• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which match am I? (Let's play a game!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the ones with stupid clues don't count eh?

Cryptic crossword clues have rules. Surprisingly strict rules, actually. It's so people have a fair chance of solving what are already fairly obscure plays on words.

Count's clue was basically very good, in fact one of the better ones, but the part about 'a Scot' wouldn't be acceptable as a crossword clue, because it was literally untrue. The whole point of cryptic clues is that they should be literally true but have a hidden meaning on careful reading.

Portsmouth 0 - 1 Liverpool, August 1922

Dick Forshaw scored in the first minute from a deflected free kick. For the remainder of the match Portsmouth were encamped in the Liverpool goal area with their star striker and local docker, Cuthbert Crickleshank, kicking the unfortunate Elisha Scott on multiple occasions, during which the intrepid Ulsterman sustained 3 broken ribs and a dislocated toe - but soldiered on. Much to the amazement of all present, Liverpool's ultra defensive 2-3-5 formation held out for the win - at times, with even wing forward Harry Beadles venturing behind the half way line to assist his defenders.

I win - whats the prize?

Portsmouth 0 - 1 Liverpool, August 1922

Dick Forshaw scored in the first minute from a deflected free kick. For the remainder of the match Portsmouth were encamped in the Liverpool goal area with their star striker and local docker, Cuthbert Crickleshank, kicking the unfortunate Elisha Scott on multiple occasions, during which the intrepid Ulsterman sustained 3 broken ribs and a dislocated toe - but soldiered on. Much to the amazement of all present, Liverpool's ultra defensive 2-3-5 formation held out for the win - at times, with even wing forward Harry Beadles venturing behind the half way line to assist his defenders.

I win - whats the prize?

No, sorry.

There are plenty of clues in the words already written, enough to find the opposing team now first.

I remember a match against Southampton in the 90s that we lost 4-2 or something. It was in the snow, so may have been using a red ball ....

I would say the beach ball game against Sunderland, but can't fit in the "down south" unless I'm in Edinburgh ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom