence - absolutely spot on :

One thing I don't quite understand, is that I've read Jonathan Wilson mention in an article last week that Van Gaal's preferred system is the 4-3-3 (or variant of it). I know he went with the 3-5-2 with the Netherlands at the World Cup due to the players available to him, but why did he have to stick with it with the Mancs? Unlike with the national team, the personnel quality problem is one that can generally be solved by money, which means he could've just stuck with a 4-3-3 or whatever he preferred in the pre-season while pushing for the new CB knight in shiny armor to arrive, instead of trying to convert the team to play a new way.

It'd make sense to cut the coat according to the cloth if you were sure you weren't going to get the upgrade you need. Otherwise, why introduce more complexity into a new job? Are they really having problems attracting a couple of new CBs or are there some spending limits they're bumping up against?

When are those two gonna break into the side? Are they injured?

Haven't heard of them mate.

No just a personal bugbear of mine.

Everytime I hear that he is a bad CEO just because he didn't bring in player X or Y rumoured in the media and should be fired, I think what nonsense.

People vastly over estimate the importance of the CEO in transfer dealings.

The scouts identify the player, the manager decides if they want to buy them, the selling club set the starting point for negotiating and the owners set the maximum price they willl pay for a player. There may be some room in the middle where the CEO does some negotiating but that is about the extent to it.

The media/agents make up so many rumours to suit their own agenda and then supporters seem to think we have missed out on player X, Y and Z because of the CEO. When in reality we may never have been in for them. Or their agent was haking them around looking for a move or a new contract and the manager simply didn't want them.

The role of the CEO is to run the whole business, top and bottom line. And despite what our own and other fans think Woodward is a damn good CEO.

To negotiate the Adidas deal he did given the state we are in is some achievement. Even with no CL it is still £20m pa more than the one Real Madrid got just two years ago. And an even bigger plus that has gone unnoticed is that like your warrior deal it allows us to sell non branded Adidas stuff in stores and online.

The point you make about it not adding players on field is true but it certainly makes it much easier to do it.

I hope something concrete comes out regarding Falcao soon, one way or another. It's dragging on enough now to actually get me thinking it could happen.

Be prepared for the whole thing to drag out to the bitter end. Falcao is waiting for Real Madrid to come in for him, but Real Madrid need to sell/loan out a non-EU player in order to bring him in (Di Maria?). If Madrid don't, I think he'd be up for a year long loan to us. But he'll give Real Madrid every chance to get him, I think.

Looks like Marcos Rojo to Man Utd is a done deal. Probably will play LWB for a start and then move into LCB when Shaw is fit and slim again.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1992276...ng-libon-says-he-is-joining-manchester-united

[article]Marcos Rojo announces United move

Sporting Lisbon defender Marcos Rojo has announced that he is joining Manchester United.

The Argentina international, 24, apologised to Sporting this week after attempting to force through the transfer when the English club had a reported bid of 16 million pounds rejected.

However, he told Radio Continental in his homeland that the move is now in place.

"I am at home with the family in Portugal, but getting ready to travel to Manchester tomorrow [on Tuesday]," he said. "The truth is this is a dream. The World Cup was really nice, and now this step in my career. I am very happy."

United turned to Rojo after two of their main defensive targets -- Mats Hummels and Thomas Vermaelen -- eluded them, with Louis van Gaal keen to reinforce his back line following an opening day home defeat to Swansea.

The left-back has also been at the centre of a row between Sporting and sports investment company Doyen, which reportedly stood to earn 75 percent of the proceeds from his sale.

Sporting terminated the agreement with Doyen after accusing it of conspiring with other clubs to ensure bids came in for Rojo.

Rojo added: "It was difficult -- the truth is it was hard during some moments, but everything is being sorted out in the best way, as I wanted, because my idea is to keep improving. Things have gone very well for me in Portugal and it is hard to leave as I have many friends at the club, but I must keep growing, keep improving."

Asked about working under Van Gaal, he said: "I have not spoken at all with the coach. It is always difficult to go to a big club, but they wanted me, they waited for me, and that made me a bit more relaxed. It will depend on me whether I play or not."

He said he was happy to be utilised in any position at Old Trafford.

"It does not matter to me," he said. "Maybe here in Portugal I have played at centre-half, and have been a bit more comfortable, but at the World Cup it went well playing on the wing [wing-back]. I had a good World Cup in that position. Things can go well if you work on them."

Rojo began his career at Estudiantes in Argentina before moving to Europe, initially with Spartak Moscow in 2011.

He said he had previously spoken to former United midfielder Juan Sebastien Veron, who now works as Estudiantes' sporting director, about the club.

"When we were at Estudiantes, Veron said a lot to me about the club," he said, adding: "It is going to be a nice experience. I hope I can adapt quickly to the style of play."[/article]

One thing I don't quite understand, is that I've read Jonathan Wilson mention in an article last week that Van Gaal's preferred system is the 4-3-3 (or variant of it). I know he went with the 3-5-2 with the Netherlands at the World Cup due to the players available to him, but why did he have to stick with it with the Mancs? Unlike with the national team, the personnel quality problem is one that can generally be solved by money, which means he could've just stuck with a 4-3-3 or whatever he preferred in the pre-season while pushing for the new CB knight in shiny armor to arrive, instead of trying to convert the team to play a new way.

It'd make sense to cut the coat according to the cloth if you were sure you weren't going to get the upgrade you need. Otherwise, why introduce more complexity into a new job? Are they really having problems attracting a couple of new CBs or are there some spending limits they're bumping up against?

I think LVG explained by saying that most of the players were already used to playing 433 so the practice was needed for that system.

No just a personal bugbear of mine.

Everytime I hear that he is a bad CEO just because he didn't bring in player X or Y rumoured in the media and should be fired, I think what nonsense.

People vastly over estimate the importance of the CEO in transfer dealings.

The scouts identify the player, the manager decides if they want to buy them, the selling club set the starting point for negotiating and the owners set the maximum price they willl pay for a player. There may be some room in the middle where the CEO does some negotiating but that is about the extent to it.

The media/agents make up so many rumours to suit their own agenda and then supporters seem to think we have missed out on player X, Y and Z because of the CEO. When in reality we may never have been in for them. Or their agent was haking them around looking for a move or a new contract and the manager simply didn't want them.

The role of the CEO is to run the whole business, top and bottom line. And despite what our own and other fans think Woodward is a damn good CEO.

To negotiate the Adidas deal he did given the state we are in is some achievement. Even with no CL it is still £20m pa more than the one Real Madrid got just two years ago. And an even bigger plus that has gone unnoticed is that like your warrior deal it allows us to sell non branded Adidas stuff in stores and online.

The point you make about it not adding players on field is true but it certainly makes it much easier to do it.

Interesting post, but your overall view doesn't explain how David Gill succeeded so often at getting transfer deals across the line and Woodward hasn't. The CEO may not do all, or even very much, of the legwork himself but it is his ultimate responsibility to get it done. Maybe it boils down to the fact that Woodward is a good businessman but not fundamentally a football man?

He may have gone for the 3-4-1-2 or whatever you want to call it because a) he wants a system that can incorporate Van Persie, Rooney and Mata, which essentially necessitates the 1-2 part of the 3-4-1-2 b) a 4-3-3 relies on full backs getting high up the pitch, potentially leaving the centre backs exposed unless you have a top drawer defensive midfielder/pivot - Man Utd don't have top class centre backs or a top class defensive midfielder and c) he was getting over the top praise for the formation in the world cup and given he's a raging egomaniac believed he'd invented it and wanted more of the same.

Interesting post, but your overall view doesn't explain how David Gill succeeded so often at getting transfer deals across the line and Woodward hasn't. The CEO may not do all, or even very much, of the legwork himself but it is his ultimate responsibility to get it done. Maybe it boils down to the fact that Woodward is a good businessman but not fundamentally a football man?

Going on what's in the public domain, it's impossible to say where any one particular deal fell down. Gill may well have fallen short on loads of deals but he managed to keep a lid on them all. Maybe Woodward isn't as savvy with the media and these things get leaked. Who's to know...

We seem to miss out on targets as well - too many for me - and the blame is placed at the feet of Ayre; maybe rightly, I have no idea. But I do think we don't know half of what goes on so the reality maybe very different.

Be prepared for the whole thing to drag out to the bitter end. Falcao is waiting for Real Madrid to come in for him, but Real Madrid need to sell/loan out a non-EU player in order to bring him in (Di Maria?). If Madrid don't, I think he'd be up for a year long loan to us. But he'll give Real Madrid every chance to get him, I think.

So if it all comes off and he ends up here will he give us his all having just come back from serious injury and knowing he is off to RM next season? For the money involved a massive gamble.

Oliver T: wouldn't disagree with that as far as it goes, but there does come a point at which someone in Woodward's position, i.e.the one where the buck stops, has to be judged by results. Gill had a successful record of long standing where transfers are concerned. Woodward's start (and I admit that's what it is so far) isn't looking promising by comparison.

All going Ian Ayre eh...?

Well to be frank, Man Utd is a much harder sell without Sir Alex and CL football.

I think their problem at this moment is aiming too high.
Their heads are still in Chelsea/Real-land but reality is they are now at the Pool / Arsenal / Spurs level in terms of attractiveness to players.

There is a window to catch the Kroos / Cuadrado / Vidals but if they miss it, and don't get anyone else, they'll soon be looking at the likes of Ashley Williams and Benteke.

Gill missed out on loafs of targets but they are all forgotten now. Ronaldinho in 2003 being the one most vivid in my mind.

The reality the Media seems to think we are targeting world class players from fairly big European clubs. That may or may not be the case, but it probably is the level of player we need to be going for.

However, with a few notable exceptions most of our big money signings have been from other English clubs not European. We have tended get more mid range players from abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom